117Likes

post #1 of 185 Old 10-03-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5750 Post(s)
Liked: 5265
Devs- FX HD

the main reason to get excited about this new series- it's from visionary screenwriter/director/filmmaker Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Annihilation)...he's only made 2 movies but both of them were really impressive from a storytelling and visual standpoint...especially since they didn't seem to have the budget of some of the bigger movie studios...DEVS is a high-tech suspense thriller about a young software engineer who investigates the secretive development division of her employer, which she believes is behind the murder of her boyfriend

DEVS runs just eight episodes in length, but Garland wrote and directed all of them ensuring his vision remains intact throughout...Garland is similar to Nicolas Winding Refn in that his style and vision is so unique that big name studios are hesitating to finance his films...it's striking that in the wake of Annihilation—one of the most ambitious films of 2018—Garland made the move to television, but of course his brand of unique filmmaking is becoming harder and harder to get made for the big screen...

DEVS premieres on FX in early 2020...

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/devs...s-alex-garland
Don S and Keenan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 185 Old 10-05-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mysterious First Footage from Alex Garland's Devs Finally Revealed

at NYCC Garland explained that the genesis of the series stemmed from his love of science and a theory that by coupling the philosophy of determinism with the big tech power of now, one could predict the behavior of all lifeforms..."I read more about science than anything else, and it started with two things. One was getting my head around this principle of determinism, which basically says that everything that happens in the world is based on cause and effect. ... That has all sorts of implications for us. One is that it takes away free will, but the other is that if you are at a computer powerful enough, you could use determinism to predict the future and understand the past," said Garland. "If you unravel everything about you, about the specifics of you why you prefer a cup of coffee to tea ... then five seconds before you said you'd like to have a cup of coffee one would be able to predict you'd ask for it."

Garland also revealed that Devs will be a self-contained eight-episode miniseries."Devs is a one-off ... The story is done," Garland insisted. However, he said his time on the TV scene might not be over so quickly. "What I want to do is with this exact cast do a separate story."...

Last edited by TitusTroy; 01-11-2020 at 01:41 AM.
post #3 of 185 Old 10-09-2019, 03:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Well - that teaser was just stupid. Without reading the description you would have no idea what the show is about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 185 Old 10-10-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Liked: 2513
Alex Garland's 'Devs' explores free will in the age of predictive computing

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/10/...evs-interview/

Details about the show from NYCC.
post #5 of 185 Old 10-10-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

this sounds like smart TV at its finest...not a show for dummies
post #6 of 185 Old 11-08-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...g-hulu-1253252

Quote:
Four FX shows — 'Mrs. America,' 'Devs,' 'A Teacher' and 'The Old Man' — will move exclusively to Hulu as part of a new 'FX on Hulu' hub.
post #7 of 185 Old 01-09-2020, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #8 of 185 Old 01-09-2020, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

looks really impressive from a visual standpoint...premieres at 10:00 p.m. Thursday, March 5th on FX and the next day on FX on Hulu (weekly episode releases and not the entire series at once)...will the entire series be on FX as well or only the premiere?...what the heck is FX on Hulu?...is it the same as 'normal' Hulu?...why not just call it Hulu then?

anyway looking forward to seeing this...should be a brain twister...some good shows coming up in the first few months of 2020- Devs, Fargo, Better Call Saul, Curb Your Enthusiasm
post #9 of 185 Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
looks really impressive from a visual standpoint...premieres at 10:00 p.m. Thursday, March 5th on FX and the next day on FX on Hulu (weekly episode releases and not the entire series at once)...will the entire series be on FX as well or only the premiere?...what the heck is FX on Hulu?...is it the same as 'normal' Hulu?...why not just call it Hulu then?

anyway looking forward to seeing this...should be a brain twister...some good shows coming up in the first few months of 2020- Devs, Fargo, Better Call Saul, Curb Your Enthusiasm
Just read an article about this today but I can't find it. I did find the below article from a few months ago and basically, yes, "Devs" will appear on Hulu only. It's a new FX and Hulu partnership and includes about 3 other shows as well. Since Disney owns both Hulu and FX I guess this is a way to generate more revenue by moving new FX originals to the Hulu streaming platform.

