59Likes

post #1 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4984 Post(s)
Liked: 4465
2019-2020 NBA Season thread

it's that time of year!...the new NBA season is just 2 weeks away...I haven't been this excited for a new season- ever...with all the player movement over the summer there are so many legit title contenders- Clippers, Lakers, Warriors, Rockets, Sixers, Bucks, Celtics, Utah, Denver etc...and even on the non-contenders there are so many intriguing storylines- Zion and the Pelicans, Ja Morant in Memphis, Doncic/Porzingis pairing in Dallas, Durant/Kyrie in Brooklyn (will Durant play this season?) etc

I think the Sixers are going to make it out of the East...if Embiid stays healthy and Ben Simmons develops any sort of jump shot they will dominate the East...I'm still not a believer in these Milwaukee Bucks...I think the Celtics are going to be sneaky good...as far as the West: I love the Clippers...Kawhi/PG13 added to an already pretty good Clippers squad...their defense is going to be lights out...I hate the Lakers but AD is going to shine in LA playing alongside Lebron...the Warriors are moving into their gorgeous new arena...don't sleep on them, once Klay returns mid-season they have the same core squad that won the title before KD arrived...my sleeper team in the West is Utah...they improved a lot by getting Mike Conley and Bojan Bogdanovic

but I'm going with a Sixers vs Clippers NBA Finals

hopefully the NBA will show more games in 4K this year
cardoski and longhorn23 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

regular season starts up on October 22nd with 2 games on TNT: Pelicans at Toronto and Lakers at Clippers (Paul George will not play)

the rest of the national TV schedule for the first few days: October 23rd ESPN: Celtics at Sixers, Denver at Portland

October 24th TNT: Bucks at Rockets, Clippers at Warriors (Warriors open their new stadium, Chase Center)

October 25th ESPN: Dallas at New Orleans, Jazz at Lakers
longhorn23 likes this.
post #3 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked: 6896
Bring it on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Zion Williamson as electric as ever in NBA preseason debut

There are questions to how good Zion Williamson will be in the NBA...there should be no doubt to how exciting he’ll remain...the Pelicans’ No. 1 overall pick made his NBA preseason debut look like so many evenings at Cameron Indoor Stadium, with the former Duke superstar throwing down a pair of powerfully thrilling dunks in New Orleans’ 133-109 win in Atlanta Monday night...

https://nypost.com/2019/10/08/zion-w...eseason-debut/
post #5 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked: 2983
Lakers vs Bucks with Lakers winning.
Tack likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #6 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Lakers vs Bucks with Lakers winning.
noooo!...not the Lakers...anyone but the Lakers...
post #7 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
noooo!...not the Lakers...anyone but the Lakers...
lol, I'm a Celtics fan so this pick doesn't excite me.lol

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

post #8 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
lol, I'm a Celtics fan so this pick doesn't excite me.lol
I thought you were a Raptors fan based on last years NBA thread?
post #9 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought you were a Raptors fan based on last years NBA thread?
Lived in TO in the late 90s so was easy to cheer for them, grew up a Celtics fan.
TitusTroy likes this.

post #10 of 115 Old 10-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Well hello, boys
post #11 of 115 Old 10-09-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2233 Post(s)
Liked: 3145
Executive of the Year - Daryl Morey
oldcband and gooch02000 like this.
post #12 of 115 Old 10-12-2019, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Zion Williamson is showing me something in the pre-season...I thought he really needed to develop a jump shot to make it in the pros but so far his athleticism is so off the charts that he's like a baby-Shaq near the basket...like one of the announcers said- he can go over you, through you or around you...the guy is so strong and can contort his body in various ways to get the ball in the basket...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...on-home-opener
post #13 of 115 Old 10-12-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Zion Williamson is showing me something in the pre-season...I thought he really needed to develop a jump shot to make it in the pros but so far his athleticism is so off the charts that he's like a baby-Shaq near the basket...like one of the announcers said- he can go over you, through you or around you...the guy is so strong and can contort his body in various ways to get the ball in the basket...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...on-home-opener
reminds me of a modern Barkley more than Shaq.
gooch02000 and cardoski like this.
post #14 of 115 Old 10-12-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCecil View Post
reminds me of a modern Barkley more than Shaq.
I just meant he's physically dominating down low...he's no Shaq...my Zion comparison has always been a Shawn Kemp/Blake Griffin combo
post #15 of 115 Old 10-15-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

exactly 1 week away from Opening Night!!

