Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019 - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

post #181 of 198 Old 12-19-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2719 Post(s)
Liked: 3157
Yul was a great winner looking forward to how he plays, Sandra has no shot but I will root for her.

Was hoping for Dean, not a great season, less idols and what not would be nice.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 198 Old 12-19-2019, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Don't think tommy should've won this season.............

Thought Dean was the winner , with Noura close second.........

Liked that noura was just herself........... told it like it is ............

I don't see how tommy could go back to school and tell kids to speak the truth after
that performance..........

Like the Idea of bringing tokens for season 40 ............ , which allow you to buy
food, hints ........... etc.............

Get rid of sandra , first day !
post #183 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
Goodbye and good riddance to what was, IMO, a lackluster Season and should be ranked among the worst in "Survivor" history ..

I can't believe Noura did not garner a single vote .. I guess because her Strategy was no Strategy at all .. que in Sinatra singing "I Gotta Be Me" ..

For the first time that I can remember, I was not really rooting for any particular player ..

As far as the "Sia Awards" .. she can hand out money to whoever she likes .. but, if I were Noura the Free Spirit, I think I would have been a bit disappointed that a fellow Free Spirit decided to not gift her a nickel ..
cardoski likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

And, as always, thanks to all of you that participated in the Thread ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #185 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Does Survivor need to talk to Sue Hawke about her "incident"?
post #186 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
Does Survivor need to talk to Sue Hawke about her "incident"?
Oh, yeah .. Sue "snakes and rats" .. if memory serves, I think there was some sort of monetary settlement involved ..

Hatch, of course, had Karma catch up to him via the Tax Evasion issue and prison .. and, had he been able, was slated to be on Heroes vs. Villains as well as Redemption Island .. so, at that point, Burnett and the crew must not have cared much about the incident involving Sue ..
John dhein likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #187 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Put me in the camp of this being one of the worst seasons I can recall. Totally uninteresting group, especially the three finalists. Survivor has developed a problem of "self." Self-important, self-indulgent, self-righteous and self-congratulating. Probst seems to actively seek ways in which he can declare this tv show to be the most socially important teaching device ever created. The speechifying both from contestants and host has gotten so arch and exaggerated that it's almost funny.

On the other hand, I do admit the upcoming cast and premise has some promise. When I first saw Rob and Sandra, I thought they'd be gone instantly. However, since all contestants are previous winners, maybe not. I'm holding out hope that the new season is a big improvement with less societal petri dish proclamations and self-important posturing.
MikeKlim likes this.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #188 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

I think the good news is, next season brings back some "old School" players .. not these young bucks (mostly) that have studied the game since they were toddlers and have swayed things over the last few years to fit within their own Gameplay Agendas ..
cardoski likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #189 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 3379
I am really pleased to hear the prize for next season is $2 million instead of $1 million.

@mgkdragn you going to start the thread for the next season so we can start discussing it there, starts in a couple months.

post #190 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hd...l#post58984908
cardoski likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #191 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 914
That was an excellent final tribal. They’ve been tweaking the format and have de-emphasized the spotlight for the jurors. This reduces the chances of somebody trying to just grab the spotlight by making a scene. Sometimes the jurors just gave speech with no relevant questions. This also gave more time to the finalists to state their cases. Dean certainly fought hard for the crown. Tommy won on the relationships he forged. As Dean stated, he did not build bridges with everyone on the jury and that doomed him even though he picked up his game at the end. Noura was just too flaky. And torturing the three others after she won final immunity was just cruel.
post #192 of 198 Old 12-20-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I have a hard time believing that a "leg touch" was the only thing that got him booted .. it had to be a culmination of prior incidents .. sometimes I wonder if contestants realize after a while anyway, that they are constantly on camera ..

After his emotional visit with his Son last week, I was willing to give Dan the benefit of the doubt ..

And, as cynical as I am these days, I can't help but wonder if there was a bit of a ratings ploy involved ..
Something isn't right...although he does seem questionable...it seems the producers played up what was there into something way more...this season more than any seemed about political correctness in our current society...and made points with several issues, not just the DAn incident. It was pretentious...like the rest of the drama, they create when editing/scripting. And yes I am going there making this analogy but not in terms of hierarchal moral equivalence, just the drama related,...it is like the challenges when Jeff over exaggerates and amplifies rhetoric because if he didn't without editing...wow...zzzzzzzzzz. I get the point of not minimizing the impact of what took place because it is personal for me, but I also get the point of over maximizing events which is what Survivor tries to do more than anything else

Last edited by Hughmc; 12-20-2019 at 08:10 PM.
post #193 of 198 Old 12-21-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post
Something isn't right...although he does seem questionable...it seems the producers played up what was there into something way more...this season more than any seemed about political correctness in our current society...and made points with several issues, not just the DAn incident. It was pretentious...like the rest of the drama, they create when editing/scripting. And yes I am going there making this analogy but not in terms of hierarchal moral equivalence, just the drama related,...it is like the challenges when Jeff over exaggerates and amplifies rhetoric because if he didn't without editing...wow...zzzzzzzzzz. I get the point of not minimizing the impact of what took place because it is personal for me, but I also get the point of over maximizing events which is what Survivor tries to do more than anything else
I don’t think this is the kind of drama CBS wants to play up. They’d probably want to sweep it up under the rug and pay off the parties involved to keep it hidden. But most of it was caught on video and then they had to remove him from the game, so they had no choice but to air it and try to make themselves look like they were addressing the problem. And you could see that they did that at the beginning. Kellee told Dan that she didn’t like him touching her and the problem seemed to go away because Dan kept his distance and then the tribe swap kept them apart. But Dan still kept up his uninvited touches with the other women. They grinned and beared it because they weren’t as sensitive to it as Kellee or they didn’t want to make a commotion or whatever, but they showed a scene at night where he was “snuggling” up to one of the women and she tried to shift away from him.