FX to Stream Exclusively on Hulu, Moves ‘Devs,’ ‘Mrs. America,’ and More to Streamer
Tack and TitusTroy like this.
post #10 of 185 Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

FX on Hulu means Hulu only, not on FX. Basically, Disney is trying to add content to Hulu, so the easiest way was to move some stuff that was already in development on FX and move it to Hulu. I'm not sure where you got that premiere info. This is from Deadline: https://deadline.com/2020/01/fx-sets...ca-1202825595/
Quote:
The eight-episode new limited series from Alex Garland will premiere its first two episodes on Thursday, March 5, on FX on Hulu, followed by a new episode each subsequent week on the service.
Ph8te likes this.
post #11 of 185 Old 01-09-2020, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Just read an article about this today but I can't find it. I did find the below article from a few months ago and basically, yes, "Devs" will appear on Hulu only. It's a new FX and Hulu partnership and includes about 3 other shows as well. Since Disney owns both Hulu and FX I guess this is a way to generate more revenue by moving new FX originals to the Hulu streaming platform
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy77 View Post
FX on Hulu means Hulu only, not on FX. Basically, Disney is trying to add content to Hulu, so the easiest way was to move some stuff that was already in development on FX and move it to Hulu. I'm not sure where you got that premiere info. This is from Deadline: https://deadline.com/2020/01/fx-sets...ca-1202825595/
Hulu does seem like the ugly stepchild of streaming so I guess this is a good way of increasing their profile...outside of Handmaid's Tale Hulu doesn't really get a lot of buzz...maybe moving these high profile shows over to Hulu will help them get noticed amongst all the big Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ shows

@puddy77 originally the Deadline article you linked stated that the premiere would air on both FX and FX on Hulu (I think they edited it later)...but I think you both are right in that it will be a Hulu exclusive

Last edited by TitusTroy; 01-09-2020 at 01:11 PM.
post #12 of 185 Old 01-09-2020, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4410 Post(s)
Liked: 4076
Quote:
AT&T is also doing the same with its HBO Max product, taking Warner content that was originally developed/targeted for channels like The CW and moving it to the HBO Max streaming platform. Apparently there are around 3-4 new shows that have been held back until the launch of HBO Max. They have to justify that high $15 per month cost somehow I guess.
post #13 of 185 Old 01-09-2020, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 6870 Post(s)
Liked: 6805
Quote:

I think it’s the “perfect” marriage so to speak. They can use FX on Hulu for shows that might be too “edgy” for commercial driven side, or audiences that may fit the online profile better and then use the FX/Hulu combo to still put out “high value” content. People were wondering how Hulu would be used can now see the start of how Disney will build its two towers (Disney+ and Hulu). Most folks on here will probably gravitate to Hulu, especially since you can get add free FX shows next day or same day.
post #14 of 185 Old 01-10-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I agree that putting FX content on Hulu is a good way to bolster it in advance of all the new streaming services. It gives Disney a place to put all the more mature content they won't put on Disney+, such as the stuff from Fox and FX. And Devs certainly makes me want to subscribe to Hulu again. My only hope is that Hulu starts using HDR this year.

Here's a better written commentary about the FX on Hulu arrangement: https://observer.com/2020/01/what-is...-info-details/

Quote:
The bulk of FX’s existing library will be re-routed to Hulu upon launch. This includes critically acclaimed and award-winning series from FX Networks such as American Horror Story, Archer, Atlanta, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, What We Do in the Shadows, Sons of Anarchy, Justified, Fosse/Verdon and The Shield. Hulu will also make new FX shows available to subscribers hours after they air on linear television. In total, Hulu is expected to house 40 series (1,600 episodes) of existing FX content at launch.

Most importantly, FX will begin debuting new series exclusive to Hulu starting with Alex Garland’s (Annihilation, Ex Machina) Devs, the Martin Freeman comedy Breeders and rapper Lil Dicky’s Dave on March 2. Cate Blanchett’s Mrs. America will follow on April 15 while A Teacher and Jeff Bridge’s The Old Man have yet to receive streaming premiere dates. A third of Hulu’s scripted originals will reportedly be FX series in 2020 and 2021, per THR.
Ph8te likes this.
post #15 of 185 Old 01-10-2020, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4998 Post(s)
Liked: 3987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I think it’s the “perfect” marriage so to speak. They can use FX on Hulu for shows that might be too “edgy” for commercial driven side,
FX's shows are already plenty edgy. No need to foist them off on Hulu as if regular FX could only air family-friendly fare.

The only reason these shows are going exclusive to Hulu is to boost Hulu's profile, at the expense of FX itself, and its viewers who don't want to pay for another streaming subscription.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #16 of 185 Old 02-07-2020, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
Devs - Gold Preview

Devs - Amaya Preview

Keenan likes this.

post #17 of 185 Old 02-07-2020, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to use my 30 day free Hulu trial in March for this...will wait until after the 3rd episode airs, that way I can watch the entire season within the 30 day trial...I can also watch both seasons of Castle Rock at that time as well (the only other show on Hulu I have any interest in)...hopefully Devs is in 4K
allargon likes this.
post #18 of 185 Old 02-07-2020, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Liked: 1959
My guide shows 2 episodes drop Thurs March 5th, then one episode every Thurs till the remaining 6 episodes air.

