Battlestar Galactica Reboot for NBCU's Peacock - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1952
Battlestar Galactica Reboot for NBCU's Peacock

Mr. Robot's Sam Esmail is rebooting Battlestar Galactica for the new NBCU streaming service, Peacock, which will be a free ad-supported service for those with TV provider login credentials. There will also likely be an ad-free subscription tier.

Mr. Robot creator Sam Esmail is rebooting Battlestar Galactica for NBCU's new streaming service

With Mr. Robot and Homecoming, producer Sam Esmail created two of the most original shows of the past few years. He introduced the world to eventual Best Actor winner Rami Malek, and successfully brought Julia Roberts to TV. For his next act, Esmail is going back to the future by producing a new Battlestar Galactica series for NBC’s new streaming service Peacock.

The new Battlestar Galactica was announced as part of the overall initial lineup for Peacock, but it was easy to lose track of amidst the Saved by the Bell reboot news and the general fact that pop culture obsessives now have yet another streaming service to keep track of if they want to keep watching shows like 30 Rock.

Esmail’s Battlestar Galactica will be the third series by that name. The first, created by Glen A. Larson in 1978, only lasted for one season. The more popular iteration came in 2004 from showrunner Ron Moore, and used its plotline of robotic Cylon saboteurs to parallel the then-incipient War on Terror. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Esmail’s version will draw more from the 2004 show and provide “an updated, more modern look at the world.” Moore’s Battlestar Galactica will also be streaming on Peacock, alongside the new one. See below for some of EW’s recent reflections on that series.

Peacock is set to launch in April 2020.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/17/sam-esm...galactica-nbc/
TitusTroy and shivaji like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1584 Post(s)
Liked: 1889
Wow... in Hot Dog's words "this will be different!".

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #3 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4631 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
It would be hilarious if this actually turned out to be a reboot of Galactica 1980.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
...According to The Hollywood Reporter, Esmail’s version will draw more from the 2004 show and provide “an updated, more modern look at the world.” Moore’s Battlestar Galactica will also be streaming on Peacock, alongside the new one. See below for some of EW’s recent reflections on that series....https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/17/sam-esm...galactica-nbc/
Sounds like that means Cylon Number Six will now be a lesbian. I'm just sayin'...
Tack likes this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #5 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Latest is it isn't a reboot of either, but "another story taking place within the BSG Universe"
post #6 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked: 6606
Ten to one they **** it up. Pretty pessimistic, I know.
Don S likes this.
post #7 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5330 Post(s)
Liked: 4781
another new streaming service?...so now instead of 500 cable TV channels we have 50 streaming channels?...based on his previous work (Mr. Robot, Homecoming), I don't think Esmail is the right guy to helm Battlestar Galactica...I'd rather see Ron D. Moore have another crack at it
Zookster likes this.
post #8 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 12:38 PM

OT: I see that this new NBC streaming service is also rebooting Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster with some of the original cast members...I guess 80's nostalgia is strong with NBC
post #9 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6438 Post(s)
Liked: 7140
Ah, c'mon. Is nothing sacred? Can't they leave the few remaining masterpieces alone and do something original fergodsakes?
Zookster, Don S and DesertDog like this.
post #10 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1897 Post(s)
Liked: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
OT: I see that this new NBC streaming service is also rebooting Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster with some of the original cast members...I guess 80's nostalgia is strong with NBC
Nostalgia is strong with every service. Lots of shows nowadays are set in the 80s and early 90s (or reboots from the era). What's sad is of the NBC shows that could've been rebooted for Peacock, they singled out Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster.
post #11 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Ah, c'mon. Is nothing sacred? Can't they leave the few remaining masterpieces alone and do something original fergodsakes?

Amen. This was exactly my thought upon hearing this.
post #12 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 01:38 PM

even though I've been wanting to I've actually never seen the Ronald Moore reboot...when it first came out I assumed it was going to be another sci-fi light cheese-fest like the original...the original was actually pretty good for its time but that clouded my view on the new version...by the time it started getting high praise I was already multiple seasons behind and I didn't feel like going through all those back episodes...this was back in the day when each season was 20+ episodes...I'm still tempted to check it out but 76 episodes is a daunting task and time sink (plus I already know some of the big twists and reveals which also takes away from it)
post #13 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
even though I've been wanting to I've actually never seen the Ronald Moore reboot...when it first came out I assumed it was going to be another sci-fi light cheese-fest like the original...the original was actually pretty good for its time but that clouded my view on the new version...by the time it started getting high praise I was already multiple seasons behind and I didn't feel like going through all those back episodes...this was back in the day when each season was 20+ episodes...I'm still tempted to check it out but 76 episodes is a daunting task and time sink (plus I already know some of the big twists and reveals which also takes away from it)
Just watch the first two episodes. They're listed differently, like a miniseries. You'll know then if you want to continue or not.
post #14 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 381
If not a reboot but just in the same universe this sounds promising.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #15 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2073 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
One of my favorite series of all time. I sooo hope this turns out to be good.
replayrob and Don S like this.

post #16 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Just watch the first two episodes. They're listed differently, like a miniseries. You'll know then if you want to continue or not.
OK so it is Pt. 1 and 2 "miniseries". If the first one you watch is called "33", which is listed as EP01, you've gone too far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...ca_(miniseries)
post #17 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
it's not a question of if I'll be interested, I'm sure I will...it's more the fact that it's 76 episodes!!...huge time sink which is why I'm putting it off...
post #18 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
If anything is worth it, this is. I have the BD set and have re-watched it completely twice, the only time I've ever done that for a TV series. It's that good. Magnificent, really. The final episode I've probably watched 7 or 8 times. Moves me to tears, every damn time. The magnum-opus of Ronald Moore's career. Edward James Olmos has said that he knows he'll never have an opportunity to be a part of anything that good again. The whole cast says that.

