Forum Jump: 
 117Likes

post #151 of 185 Old 03-21-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Another fun read - not dense at all - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bro...%93Bohm_theory

Never thought I'd research quantum physics due to a TV show

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I think Kenton was going to take Lily on "her last ride" and she knew it. The psychiatrist gave him the justification he would use with Forest, who told him not to kill Lilly. Which was why she freaked & wrecked the car.

He got an order to have her committed into his custody, then went back to Jamie's place with the cops. He told them she was a nutcase who just wrecked his car and that's why they treated her the way they did. After all, he works for a big high-tech company and she's... nothing. Kenton then killed Jamie after the cops left. No loose ends.

I didn't get Forest's freak-out when Lyndon figured out how to filter out all the noise, or why he fired her. Seems that she gave him exactly what he wanted.

It doesn't seem like he wants to change the past and prevent his daughter's death. His conversation with Katie sounded like that's what he was afraid of. Seems like he just wants to look at her. And cry? Yeah, lots of questions...

But I'm still digging this show!
Broke Forrest's rules...he doesn't want a random universe and there is no way to tell which universe you could potentially be viewing in the multi-verse - too many variations

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon View Post
Is she the main protagonist? The show is named Devs, not Lilly. Let's not forget that roughly 10 years ago, another show started with a family patriarch as its main focus only to behead him before concluding its first season.

Sent using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yeah, I get the whole Multiverse thing .. I'm just confused as to how Forest knows it's not "our" piece of the Multiverse .. .. and why fire a person and shell out a 10 Million severance when they, at the minimum, have cracked the code on great audio and apparently, worked for great video as well ..
I think the idea is if you go down the road of multi-verse...there are infinite numbers of universes and there is absolutely no way to tell which one you are viewing -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I think the point was they don’t know which universe it was that was showing through clear. It could be theirs, it could be different. There was no real way to be sure, yet.
Yup, this is how I read it...

Quote:
So I went back and watched the episode again with closed-captions on, and I still can't figure out why Forest fired Lyndon. Some techno-babble about the multi-verse, but Lyndon's breakthrough could not do anything but advance the overall goal of the project, whatever that is, seems to me. Rash, yes. But Forest is not all "there", is he?

Other fun-fact from watching the ep with CC on: Lyndon is a "he", although the actress, Cailee Spaeny, is a girl. Androgyny seems to be a character theme on this show.
Yeah, I think my biggest question at the moment is what Devs goal actually is...clearly they are trying to see a perfect version of our past (and future - though this is against the rules as well - for the engineers). Clearly Forrest wants to revisit his daughter...but just to view past history of his specific daughter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymzy View Post
I guess Lyndon's method theoretically leads to a different result every time it runs. Forest hates multiverse.
Another wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_wave_theory

Quote:
The positions of the particles are considered to be the hidden variables. The observer not only doesn't know the precise value of these variables of the quantum system considered, and cannot know them precisely because any measurement disturbs them. On the other hand, one (the observer) is defined not by the wave function of one's atoms, but by the atoms' positions. So what one sees around oneself are also the positions of nearby things, not their wave functions.

A collection of particles has an associated matter wave, which evolves according to the Schrödinger equation. Each particle follows a deterministic trajectory, which is guided by the wave function; collectively, the density of the particles conforms to the magnitude of the wave function. The wave function is not influenced by the particle and can exist also as an empty wave function.[18]

The theory brings to light nonlocality that is implicit in the non-relativistic formulation of quantum mechanics and uses it to satisfy Bell's theorem. These nonlocal effects can be shown to be compatible with the no-communication theorem, which prevents use of them for faster-than-light communication, and so is empirically compatible with relativity.
Interview with Garland: https://www.cnet.com/news/devs-creat...tum-weirdness/

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 185 Old 03-21-2020, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2777 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post

Yeah, I think my biggest question at the moment is what Devs goal actually is...clearly they are trying to see a perfect version of our past (and future - though this is against the rules as well - for the engineers). Clearly Forrest wants to revisit his daughter...but just to view past history of his specific daughter?

Although at this point I'm just guessing, like everyone else, but I think the underlying goal of devs is to somehow 'undo' the past somehow -- as obviously his daughter is the crux of his motivation. Although if that was the case, you'd think the multiverse stuff might be the way to go as sort of a workaround.

