post #61 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6870 Post(s)
Liked: 6805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's Alex Garland so it's already worth the dollars to me, I'm just waiting to see if it might become available as a Prime freebie. Plus, it will very likely be better quality than what Hulu will provide. My understanding is that it's a visually striking show so I'd prefer to see it the best way possible.

As Titus said doubt this will ever been on Prime as this is an FX on Hulu “exclusive”, so there is no real reason to make it available on Prime where as before FX didn’t have a solid home for online viewing. I’m going to guess that once the agreements run out any prior FX content that did go to Prime no longer will since it’s home will be Hulu as well (just a guess).
Keenan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3187 Post(s)
Liked: 4235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
As Titus said doubt this will ever been on Prime as this is an FX on Hulu “exclusive”, so there is no real reason to make it available on Prime where as before FX didn’t have a solid home for online viewing. I’m going to guess that once the agreements run out any prior FX content that did go to Prime no longer will since it’s home will be Hulu as well (just a guess).
Or, Disney will simply buy FX ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #63 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I doubt it'll be a part of Prime, at least not anytime soon...Amazon does that with Starz programming because they have some sort of agreement with them...I'm guessing you already used up your Hulu free trial?...outside of a subscription, that's currently the best way to watch this...I've been holding on to my Hulu free trial for awhile now waiting for the right time...and it's good that they give you 30 days- this way I can also watch both seasons of Castle Rock
Yeah, I'd figured it would be a longshot, but maybe. Does Hulu maintain a full season library now or do they still remove episodes leaving incomplete seasons? That was something that was a big negative for me when I looked at Hulu in the past. And does commercial-free really mean commercial free?
Ph8te likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 2201
Quote:
Starting two months ago, Disney is pulling all its FX content from other streamers and moving it to this new FX on Hulu hub. Prime has already lost most, if not all, of its FX shows. I was in the middle of season 3 of Justified on Prime when suddenly in early January it was no longer free for Prime members.
Ph8te likes this.
post #65 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Starting two months ago, Disney is pulling all its FX content from other streamers and moving it to this new FX on Hulu hub. Prime has already lost most, if not all, of its FX shows. I was in the middle of season 3 of Justified on Prime when suddenly in early January it was no longer free for Prime members.

Full seasons of everything they have rights to (that aren’t signed somewhere else exclusively). They’ll also be doing same day/next day adding to new seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Or, Disney will simply buy FX ..

No need to buy something they already own (FX was part of the Fox deal).
Brian Conrad likes this.
post #66 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3187 Post(s)
Liked: 4235
Quote:
No need to buy something they already own (FX was part of the Fox deal).
Well, that explains the whole issue .. no wonder the content is all moving to HULU ..
Ph8te likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #67 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5747 Post(s)
Liked: 5263
this whole FX on Hulu deal is strange...why isn't the new season of Fargo a Hulu exclusive?...part of an older agreement?...so any new original FX programming will be a Hulu exclusive?...or is it like HBO/HBO Max and CBS/CBS-AA where programming will be divided between the two?...how do they even make the decision as to which shows they want on one platform versus the other...splitting up programming and forcing people to double dip for the same channel is ridiculous...
post #68 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
this whole FX on Hulu deal is strange...why isn't the new season of Fargo a Hulu exclusive?...part of an older agreement?...so any new original FX programming will be a Hulu exclusive?...or is it like HBO/HBO Max and CBS/CBS-AA where programming will be divided between the two?...how do they even make the decision as to which shows they want on one platform versus the other...splitting up programming and forcing people to double dip for the same channel is ridiculous...
The linear FX and FXX channels won't cease to exist. It's just a bunch of shows that were originally slated to be on the linear channels got moved unexpectedly to FX on Hulu so Disney would be better able to promote it at launch. Breeders with Martin Freeman just premiered on the linear FX channel this month.

