2019-2020 NBA Season thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 78Likes

post #61 of 155 Old 10-25-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Anyone else here an original San Diego Clippers fan, excited to have something to be truly excited about? Sure, the Lob City era was fun. But this feels like something special.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 155 Old 10-25-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Well, I watched most of the pre-season games too, and none of these new guys impressed me. None of 'em can shoot a lick, and there are no pure scorers in the bunch. Glenn Robinson's boy is the only one with any potential.

I would have thought Myers would have had plenty to work with given KD's departure & his massive salary with him. I guess maybe they had to over-pay D-Russ to make the "trade" work. In any event, I would have thought they could have gotten some decent veteran in there. Hopefully one who could shoot a bit. Given how little talent they added to replace that which left, it almost looks like a tanking strategy. I've never been a Looney fan. He's serviceable at best, not an NBA starting-caliber center. And they gave up on 3 players who I thought they were supposed to be developing?

That's my complaint. Once you get past the Core 3 guys, one of whom is not going to play this year, there is a shocking lack of talent & experience on this team. It's not a matter of "gelling". These guys just can't play. Like I said above, Steph & D-Russ are each going to have to average 50 for them to make the playoffs.

But yeah, it's been a good run. This is just going to be a "rebuilding" year I guess.
That's how it works when you have 4 guys at or near max salary on one team. The rest of the team is financially limited, and therefore talent limited.

Seems to me you are still under the illusion that losing KD somehow freed up a bunch of money. It didn't. Weird cap rules saw to that. Fortunately, the acquisition of DLo allowed us to, at least, keep some of our salary flexibility going forward. He is very likely going to be a trade piece after the season.

As to gelling, the Warriors have been a team where the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. No reason it can't happen again. Just give it some time to see if they can pull that off again.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #63 of 155 Old 10-25-2019, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5126 Post(s)
Liked: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Anyone else here an original San Diego Clippers fan, excited to have something to be truly excited about? Sure, the Lob City era was fun. But this feels like something special.
this team is legit...not only because of Kawhi and Paul George but that bench is unreal...the bench scored 60 points in their first game and something like 69 points in Game 2...and they have a lock down defense...only injuries can beat them
Zookster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 155 Old 10-25-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
this team is legit...not only because of Kawhi and Paul George but that bench is unreal...the bench scored 60 points in their first game and something like 69 points in Game 2...and they have a lock down defense...only injuries can beat them
Having such a great bench will go a long way toward mitigating any injury issues. Paul George isn't even playing yet.
post #65 of 155 Old 10-25-2019, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Having such a great bench will go a long way toward mitigating any injury issues. Paul George isn't even playing yet.
good to know you're not a Lakers fan
Zookster likes this.
post #66 of 155 Old 10-25-2019, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
good to know you're not a Lakers fan
I was a Lakers hater before I was a Clippers fan. Growing up in the 70s, it was traditional for San Diego sports fans to hate LA teams, especially when they were division rivals in whatever sport, like the Dodgers and Raiders for a time. But then of course we hated Donald Sterling for moving the Clippers after promises he wouldn't, and seeing them fail initially in LA (like the Chargers are now) was satisfying.

In the meantime, sadly, the news media in San Diego over the past couple of decades has taken to covering the Lakers like they're the home team. But since 2012, San Diego's RSN, Fox Sports San Diego, has been broadcasting almost all the Clippers games, while Lakers games are exclusive to cable TV customers (in LA and SD). Hopefully now that the Clippers' star player is the best player to ever play for San Diego State University, the media (and fans here) will switch allegiances (especially now that Sterling is long gone).

Last night, San Diego's most watched local news channel aired the following throwback report, effectively reminding San Diegans that the Clippers used to be its team and the real reason they left. Perhaps this marks the start of a sea change in coverage here of the Clippers.

TitusTroy likes this.
post #67 of 155 Old 10-25-2019, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2635 Post(s)
Liked: 2996
The Jazz stink, James looks good.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #68 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 218
IT is going to be a long season for the Pacers. They will probably finish under five hundred.
post #69 of 155 Old 10-26-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds75 View Post
IT is going to be a long season for the Pacers. They will probably finish under five hundred.
they need Oladipo to come back soon...even then they're not a championship caliber team but at least they'll make the playoffs
post #70 of 155 Old 10-27-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Howard looks really fit, playing with James may be what he needs.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

