Servant on Apple TV+ From M. Night Shyamalan - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By NetworkTV
  • 2 Post By Elitegti17
  • 1 Post By WilliamR
  • 1 Post By iamian
  • 1 Post By TitusTroy

post #1 of 23 Old 09-24-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 3398
Servant on Apple TV+ From M. Night Shyamalan

M. Night Shyamalan’s Apple TV+ Series ‘Servant’ Sets First-Look New York Comic Con Event

Apple TV+ will present a first look at M. Night Shyamalan’s Servant at New York Comic Con next month, Apple announced today.

The event, “A Night with M. Night Introducing ‘Servant’ on Apple TV+”, is set for Thursday, Oct. 3 at the Hammerstein Ballroom.

The Comic Con event about Shyamalan’s psychological thriller will include exclusive first-look footage as well as a discussion with the director, cast and creative team.

Servant follows a Philadelphia couple in mourning after an unspeakable tragedy creates a rift in their marriage and opens the door for a mysterious force to enter their home.

Apple TV+ launches November 1 and will be available on the Apple TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, iPod touch, Mac and other platforms, including online at tv.apple.com.

Taking part in the Comic Con event will be Servant cast members Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under), Toby Kebbell (Kong: Skull Island), Nell Tiger Free (Game of Thrones), Rupert Grint (Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2), as well as Executive Producer M. Night Shyamalan and Writer/Creator Tony Basgallop.

The event begins at 8 p.m. on Oct. 3.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/m-night...nt-1202743295/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-03-2019, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6374 Post(s)
Liked: 5870
post #3 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1258 Post(s)
Liked: 2764
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 11-11-2019, 06:51 AM

this has potential...I have a free year of ATV+ but haven't activated it yet...so what's the Shyamalan twist ending going to be?
post #5 of 23 Old 11-13-2019, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
this has potential...I have a free year of ATV+ but haven't activated it yet...so what's the Shyamalan twist ending going to be?
Lack of sleep coupled with methane emissions from dirty diapers causes hallucinations...

...or that baby formula is a form of mind control experiment.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-14-2019, 02:12 PM

This particular clip shows a doll maker creating Jericho, the lifelike fake baby that plays a starring role in the show...

post #7 of 23 Old 11-23-2019, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Servant’ Renewed For Season 2 By Apple Ahead Of Premiere

Apple has confirmed a second season pickup for M. Night Shyamalan’s Servant, ahead of psychological thriller’s season premiere next week. Shyalaman made the announcement on NBC’s Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.

This marks the latest new Apple series to get a Season 2 renewal before it has been released. It joins Ron Moore’s For All Mankind, the Jason Momoa starrer See; and the Emily Dickinson comedy Dickinson, starring Hailee Steinfeld, whose renewals have been confirmed by Apple, as well as upcoming anthology immigrant comedy Little America; and the Hilde Lysiak young detective drama Home Before Dark, which also are believed to have been quietly renewed. The Morning Show, one of the four Apple+ series that helped launch the streamer on Nov.1, along with For All Mankind, See and Dickinson, had a two-season order from the get-go.

The first three episodes of Servant will be available on Apple TV+ in over 100 countries and regions on November 28, with new episodes rolling out weekly, every Friday.

Shyamalan and Basgallop executive produce with Ashwin Rajan, Jason Blumenthal, Todd Black and Steve Tisch. Taylor Latham and Patrick Markey serve as co-executive producers.

https://deadline.com/2019/11/m-night...re-1202793633/

post #8 of 23 Old 11-23-2019, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have enjoyed SEE and For All Man Kind.... The Morning Show has been ok also. Looking forward to the release of The Servant.