Not sure how to rectify changing the past with science, however, unless the show goes down the 'everything is a simulation' rabbit hole.
post #153 of 185 Old 03-21-2020, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Not sure how to rectify changing the past with science, however, unless the show goes down the 'everything is a simulation' rabbit hole.
Just read an article that was strongly suggesting that the real goal is to prove that we are in a simulation...4 more to go! Apparently it is also a self-contained season and any future seasons would be anthologies and not a continuation of the current narrative

Very interesting
Tack and Doe Doe like this.

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 185 Old 03-26-2020, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6868 Post(s)
Liked: 6801
Another really good episode (IMO), I liked how they played with visualizing the multiverse. Also liked the little background/focus we got on Katie. An interesting supposition she had regarding Forest’s motives.
post #155 of 185 Old 03-26-2020, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Another really good episode (IMO), I liked how they played with visualizing the multiverse. Also liked the little background/focus we got on Katie. An interesting supposition she had regarding Forest’s motives.

Agree, overall I liked this episode too. The Katie background and mouse experiment were really well done.

Although I have to admit the first half lagged a bit for me. I was afraid for a while the entire thing would be focusing on Lily and her past.

Sounds strange to say, as she is kind of the protagonist (if the show in fact has one), but Lily sort of is the weak link so far for me ... story drags a little whenever she and her boyfriend/s do their thing.

Not sure if it's the actor's performance, not that there is anything necessarily wrong with it that I can put a finger on, just that she seems to play the role understated and somewhat flat. Or the fact that I'm much more interested in the science-y bits/devs and their experiments and want to see how that all plays out vs a rewind of generic romantic interludes with somewhat bland characters.
archiguy, Keenan and Ph8te like this.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 03-26-2020 at 10:31 PM.
post #156 of 185 Old 03-27-2020, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Despite the latest episode, it's still unclear what Forests goal is.
I don't think it's timetravel or to bring his daughter back or reunite with her.

All they can do with their machine, is look into the past and future and maybe, have a look at other possible universes.

And I would still like to know what Sergei read when he was introduced to the Devs chamber.
It must have been something very dramatic, not just "wow - this is amazing science code..."
It was very disturbing to him.
post #157 of 185 Old 03-27-2020, 05:41 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6731 Post(s)
Liked: 7577
Another really good episode. This one was written & directed by the showrunner. Very hypnotic in the pacing & musical choices. Really liked the scene where Katie exits the lecture hall after berating the professor for championing the "wrong" quantum theory (I'm still a little fuzzy on all that; very wonky) and we see many different realities all at once including one where she was so mad she smashed her computer on the ground. Also liked the scene where the auto accident did not occur and several alternate versions were superimposed at once. This is creative filmmaking; very well done.

Damn, Kenton is hardcore isn't he? He really wants to tie up the Lily loose end, so much so that he literally threatened his boss. When Katie said it wasn't "in his power" to kill her, and Kenton said, umm no - do you know me?, I took that as Katie had seen Lily's death (in 48 hours after the last episode; we're getting closer ) and it was not Kenton that did/will do the dirty deed.

Jamie has something up his sleeve. He's not going to let this go just because Kenton scared him poopless & broke his finger. Maybe his plan goes wrong and he ends up being responsible for Lily's death?

I now think Forest's ultimate goal is to "re-write" this universe. Replace it with one where his wife & daughter were not killed in that auto accident. That may be what is so terrifying to Sergi and others who have seen that "new reality". Like the butterfly principle, changing the past like that could have disastrous results. Sergi may have gotten a glimpse of that.
post #158 of 185 Old 03-27-2020, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1344
It is too bad that the lofty ideas of this show and the unique visuals of the lab, are all just the by-products of a broken lifeless man. There is something about the guy playing kenton, from show to show, a few being The Good Fight, Ray Donovan and this one, that I find totally unlikeable and barely watchable. He also doesn't quite do it for me as a scary former spy. He needs a good beat down.
Tack likes this.
post #159 of 185 Old 03-27-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
It is too bad that the lofty ideas of this show and the unique visuals of the lab, are all just the by-products of a broken lifeless man. There is something about the guy playing kenton, from show to show, a few being The Good Fight, Ray Donovan and this one, that I find totally unlikeable and barely watchable. He also doesn't quite do it for me as a scary former spy. He needs a good beat down.
Well, he sure ain't getting it from Jamie.
lax01, shivaji, Ph8te and 1 others like this.
post #160 of 185 Old 03-27-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post
Despite the latest episode, it's still unclear what Forests goal is.
I don't think it's timetravel or to bring his daughter back or reunite with her.