post #71 of 155 Old 10-28-2019, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Westbrook passed Magic Johnson the other night in terms of total number of triple doubles...I thought in OKC that Westbrook was forcing it a bit in terms of stat stuffing but early in the season he's a nightly triple double threat with Houston as well...I guess he's the new version of Oscar Robertson...he's only 42 triple doubles behind the Big O on the all time list and is pretty much guaranteed to break that record by a wide margin
post #72 of 155 Old 10-28-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Westbrook passed Magic Johnson the other night in terms of total number of triple doubles...I thought in OKC that Westbrook was forcing it a bit in terms of stat stuffing but early in the season he's a nightly triple double threat with Houston as well...I guess he's the new version of Oscar Robertson...he's only 42 triple doubles behind the Big O on the all time list and is pretty much guaranteed to break that record by a wide margin
Looks like Russ finally calmed down on shooting 3s. 7 in the first game and 4 total in the last 2 games. He's still hunting down those rebounds to stuff the stat sheet. Capela's rebounds are way down. Same thing was going on with Steven Adams in okc.

NBA seems to be wayyy more generous giving out assists even compared to 10 years ago. Players are taking a few dribbles prior to shooting and the passer is given an assist.
post #73 of 155 Old 10-30-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Just poking my nose in. I think ...

this has the potential to be a really, really interesting season for the fans

the Clippers aren't going to be as good as everyone thinks (George and Westbrook deserved each other in the sense that they're both the basketball version of All Hat/No Cattle)

the Warriors are going to be a little better than most think (those idiots can't keep playing like middling college players forever and WC-S has some real motivation and could fit well if he's coachable)

I agree with Klay that the Warriors have a 5 year or so window in which to win another championship or two

a few of the dummies there now could still be there if the above happens if they pay some attention to their minds and bodies - I don't see any Jordan Bells in the mix, and that's refreshing.

So now I'll check back on myself in 6 months and see how dumb I really am
TitusTroy likes this.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #74 of 155 Old 10-30-2019, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

the Clippers aren't going to be as good as everyone thinks (George and Westbrook deserved each other in the sense that they're both the basketball version of All Hat/No Cattle)

the Warriors are going to be a little better than most think (those idiots can't keep playing like middling college players forever and WC-S has some real motivation and could fit well if he's coachable)

I agree with Klay that the Warriors have a 5 year or so window in which to win another championship or two
I agree with you that reports of the Warriors demise have been greatly exaggerated...they're not going to win the title this season but they're going to be a tough out in the playoffs...but when Klay is back fully healthy next season they have all the core players back from the team that won the title prior to KD's arrival...plus don't underestimate their ability to get another superstar next season- I keep saying to watch out for Giannis Antetokounmpo signing with them as a free agent

I disagree with you about the Clippers...they are the clear favorites...yes they're going to lose a few games against bad teams this season out of pure boredom...a good example being the game against the Suns they lost the other night...but overall when they are locked in on defense they are one of the 2 best defensive teams in the league (the other being the Sixers)...
post #75 of 155 Old 10-30-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I keep saying to watch out for Giannis Antetokounmpo signing with them as a free agent

I disagree with you about the Clippers...they are the clear favorites...yes they're going to lose a few games against bad teams this season out of pure boredom...a good example being the game against the Suns they lost the other night...but overall when they are locked in on defense they are one of the 2 best defensive teams in the league (the other being the Sixers)...
I don't know if Giannis is technically in the cards, but the local Bay Area guys sure like to talk it up.

As to the Clippers - it's a long season More seriously, clear favorites are often just that because they fit some convenient narrative, in this case, defensive capability. Kawhi is Kawhi, and what a bench, but Paul George just isn't all that in my personal estimation (which I fully admit is peculiar.) But I'm definitely looking forward to watching them this year.

Looks like WC-S is probable tonight.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.

Last edited by fjames; 10-30-2019 at 05:41 PM.
post #76 of 155 Old 10-30-2019, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
As to the Clippers - it's a long season More seriously, clear favorites are often just that because they fit some convenient narrative, in this case, defensive capability. Kawhi is Kawhi, and what a bench, but Paul George just isn't all that in my personal estimation (which I fully admit is peculiar.) But I'm definitely looking forward to watching them this year
Paul George is easily a Top 10 player...I don't think he could lead a team to a title as the #1 option but that's why this Clippers team is a perfect fit...him and Kawhi on defense are going to be scary good...both long and athletic and can take turns guarding the other teams best player regardless of position...and like you said that Clippers bench is unreal- Lou Williams can give you 20-40 points on any given night
Zookster likes this.
post #77 of 155 Old 10-30-2019, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

first fight of the new season!...Joel Embiid and Karl-Anthony Towns throwing punches!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ected-fighting
post #78 of 155 Old 10-30-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just poking my nose in. I think ...

a few of the dummies there now could still be there if the above happens if they pay some attention to their minds and bodies - I don't see any Jordan Bells in the mix, and that's refreshing.