every year NBA TV always has previews for all 32 teams...they literally show it in random order for every team pretty much 24 hours a day...each episode is 30 minutes long...they always do a good job with it...it's been airing for the past few weeks and worth checking out if you have NBA TV
longhorn23 likes this.
post #16 of 115 Old 10-15-2019, 05:04 PM

I've watched a bit of the Warriors pre-season. Clearly, the goal is going to be keeping Steph from wearing plumb out. Because until Klay comes back (and let's face it, he may have to miss the whole season), there is not one other dude on that roster who can hit the broad side of a barn. I suppose D-Russ can penetrate and shoot a bit, but he's never had the reputation as a marksman. Good grief - that was their big problem last year and it doesn't look like they did anything to address it. I don't know who any of these new guys are, but I know based on what I've seen so far ain't none of 'em can shoot worth a lick.

Couple that with losing defensive athleticism - that whole shebang is going to fall on Draymond's shoulders now - and it looks like 1) They can't score enough and 2) They won't be able to stop the other guys from scoring, especially in the west with all those newly stacked superstar-laden super-squads.

I still think Steph, Draymond & Kerr will somehow will them into the playoffs, but this is definitely going to be a "rebuilding year" for the Dubs.
post #17 of 115 Old 10-15-2019, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I still think Steph, Draymond & Kerr will somehow will them into the playoffs, but this is definitely going to be a "rebuilding year" for the Dubs.
I see them as a 5-7 seed out West...I see Klay coming back around February...I think the signing of Willie Cauley-Stein as a free agent was a really good move...don't sleep on the Warriors...Steph is going back to his pre-Durant days and that's scary for the rest of the league
post #18 of 115 Old 10-15-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I see them as a 5-7 seed out West...I see Klay coming back around February...I think the signing of Willie Cauley-Stein as a free agent was a really good move...don't sleep on the Warriors...Steph is going back to his pre-Durant days and that's scary for the rest of the league
Damn Troy -- you're more optimistic about the Dubs season than I am! Hope you're right. Ron Adams may be able to work his usual magic and turn them into a solid defensive unit, and Dray is a defensive savant. But in this league, if you can't score, you can't win. And I'm telling you, outside of Steph, this is a gang that can't shoot straight.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #19 of 115 Old 10-15-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Damn Troy -- you're more optimistic about the Dubs season than I am! Hope you're right. Ron Adams may be able to work his usual magic and turn them into a solid defensive unit, and Dray is a defensive savant. But in this league, if you can't score, you can't win. And I'm telling you, outside of Steph, this is a gang that can't shoot straight.
if they can make it to the post-season at full health they're going to be a tough out and the team that nobody wants to play...plus if Klay comes back healthy they can always flip D'Angelo Russell and get back a good player
post #20 of 115 Old 10-16-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
if they can make it to the post-season at full health they're going to be a tough out and the team that nobody wants to play...plus if Klay comes back healthy they can always flip D'Angelo Russell and get back a good player
Yeah, everybody knows D-Russ™ is trade bait for later, maybe to get a stretch-4 who can shoot. Good lord please, let them get somebody who can shoot. So it's necessary for him to have a great season. He shouldn't have any trouble getting all the shots he wants since he & Steph are each going to have to score about 50 ppg for them to win.
post #21 of 115 Old 10-17-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

