Disney + shows and movies - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 179Likes

post #271 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7033 Post(s)
Liked: 8043
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
especially considering the 80/20 split between the studio and the VOD platforms (compared to 50/50 for theaters)...
I thought in the first few weeks of a theatrical release, the split between studio & theater was more like that 80/20, and as the weeks go on, the theater gets a bigger and bigger share of the proceeds...? In other words, the split is on a sliding scale which favors the studio the most during the first few weeks when a movie is "hot".

Is that not the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
IMO, unless it's a Marvel / or Star Wars film, box office is never a slam dunk .. 'Trolls' may have done exceptionally well in theaters, I don't know and will likely never know, and the streaming only within the middle of a Pandemic likely helped it (of course) .. as well, I don't know if the numbers so far have any overseas release data ..

I think, as Titus mentioned, the 50/50 traditional ticket split vs. the 80/20 split is a big deal .. as well as bypassing the traditional exclusive 'only in theaters' rule ..

This PPV certainly got AMC's attention ..

Once a wall has been broken, there are generally future repercussions, which, really, was the point I was trying to make .. of course, the societal shifts that may take place when this Pandemic runs it's course are a whole area of discussion in and of themselves ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #273 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
A lot of that success was due to novelty value. It was the first major Hollywood "tentpole" movie released straight to streaming, at a time when people (especially parents) were begging for new content. It's going to be a lot harder for movies that follow to hit the same numbers. When the novelty of watching a big new movie at home on release day wears off, most people will choose to wait a couple months for the price drop. They're paying theatrical rates right now without any of the benefits of the theatrical experience such as a huge screen, etc. (Most people don't even have surround sound at home.)

The COVID pandemic will certainly have major lasting impacts on the film industry even after a vaccine is developed and the crisis ends, but Hollywood is not ready to move to a purely streaming distribution model yet. Unless production budgets come way down, there's just not enough profit it in.

We may see the end of the $100 million+ tentpole movie as a mainstay of Hollywood output.
While I agree, I would wonder if a more hybrid model may end up in the offing .. there are those that pretty much always wait for disc or streaming release and avoid Theaters (even pre-pandemic) .. so, if a stream was available at $xx on day of theatrical release, would that bring in those that wait anyway and would it hurt Theater revenue .. ??

Die hard Movie fans are generally going to go to a Theater when able ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #274 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6368 Post(s)
Liked: 5861
Quote:
A lot of that success was due to novelty value. It was the first major Hollywood "tentpole" movie released straight to streaming, at a time when people (especially parents) were begging for new content. It's going to be a lot harder for movies that follow to hit the same numbers. When the novelty of watching a big new movie at home on release day wears off, most people will choose to wait a couple months for the price drop. They're paying theatrical rates right now without any of the benefits of the theatrical experience such as a huge screen, etc. (Most people don't even have surround sound at home.)
novelty plays a role but if you think about it for a family with 2+ kids it's a much better value to spend $20 total...so I think these animated types of movies will always do very well with the new theater-at-home model

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I thought in the first few weeks of a theatrical release, the split between studio & theater was more like that 80/20, and as the weeks go on, the theater gets a bigger and bigger share of the proceeds...? In other words, the split is on a sliding scale which favors the studio the most during the first few weeks when a movie is "hot".

Is that not the case?
you're right about the sliding scale and studios get a larger percentage in the beginning but at the end of a film’s release this averages out to roughly 50/50...the chart below is assuming the film earned $100 million at the box office in that country...so for the United States, the studio takes about 50% of that, or $50 million, plus another $60 million from television, $40 million from DVD, and $25 million from digital...

Last edited by TitusTroy; 05-14-2020 at 08:32 AM.
post #275 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 5306 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Is that not the case?
That is correct. The studio takes the lion's share of the income during the first couple weeks of release, which is when most people go to see a movie.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #276 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
novelty plays a role but if you think about it for a family with 2+ kids it's a much better value to spend $20 total...so I think these animated types of movies will always do very well with the new theater-at-home model
Waiting a couple months and only paying $5 for your family of four to watch the movie is an even better value.