8 episodes total, but my guide has been incorrect before

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
post #19 of 185 Old 02-07-2020, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
My guide shows 2 episodes drop Thurs March 5th, then one episode every Thurs till the remaining 6 episodes air

8 episodes total, but my guide has been incorrect before
that looks right...since 2 episodes are dropping on March 5th I'm going to have to wait until after the 4th episode airs before redeeming the free trial in order to be able to watch the entire season
post #20 of 185 Old 02-18-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #21 of 185 Old 02-18-2020, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

a not so positive review...

Devs Review: FX's Sci-Fi Thriller Gets Stuck Between 'Whoa' and 'WTF?'

I wanted to love Devs. I really did....I’m a huge fan of Alex Garland, the Ex Machina and Annihilation filmmaker who writes and directs all eight episodes of the FX on Hulu sci-fi thriller (debuting Thursday, March 5 exclusively on Hulu), and I couldn’t wait to see what mind-blowing magic he might conjure up on his own TV series...Based on the three advance episodes I’ve seen, Garland’s singular vision is in full effect — Devs contains some of the most stunning imagery I’ve seen on TV in recent years — but unfortunately, the story gets stuck at the starting gate, bogged down by dense tech jargon and a frustratingly cryptic conspiracy plot...

https://tvline.com/2020/02/18/devs-r...nick-offerman/
post #22 of 185 Old 02-18-2020, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
My free month of Hulu is up next week. It looks like I'll go ahead and cancel, and then wait until I hear the general consensus on whether this is worthwhile and sign up later this year to watch this and the second season of Castle Rock, which I probably don't have time for at this point.
post #23 of 185 Old 02-18-2020, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
My free month of Hulu is up next week. It looks like I'll go ahead and cancel, and then wait until I hear the general consensus on whether this is worthwhile and sign up later this year to watch this and the second season of Castle Rock, which I probably don't have time for at this point.
have you seen any of Alex Garlands' other movies- Annihilation or Ex Machina?...I thought both were very unique in terms of storytelling and visuals...I plan on watching Devs regardless of reviews because I know his work can be very polarizing- you either love it or just don't get it...sort of like Nicolas Winding Refn...I suggest watching either of those 2 movies and see if it's something you enjoy

Last edited by TitusTroy; 02-18-2020 at 02:25 PM.
post #24 of 185 Old 02-18-2020, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
Quote:
have you seen any of Alex Garlands' other movies- Annihilation or Ex Machina?...I thought both were very unique in terms of storytelling and visuals...I plan on watching Devs regardless of reviews because I know his work can be very polarizing- you either love it and just don't get it...sort of like Nicolas Winding Refn...I suggest watching either of those 2 movies and see if it's something you enjoy
I did enjoy Ex Machina and am hopeful for Devs, but there are very few shows I'd pay $24-$36 for two to three months of a streaming service to watch weekly. Besides s.2 Castle Rock, I've quite frankly run out of must-watch shows on Hulu for the time being.
post #25 of 185 Old 02-19-2020, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

any chance this gets 4K HDR support since it's on Hulu?
post #26 of 185 Old 02-20-2020, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
any chance this gets 4K HDR support since it's on Hulu?
4k is possible. But Hulu has yet to announce any HDR support, so that is less likely. I'll keep my fingers crossed that since this "FX on Hulu" thing is Disney's first big change since taking over management, they might flip a switch to add HDR support when this premieres. But chances are low that'll happen given Hulu's track record of glacially slow technology advancements.
post #27 of 185 Old 02-20-2020, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 6738 Post(s)
Liked: 7583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
We just signed up for the free month yesterday to catch the two years of 'Handmaid's Tale' we were behind on and that last season of 'Veronica Mars'. This looks like it might be worth it; might try to squeeze it in before the free-trial bell rings.
post #28 of 185 Old 02-20-2020, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Altered Carbon, Devs and Westworld are all starting up within the next month...smart sci-fi shows which require a brain to watch...
Ph8te and allargon like this.
post #29 of 185 Old 03-03-2020, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/stat...08610527842304

Quote:
Saw the first two eps of @Devs_FXonHulu last night and loved it, it’s beautiful, thoughtful, addictive sci-fi. With his movies Alex Garland is carrying on the tradition of authors like Heinlein, Bradbury and Ballard, it’s really exciting. Can’t wait to see more.
Brian Conrad and allargon like this.
post #30 of 185 Old 03-03-2020, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be signing up for the free 1 month Hulu trial sometime after Episode 4 airs (March 19th)...this way I can watch the entire series for free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page