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #9 of 23 Old 11-23-2019, 07:27 PM

Servant is getting pretty good reviews...looks like it's the best of the Apple TV+ originals so far...I still haven't activated my free year but I'll probably do it next week...ATV+ is still missing that showcase title which gets people to subscribe (Disney+ has it with Mandalorian)
post #10 of 23 Old 11-25-2019, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

Pretty good first episode. This could be an interesting series. I like the vibe, but M. Night's filming style can sometimes be annoying.

post #11 of 23 Old 11-25-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Servant is getting pretty good reviews...looks like it's the best of the Apple TV+ originals so far...I still haven't activated my free year but I'll probably do it next week...ATV+ is still missing that showcase title which gets people to subscribe (Disney+ has it with Mandalorian)
It’s all they got D+

Home Theater System Denon X8500H, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, Polk RTi A1 Rear Heights, Polk 70RT Middle In-Ceiling, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, JVC DLA-RS1000, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, Panasonic UB9000, Dish Hopper 3
post #12 of 23 Old 11-25-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillihp23 View Post
It’s all they got D+
Disney doesn't need to have a hit original right away because of their back catalog of movies- Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar etc
post #13 of 23 Old 11-25-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Disney doesn't need to have a hit original right away because of their back catalog of movies- Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar etc
Disagree..I am cancelling my trial of D+.

post #14 of 23 Old 12-18-2019, 01:30 PM

anyone watching this?...how is it?...Sixth Sense/Signs M. Night Shyamalan or After Earth/The Happening Shyamalan?
post #15 of 23 Old 12-19-2019, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
anyone watching this?...how is it?...Sixth Sense/Signs M. Night Shyamalan or After Earth/The Happening Shyamalan?
I'm enjoying it so far. I would say its more along Sixth Sense/ Signs M Night. Its a slow burn but definitely interesting and well paced (each episode is about 30 mins). As with anything M Night the fear is the twist can come out of left field and derail the whole thing. I would give it a shot if your a fan of his earlier work. It appears to be the best reviewed program on Apple Plus as of now.
WilliamR and TitusTroy like this.
post #16 of 23 Old 12-19-2019, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitegti17 View Post
I'm enjoying it so far. I would say its more along Sixth Sense/ Signs M Night. Its a slow burn but definitely interesting and well paced (each episode is about 30 mins). As with anything M Night the fear is the twist can come out of left field and derail the whole thing. I would give it a shot if your a fan of his earlier work. It appears to be the best reviewed program on Apple Plus as of now.
I would have to agree with everything you said. it is definitely a slow burn but I love how there is a feeling/sense of dread around the corner, like waiting for the other shoe to drop. I know something is coming and he delivers. Only thing that is odd is M. Night's filming style, so different than most other things on TV it can take a minute to get use to how he does things.
Elitegti17 likes this.

post #17 of 23 Old 12-20-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitegti17 View Post
the premise of this show doesn't seem to lend itself to multiple seasons...I'm not sure how they're going to stretch this story out unless there's the usual Shyamalan twist at the end of Season 1...I wonder if Shyamalan was originally planning on making this a movie before Apple came to him...seems better suited as a movie...I plan on activating my free 1 year Apple TV+ subscription in January so I'll be checking this out along with See
post #18 of 23 Old 12-23-2019, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7043 Post(s)
Liked: 8062
Quote:
I plan on activating my free 1 year Apple TV+ subscription in January so I'll be checking this out along with See
How are you getting that Troy? I just bought an ATV4K, and thought I heard you get a free year of Apple TV+ if you do that, but don't know any of the details.

I thought I was going to get a free year of Disney+ when I bought my new LG TV too. But since I bought it from an "unauthorized dealer", a middleman on the eBay Marketplace (with a 100% 5-star rating from their customers), they rejected me. Darnit. I hate rejection.
post #19 of 23 Old 12-23-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
How are you getting that Troy? I just bought an ATV4K, and thought I heard you get a free year of Apple TV+ if you do that, but don't know any of the details.

I thought I was going to get a free year of Disney+ when I bought my new LG TV too. But since I bought it from an "unauthorized dealer", a middleman on the eBay Marketplace (with a 100% 5-star rating from their customers), they rejected me. Darnit. I hate rejection.
https://offers.appletvapp.apple/
archiguy likes this.

post #20 of 23 Old 12-23-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

you have 3 months to activate (from date of purchase)...I bought my ATV 4K in November so I have until February...I'm glad I waited as Apple TV+ had a few kinks with Dolby Vision disappearing for a little awhile...this also allows for me to binge watch entire series versus having to wait week-to-week...but I only really want to check out Servant, See and For All Mankind (Ronald D. Moore space show)
archiguy likes this.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-15-2020, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Didn't think the article was very work friendlty with the language so not posting the whole article.