I get what you're saying and you may be right about animated movies faring well, though I suspect that studios will probably push for cheaper animation anyway. Movies that previously might have had lavish budgets and big-name voice casts will be scaled back to TV quality animation and anonymous voice talent.

Big-budget action and sci-fi movies will have a harder time getting greenlit at all.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #277 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Did they charge $20 for a short-term limited viewing or it's $20 for unlimited viewings?
post #278 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Did they charge $20 for a short-term limited viewing or it's $20 for unlimited viewings?
I believe it was 48 hours

Uncle Willie

post #279 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
It's a standard streaming rental, typically 24-48 hours, just at a $20 price right now rather than the normal $5 rental price you'll see after 90 days.

Josh Z

post #280 of 410 Old 05-14-2020, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked: 2059
Quote:
That is correct. The studio takes the lion's share of the income during the first couple weeks of release, which is when most people go to see a movie.
That's why the snack bar is so expensive. That's where the theaters make their bread from.

Though if the theaters make more money the longer the movies are in theaters, who has the control over how long the runs are?
I know it would be a balancing act for the theater: number of butts in seat vs. more revenue per ticket.

"Don't blame me -- I voted for Kodos." Homer Simpson
post #281 of 410 Old 05-15-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
That's why the snack bar is so expensive. That's where the theaters make their bread from.

Though if the theaters make more money the longer the movies are in theaters, who has the control over how long the runs are?
I know it would be a balancing act for the theater: number of butts in seat vs. more revenue per ticket.
Yeah, I'm sure most all Theaters would wish for a run like "Titanic" .. ka ching .. I think "Avatar" stayed around a while, too ..

Uncle Willie

post #282 of 410 Old 05-15-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I believe the studio controls how long the theater is licensed to play their movie, though theaters can pull a movie early if it's not performing well.

Josh Z

post #283 of 410 Old 05-18-2020, 05:04 PM

OT: but related to previous few posts

‘Scoob!’ and ‘Capone’ Pull Strong VOD Numbers as Drive-Ins Lure Moviegoers

The big new movie of the week is VOD release 'Scoob!' (Warner Bros.)...it’s available solely on VOD platforms at the cost of $19.99 for 48 hour rental, $24.99 to download and own...all three VOD charts list the animated reboot at #11 for numbers of transactions (not revenue)

Warners had intended to release the Hanna Barbera feature in theaters, but moved it swiftly to PVOD where it clicked instantly, even faster than the April 10 PVOD launch for 'Trolls World Tour' (Universal), which has remained high on VOD charts; three weeks ago it had been rented more than 95 million times in the U.S...

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/vo...rs-1202231986/
post #284 of 410 Old 05-19-2020, 08:29 AM

If 'Trolls World Tour' has been rented in excess of 95 million times at $20 bucks a pop, I don't see how that cannot be considered a win for the studio .. even with an 80/20 VOD split ..

Uncle Willie

post #285 of 410 Old 05-19-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
If 'Trolls World Tour' has been rented in excess of 95 million times at $20 bucks a pop, I don't see how that cannot be considered a win for the studio .. even with an 80/20 VOD split ..
it's currently showing for me as $3.99 to rent and $7.99 to own so I don't think it's been $20 the entire time...either way it was a huge success
post #286 of 410 Old 05-19-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
it's currently showing for me as $3.99 to rent and $7.99 to own so I don't think it's been $20 the entire time...either way it was a huge success
sorry, I did not know the price had dropped ..

Uncle Willie

post #287 of 410 Old 05-19-2020, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 3369
Didn't see this posted in my scroll through.

