Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #1 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2999 Post(s)
Liked: 3913
Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019

Survivor: Island of the Idols CBS HD 9/25/2019

Survivor’s thirty-ninth season, Island of the Idols, will premiere Wednesday, September 25 at 8:00 PM and fans will be happy to hear it’s a special 90-minute episode. This marks a return to the 90-minute premiere format following last season’s underwhelming 60-minute Edge of Extinction opener.

The season, which was filmed in Fiji earlier this year, features 20 brand new castaways, and the return of Survivor icons “Boston” Rob Mariano and Sandra Diaz-Twine, who will act as “mentors.” As previously reported, Rob and Sandra will live on a separate island, the titular Island of the Idols, where throughout the game castaways will visit for advice and advantages.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I applaud the fine folks that come up with new ideas for new Seasons .. I don't know how the Rob / Sandra thing will work out .. I'm sure some contestants will attempt to ingratiate themselves .. at least it's an all-new Cast ..

Boston Rob has definitely made a living off the show .. what was it, 4 times as a Player before he won .. ??
DrDon likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
How did I know you would start a thread for this? I almost did, but didn't want to break the trend.
John dhein likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 93 Old 08-23-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
How did I know you would start a thread for this? I almost did, but didn't want to break the trend.
I appreciate that .. after all, I've been hosting the Thread for some time .. it's harder and harder these days to get a new Thread since there are generally few crumbs left unless you happen to find a really obscure show, and then you get no Posts .. at my age, I take the thrills when I can get them ..
Hughmc, Panson and AudiophileWalt like this.

Uncle Willie

post #5 of 93 Old 08-28-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I appreciate that .. after all, I've been hosting the Thread for some time .. it's harder and harder these days to get a new Thread since there are generally few crumbs left unless you happen to find a really obscure show, and then you get no Posts .. at my age, I take the thrills when I can get them ..
Couple things we can count on:
  • Survivor reusing players
  • mgkdragn starting the thread for each new season

I look forward to another round of bitching about players, comments on who looks the best in a bathing suit, and longing for the "good old days" when the players didn't get food and coffee.
Hughmc likes this.
post #6 of 93 Old 08-28-2019, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
Couple things we can count on:
  • Survivor reusing players
  • mgkdragn starting the thread for each new season

I look forward to another round of bitching about players, comments on who looks the best in a bathing suit, and longing for the "good old days" when the players didn't get food and coffee.
Can't wait .. sometimes I get as much a kick out of the Thread discussion as I do the show ..
Hughmc and MeatChicken like this.

Uncle Willie

post #7 of 93 Old 08-28-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I just hope Directv can get to an agreement with Nexstar before the season starts....along with other shows on CBS I watch. Bastages.

My humble little 5.1 system, "Virtual Cinema" front, wall of sound config:
65" LG OLED
Yamaha TSR-7810
2 JBL Studio 580 Towers, 2 JBL 530 Bookshelfs, and a JBL 520C Center.
Power Sound Audio V1500
post #8 of 93 Old 09-09-2019, 11:31 AM

EW has the cast with pictures/bios: https://ew.com/tv/survivor-island-of-the-idols-cast/

post #9 of 93 Old 09-10-2019, 11:10 AM

Jeff Probst explains how it will work this season: https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/10/survivo...ols-season-39/
Panson likes this.

post #10 of 93 Old 09-10-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 1871
Quote:
You're simply aging with Survivors. Contestant Richard Hatch (58), Host Jeff Probst (56).

What a varied life Hatch has led.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...vor_contestant)

Probst, ordained minister and snuffer collector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Probst

Your thread enthusiasm just might get back to watching. Johnny Fairplay (45) remains my favorite. Cheers.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #11 of 93 Old 09-10-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
You're simply aging with Survivors. Contestant Richard Hatch (58), Host Jeff Probst (56).