M. Night Shyamalan Accused of ‘Gender Arrogance’ in Copyright Lawsuit

https://variety.com/2020/biz/news/m-...ze-1203468049/

post #22 of 23 Old 04-16-2020, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2406 Post(s)
Liked: 2736
Just finished this. Creepy show that kept me interested all the way through. The DV grade is garbage though. Also has raised black levels.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-29-2020, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Apple & M. Night Shyamalan’s ‘Servant’ Not Out Of Legal Horror Yet, Despite Judge’s Dismissal Of Copyright Suit

With twists that you might expect from a M. Night Shyamalan project, the legal scare facing AppleTV+, the director and Servant creator Tony Basgallop may still keep haunting them.

Despite an order today from a federal judge tossing out a copyright suit over the Lauren Ambrose and Tony Kebbell starring series from the Tim Cook-run company’s streamer, the court docket could have a new master sooner rather than later.

“Today’s ruling is disappointing, but not surprising,” said The Truth About Emanuel director Francesca Gregorini on Thursday over the dismissal with prejudice of her January filed lawsuit over the inspiration for the already renewed Servant series.

“The balance of power in the entertainment industry has always favored powerful men and institutions,” Gregorini asserts in what is the third time Shyamalan has been tainted with creative sticky fingers over the years. “Their ultimate goal is to silence anyone whose work they steal and repurpose without credit.”

“My case is an attempt to hold those powerful forces accountable and protect the work of so many talented voices who are not as rich and powerful as M. Night Shyamalan,” the filmmaker adds of her Sundance premiering flick of seven years ago and the Shyamalan EP’d and partially directed AppleTV+ show that launched in November 2019.

“I hoped for a different outcome. I will not allow this to silence me. I intend to appeal this ruling and continue to make my case that Servant and The Truth About Emanuel share similarities that were undoubtedly and knowingly plagiarized.”

Representatives for AppleTV+ today declined to comment on Gregorini’s intention to appeal.

Their silence makes some degree of sense.

Besides the usual corporate reluctance to remark on litigation, Apple had a pretty clear win in Judge John Walter’s order today – and they’d likely want to keep that narrative front and center.

“After filtering out the non-protectable elements, the Court concludes, as a matter of law, that Emanuel and Episodes 1 through 3 of Servant are not substantially similar,” Judge Walter wrote of the alleged ripping off of Gregorini’s 2013 feature film for the AppleTV+ show (READ THE ORDER HERE).

“Though Emanuel and Episodes 1 through 3 of Servant share a basic plot premise, they tell completely different stories,” the U.S. District Court official states in almost TV critic tones. “Servant’s theme is much darker, and the series walks the line between thriller and horror,” the 14-page document proclaims in language both much more thoughtful and blunter than such tricky copyright cases usually get from the bench.

“In sum, the alleged similarities between the works pale in comparison to the differences in the plot, themes, dialogue, mood, setting, pace, characters, and sequence of events., and the Court concludes that the works at issue are not substantially similar as a matter of law,” Judge Walter concluded of Emanuel and Servant. “For the foregoing reasons, Defendants’ Motion to Dismiss Plaintiff’s Complaint is granted,” Judge Walter concluded. “Plaintiff’s First Amended Complaint is dismissed without leave to amend and this action is dismissed with prejudice.

With Judge Walter not giving the plaintiff the ability to even amend her initial complaint, challenging the dismissal itself is really the only option Gregorini has to fight on at this point. When that appeal from L.A.’s Erikson Law Group could come is a bit open ended, especially with the Judge telling all parties to meet and file a joint proposed Judgement by June 5. However, with that deadline in mind, expect to see Gregorini’s appeal within the next month or soon afterwards if similar cases are any blue print.

In her original complaint jury trial desiring complaint of earlier this year, Gregorini sought to shut Servant down and be awarded widespread but unspecified damages. In the speeds such appeals move through the federal courts, coronavirus shutdowns or not, by the time the Emanuel director finds herself in a position to make that ask again, if she finds herself able to, Servant’s second season may have already dropped on AppleTV+ – for better or worse.

https://deadline.com/2020/05/apple-l...ni-1202946004/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page