Most of the shows listed here are on FX or FXX (not exclusive to FX on Hulu): https://www.tvinsider.com/847232/fx-...rgo-devs-hulu/
Ph8te likes this.
post #69 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 7539 Post(s)
Liked: 17166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's Alex Garland so it's already worth the dollars to me, I'm just waiting to see if it might become available as a Prime freebie. Plus, it will very likely be better quality than what Hulu will provide. My understanding is that it's a visually striking show so I'd prefer to see it the best way possible.
It has Ron Swanson and that’s a win in my book. I’m in no hurry. If Prime gets it, free or even for $13, I’d do it. So what’s going to be on the actual FX channel? I can see the Mouse cutting the proverbial cord and making it streaming only. That Mouse is a cheeky bastard.

post #70 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
The linear FX and FXX channels won't cease to exist. It's just a bunch of shows that were originally slated to be on the linear channels got moved unexpectedly to FX on Hulu so Disney would be better able to promote it at launch. Breeders with Martin Freeman just premiered on the linear FX channel this month.

Most of the shows listed here are on FX or FXX (not exclusive to FX on Hulu): https://www.tvinsider.com/847232/fx-...rgo-devs-hulu/
but why did they need to move it to 'FX on Hulu' to better promote it...they already own the library and would have them in their Disney+ catalog of shows anyway...there doesn't seem to be any point adding this special designation of 'FX on Hulu' which is more confusing as most people associate FX as its own channel...
post #71 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
but why did they need to move it to 'FX on Hulu' to better promote it...they already own the library and would have them in their Disney+ catalog of shows anyway...there doesn't seem to be any point adding this special designation of 'FX on Hulu' which is more confusing as most people associate FX as its own channel...
FX is a hot brand right now, with all the awards it's won of late. Making select FX shows exclusive to Hulu is a way to sell Hulu subscriptions and better compete with Netflix and Prime. Just like making Marvel and Star Wars shows exclusive to Disney+ is a way to sell that streaming service.
Ph8te and allargon like this.
post #72 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
It has Ron Swanson and that’s a win in my book. I’m in no hurry. If Prime gets it, free or even for $13, I’d do it. So what’s going to be on the actual FX channel? I can see the Mouse cutting the proverbial cord and making it streaming only. That Mouse is a cheeky bastard.

Much of the same content will be on FX linear, then studio will decide what goes to linear and what goes to Hulu. Those on linear will be on Hulu same day or next day, those on Hulu (for now) will usually be exclusive to Hulu (there of course will be exceptions). Devs was supposed to be both, but was moved (for now) to Hulu exclusive (IIRC).

Hopefully I have enough caveats in the above to not offend those if something may change or be incorrect.
post #73 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked: 4076
Does this show really have just a stereo soundtrack? I notice the IMDb listing indicates stereo though that site is hardly the last word on what the facts are.

I also noticed that Devs has extremely limited distribution with Hulu being the only outlet. Seems like Garland never gets a wide release for his content.

Last edited by Keenan; 03-07-2020 at 04:52 PM.
post #74 of 185 Old 03-07-2020, 06:21 PM

Watched the 1st episode, it was very good. Quirky/weird for sure, but that is to be expected. Enough of a mystery drop to keep you wondering and enough clues to have you guessing in the right “probable” direction. I can see this being a favorite of the “mystery box” type crowd that love to dissect codes and meanings. I’m lolling forward to the rest if they can keep this up.
archiguy and shivaji like this.
post #75 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 11:53 AM

Second episode as “quirky” as the first. I can see why they moved this to Hulu as I don’t hunk it would have grabbed audiences. It’s VERY slow (IMO), but very good (again IMO). They did give us a glimpse of what they are doing, but the taste was just that. It allowed us to connect dots to a possibly bigger storyline, but I’m not sure if that will connect with folks. I’m in it until the end (unless it really falls off the rails).
post #76 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 6734 Post(s)
Liked: 7578
Very impressed so far. This has the potential to be very good based on the first 2 episodes. I also like the idea that it's a self-contained story, 8 eps & out. Considering the expansive vfx & inventive production design that they are not going to be able to amortize out over multiple seasons, that's kinda' surprising.
Ph8te likes this.
post #77 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Very impressed so far. This has the potential to be very good based on the first 2 episodes. I also like the idea that it's a self-contained story, 8 eps & out. Considering the expansive vfx & inventive production design that they are not going to be able to amortize out over multiple seasons, that's kinda' surprising.