All they can do with their machine, is look into the past and future and maybe, have a look at other possible universes.

And I would still like to know what Sergei read when he was introduced to the Devs chamber.
It must have been something very dramatic, not just "wow - this is amazing science code..."
It was very disturbing to him.

I think Katie “nailed” it for the most part, he’s trying to absolve himself of the guilt he feels in regards to his wife’s and daughters death. If our future is “determined” (we can’t change it) then he had no control over what happened/happens, if we CAN change the future, then he may be partially to blame for the decision he made to have them come and get him and for “forgetting” to go to the store.

The real trick of it all (I’m thinking) May be crossing over/joining universes to “bring back” someone who has died. The mouse was/is the experiment to test that theory and seeing it “alive” in another universe might mean they were able to bring it back somehow. In the end humans tend to be selfish and if given the chance would attempt or actually bring back someone they lost (if they could) as they wouldn’t “care” about the consequences in the other universe, only that the person they love is back.

Katie seems to be the smartest person in the room and using the machine to see the past and the future gives her great insight that she might otherwise be missing or someone would try to obfuscate. The “wasn’t in your power” was an interesting line that seemed like a taunt until we saw her watching the “breakout” on the machine. Her motives might be what ultimately decide how this show ends.
post #161 of 185 Old 03-28-2020, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5022 Post(s)
Liked: 6841
What a great song to open the episode with. Somebody is pretty good at selecting tracks for this. That guitar is soo tubey and delicious.

Keenan, shivaji, Ph8te and 2 others like this.
post #162 of 185 Old 03-29-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Prior to Season 7...

Season 7 of what? Is Jin Ha (Jaime) or Zach Grenier (Kenton) in some show that you’re referring to?
post #163 of 185 Old 03-30-2020, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 3187 Post(s)
Liked: 4235
I get a bit confused with the timeline (no pun intended) .. It seemed to me the mouse experiment was earlier in the Project and that Forest was attempting some sort of resurrection of the Dead .. and, it looked like Lily was there ..

The multiple images of Forest after the accident were interesting, as well as Katie leaving the building and first meeting up with Forest .. and, went hand in hand with the lecture ..

Kenton is not a young man .. sure, he's ex-whatever, yet Jamie was not attempting any self-defense ..

Still more questions than answers .. and I take back any comments on Lily and her look and dress, for a couple seconds there, she looked pretty damned sexy to me, anyway ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #164 of 185 Old 03-30-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I get a bit confused with the timeline (no pun intended) .. It seemed to me the mouse experiment was earlier in the Project and that Forest was attempting some sort of resurrection of the Dead .. and, it looked like Lily was there ..

The multiple images of Forest after the accident were interesting, as well as Katie leaving the building and first meeting up with Forest .. and, went hand in hand with the lecture ..

Kenton is not a young man .. sure, he's ex-whatever, yet Jamie was not attempting any self-defense ..

Still more questions than answers .. and I take back any comments on Lily and her look and dress, for a couple seconds there, she looked pretty damned sexy to me, anyway ..

I’m not sure it if it was resurrection or just proving there is a universe where the mouse was alive. This could mean many things due to the many possibilities (they never killed it in one, they brought it back in another, etc). I believe you are correct that the experiment shown was early on in the project as a proof of concept. They had a much larger team then as well (I don’t think Lily was there, maybe someone that looked like her).
post #165 of 185 Old 03-30-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I get a bit confused with the timeline (no pun intended) .. It seemed to me the mouse experiment was earlier in the Project and that Forest was attempting some sort of resurrection of the Dead .. and, it looked like Lily was there ...
So was Lyndon. So, definitely earlier.
post #166 of 185 Old 03-30-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I’m not sure it if it was resurrection or just proving there is a universe where the mouse was alive. This could mean many things due to the many possibilities (they never killed it in one, they brought it back in another, etc). I believe you are correct that the experiment shown was early on in the project as a proof of concept. They had a much larger team then as well (I don’t think Lily was there, maybe someone that looked like her).
I'm going to watch it again tonight .. yesterday I had to do the first yard mow of the season, had downed a few beers later and I was beat by the time I finally got to it .. was late in watching it this week for various reasons ..
Ph8te and allargon like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #167 of 185 Old 03-30-2020, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

One of the Katie images reminded me of myself...when she dropped her laptop!
post #168 of 185 Old 04-02-2020, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I found this latest episode just okay ... a mostly necessary in-between filler type of episode... a little lackluster in parts -- not bad, not great.

