2019-2020 NBA Season thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 62Likes

post #31 of 127 Old 10-22-2019, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4993 Post(s)
Liked: 4470
great seeing Ernie, Kenny, Chuck and Shaq back...best studio show ever!...and the guys are legit funny, not forced corny jokes like other studio shows...
karlsch and longhorn23 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 127 Old 10-22-2019, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

great piece on TNT regarding the History of Free Agency...they detailed how it all started with Oscar Robertson suing the league all the way up to Tom Chambers becoming the first unrestricted free agent in 1988 to Lebron's 'Decision' to team up with Wade/Bosh...all the way up to this past off-season where 74% of free agents changed teams...great job TNT!
longhorn23 likes this.
post #33 of 127 Old 10-22-2019, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked: 6455
Good job by the sans Zion Pelicans to hang in there. Their beaks can hold more than their belly can.

Really like Siakam on Toronto too. That dude has a ton of want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 127 Old 10-23-2019, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

that was a very good game for Opening Night between the Lakers and Clippers...my takeaways: Clippers are as good as advertised...Kawhi is a special player...their bench outscored the Lakers bench 60-19...I thought the Lakers were going to win tonight because Paul George was out but that Clip team is so deep...Patrick Beverley is a bulldog...Clips looked awful in the first half (mainly the 1st Qtr)...they started out the game with Beverley guarding Lebron which made no sense and they looked confused for 1.5 quarters...then they brought their bench guys in- Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell etc and they started scoring at will

Anthony Davis looked unstoppable in the first half then they stopped going to him...Danny Green had the game of his life and was the only reason the Lakers stayed close in the 2nd half...I think the Lakers are going to be really good but the Clippers are too talented and they have a deep bench...Lakers will finish as the 4th or 5th seed in the West...don't sleep on the Rockets, Jazz and Nuggets

too many experts on TV are in love with the Milwaukee Bucks...they are not going to be as good as people think...I think they are a 3 seed in the East behind Philly and my surprise team, the Boston Celtics...but the Sixers are the class of the East (if Embiid stays healthy)...their defense might be the best in the NBA
Zookster and longhorn23 like this.
post #35 of 127 Old 10-23-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked: 2983

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #36 of 127 Old 10-23-2019, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

NBA League Pass is free from October 22-29...so you can watch all the games...tonight's prime time games on ESPN are Celtics at Sixers and Denver at Portland
longhorn23 likes this.
post #37 of 127 Old 10-23-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6230 Post(s)
Liked: 6899
Anybody subscribing to League Pass this year? Just got my AT&T/DirecTV bill and they once again screwed it up. So when I call to straighten it out - again - maybe I'll ask the DTV Retention Department to comp League Pass as compensation for my trouble. Hey, it's worked before! I got 3 years of Sunday Ticket that way!
post #38 of 127 Old 10-23-2019, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Anybody subscribing to League Pass this year? Just got my AT&T/DirecTV bill and they once again screwed it up. So when I call to straighten it out - again - maybe I'll ask the DTV Retention Department to comp League Pass as compensation for my trouble. Hey, it's worked before! I got 3 years of Sunday Ticket that way!
I was tempted to but the NBA shows so many games on prime time across TNT, ESPN, ABC and NBA TV that I don't feel the need...if I didn't have NBA TV I might have been more tempted, they show a lot of games and not just the big market or top teams
post #39 of 127 Old 10-23-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I was tempted to but the NBA shows so many games on prime time across TNT, ESPN, ABC and NBA TV that I don't feel the need...if I didn't have NBA TV I might have been more tempted, they show a lot of games and not just the big market or top teams
Yeah, I did it last year just so I could see all the Warriors games. If you want to follow any one team religiously, that's what you have to do. I tried to get the NBC Bay Area sports channel added to my service, which has all the Dubs games, but they wouldn't let me. Something about not living in the Bay Area 'n all.
post #40 of 127 Old 10-23-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watching Nuggets v Blazers and listening to the WS while shopping for a new AVR, I'm in the zone. lol

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

post #41 of 127 Old 10-23-2019, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Maybe it's just me, but ESPN and TNT picture quality seems to be getting worse every year. TNT in particular is horrifically bad. Any slight movement on the screen, and it turns into a pixelated mess.
longhorn23 likes this.
post #42 of 127 Old 10-23-2019, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
Maybe it's just me, but ESPN and TNT picture quality seems to be getting worse every year. TNT in particular is horrifically bad. Any slight movement on the screen, and it turns into a pixelated mess.
ESPN actually looked better to me...TNT is a step down
longhorn23 likes this.
post #43 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Mavs have some nice young talent, the Unicorn looks good.
Doncic and Porzingis looked great in their first game together...the West is stacked...there are no bad teams...even the 16 seed in the West is going to be a decent team
cardoski and longhorn23 like this.
post #44 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
Sounds like a "you problem".

