AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/3086272-survivor-island-idols-cbs-hd-9-25-2019-a.html)

mgkdragn 08-23-2019 08:57 AM

Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019
 
Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019

Survivor’s thirty-ninth season, Island of the Idols, will premiere Wednesday, September 25 at 8:00 PM and fans will be happy to hear it’s a special 90-minute episode. This marks a return to the 90-minute premiere format following last season’s underwhelming 60-minute Edge of Extinction opener.

The season, which was filmed in Fiji earlier this year, features 20 brand new castaways, and the return of Survivor icons “Boston” Rob Mariano and Sandra Diaz-Twine, who will act as “mentors.” As previously reported, Rob and Sandra will live on a separate island, the titular Island of the Idols, where throughout the game castaways will visit for advice and advantages.


mgkdragn 08-23-2019 11:13 AM

I guess I applaud the fine folks that come up with new ideas for new Seasons .. I don't know how the Rob / Sandra thing will work out .. I'm sure some contestants will attempt to ingratiate themselves .. at least it's an all-new Cast ..

Boston Rob has definitely made a living off the show .. what was it, 4 times as a Player before he won .. ??

WilliamR 08-23-2019 03:24 PM

How did I know you would start a thread for this? I almost did, but didn't want to break the trend. :)

mgkdragn 08-23-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamR (Post 58463618)
How did I know you would start a thread for this? I almost did, but didn't want to break the trend. :)

I appreciate that .. after all, I've been hosting the Thread for some time .. it's harder and harder these days to get a new Thread since there are generally few crumbs left unless you happen to find a really obscure show, and then you get no Posts .. at my age, I take the thrills when I can get them .. :D

bswiz 08-28-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgkdragn (Post 58463690)
I appreciate that .. after all, I've been hosting the Thread for some time .. it's harder and harder these days to get a new Thread since there are generally few crumbs left unless you happen to find a really obscure show, and then you get no Posts .. at my age, I take the thrills when I can get them .. :D

Couple things we can count on:
  • Survivor reusing players
  • mgkdragn starting the thread for each new season

I look forward to another round of bitching about players, comments on who looks the best in a bathing suit, and longing for the "good old days" when the players didn't get food and coffee.

mgkdragn 08-28-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bswiz (Post 58485280)
Couple things we can count on:
  • Survivor reusing players
  • mgkdragn starting the thread for each new season

I look forward to another round of bitching about players, comments on who looks the best in a bathing suit, and longing for the "good old days" when the players didn't get food and coffee.

Can't wait .. sometimes I get as much a kick out of the Thread discussion as I do the show .. :D

scottiemon 08-28-2019 05:52 PM

I just hope Directv can get to an agreement with Nexstar before the season starts....along with other shows on CBS I watch. Bastages.

WilliamR 09-09-2019 11:31 AM

EW has the cast with pictures/bios: https://ew.com/tv/survivor-island-of-the-idols-cast/

WilliamR 09-10-2019 11:10 AM

Jeff Probst explains how it will work this season: https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/10/survivo...ols-season-39/

Panson 09-10-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgkdragn (Post 58463690)
I appreciate that .. after all, I've been hosting the Thread for some time .. it's harder and harder these days to get a new Thread since there are generally few crumbs left unless you happen to find a really obscure show, and then you get no Posts .. at my age, I take the thrills when I can get them .. :D

You're simply aging with Survivors. Contestant Richard Hatch (58), Host Jeff Probst (56).

What a varied life Hatch has led.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...vor_contestant)

Probst, ordained minister and snuffer collector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Probst

Your thread enthusiasm just might get back to watching. Johnny Fairplay (45) remains my favorite. Cheers.

mgkdragn 09-10-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panson (Post 58539112)
You're simply aging with Survivors. Contestant Richard Hatch (58), Host Jeff Probst (56).

What a varied life Hatch has led.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...vor_contestant)

Probst, ordained minister and snuffer collector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Probst

Your thread enthusiasm just might get back to watching. Johnny Fairplay (45) remains my favorite. Cheers.

Well, at 74, I have a few years on those two .. :eek: .. although I do share being an Ordained Minister with Mr. Jeff .. :cool:

Eventually 09-10-2019 02:20 PM

Looking forward to another season, though I am not impressed yet with the theme or “mentors."
Though I always pull for underdogs finding Idols.

WaTaGuMp 09-18-2019 10:50 PM

Gawd, not Sandra again. :(

mgkdragn 09-19-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp (Post 58578352)
Gawd, not Sandra again. :(

I kept wondering if the crew actually constructed those Giant Heads of Sandra & Rob or if they were CGI ..

6 Days ..

MeatChicken 09-19-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgkdragn (Post 58581242)
I kept wondering if the crew actually constructed those Giant Heads of Sandra & Rob or if they were CGI ..

6 Days ..

.... And what exactly is the point of Rob & Sandra dramatically "living alone together" for the game, on their apparent exile type island ...
Waiting to see how they explain the reasoning for that ... It's not needed, if once or twice every week so they simply give a day or so "boot camp" lesson to a couple of contestants ...
Do they get boated over to watch the competitions? ....

mgkdragn 09-19-2019 03:02 PM

I'd also guess that, although the show will likely show Sandra and Rob working, doing this and that periodically, in truth, they will likely be in the lap of luxury ..

"Bring me another Mai Tai, would you .. ??"

hooked01 09-19-2019 06:24 PM


mgkdragn 09-20-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooked01 (Post 58582626)

It's an interesting read .. I don't know if this is injecting even more advantages into the Game .. and the idea that Sandra and Rob have the free will to offer up higher and higher bribery to take a Challenge against one of them .. ?? If a Player scored an exceptionally great advantage, such as the mentioned "Immunity Idol Good at 3 Tribals", it could really, really sway things ..

