Undone Sci-Fi Animated Series on Amazon - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 2340
Undone Sci-Fi Animated Series on Amazon

‘Undone’: Amazon To Launch Rotoscope Animation Series On September 13 & Drops Trailer – TCA

Amazon is to launch its rotoscope animation series Undone on September 13 and has dropped a new trailer.

The SVOD service will launch the series, which takes inspiration from Philip K. Dick and Pink Floyd, in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide, The first two episodes of the Amazon Original series got a big-screen audience at the ATX TV Festival in Austin, Texas.

The series is the work of Kate Purdy & Raphael Bob-Waksberg (BoJack Horseman) and it follows the cosmic journey of a young woman who treks across time, space, and beyond to solve the mystery of her father’s death. Undone is produced by Amazon Studios and Tornante Productions.


Alma Winograd-Diaz (Rosa Salazar of Alita: Battle Angel) takes her mundane life one day at a time until a near fatal accident induces visions of her late-father, Jacob. Through these persistent visions he urges her to tap into a mysterious ability that allows her to travel through space and time with the hopes of preventing his untimely death. This quest challenges Alma’s relationships and brings into question her mental wellbeing with those closest to her.

Undone is the first episodic television project to use rotoscoping animation, which has visual rhythms that are far removed from the mainstream CG aesthetic that dominates and largely defines contemporary Hollywood’s approach to animation. The best-known product of the rotoscoping approach to date is A Scanner Darkly, the 2006 film based on the writings of Philip K. Dick.

Amsterdam-based animation studio Submarine brought a team of painters and artists from across Europe to to bring multi-media elements to the screen visuals, among them vivid backgrounds achieved by oil paintings on canvas.

The meticulous tasks were done under the direction of Hisko Hulsing (Montage of Heck) with rotoscope by the veteran team behind A Scanner Darkly : Austin-based Minnow Mountain (Tower) led by co-producer Craig Staggs.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/undone-...13-1202655724/

WilliamR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 2340
Official trailer:


Zookster and Doe Doe like this.

WilliamR is offline  
post #3 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
Looks pretty cool William... you always introduce interesting new content.

Thanks for that!






Edit... according to Sonarr all 8 episodes drop tomorrow Sep 13th.
WilliamR and markmon1 like this.

"we're still here!"

Last edited by replayrob; 09-12-2019 at 07:15 AM.
replayrob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
I had put this in my watchlist the other day just based on the story description, not even realizing it was animated. There usually has to be something very special about an animated TV series for me to bother with it, and I think this may qualify.
Zookster is online now  
post #5 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
There usually has to be something very special about an animated TV series for me to bother with it, and I think this may qualify.
Same here, but my kids (age 21 & 22) recently got me watching the anime Dr. Stone. It's actually kind of interesting and fun to watch.

"we're still here!"
replayrob is offline  
post #6 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,123
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked: 2340
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Looks pretty cool William... you always introduce interesting new content.

Thanks for that!
No problem at all, glad to help. We are all here to discuss one of our passions, TV shows, and to do that we need the threads. Glad I could help out and let others know about this (and other) shows.


Let us know what you think of this one. I am going to wait for a few more reviews/posters before I delve into it. But it sure looks interesting.

WilliamR is offline  
post #7 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
I'm going to download all 8 episodes as they become available tonight or tomorrow... easy enough to delete them if I don't like the series.

"we're still here!"
replayrob is offline  
post #8 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
I still need to finish Carnival Row (2 episodes to go), but this was definitely something I planned on checking out in the next few days, even before I knew it was rotoscope animation. I kind of dig that style now that I'm seeing it again in this trailer and am kicking myself for not watching "A Scanner Darkly" again recently when I noticed it was free on one of the services I sub to (can't remember if it was Prime or Showtime; it's not free for Prime members atm).
Zookster is online now  
post #9 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I still need to finish Carnival Row (2 episodes to go), but this was definitely something I planned on checking out in the next few days, even before I knew it was rotoscope animation. I kind of dig that style now that I'm seeing it again in this trailer and am kicking myself for not watching "A Scanner Darkly" again recently when I noticed it was free on one of the services I sub to (can't remember if it was Prime or Showtime; it's not free for Prime members atm).

I see A Scanner Darkly for free on Vudu, if you are okay with some ads.

I'm looking forward to Undone -- noticed it as a listing a while ago. Thanks to the OP for reminding me it's about to be released soon.