Disney’s Kevin Mayer Exiting to Become CEO of TikTok

Disneyland President Rebecca Campbell Takes Over Direct-to-Consumer and International Division

Disney veteran Kevin Mayer is leaving the company to become CEO of TikTok, the short-form video platform.

Mayer also is being named chief operating officer of ByteDance, the Chinese internet giant that is TikTok’s parent company. He most recently was chairman of Disney’s Direct-to-Consumer and International segment since its founding in 2018. In that role, he oversaw the launches of Disney Plus and ESPN Plus and the integration of Hulu.

Succeeding Mayer is Disneyland Resort president Rebecca Campbell, a rising star at the media conglomerate, who was named chairman of Direct-to-Consumer and International. In addition, Walt Disney World Resort president Josh D’Amaro has been named chairman of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products, taking over that role from Bob Chapek, who was elevated to Disney CEO in February. Mayer had widely been considered a front-runner for the Disney top job after Bob Iger stepped aside.

Mayer, prior to his most recent role leading Disney’s DTCI organization, served as the company’s chief strategy officer and was instrumental in wrangling a number of strategic acquisitions, including the deals for 21st Century Fox and BAMTech.

“Kevin has had an extraordinary impact on our company over the years, most recently as head of our direct-to-consumer business,” Chapek said in a statement. “He has done a masterful job of overseeing and growing our portfolio of streaming services, while bringing together the creative and technological assets required to launch the hugely successful Disney Plus globally.”

Campbell, who will now oversee Disney Plus and the rest of the company’s streaming businesses, has been with the company for 23 years. Under her purview in her new position are Disney Plus, ESPN Plus, Hulu and Hotstar, as well as Disney’s international channels, Fox Networks International and Star India. Prior to leading Disneyland, Campbell served as president its Disney’s businesses in Europe, the Middle East and Africa and was responsible for launching Disney Plus in the region. Chapek called Campbell “an exceptionally talented and dedicated leader with a wealth of experience in media, operations and international businesses.”

At TikTok and ByteDance, Mayer will report directly to ByteDance founder/CEO Yiming Zhang. “Kevin’s wealth of experience building successful global businesses makes him an outstanding fit for our mission of inspiring creativity for users globally,” Yiming said in a statement. “As one of the world’s most accomplished entertainment executives, Kevin is incredibly well placed to take ByteDance’s portfolio of products to the next level.”

With Mayer’s jump to ByteDance, current TikTok president Alex Zhu will move into a new role as ByteDance VP of product and strategy, overseeing strategy and product design. As COO of ByteDance, Mayer will oversee TikTok as well as music, gaming, Helo (a social-media platform in India) and the company’s emerging businesses.

In a statement provided by TikTok, Mayer said, “I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to join the amazing team at ByteDance. Like everyone else, I’ve been impressed watching the company build something incredibly rare in TikTok — a creative, positive online global community — and I’m excited to help lead the next phase of ByteDance’s journey as the company continues to expand its breadth of products across every region of the world.”

Mayer will remain based in Los Angeles, where TikTok recently opened new offices in Culver City. He will officially join the company June 1.

As chief exec of TikTok, Mayer will face multiple concerns that have arisen as the app boomed in popularity about the platform’s security and privacy. Those include its ties to China’s government, as well as allegations that TikTok continues to violate a U.S. children’s privacy law. In March, TikTok hired cybersecurity veteran Roland Cloutier as chief information security officer.

Mayer first joined Disney in 1993 let strategy and business development for all of Disney’s Interactive/Internet and TV businesses worldwide. Later, he became executive VP of the internet group, responsible for the operations, business plans, creative direction and distribution of Disney’s web sites, including ESPN.com and ABCNews.com.