Seriously, I haven't see that. My guess is the issue is with your provider - some kind of bandwidth or compression issue.
Zookster likes this.
post #45 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Watching Nuggets v Blazers and listening to the WS while shopping for a new AVR, I'm in the zone. lol
Why a new AVR cardo? You upgrading your system to Atmos or something?

Reason I ask is I'm getting ready to take the 4K jump (probably LG C8 or C9) and am debating on whether or not to upgrade my Denon X4000. It's a perfectly serviceable AVR and I'm sticking with my 5.1 channel system, so I'm not sure it's necessary. But there may be a factor I'm missing...?
post #46 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

TNT has a nice doubleheader tonight...Milwaukee at Houston and the Golden State Warriors open up their new arena, Chase Center against the Clippers...I'm looking forward to seeing that beautiful new arena...Curry without Durant and Klay should be fun to watch...also can't wait to see this new look Rocket team with Westbrook joining Harden...
longhorn23 likes this.
post #47 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why a new AVR cardo? You upgrading your system to Atmos or something?

Reason I ask is I'm getting ready to take the 4K jump (probably LG C8 or C9) and am debating on whether or not to upgrade my Denon X4000. It's a perfectly serviceable AVR and I'm sticking with my 5.1 channel system, so I'm not sure it's necessary. But there may be a factor I'm missing...?
Atmos and better room correction, looking at NAD and Anthem or I might just grab a MINIDSP and use REW. I use REW to calibrate my subs and it does a great job.

Going to upgrade audio this year then upgrade my PJ the next, waiting for more 4K laser PJS in the 5grand range with decent contrast.

post #48 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
TNT has a nice doubleheader tonight...Milwaukee at Houston and the Golden State Warriors open up their new arena, Chase Center against the Clippers...I'm looking forward to seeing that beautiful new arena...Curry without Durant and Klay should be fun to watch...also can't wait to see this new look Rocket team with Westbrook joining Harden...
That scoreboard is utterly ridiculous ... check it out.

The game, however, will probably be unwatchable by the end of the first quarter.
TitusTroy likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 10-24-2019 at 01:33 PM.
post #49 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Atmos and better room correction, looking at NAD and Anthem or I might just grab a MINIDSP and use REW. I use REW to calibrate my subs and it does a great job.

Going to upgrade audio this year then upgrade my PJ the next, waiting for more 4K laser PJS in the 5grand range with decent contrast.
So you wiring your ceiling for Atmos, or are you doing the up-firing floor speaker thing? Like you, I'm waiting for true 4K projection to come down to reasonable price levels before I upgrade my projector.
post #50 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So you wiring your ceiling for Atmos, or are you doing the up-firing floor speaker thing? Like you, I'm waiting for true 4K projection to come down to reasonable price levels before I upgrade my projector.
I am going to do front, back and side height speakers. Right now I have 7.2 (diy subs) with back height channels pointing down.

I recently upgraded my screen to a 2.4 gain, the extra brightness will give my old JVC a few more years.

I am sort of a hermit so my room only has one seat in it, it is also 100% covered in velvet so it is likely one of the darker rooms anywhere, a real trip to watch Basketball or whatever as you just see a 120in screen floating and nothing else. I even have a velvet snuggy for watching NBA in the winter so I don't see my body.lol
archiguy and TitusTroy like this.

post #51 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I am going to do front, back and side height speakers. Right now I have 7.2 (diy subs) with back height channels pointing down.

I recently upgraded my screen to a 2.4 gain, the extra brightness will give my old JVC a few more years.
I'm designing a house for a couple right now that will have a dedicated theater room over the garage. Since it's all new construction I'll get to set it up however I want. Got to scale the Atmos learning curve. Figure I'll give them a standard speaker set up with ceiling mounted down-firing speakers in two rows leading back from the screen. But how many and where to place them, I've still got to figure all that out.

I like the idea of a high-gain screen and I'm sure it would help the brightness level with my JVC RS4810 (240 hours on the lamp now). But I've got in-wall L/F/R speakers behind a woven acoustic transparent screen. Those suckers max out at around 1.0 gain, unfortunately.
cardoski likes this.
post #52 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
That scoreboard is utterly ridiculous ... check it out.