Although I like the show, as it goes along I'm becoming more convinced that the role of Lily was miscast. Or her direction was terrible. I am not sure what other films/shows the actress has been in, but if you told me she was actually a real life coder with little to no acting experience, I'd believe it.

Most of her delivery comes across as flat and very low key. If she's happy/contemplative/angry/sad/whatever, her expression doesn't change a whole lot. . Most of the time the only difference is the volume of her voice -- angry is loud, otherwise it's a mumbly monotone delivery.

The robotic/logical delivery works great for Katie, as that fits her character. Just for Lily, it comes across as if the actress was heavily sedated (and I just don't mean the sedation scene), I mean the entire show.

And if nitpicking, I'm not so crazy how Kenton has shaped up ... it's like the show wants to make him a 'bad guy' while a show like this really shouldn't have a generic bad guy character.
shivaji likes this.
post #169 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 07:12 AM

I agree with Doe, that this was a necessary “connector” episode, instill enjoyed it. Forest is an interesting character, since we don’t know the “real” him. His interactions with Jaime could be genuine, it could also be a ploy to play “dumb”. Katie reading Lily into the project was more great interaction. Lily reacted as many folks would when their free will was challenged.

Many of us had already guessed he’s trying to bring his daughter back, so that reveal while needed for the show, was good to see them say. It appears Katie was successful brining the Mouse back/over. I have to think there is more to Pete than meets the eye. He seems very protective of Lily and his actions/words almost make it seem like he knows more than he should. I would almost guess he’s from the future or another universe, protecting the timeline of events of which Lily seems to be an important cog.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with the event, of Forest does try to take his daughter or even change the past that would have disastrous ripple effects. If he takes her, that would drive every other Forest to attempt to do the same. If he saves her, that would rewrite years of interactions from that point forward (I would think in more than just one universe).

The show is good in that it doesn’t keep you wondering and tends to answer some of the questions brought up in the previous week in the following weeks episode.
post #170 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 07:19 AM

I'd disagree about Lily. I think she's playing the role they want her to. Makes it seem surreal. The whole thing is dry. Dry as a bone. Lindsay Crouse House of Games dry. The actor playing Jaime is really good here I think. Trying to keep it dry like the others, but his eyes belie an urge to scream at the top of his lungs, "What the hell is going on here!" I'm buying it, at least so far.

I do agree about Kenton though. Good casting for a Spy Kids bad guy, not great here.

I like the whole 21 hours thing. Very spooky. I'd imagine the computer can't see past 21 hours because IT wont exist longer than that. Or is it something more devastating?
post #171 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 07:41 AM

I agree with a lot of what Ph8te was saying. I was surprised Katie was so brutally honest with Lily. She was trying to explain why Sergi had to be killed, and why they didn't feel any remorse about it. There was really no other choice. This technology simply cannot be allowed to get out in the wild, especially to the Russians. It could end the world as we know it. Perhaps that is what Sergi saw, what terrified him so much. Or maybe he just saw Lily's death...?

Katie knows they are playing with fire at Devs, and she might feel like if she can get close enough to Forest, including being his "girlfriend", she can reign him in, maybe convince him not to do what he seems determined to do. Which is, as we've probably figured out, change the timeline to bring his wife & daughter back. That's why he's uninterested in the multiverse. He can only exist in this one.

She knows something terrible is going to happen 21 hours from now. The timeline will no longer be predictable. Determinism will fail. My guess is Lily ends up at Devs and somehow fraks with the Machinery. Ends up killing her, or perhaps she is killed by somebody else (probably not Kenton) in order to prevent her from breaking or changing the machine. Note that Katie did not tell Lily she was going to die, just that their ability to see the future, made by specific decisions, ends at that point.

So, perhaps genuine randomness is thus introduced into the equation at that point? If so, it is/was likely something Lily will do.

I agree Pete is more than he appears. Otherwise, what's the reason for him to be in the plotline?