In 2000, he left Disney to become CEO of Clear Channel Interactive and two years after that moved to LEK Consulting, where he served as partner and head of the global media and entertainment practice. He rejoined Disney in 2005 as EVP of corporate strategy.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...ok-1234609918/

post #288 of 410 Old 05-21-2020, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
It really is terrible. I only like the early seasons, and the cropping makes them unwatchable.
After months in limbo, Disney+ officially announced that The Simpsons would finally be available to stream in its original 4:3 aspect ratio starting May 28th...

https://ew.com/tv/the-simpsons-disne...-aspect-ratio/
Dmon4u and NewAger like this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 05-21-2020 at 02:09 PM.
post #289 of 410 Old 05-23-2020, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
After months in limbo, Disney+ officially announced that The Simpsons would finally be available to stream in its original 4:3 aspect ratio starting May 28th...

https://ew.com/tv/the-simpsons-disne...-aspect-ratio/
Nice. It perplexes me that many people apparently prefer the cropping or are not at all bothered by it.
post #290 of 410 Old 05-23-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
Nice. It perplexes me that many people apparently prefer the cropping or are not at all bothered by it.
I guess the people that aren't bothered by it don't know about it...everyone should be bothered by it because it literally cut out important parts of the image...
post #291 of 410 Old 05-24-2020, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Stumbled across all three (3) seasons of Marvel's THE RUNAWAYS on Disney+ and they have it in Dolby Vision / HDR / 5.1 Audio. All three (3) seasons are on HULU, but I am pretty sure it is HD and Stereo audio on that platform. Go figure.

Did a quick check on AGENT CARTER series, but sadly they haven't given Hayley Atwell as Agent Carter the Dolby Vision treatment. Such a shame!!

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #292 of 410 Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 AM

Had a buddy sign up for Disney+ and he offered me his login info since he only has one TV and he paid for a year subscription .. I had taken the 7 day free trial previously and canceled at the end since nothing to watch was left after the 7 days ..

watched :: 'Maleficent: Mistress of Evil' last night .. great PQ, mediocre movie .. browsed around, found nothing else of interest for me ..

Uncle Willie

post #293 of 410 Old 05-26-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
watched :: 'Maleficent: Mistress of Evil' last night .. great PQ, mediocre movie .. browsed around, found nothing else of interest for me ..
watch the entire Clone Wars series if you're a SW fan
post #294 of 410 Old 05-29-2020, 02:32 PM

Off topic but funny

Star Wars Stormtroopers secure Disney Springs with new Social Distancing Measures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ture=emb_title

post #295 of 410 Old 06-01-2020, 08:05 AM

Disney+ announces everything being added to the platform in June, including Artemis Fowl

Disney+ has announced everything that is coming to the streaming service in the month of June, headed by a movie that is premiering exclusively on the platform after being originally intended for cinemas.

The Artemis Fowl movie is based on the popular series of books, and stars Frozen's Josh Gad and the legendary Judi Dench. It was meant to come out on the big screen but then the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic caused Disney to change tactics.

The House of Mouse has said that it will consider releasing other films in the same way, which we guess will depends on how well Artemis Fowl does.

Speaking about Frozen, the six-part documentary series Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2 follows the production of the hugely-popular animated sequel. That's coming out on June 26, the same day as fan-favourite Disney Channel series ANT Farm.

Other big movies include Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.

Here is the Disney+ June line-up in full:

June 5: Finding Atlantis, Genius by Stephen Hawking (season 1), Hostile Planet, Japan: Between Earth and Sky, Lost City of Machu Picchu, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.

June 12: Artemis Fowl, Primal Survivor (seasons 1-2), Mighty Med (seasons 1-4), The Sandlot: Heading Home.

June 19: Big Sur: Wild California, Egypt's Treasure Guardians, Toy Story of Terror!, Toy Story That Time Forgot, Unlikely Animal Friends.

June 26: ANT Farm (season 1-3), Into the Unknown: Making Disney Frozen 2.

June will also see new episodes of Be Our Chef, Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian, Disney Family Sundays, Disney Insider, It's a Dog's Life with Bill Farmer, One Day at Disney, Marvel's Hero Project and Pixar In Real Life.