It for sure reminds me of a “prestige” show, not a ratings/money getter.
post #78 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
this show was off to a such great start, a unique presentation, a bit of wonder, the audio was also cool.
Spoiler!
Tack likes this.
post #79 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
this show was off to a such great start, a unique presentation, a bit of wonder, the audio was also cool.
Spoiler!
True, and I was also wondering... (and don't read this if you haven't seen Ep-2)

Spoiler!
post #80 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 02:46 PM

Shiv, is there something that will reliably work? Your “suggestion” would require multiple things to be true, none of which have been stated/shown in the show. It also would stop the fact of the “long term” (it wasn’t something temporary or short, this had been going on for many years). Could they have added it sure, but I’m thinking they have limitations they wanted to set as well. To me, I didn’t have issues with what they did, the decisions made sense and the “struggle” fit considering who was involved.
post #81 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

is there 5.1 audio with Devs and in general with all Hulu Originals--for example Castle Rock, (when using the Apple TV 4K)?
post #82 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
is there 5.1 audio with Devs and in general with all Hulu Originals--for example Castle Rock, (when using the Apple TV 4K)?
That's what I'm getting for 'Devs', yes. And I watched the first two through the ATV 4K as well. Don't know about their other originals, but can't imagine they wouldn't also be DD5.1 as that's the audio standard for HDTV.

Would love an Atmos track, but that may not be in Hulu's wheelhouse.
Ph8te and TitusTroy like this.
post #83 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1318 Post(s)
Liked: 1348
We are being shown humans at the cutting edge of knowledge and technology in this show.
Spoiler!
Ph8te likes this.
post #84 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 6841
I think this show is awesome. I kept clicking on the third ep before I realized it wasn't available yet. Teases!

I don't see any mystery box behavior here, just a well told story unfolding at the pace that it needs to. A welcome break from the Lindelof bs we've been seeing lately.

Really pleasantly surprised to see Nick Offerman pull this off so well. I love the guy, and the Ron Swanson character dearly, but I was apprehensive about him in this kind of role. Shame on me.
shivaji, Ph8te and TitusTroy like this.
post #85 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Really pleasantly surprised to see Nick Offerman pull this off so well. I love the guy, and the Ron Swanson character dearly, but I was apprehensive about him in this kind of role. Shame on me.
he's now the 2nd Parks and Rec actor to branch out and surprise people- Chris Pratt being the first...Rainn Wilson, Steve Carell and John Krasinski have also done surprisingly well in dramatic roles post-Office
post #86 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:

I don't see any mystery box behavior here, just a well told story unfolding at the pace that it needs to. A welcome break from the Lindelof bs we've been seeing lately.

Yeah I said that before seeing episode two show went in a different direction, which was nice.
Tack likes this.
post #87 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
We are being shown humans at the cutting edge of knowledge and technology in this show.
Spoiler!

I get what you were saying, but I’m some ways I’m glad they didn’t go that route. Sometimes simple is effective and sophisticated gets “complicated”. It seems thus far it’s minimal staffing, so sophisticated may not make that possible (of course we’ve seen many ways in other movies/tv shows/etc.
post #88 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
he's now the 2nd Parks and Rec actor to branch out and surprise people- Chris Pratt being the first...Rainn Wilson, Steve Carell and John Krasinski have also done surprisingly well in dramatic roles post-Office
I re-watch The Office episodes from time to time, and I can't believe Steve Carell pulled that off. I guess I didn't realize it at the time, but that was some really serious acting. Not too many people could have done that.

Rainn Wilson was also in Galaxy Quest pre Office. Too funny when you watch that now and realize who he is.

I'm surprised Aubry Plaza and Rashida Jones aren't in more things these days. Aubry was in a quirky sci fi in 2012 called Safety Not Guaranteed, that's worth a watch. Not perfect, but good.
post #89 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Rainn Wilson was also in Galaxy Quest pre Office. Too funny when you watch that now and realize who he is.

I'm surprised Aubry Plaza and Rashida Jones aren't in more things these days. Aubry was in a quirky sci fi in 2012 called Safety Not Guaranteed, that's worth a watch. Not perfect, but good.
recently Rainn was in a few S1 episodes of ST: Discovery playing Harry Mudd...Aubrey Plaza was great in that Legion show on FX...I watched S1 but never bothered watching the rest
post #90 of 185 Old 03-08-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
recently Rainn was in a few S1 episodes of ST: Discovery playing Harry Mudd...Aubrey Plaza was great in that Legion show on FX...I watched S1 but never bothered watching the rest
Funny, I got dumped into one of the Legion episodes trying to play ep 3 of Devs. An espresso machine telling a sad tale to Jean Smart. Looked interesting. Not so much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page