The game, however, will probably be unwatchable by the end of the first quarter.
yeah I saw some videos of the new arena...it's the Jerry's World of the NBA
post #53 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Love the Bucks uniform tonight.

post #54 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am sort of a hermit so my room only has one seat in it, it is also 100% covered in velvet so it is likely one of the darker rooms anywhere, a real trip to watch Basketball or whatever as you just see a 120in screen floating and nothing else. I even have a velvet snuggy for watching NBA in the winter so I don't see my body.lol
sounds nice...but you need more seats in there...
post #55 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Clippers are putting the league on notice, no mercy.
TitusTroy likes this.

post #56 of 127 Old 10-24-2019, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The Clippers are putting the league on notice, no mercy.
Clippers didn't look like they took Golden State seriously in the 1st half but stepped up in the 2nd half...Chase Center is a state of the art building although the court itself looks pretty much the same when you see it on TV...I do hate that new tradition where they ring that silly cable car bell before each game...
post #57 of 127 Old 10-25-2019, 08:18 AM

Well. That was a debacle. The Dubs are pretty much what I feared they'd be - a G-league team with 3 superstars, one of whom won't be playing this year and another one who still can't shoot. D-Russ is a good player but not a real all-star caliber one. They got rid of literally everybody in the rotation last year, save for Looney who is still as slow & ponderous as ever. Bell, Cook & McKinnie are all gone too. What the heck was Bob Myers doing all summer?

Chuck said it at halftime, what I noticed in the pre-season - they just don't have anybody who can score besides Curry & D-Russ. Going to be a long season. After what I saw last night, 2 things seem clear:
1) The Dubs are not making the playoffs. The west is just too strong.
2) They might as well hold Klay out all year. Even if he comes back after the All-Star break it's not going to matter. Get him fully healthy and try to add a few good players in free agency over the summer. Re-boot next year. This is going to be a lost season, such a shame while Steph is still in his prime.
post #58 of 127 Old 10-25-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Well. That was a debacle. The Dubs are pretty much what I feared they'd be - a G-league team with 3 superstars, one of whom won't be playing this year and another one who still can't shoot. D-Russ is a good player but not a real all-star caliber one. They got rid of literally everybody in the rotation last year, save for Looney who is still as slow & ponderous as ever. Bell, Cook & McKinnie are all gone too. What the heck was Bob Myers doing all summer?

Chuck said it at halftime, what I noticed in the pre-season - they just don't have anybody who can score besides Curry & D-Russ. Going to be a long season. After what I saw last night, 2 things seem clear:
2) They might as well hold Klay out all year. Even if he comes back after the All-Star break it's not going to matter. Get him fully healthy and try to add a few good players in free agency over the summer. Re-boot next year. This is going to be a lost season, such a shame while Steph is still in his prime.
Lots of assumptions after only one game. Seems pretty clear that with so many new (and newly promoted to key positions) players on the team, there may be some time period needed for them to gel?

If it all goes to hell, then so be it. We tank the rest of the season and hope to pull another Curry draft out of our @ss ...

As to Myers ... WTH did you expect? He had nearly zero cap to work with, as the management required him to stay under the TAX, so they can re-set for next year.

3 out of 5 not good enough for you (could easily have been 5-5, sans key injuries)? Had to end some time.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 10-25-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #59 of 127 Old 10-25-2019, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think the offense is fine...they scored 122 points against the Clippers...the issue is their defense is a shell of what it was and that's going to be their downfall...I've been hearing rumors that they might try and sign Giannis when he hits free agency next summer...this might be a down year but the window is not closed

Chase Center is the billion dollar playpen but it's not the same fanbase they had in Oakland playing at Oracle...there were a lot of empty seats on Thursday night...San Francisco doesn't seem like the same passionate NBA fan base they had in Oakland
post #60 of 127 Old 10-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Lots of assumptions after only one game. Seems pretty clear that with so many new (and newly promoted to key positions) players on the team, there may be some time period needed for them to gel?

If it all goes to hell, then so be it. We tank the rest of the season and hope to pull another Curry draft out of our @ss ...

As to Myers ... WTH did you expect? He had nearly zero cap to work with, as the management required him to stay under the TAX, so they can re-set for next year.

3 out of 5 not good enough for you (could easily have been 5-5, sans key injuries)? Had to end some time.
Well, I watched most of the pre-season games too, and none of these new guys impressed me. None of 'em can shoot a lick, and there are no pure scorers in the bunch. Glenn Robinson's boy is the only one with any potential.

I would have thought Myers would have had plenty to work with given KD's departure & his massive salary with him. I guess maybe they had to over-pay D-Russ to make the "trade" work. In any event, I would have thought they could have gotten some decent veteran in there. Hopefully one who could shoot a bit. Given how little talent they added to replace that which left, it almost looks like a tanking strategy. I've never been a Looney fan. He's serviceable at best, not an NBA starting-caliber center. And they gave up on 3 players who I thought they were supposed to be developing?

That's my complaint. Once you get past the Core 3 guys, one of whom is not going to play this year, there is a shocking lack of talent & experience on this team. It's not a matter of "gelling". These guys just can't play. Like I said above, Steph & D-Russ are each going to have to average 50 for them to make the playoffs.

But yeah, it's been a good run. This is just going to be a "rebuilding" year I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page