Still waiting on Emperor's New Groove, Fillmore! (from The Walking Dead's Scott M Gimple) and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, but this isn't a bad line-up.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...130900859.html

post #296 of 410 Old 06-01-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Disney+ announces everything being added to the platform in June, including Artemis Fowl

Disney+ has announced everything that is coming to the streaming service in the month of June, headed by a movie that is premiering exclusively on the platform after being originally intended for cinemas.

The Artemis Fowl movie is based on the popular series of books, and stars Frozen's Josh Gad and the legendary Judi Dench. It was meant to come out on the big screen but then the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic caused Disney to change tactics.

The House of Mouse has said that it will consider releasing other films in the same way, which we guess will depends on how well Artemis Fowl does.

Speaking about Frozen, the six-part documentary series Into the Unknown: Making Frozen 2 follows the production of the hugely-popular animated sequel. That's coming out on June 26, the same day as fan-favourite Disney Channel series ANT Farm.

Other big movies include Maleficent: Mistress of Evil and Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.

Here is the Disney+ June line-up in full:

June 5: Finding Atlantis, Genius by Stephen Hawking (season 1), Hostile Planet, Japan: Between Earth and Sky, Lost City of Machu Picchu, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.

June 12: Artemis Fowl, Primal Survivor (seasons 1-2), Mighty Med (seasons 1-4), The Sandlot: Heading Home.

June 19: Big Sur: Wild California, Egypt's Treasure Guardians, Toy Story of Terror!, Toy Story That Time Forgot, Unlikely Animal Friends.

June 26: ANT Farm (season 1-3), Into the Unknown: Making Disney Frozen 2.

June will also see new episodes of Be Our Chef, Disney Gallery: The Mandalorian, Disney Family Sundays, Disney Insider, It's a Dog's Life with Bill Farmer, One Day at Disney, Marvel's Hero Project and Pixar In Real Life.

Still waiting on Emperor's New Groove, Fillmore! (from The Walking Dead's Scott M Gimple) and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, but this isn't a bad line-up.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...130900859.html
I watched 'Maleficent: Mistress of Evil' last week ..
WilliamR likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #297 of 410 Old 06-01-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I watched 'Maleficent: Mistress of Evil' last week ..
Did you like that one? I saw the first one and liked it, but haven't had a chance to watch this one.

post #298 of 410 Old 06-01-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Did you like that one? I saw the first one and liked it, but haven't had a chance to watch this one.
These type movies are not generally my thing .. I watched the first one when it first came out and thought it was OK, I watched this one because there is not much on D+ that I have a current interest in .. so, you can't really use my opinion, which was :: the PQ was great, the movie was mediocre at best ..
WilliamR likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #299 of 410 Old 06-01-2020, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
I think you may have misinterpreted the split. It is my understanding that a typical movie theater split would be 50/50 for a certain number of weeks between studio and movie chain. The 80/20 split for TROLLS WORLD TOUR was 80% to Universal and 20% to whatever play store it was purchased from (Google, Amazon, Roku, etc.). The reporting I read stated that TROLLS WORLD TOUR made more profit for Universal in 3 weeks on demand than the original TROLLS movie did in 5 months in the theater. That is why AMC Theaters was so upset when Universal hinted that they may visit this model again even after the lock down is over.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
post #300 of 410 Old 06-01-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade005 View Post
I think you may have misinterpreted the split. It is my understanding that a typical movie theater split would be 50/50 for a certain number of weeks between studio and movie chain. The 80/20 split for TROLLS WORLD TOUR was 80% to Universal and 20% to whatever play store it was purchased from (Google, Amazon, Roku, etc.). The reporting I read stated that TROLLS WORLD TOUR made more profit for Universal in 3 weeks on demand than the original TROLLS movie did in 5 months in the theater. That is why AMC Theaters was so upset when Universal hinted that they may visit this model again even after the lock down is over.
I understand it fully ..

Uncle Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page