What a varied life Hatch has led.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...vor_contestant)

Probst, ordained minister and snuffer collector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Probst

Your thread enthusiasm just might get back to watching. Johnny Fairplay (45) remains my favorite. Cheers.
Well, at 74, I have a few years on those two .. .. although I do share being an Ordained Minister with Mr. Jeff ..
Panson likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #12 of 93 Old 09-10-2019, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Looking forward to another season, though I am not impressed yet with the theme or “mentors."
Though I always pull for underdogs finding Idols.

Denon AVR-4500h Polk Rt-6000 (Rt-3000,Cs-1000, Rt-2000) 2 random subs Vizio M70
post #13 of 93 Old 09-18-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Gawd, not Sandra again.
Hughmc likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #14 of 93 Old 09-19-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Gawd, not Sandra again.
I kept wondering if the crew actually constructed those Giant Heads of Sandra & Rob or if they were CGI ..

6 Days ..

Uncle Willie

post #15 of 93 Old 09-19-2019, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
I kept wondering if the crew actually constructed those Giant Heads of Sandra & Rob or if they were CGI ..

6 Days ..
.... And what exactly is the point of Rob & Sandra dramatically "living alone together" for the game, on their apparent exile type island ...
Waiting to see how they explain the reasoning for that ... It's not needed, if once or twice every week so they simply give a day or so "boot camp" lesson to a couple of contestants ...
Do they get boated over to watch the competitions? ....
post #16 of 93 Old 09-19-2019, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

I'd also guess that, although the show will likely show Sandra and Rob working, doing this and that periodically, in truth, they will likely be in the lap of luxury ..

"Bring me another Mai Tai, would you .. ??"

Uncle Willie

post #17 of 93 Old 09-19-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 848
post #18 of 93 Old 09-20-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
It's an interesting read .. I don't know if this is injecting even more advantages into the Game .. and the idea that Sandra and Rob have the free will to offer up higher and higher bribery to take a Challenge against one of them .. ?? If a Player scored an exceptionally great advantage, such as the mentioned "Immunity Idol Good at 3 Tribals", it could really, really sway things ..

I'm curious how this is going to play out ..

Uncle Willie

post #19 of 93 Old 09-24-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I think those are actual size.
mgkdragn likes this.
post #20 of 93 Old 09-24-2019, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bswiz View Post
I think those are actual size.
When I thought about your comment for a second, I had to chuckle ..

Uncle Willie

post #21 of 93 Old 09-25-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I am just glad its Survivor Wednesday again.

Last edited by WaTaGuMp; 09-25-2019 at 02:10 PM.
post #22 of 93 Old 09-25-2019, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'll let the DVR run for a bit before beginning to watch / skip the commercials .. snacks and libations at the ready .. might even mix me up a margarita or three .. we could always call it an on-line Watch Party ..

I was kind of on the fence early on about this show concept, but as things got closer, I really began to think it could be good .. while I'm not a huge Sandra / Rob fan, I'm curious to see how it all plays ..

Enjoy ..
John dhein likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #23 of 93 Old 09-25-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

ROFL, Elaine ending up with zero votes.
cardoski and John dhein like this.

post #24 of 93 Old 09-25-2019, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2629 Post(s)
Liked: 2980
I loved this episode, going to be a fun season.
John dhein likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #25 of 93 Old 09-26-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

... Not sure how I feel about the idea for the island girl to make up that Urn story ....
As soon as others go to the island, they will know she's full of *it, and more fodder to think she has a power to be flushed out or make her a target ....
When Rob asked her to "pick" the other tribe's member to go there next, but it turned out she didn't actually get to "pick" anyone at all, nor did we the viewers even see who it was on the stone .... At a minimum, both the viewers and Island girl should have been given that info .. ( later in the game it could be helpful to pull that person aside and say, "I got you to go to the Isl of the Idols, hope it helped you" ..)
cardoski and JoeNc like this.
post #26 of 93 Old 09-27-2019, 05:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked: 848
I found the “Idols” twist entertaining. They brought back two strong players, but they’re not competing so they can be themselves instead of having to play the game.