I'm curious how this is going to play out ..

bswiz 09-24-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgkdragn (Post 58581242)
I kept wondering if the crew actually constructed those Giant Heads of Sandra & Rob or if they were CGI ..

I think those are actual size.

mgkdragn 09-24-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bswiz (Post 58600446)
I think those are actual size.

When I thought about your comment for a second, I had to chuckle ..

WaTaGuMp 09-25-2019 02:07 PM

I am just glad its Survivor Wednesday again.

https://i.postimg.cc/TYjYGNk2/giphy.gif

mgkdragn 09-25-2019 03:37 PM

I'll let the DVR run for a bit before beginning to watch / skip the commercials .. snacks and libations at the ready .. might even mix me up a margarita or three .. we could always call it an on-line Watch Party ..

I was kind of on the fence early on about this show concept, but as things got closer, I really began to think it could be good .. while I'm not a huge Sandra / Rob fan, I'm curious to see how it all plays ..

Enjoy .. :cool:

WaTaGuMp 09-25-2019 11:05 PM

ROFL, Elaine ending up with zero votes.

cardoski 09-25-2019 11:10 PM

I loved this episode, going to be a fun season.

MeatChicken 09-26-2019 11:36 AM

... Not sure how I feel about the idea for the island girl to make up that Urn story ....
As soon as others go to the island, they will know she's full of *it, and more fodder to think she has a power to be flushed out or make her a target ....
When Rob asked her to "pick" the other tribe's member to go there next, but it turned out she didn't actually get to "pick" anyone at all, nor did we the viewers even see who it was on the stone .... At a minimum, both the viewers and Island girl should have been given that info .. ( later in the game it could be helpful to pull that person aside and say, "I got you to go to the Isl of the Idols, hope it helped you" ..)

hooked01 09-27-2019 05:36 AM

I found the “Idols” twist entertaining. They brought back two strong players, but they’re not competing so they can be themselves instead of having to play the game.

We’ll see how it all shakes out as more people start going for a visit. So I guess they’re going to alternate tribes for a visit no matter which one loses. I thought it was strange that a member of the losing tribe got to go on the “reward.”

And I thought it was okay that Elizabeth chose to challenge BR in fire making. She didn’t stand a great chance against him, but she took the risk that she wouldn’t need her own vote at tribal.

Ronnie being blindsided was perfect. He and the other dude thought they were running the show, but everybody else voted against them.

mgkdragn 09-27-2019 08:08 AM

Like all season premier episodes, the contestants are raring to go, all optimistic, chatty, some hit the sand ready to immediately try and play a "great" game that they have made up in their head .. it always gets better and better for me as they begin to wear down and get to the nitty gritty ..

The older lady making fire immediately was a nice touch on her part, I don't know if that will keep her in the game any longer length of time, but she seems like a real fighter that may have a good game plan ..

Sandra and Rob are coming across a bit different than I expected, I guess I figured they would be more arrogant .. they both really do seem to want to help .. Elizabeth taking Rob's challenge was a ballsy move .. and, I think Elizabeth did learn some things .. I'd guess the next to go to Idol Island would be facing off against Sandra .. since the name draw, (I think .. maybe wrong), revealed that it would be from the other Tribe, that may have influenced Elizabeth choice to keep the Rob / Sandra deal on the down low .. she knew her Tribe would not find out immediately anyway .. it's just a matter of time before the truth of Idol Island comes out .. in fact, players could help with their alliances by revealing what was what when they went ..

Rob and Sandra secretly listening in at Tribal was a nice touch ..

All in all, a very good start .. although some of the Commercial Breaks seemed excessively long, and the slipping in of a tiny clip of Survivor in the middle of the Commercial Break is a nasty way to get you to stop and see if you missed something ..

MeatChicken 09-27-2019 09:13 AM

..... Since Rob & Sandra listen in on the Tribals, and also meet & ask Idol Island visitors about their alliances and game play, etc, I wonder if they will , later in the game, give serious strategy tips to a few players, based on their accumulated "inside info" .... They will end up knowing who's in/not in alliances, possibly even find out potential targets for tribal ...
Could Rob/Sandra actually "tell" a player that doesn't know members of another alliance, who those members are, or hint/tell them they are a target for the next tribal ...
If so, this info could be given as either reward for winning a Idl Isl challenge, or just outright ...
Could be a very interesting twist, but could also be seen as the "producers" getting a player(s) they want further in the game...

mgkdragn 09-27-2019 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeatChicken (Post 58614100)
..... Since Rob & Sandra listen in on the Tribals, and also meet & ask Idol Island visitors about their alliances and game play, etc, I wonder if they will , later in the game, give serious strategy tips to a few players, based on their accumulated "inside info" .... They will end up knowing who's in/not in alliances, possibly even find out potential targets for tribal ...
Could Rob/Sandra actually "tell" a player that doesn't know members of another alliance, who those members are, or hint/tell them they are a target for the next tribal ...
If so, this info could be given as either reward for winning a Idl Isl challenge, or just outright ...
Could be a very interesting twist, but could also be seen as the "producers" getting a player(s) they want further in the game...

I sure hope not .. that would further taint what's left of the purity of the Game ..

Anyone notice the fancy "bamboo water bottles" .. ?? I mean, what's next, gas grills and T-bones .. ??

Charles R 09-27-2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgkdragn (Post 58614150)
I sure hope not .. that would further taint what's left of the purity of the Game ..

My take on the mentors... I think they have too much influence on the game/outcome. For shows in general as they go on ratings naturally drop and I'm not sure at times attempting to boost them causes more harm than good. Especially later in the game I could see them heavily influencing the outcome and thinking why did I bother watching up to now when it didn't really matter...


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.