The very first episode of the first season, titled "33", is one of the most heart-pounding, intense hours of TV I've ever seen. (The 3 hour miniseries comes before that, and you have to watch that first as it sets the stage.) If that won't hook you, you're un-hookable. I still have gouges in my couch arm from digging my fingernails into it during that ep.
ScottAvery and Zookster like this.
post #19 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
The very first episode of the first season, titled "33", is one of the most heart-pounding, intense hours of TV I've ever seen. (The 3 hour miniseries comes before that, and you have to watch that first.) If that won't hook you, you're un-hookable. I still have gouges in my couch arm from digging my fingernails into it during that ep.
as a fan of smart sci-fi I'm sure I'll like it...The Expanse sort of scratches that itch for me right now and I can't imagine anything topping that but BG is definitely one of those shows I need to watch before I kick the bucket...if I wait too long it might start to feel dated though
post #20 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
it's not a question of if I'll be interested, I'm sure I will...it's more the fact that it's 76 episodes!!...huge time sink which is why I'm putting it off...
I hear you on that. First time I watched I spent waay too much time binging it, it's like crack. The clip below might as well be a documentary.

IronWaffle and TitusTroy like this.
post #21 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
as a fan of smart sci-fi I'm sure I'll like it...The Expanse sort of scratches that itch for me right now and I can't imagine anything topping that but BG is definitely one of those shows I need to watch before I kick the bucket...if I wait too long it might start to feel dated though
Given it was on the Sci-Fi Network (I think that's how they spelled the logo back then), it's really remarkable what they were able to do with regard to vfx on a shoestring budget. The vfx house was a little known New Zealand shop, Zoic Studios. Put them on the map too. The show was never nominated for an Emmy for Best Drama (an outrage!), but did win the Peabody Award in that category one year. It did win other Emmys for special effects, musical score, that sort of thing. It's the most celebrated & prestigious show in the network's history, by a long shot.

As been mentioned, it was kind of an allegory about the Iraq War. Turned a lot of the conventions at the time upside down. There was one story arc that especially got the "more patriotic than thou" crowd's panties all wadded up. Some fierce debates on the AVS show-thread about it, as I recall. The Forum was a wilder place back then.
Tack likes this.

Last edited by archiguy; 09-17-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #22 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 141
"Peacock" is a terrible name for a streaming service. Potential customers don't care about the mascot.
Tack, Don S and Zookster like this.
post #23 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Given it was on the Sci-Fi Network (I think that's how they spelled the logo back then), it's really remarkable what they were able to do with regard to vfx on a shoestring budget. The vfx house was a little known New Zealand shop, Zoic Studios. Put them on the map too.

As been mentioned, it was kind of an allegory about the Iraq War. Turned a lot of the conventions at the time upside down. There was one arc that especially got the "more patriotic than thou" crowd's panties all wadded up. Some fierce debates on the AVS show-thread about it, as I recall. The Forum was a wilder place back then.
It really was. I miss that.
archiguy likes this.
post #24 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
"Peacock" is a terrible name for a streaming service. Potential customers don't care about the mascot.
yeah they should have just named it NBC Universal streaming...
NewAger likes this.
post #25 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Man we just hijacked the crap out of this thread, sorry. Got a little feverish there.
post #26 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
I've been watching The Expanse but it is no BSG. Just this week I was trying to come up with a recommendation for my wife and I to binge watch together and BSG was first to mind. I'd rate it better than Game of Thrones, even, and I was a huge fan of that as well. I just don't own it and didn't knjow where I could stream it now so nice to know it will have a home again soon.
post #27 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I just don't own it and didn't knjow where I could stream it now so nice to know it will have a home again soon.
it's available on Amazon Video (free for Prime members)
IronWaffle likes this.
post #28 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I've been watching The Expanse but it is no BSG. Just this week I was trying to come up with a recommendation for my wife and I to binge watch together and BSG was first to mind. I'd rate it better than Game of Thrones, even, and I was a huge fan of that as well. I just don't own it and didn't knjow where I could stream it now so nice to know it will have a home again soon.
Get the BD set. Best picture & sound. Probably not too expensive these days. You'll get everything too - all the movies, special features, commentaries, etc. The only thing that's missing is a series of web-shorts they had in between S-2 & S-3, I think. Together, they totaled up to around another 1-hour episode.
post #29 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Man we just hijacked the crap out of this thread, sorry. Got a little feverish there.
The Gods of Kobol have hereby granted us absolution. I know, 'cause we tight.
Zookster and replayrob like this.
post #30 of 44 Old 09-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It would be hilarious if this actually turned out to be a reboot of Galactica 1980.
With the little league kids and those sweet flying motorcycles? That would be cool.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page