It's not just Lily that's a wildcard, either. Lyndon is back, and he's going to get Stewart to help him get back into Devs. Gotta' love Stewart. He's probably a millionaire yet he prefers to live in a run-down RV. These Amaya folks are sure not pretentious.

Fun fact: Notice the name of the young actress who plays Amaya (IMDB is your friend). Interesting. I actually noticed it in the end credits last night. I'm one of those weirdos who watches those things.
Ph8te likes this.
post #172 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 10:06 AM

Going back to the semi-smarmy Congresswoman, AMAYA / DEVS being funded via Government Black Ops Money .. I would think, based on the trajectory the show has taken, at some point, that plot line has to intersect .. why introduce that if not .. ??

Katie seems more chilling to me than Kenton .. she just has a weird look, her eyes are so close together .. and brings a feeling, to me anyway, that she could snap at any time ..

Stewart is a great addition to this Cast and brings a certain levity to any scene he's in ..

Questions answered / Questions raised .. top notch entertainment value .. the show, IMO unless things change, should be an Award Winner ..

Uncle Willie

post #173 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Going back to the semi-smarmy Congresswoman, AMAYA / DEVS being funded via Government Black Ops Money .. I would think, based on the trajectory the show has taken, at some point, that plot line has to intersect .. why introduce that if not .. ??

Katie seems more chilling to me than Kenton .. she just has a weird look, her eyes are so close together .. and brings a feeling, to me anyway, that she could snap at any time ..

Stewart is a great addition to this Cast and brings a certain levity to any scene he's in ..

Questions answered / Questions raised .. top notch entertainment value .. the show, IMO unless things change, should be an Award Winner ..
I forgot all about that. Hmm.
post #174 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2501 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
This show is about determinism as was established in the first episode. This latest episode delves deep into that discussion. Current the psychology world is deep into research about determinism vs free will. The latter may well be nothing more than an illusion as Katie was pointing out to Lilly.

AMAYA means "reality". Maya is a Sanskrit term for "illusion". When you put an "A" before a Sanskrit word it negates it's meaning. Thus Amaya would be "not illusion" or "reality" and Forest named his kid that and thus the company.
post #175 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I found this latest episode just okay ... a mostly necessary in-between filler type of episode... a little lackluster in parts -- not bad, not great.

Although I like the show, as it goes along I'm becoming more convinced that the role of Lily was miscast. Or her direction was terrible. I am not sure what other films/shows the actress has been in, but if you told me she was actually a real life coder with little to no acting experience, I'd believe it.

Most of her delivery comes across as flat and very low key. If she's happy/contemplative/angry/sad/whatever, her expression doesn't change a whole lot. . Most of the time the only difference is the volume of her voice -- angry is loud, otherwise it's a mumbly monotone delivery.

The robotic/logical delivery works great for Katie, as that fits her character. Just for Lily, it comes across as if the actress was heavily sedated (and I just don't mean the sedation scene), I mean the entire show.

And if nitpicking, I'm not so crazy how Kenton has shaped up ... it's like the show wants to make him a 'bad guy' while a show like this really shouldn't have a generic bad guy character.
If you haven't seen it Maniac on Netflix, I would definitely suggest it to see how good of an actress Sonoya Mizuno is...she was also very solid in Alex Garland's Ex Machina though I remember it less than Maniac

Alison Pill, another fantastic actress, is also playing it VERY dry - she is almost NOTHING like her character from Newsroom or American Horror Story

Quote:
I agree with Doe, that this was a necessary “connector” episode, instill enjoyed it. Forest is an interesting character, since we don’t know the “real” him. His interactions with Jaime could be genuine, it could also be a ploy to play “dumb”. Katie reading Lily into the project was more great interaction. Lily reacted as many folks would when their free will was challenged.

Many of us had already guessed he’s trying to bring his daughter back, so that reveal while needed for the show, was good to see them say. It appears Katie was successful brining the Mouse back/over. I have to think there is more to Pete than meets the eye. He seems very protective of Lily and his actions/words almost make it seem like he knows more than he should. I would almost guess he’s from the future or another universe, protecting the timeline of events of which Lily seems to be an important cog.

Looking forward to seeing what happens with the event, of Forest does try to take his daughter or even change the past that would have disastrous ripple effects. If he takes her, that would drive every other Forest to attempt to do the same. If he saves her, that would rewrite years of interactions from that point forward (I would think in more than just one universe).