Besides the subject matter looking good, the creative team is another reason to watch it. I know many dismiss animation thinking it's a medium meant for children, but Bojack is a pretty good show ... weak start to season 1, but in some ways that was on purpose, as after that it gets going, and where it goes isn't where you'd normally expect an animated show to go -- it can be pretty dark.

And I've always found rotoscoping to be cool. Fleischer brothers did that ages ago and I always liked the look. And Ralph Bakshi's films also used it (Lord of the Rings, American pop). Of course for them it was all hand-drawn, too early for computer generated rotoscoping. Still, it has a unique look.
Zookster likes this.
Doe Doe is offline  
post #10 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I see A Scanner Darkly for free on Vudu, if you are okay with some ads.

I'm looking forward to Undone -- noticed it as a listing a while ago. Thanks to the OP for reminding me it's about to be released soon.

Besides the subject matter looking good, the creative team is another reason to watch it. I know many dismiss animation thinking it's a medium meant for children, but Bojack is a pretty good show ... weak start to season 1, but in some ways that was on purpose, as after that it gets going, and where it goes isn't where you'd normally expect an animated show to go -- it can be pretty dark.

And I've always found rotoscoping to be cool. Fleischer brothers did that ages ago and I always liked the look. And Ralph Bakshi's films also used it (Lord of the Rings, American pop). Of course for them it was all hand-drawn, too early for computer generated rotoscoping. Still, it has a unique look.
Thanks for the tip about "A Scanner Darkly" on Vudu. I had totally forgotten about LOTR. I loved that movie when it came out in theaters (I was in my early teens). In fact, take a look at what I just dug out of deep storage:
Spoiler!
Doe Doe likes this.
Zookster is online now  
post #11 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Thanks for the tip about "A Scanner Darkly" on Vudu. I had totally forgotten about LOTR. I loved that movie when it came out in theaters (I was in my early teens). In fact, take a look at what I just dug out of deep storage:
Spoiler!

Your spoiler is a bit too well hidden there... don't see anything.

I too loved LOTR, watched it as a kid. Back then I was just baffled as to why they seemingly ended it without a proper ending (if I recall correctly, they ran out of money around Helm's Deep).

Edit: Spoiler working now, could have been a forum oddity.
Doe Doe is offline  
post #12 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Your spoiler is a bit too well hidden there... don't see anything.

I too loved LOTR, watched it as a kid. Back then I was just baffled as to why they seemingly ended it without a proper ending (if I recall correctly, they ran out of money around Helm's Deep).
Sorry about that. I fixed the links.

Yeah, unfortunately we never got part II.
Zookster is online now  
post #13 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Sorry about that. I fixed the links.

Yeah, unfortunately we never got part II.
I remember I ended up watching the 'cheap version' for the finale, the Rankin/Bass "Return of the King". Same folks who made the animated hobbit, I think. Not nearly the same quality as LOTR.
Zookster likes this.
Doe Doe is offline  
post #14 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 8,285
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Rgb is online now  
post #15 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
puddy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Season 1 is now streaming on Amazon. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a 4k HDR version.
puddy77 is offline  
post #16 of 54 Old 09-12-2019, 09:44 PM
Senior Member
 
bytor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
Season 1 is now streaming on Amazon. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a 4k HDR version.
I was just about to say the same thing. Do we have any confirmation if there is a UHD sctream? I don't understand why they make them so difficult to find.
bytor is offline  
post #17 of 54 Old 09-13-2019, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
puddy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post
I was just about to say the same thing. Do we have any confirmation if there is a UHD sctream? I don't understand why they make them so difficult to find.
No. I don’t think there is one. Just wishful thinking on my part. I was really hoping this would be in HDR. Netflix has some animated titles in 1080p HDR. And one in 4K SDR. So I was hoping this would get similar treatment since it’s an adult animated show.
puddy77 is offline  
post #18 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
Watched the first 2.5 episodes last night, they are around 22min long each.


Really enjoyed them so far, snappy dialogue and I like the Rotoscope animation along with an interesting story.

The characters are interesting, the main character is voiced by Rosa Salazar and the deceased but present father is voiced by Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul).


Kevin Smith hosts a 2019 Comi-Con interview with the main character and series creator here:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls04994069...r/vi1700838425
Zookster likes this.