We’ll see how it all shakes out as more people start going for a visit. So I guess they’re going to alternate tribes for a visit no matter which one loses. I thought it was strange that a member of the losing tribe got to go on the “reward.”

And I thought it was okay that Elizabeth chose to challenge BR in fire making. She didn’t stand a great chance against him, but she took the risk that she wouldn’t need her own vote at tribal.

Ronnie being blindsided was perfect. He and the other dude thought they were running the show, but everybody else voted against them.
John dhein likes this.
post #27 of 93 Old 09-27-2019, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Like all season premier episodes, the contestants are raring to go, all optimistic, chatty, some hit the sand ready to immediately try and play a "great" game that they have made up in their head .. it always gets better and better for me as they begin to wear down and get to the nitty gritty ..

The older lady making fire immediately was a nice touch on her part, I don't know if that will keep her in the game any longer length of time, but she seems like a real fighter that may have a good game plan ..

Sandra and Rob are coming across a bit different than I expected, I guess I figured they would be more arrogant .. they both really do seem to want to help .. Elizabeth taking Rob's challenge was a ballsy move .. and, I think Elizabeth did learn some things .. I'd guess the next to go to Idol Island would be facing off against Sandra .. since the name draw, (I think .. maybe wrong), revealed that it would be from the other Tribe, that may have influenced Elizabeth choice to keep the Rob / Sandra deal on the down low .. she knew her Tribe would not find out immediately anyway .. it's just a matter of time before the truth of Idol Island comes out .. in fact, players could help with their alliances by revealing what was what when they went ..

Rob and Sandra secretly listening in at Tribal was a nice touch ..

All in all, a very good start .. although some of the Commercial Breaks seemed excessively long, and the slipping in of a tiny clip of Survivor in the middle of the Commercial Break is a nasty way to get you to stop and see if you missed something ..

Uncle Willie

post #28 of 93 Old 09-27-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

..... Since Rob & Sandra listen in on the Tribals, and also meet & ask Idol Island visitors about their alliances and game play, etc, I wonder if they will , later in the game, give serious strategy tips to a few players, based on their accumulated "inside info" .... They will end up knowing who's in/not in alliances, possibly even find out potential targets for tribal ...
Could Rob/Sandra actually "tell" a player that doesn't know members of another alliance, who those members are, or hint/tell them they are a target for the next tribal ...
If so, this info could be given as either reward for winning a Idl Isl challenge, or just outright ...
Could be a very interesting twist, but could also be seen as the "producers" getting a player(s) they want further in the game...
post #29 of 93 Old 09-27-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
..... Since Rob & Sandra listen in on the Tribals, and also meet & ask Idol Island visitors about their alliances and game play, etc, I wonder if they will , later in the game, give serious strategy tips to a few players, based on their accumulated "inside info" .... They will end up knowing who's in/not in alliances, possibly even find out potential targets for tribal ...
Could Rob/Sandra actually "tell" a player that doesn't know members of another alliance, who those members are, or hint/tell them they are a target for the next tribal ...
If so, this info could be given as either reward for winning a Idl Isl challenge, or just outright ...
Could be a very interesting twist, but could also be seen as the "producers" getting a player(s) they want further in the game...
I sure hope not .. that would further taint what's left of the purity of the Game ..

Anyone notice the fancy "bamboo water bottles" .. ?? I mean, what's next, gas grills and T-bones .. ??
andwhatnot likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #30 of 93 Old 09-27-2019, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 827
Quote:
I sure hope not .. that would further taint what's left of the purity of the Game ..
My take on the mentors... I think they have too much influence on the game/outcome. For shows in general as they go on ratings naturally drop and I'm not sure at times attempting to boost them causes more harm than good. Especially later in the game I could see them heavily influencing the outcome and thinking why did I bother watching up to now when it didn't really matter...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page