The show is good in that it doesn’t keep you wondering and tends to answer some of the questions brought up in the previous week in the following weeks episode.
I think Forest is genuine...maybe they cast Nick Offerman to make us believe that so they could subvert our expectations - but I still feel like his motivations are clear - who knows, they could totally spin things up in the final two episodes

So, resurrection is the goal - or so they say. BUT they didn't resurrect the mouse - and yet, the mouse was alive and eating the cheese - or was that another Verse??

So is the future point where determinism no longer hold is the resurrection? As that would definitely fall outside the cause-and-effect methodology. What caused the resurrection? But if the resurrection is truly that point - which Lily has a hand in - does Forest try to stop it? Wouldn't that go against his tram-lines?
Ph8te likes this.

Josh
post #176 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you haven't seen it Maniac on Netflix, I would definitely suggest it to see how good of an actress Sonoya Mizuno is...she was also very solid in Alex Garland's Ex Machina though I remember it less than Maniac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urqMnbUqS7g

Alison Pill, another fantastic actress, is also playing it VERY dry - she is almost NOTHING like her character from Newsroom or American Horror Story

I think Forest is genuine...maybe they cast Nick Offerman to make us believe that so they could subvert our expectations - but I still feel like his motivations are clear - who knows, they could totally spin things up in the final two episodes

So, resurrection is the goal - or so they say. BUT they didn't resurrect the mouse - and yet, the mouse was alive and eating the cheese - or was that another Verse??

So is the future point where determinism no longer hold is the resurrection? As that would definitely fall outside the cause-and-effect methodology. What caused the resurrection? But if the resurrection is truly that point - which Lily has a hand in - does Forest try to stop it? Wouldn't that go against his tram-lines?
Ah, didn't recognize her from Maniac. So as an actress she's fine, just that she was directed to be somewhat muted/laid back in performance. And yeah, Allison Pill is super dry ... just for whatever reason it feels like it works for me with Katie and with Lily it come across like the actress swallowed a bottle of Benadryl.

As for the mouse nibbling on cheese, my takeaway was less a resurrection, and more a 'past' viewing or a multiverse viewing.

And as for where this is all leading -- if reality is a simulation, pretty much anything could theoretically be changed -- just a matter of altering some variables or rules. The question is if that was the plan all along and Forest knows more than he has let on -- as if resurrection is the goal, breaking or altering the simulation is kind of a given. It'd be like a sim doing something weird and breaking the sim world... then the simulation may change, computer may restart the game, or the entire thing crashes.
lax01 likes this.
post #177 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 02:38 PM

I thought the mouse was eating a piece of bread crust .. ?? That may be key ..
Doe Doe likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #178 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
As for the mouse nibbling on cheese, my takeaway was less a resurrection, and more a 'past' viewing or a multiverse viewing.
That was my take on it. I don't think they brought a dead mouse back to life there in the floating Dev-Cube.
post #179 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
That was my take on it. I don't think they brought a dead mouse back to life there in the floating Dev-Cube.
My brain is not what it used to be, but .. I thought a human placed a bread crust next to what appeared to be a dead and desiccated mouse .. then, suddenly, the mouse lived and was eating the crust .. so, yeah, I thought the mouse came back to life ..

The show is messing with my Head ..
lax01 and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

post #180 of 185 Old 04-04-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
My brain is not what it used to be, but .. I thought a human placed a bread crust next to what appeared to be a dead and desiccated mouse .. then, suddenly, the mouse lived and was eating the crust .. so, yeah, I thought the mouse came back to life ..

The show is messing with my Head ..
The way they've explained the Devs system thus far is it is only a past (or future) timeline viewer, not a multiverse transfer portal. Now, I suppose it is possible they were able to replace (or transfer) this universe with one where the mouse lived. And whether one innocuous mouse lived or not would not represent any kind of significant alteration in this universe. It would be effectively harmless, not enough of a butterfly effect to make any difference.

But replacing this one with one where Forest's daughter & wife lived would obviously be very significant. And an entirely different category of risk. Maybe Katie understands this and, per my theory above, is trying to gently persuade Forest to stop before it gets that far. Maybe by giving him something & someone to love again. Taking one for the team as it were. Team humanity.

Also interesting is how Forest seems to be obsessed with his daughter, but hasn't shown the same level of heartbreak regarding his wife. She's barely been seen in flashbacks & past viewing events and not even mentioned in the show AFAIK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page