"we're still here!"
replayrob is offline  
post #19 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 08:59 AM
Newbie
 
noblkkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thank you replayrob for posting the Kevin Smith 2019 Comi-Con interview withe the main characters and series creator.
replayrob likes this.
noblkkat is online now  
post #20 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rakesh.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 125
This looks refreshing. Going to check it out. Thanks for posting.
replayrob likes this.
Rakesh.S is offline  
post #21 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Watched the first 2.5 episodes last night, they are around 22min long each.


Really enjoyed them so far, snappy dialogue and I like the Rotoscope animation along with an interesting story.

The characters are interesting, the main character is voiced by Rosa Salazar and the deceased but present father is voiced by Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul).


Kevin Smith hosts a 2019 Comi-Con interview with the main character and series creator here:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls04994069...r/vi1700838425
I checked out the first two episodes as well last night. Off to a great start! The animation looks amazing. Hearing Bob Odenkirk's voice was a nice surprise (I totally miss BCS). The writing so far is really good, and I'm excited to see where the story goes. Eight 22-23-minute episodes is a short time investment, though given it's Legion-like aspects, it may be the kind of thing I'll have to rewatch again, but more for the enjoyment rather than frustration (cf. Legion).
replayrob likes this.
Zookster is online now  
post #22 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
I am really enjoying how the Rotoscope process captures the fine facial expressions of the actors vs. standard animation techniques.
The main character, Rosa Salasar (who is very easy on the eyes in real life and in Rotoscope animation) is doing a great job expressing her feelings and the Rotoscope cameras are doing a great job capturing it too.

Bob Odenkirk's voice work is excellent and he has a very unique voice. He may get a lot more voice work offers after Undone!





Zookster likes this.

"we're still here!"

Last edited by replayrob; 09-14-2019 at 10:12 AM.
replayrob is offline  
post #23 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 10,972
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4683 Post(s)
Liked: 6222
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
I am really enjoying how the Rotoscope process captures the fine facial expressions of the actors vs. standard animation techniques.
The main character, Rosa Salasar (who is very easy on the eyes in real life and in Rotoscope animation) is doing a great job expressing her feelings and the Rotoscope cameras are doing a great job capturing it too.


Bob Odenkirk's voice work is excellent and he has a very unique voice. He may get a lot more voice work offers after Undone!
Is it voice work? Or is this live action turned into a cartoon?
Tack is online now  
post #24 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
^ it's both!


The live actors are filmed then Rotoscoped in to an animated character and that actor also provides the voice for the animated character.



Take a look at Rosa Salasar in the Kevin Smith Comic-Con interview, then look at my screen caps of her Rotoscoped character.
Tack likes this.

"we're still here!"
replayrob is offline  
post #25 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 10,972
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4683 Post(s)
Liked: 6222
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
^ it's both!


The live actors are filmed then Rotoscoped in to an animated character and that actor also provides the voice for the animated character.



Take a look at Rosa Salasar in the Kevin Smith Comic-Con interview, then look at my screen caps of her Rotoscoped character.


It's cool, I guess. Reminds me of Aha, Take On Me.
Tack is online now  
post #26 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
The main character, Rosa Salasar (who is very easy on the eyes in real life and in Rotoscope animation) is doing a great job expressing her feelings and the Rotoscope cameras are doing a great job capturing it too.
I can't take my eyes off of her. She looks amazing in the rotoscope format.

Quote:
Bob Odenkirk's voice work is excellent and he has a very unique voice. He may get a lot more voice work offers after Undone!
He's already done quite a bit of voice work in his prolific career. You would actually say he was cast in "Undone" based on that resume.
replayrob likes this.
Zookster is online now  
post #27 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Zookster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southern California
Posts: 4,486
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 1680
Here's a good behind-the-scenes featurette on Undone.
Zookster is online now  
post #28 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Newbie
 
Golding Sonics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cartagena, Colombia
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
hi everyone im new!
Golding Sonics is offline  
post #29 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
Golding Sonics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Cartagena, Colombia
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
wow so interesting! nice
Golding Sonics is offline  
post #30 of 54 Old 09-14-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,432
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 1673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Here's a good behind-the-scenes featurette on Undone.
https://youtu.be/YYGpWQ5iPMU

That was great... thanks Zook!!


Amazing how much work goes in to making the final product and how talented the whole creative team is.
Zookster likes this.

"we're still here!"
replayrob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off