GMs pick Clippers as champions, Giannis Antetokounmpo as MVP

In NBA.com's annual survey of the league's 30 general managers, Giannis Antetokounmpo was picked to repeat as the MVP, the Los Angeles Clippers were tabbed to win their first championship, and Zion Williamson was crowned the league's most athletic player...Zion also received 68 percent of the vote for which player from this year's draft class will be the best five years from now, with Ja Morant (18 percent), Atlanta Hawks forward Cam Reddish (seven percent), Darius Garland and Minnesota Timberwolves forward Jarrett Culver also receiving votes...Williamson's teammate, Nickiel Alexander-Walker, was also tapped as the biggest steal of the draft by 32 percent of respondents...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...etokounmpo-mvp
post #22 of 115 Old 10-18-2019, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson (knee) expected to miss weeks

New Orleans Pelicans rookie Zion Williamson has avoided a severe injury to his right knee but is expected to miss a period of weeks to start the regular season, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Friday...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ted-miss-weeks

I was looking forward to watching him on Opening Night...oh well...a guy his size with all that strength and power at the rim needs to be careful otherwise he's not going to last long in the league with all his high flying ferocious dunks
post #23 of 115 Old 10-18-2019, 02:29 PM

^^^ Well, that's a bummer. First I heard he had been injured.
post #24 of 115 Old 10-18-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

I am all in on these Clippers...there going to be so much fun to watch both on offense and defense...they actually gave the Warriors (at full strength) the most trouble in last year's playoffs...yes Toronto beat Golden State but that was after Klay and Durant went down...the Clippers took them to 6 games when they were at full strength and that was without Kawhi Leonard and Paul George

How the Clippers will unleash their new superstar duo
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-superstar-duo
Zookster likes this.
post #25 of 115 Old 10-18-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mavs have some nice young talent, the Unicorn looks good.
TitusTroy and longhorn23 like this.

post #26 of 115 Old 10-21-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Zion Williamson undergoes knee surgery, out 6-8 weeks

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...gery-6-8-weeks
post #27 of 115 Old 10-21-2019, 03:14 PM

Whoa! All the info we had was that Zion's boo-boo was just a mild strain and the Pelicans were just being "abundantly cautious" by holding him out for the first couple of weeks. Now... surgery!

However, as someone who has had surgery for a torn meniscus (it's a flap of cartilage that cushions where the lower and upper leg bones meet) thanks to a car accident and my knee banging hard against the dashboard, I can tell you it's done arthroscopically and really isn't that big a deal. You can do just fine with a partial meniscus as long as there's still enough of it left to still serve it's primary function. They took some hi-def pics in there with a camera-scope before and after the repair. You'd be amazed at how beat up your meniscus gets after a lifetime of just walking & running around. The edges are all frayed and fringed. The doc did some trimming and general cleaning up while he was in there. Back to smooth as a baby's butt when he finished.

Of course, that's all easy for me to say. I don't play professional basketball, either. Zion has a lot of weight pounding on those knees, especially returning to earth from the stratosphere after a jump, as he does.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #28 of 115 Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Opening Night is finally here!!

TNT kicks things off with Inside the NBA Kickoff Show from 5:30- 8:00 PM EST...then a doubleheader starting with the reigning champ Raptors against the Zion-less Pelicans...followed by the Paul George-less Clippers vs Lakers...each game missing a superstar player puts a damper on things but it's still Opening Night!!
archiguy and longhorn23 like this.
post #29 of 115 Old 10-22-2019, 07:13 AM

Just winced through a tie-in ad for the new Terminator movie with Ah-nold, Linda Hamilton, Kawhi & Paul George. Synergy, baby! I can safely say one thing: Kawhi & Paul have no shot at a second careers as actors once they hang up their sneakers.
post #30 of 115 Old 10-22-2019, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Michael Jordan says he doesn't believe Stephen Curry is a Hall of Famer, 'yet'

"He's still a great player," Jordan told NBC's "Today" on Monday after saying that the Golden State Warriors star wouldn't be included on his dream five-man pick-up team. "Not a Hall of Famer yet, though. He's not."...Jordan said he'd stick with Hakeem Olajuwon, Scottie Pippen, Magic Johnson and James Worthy as his teammates on his fantasy starting five...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...hall-famer-yet

I'm glad to see Jordan go with Olajuwon...Dream is my 2nd favorite player ever behind Larry Bird
longhorn23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page