So now I'll check back on myself in 6 months and see how dumb I really am
Paul George is in the prime of his career. He was an MVP candidate last year when healthy. Playing with Kawhi will take his game to the next level.

The Warriors are done. Steph Curry rolled his ankle AND hurt his wrist tonight, and they were down 24 to the Suns. I suspect Steph will mysteriously miss 25-30 games at this point. Let Draymond learn how to score points and go for the #1 pick.

EDIT - No mystery. Broken hand.

Last edited by Rakesh.S; 10-30-2019 at 10:39 PM.
post #79 of 155 Old 10-30-2019, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
EDIT - No mystery. Broken hand.
I thought the Warriors were a 6-8 seed but now with Steph out with a broken hand they are not making the playoffs...would be hysterical if they end up getting a Top 3 lottery pick
post #80 of 155 Old 10-30-2019, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought the Warriors were a 6-8 seed but now with Steph out with a broken hand they are not making the playoffs...would be hysterical if they end up getting a Top 3 lottery pick
Seems like a foregone conclusion at this point. This is their Tim Duncan year. Reload and probably be right back to contending for titles next season once Klay is back.
archiguy likes this.
post #81 of 155 Old 10-30-2019, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Curry out? Time for the:

post #82 of 155 Old 10-31-2019, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
While I had hopes that the Dubs would sneak into the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed, that's over now. Poor Steph. The only chance they had was if he could manage to make it through the season without suffering a major injury.

I really feel sorry for Draymond now. He can't score, but that didn't really matter on a roster with scorers aplenty. He is the ultimate "glue guy" who facilitates the success of everybody else & does all the intangibles that contribute to winning. But there ain't another guy on that roster now who can play a lick. He's going to take such a beating this season.

Hate to say it, but they're going to tank. But not because they want to. Kerr & Ron Adams are going to do their best to coach these G-leaguers up, and they'll sneak out a few games here & there on hustle alone until Steph comes back, but they are now officially swimming with the NBA's bottom feeders. The old adage comes to mind:

One week, co*k o' the walk; next, a feather duster.
post #83 of 155 Old 10-31-2019, 07:35 AM

Interesting stat: In the last 6 games, the Warriors have lost Durant, Thompson, and Curry to serious injury.

I don't know if that's a record for one team losing so much HoF talent to injury in the shortest amount of time, but it probably is.
post #84 of 155 Old 10-31-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Interesting stat: In the last 6 games, the Warriors have lost Durant, Thompson, and Curry to serious injury.

I don't know if that's a record for one team losing so much HoF talent to injury in the shortest amount of time, but it probably is.

post #85 of 155 Old 10-31-2019, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dubs should've signed melo to a one year deal in the off-season. Seemed like a no-brainer considering their lack of firepower.
post #86 of 155 Old 10-31-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
Dubs should've signed melo to a one year deal in the off-season. Seemed like a no-brainer considering their lack of firepower.
Normally, I'd be against that move. But now...

Bob Myers is going to have to hit the bricks. He's actually going to have to scout college talent for the first time in years given that the Dubs are going to have a high draft pick or two next summer. They've got to make that draft count, and make sure they flip D-Russ for something good.
post #87 of 155 Old 10-31-2019, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Kawhi Leonard missed last night's game against Utah due to 'load management'...what??...4 games into the season and he's already taking games off to rest?...I know they have a back-to-back tonight but c'mon this is getting out of hand...
Tack and longhorn23 like this.
post #88 of 155 Old 10-31-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 6508
Quote:
Kawhi Leonard missed last night's game against Utah due to 'load management'...what??...4 games into the season and he's already taking games off to rest?...I know they have a back-to-back tonight but c'mon this is getting out of hand...
Shows the disdain the league has for the regular season. It's got to change at some point. Right now it's just seat sales and parking dollars. For as whacked as the NFL can be sometimes, the whole every game counts thing really works.
post #89 of 155 Old 10-31-2019, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Shows the disdain the league has for the regular season. It's got to change at some point. Right now it's just seat sales and parking dollars. For as whacked as the NFL can be sometimes, the whole every game counts thing really works.
it's not as much the entire league as the superstar players...you won't see any non-All Stars take nights off for 'load management'...Greg Popovich started this whole resting healthy players movement...I think Adam Silver and the league hates it because of the things you mentioned such as attendance and TV revenue
post #90 of 155 Old 11-04-2019, 08:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bucks killing the wolves tonight. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page