Then after the merge, he went back to being too familiar with Kellee and that’s when the producers half heartedly stepped in and issued vague warnings. I read somewhere that the way that they spoke to the other cast members was so generic, most of them didn’t know what was going on. Even if the “last straw” incident with the crew member was an accident, it’s apparent that people were feeling uncomfortable around him to the point where they had to remove him for everyone’s sake. Remember that we only see snippets of the 39 days that they are on the island. Crew members are with the castaways 24 hours a day and see everything going on.

Do you think CBS would risk a highly public lawsuit from Dan just for a ratings bump for one season? And keep in mind that Dan is not some pig farmer from Hicksville, USA. He is in the entertainment industry, so he has the connections and resources to make CBS’ life miserable.

It’s clear that Kellee’s first complaints were viewed as her own neurotic phobias to germs and close contact, and she chose to handle it between Dan and herself plus none of the other women complained so production felt like they were off the hook. It wasn’t until D and K were back together at the merge and K still felt uncomfortable that they were forced to step in. The Survivor crew have seen everything in 20 years of the show and times have changed. They can no longer view complaints as just someone being hysterical or overly sensitive. Is it going to be acceptable for someone to parade around camp naked all the time to explicitly make people uncomfortable?

The one I feel bad for is Dan’s son. He has to go to school and face his classmates after all this.
curtlots likes this.
post #194 of 198 Old 12-21-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Richard went beyond parading around nude.

He rubbed his junk on another player.

He should have been dismissed, and Sue ought to have been offered counseling as the victim of a sexual assault she was, rather than having her quit because she did not want to be around her assaulter.
post #195 of 198 Old 12-21-2019, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

He should have been dismissed, and Sue ought to have been offered counseling as the victim of a sexual assault she was, rather than having her quit because she did not want to be around her assaulter.
I barely remember the incident and a lot of people probably thought she was being over dramatic and should have sucked it up and kept going. Was it an accident or was did he do it on purpose. Nowadays, it wouldn’t get to the point where it would be debated. If anyone is uncomfortable from someone being naked all the time, the exhibitionist will have to put on clothes. This is Survivor, not Naked and Afraid.
post #196 of 198 Old 12-21-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

During the "junk rub" challenge, I would put as much blame on the Producers as anybody .. they let Richard go nude and they knew there was a high likelihood of contact .. whether accidental or not ..

I won't defend any inappropriate actions conducted by any Contestant .. but I will say, allowing playing nude is asking for trouble .. and, there have been challenges where somebody has to climb a wall or what have you and the person behind them has pushed them up by their butt, etc .. total and complete non-physical contact is really impossible ..

Uncle Willie

post #197 of 198 Old 12-21-2019, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
I barely remember the incident and a lot of people probably thought she was being over dramatic and should have sucked it up and kept going. Was it an accident or was did he do it on purpose. Nowadays, it wouldn’t get to the point where it would be debated. If anyone is uncomfortable from someone being naked all the time, the exhibitionist will have to put on clothes. This is Survivor, not Naked and Afraid.
Just for perspective :: a quote from Jeff in 2003 .. ""It was an odd thing. We are well aware there was some content that was not appropriate ... We don't want that every season but we can't ignore it," Probst said. He said that when you design a "$20 million adventure" and then turn it over to 16 people who don't care about the show and just want to win the $1 million prize, things happen. It was even more unpredictable this time around with the initial tribal segregation of men and women."

This was in response to in Amazon, Heidi Strobel and Jenna Morasca are so desperate for peanut butter and chocolate that they tell host Jeff that they will strip naked if he can produce some. Jeff brings out a plate of peanut butter and Oreos, so Heidi and Jenna strip naked .. later going on to pose for Playboy .. unscripted, sure, encouraged by Jeff, ditto ..
John dhein and scottiemon like this.

Uncle Willie

post #198 of 198 Old 12-21-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Just for perspective :: a quote from Jeff in 2003 .. ""It was an odd thing. We are well aware there was some content that was not appropriate ... We don't want that every season but we can't ignore it," Probst said. He said that when you design a "$20 million adventure" and then turn it over to 16 people who don't care about the show and just want to win the $1 million prize, things happen. It was even more unpredictable this time around with the initial tribal segregation of men and women."

This was in response to in Amazon, Heidi Strobel and Jenna Morasca are so desperate for peanut butter and chocolate that they tell host Jeff that they will strip naked if he can produce some. Jeff brings out a plate of peanut butter and Oreos, so Heidi and Jenna strip naked .. later going on to pose for Playboy .. unscripted, sure, encouraged by Jeff, ditto ..
I still have that Playboy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page