Disney + shows and movies - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #91 of 230 Old 11-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
I’ve noticed that the Disney+ app will remember where you were if you stop in the middle of the program but it doesn’t have an option to start over.
I have seen the same thing via a Roku TV. If you back out of the video and stay on the detail screen it will show a RESUME button and RESTART button. Leave the detail screen or the app all together and the detail screen will only show a PLAY button. Good thing is that this PLAY button is actually the RESUME button. Same thing is happening with the ADD TO WATCHLIST + button. Select it and it will change to a CHECK MARK. Leave the detail screen or access later from your WATCHLIST and the CHECK MARK is back to a + sign. Select the + sign again and you have now removed it from your WATCHLIST.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 230 Old 11-13-2019, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
I heard a Fresh Air review and the reviewer didn't even get to watch The Mandalorian but liked the new Lady and the Tramp.

But they're going to need at least 3-4 real good original series, due to get a second season a year from now, for people to continue with their subscriptions for a second year.
post #93 of 230 Old 11-13-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6733 Post(s)
Liked: 6581
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I heard a Fresh Air review and the reviewer didn't even get to watch The Mandalorian but liked the new Lady and the Tramp.

But they're going to need at least 3-4 real good original series, due to get a second season a year from now, for people to continue with their subscriptions for a second year.

Mandalorian just started production for season 2 this week. I’m guessing we’ll have more season 1 getting to season 2 shows by this time next year. This is a long game so no need to rush things (IMO).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 230 Old 11-13-2019, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The vast majority will likely keep their subscription even during lengthy periods of time of not watching a thing on it. Cheap and convenient enough to just let it ride, like a Prime membership.
Ph8te likes this.
post #95 of 230 Old 11-13-2019, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5351 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
The vast majority will likely keep their subscription even during lengthy periods of time of not watching a thing on it. Cheap and convenient enough to just let it ride, like a Prime membership.
I think a lot of people are starting to reach their limits and are not going to be subscribing to all these streaming services at the same time anymore...when it was just Netflix, Amazon Video and maybe Hulu people were fine with paying for all 3 every month...but now things are becoming more fragmented and people are going to be choosing one over the other or using Netflix 1 month while cancelling Disney+...then the following month signing back up to Disney and Amazon while removing Netflix etc...it all depends on the content available for that particular platform...that new HBO Max service is also slated to debut in May 2020 which adds another service
post #96 of 230 Old 11-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I think a lot of people are starting to reach their limits and are not going to be subscribing to all these streaming services at the same time anymore...when it was just Netflix, Amazon Video and maybe Hulu people were fine with paying for all 3 every month...but now things are becoming more fragmented and people are going to be choosing one over the other or using Netflix 1 month while cancelling Disney+...then the following month signing back up to Disney and Amazon while removing Netflix etc...it all depends on the content available for that particular platform...that new HBO Max service is also slated to debut in May 2020 which adds another service
Good point. I think Netflix is bit of a different story with its current pricing and not-so-stellar content offering, and it seems that they will eventually have to charge even more to maintain. I, for one, am dropping Netflix after watching The Witcher and will stick to Hulu Live with HBO and Disney+. Hulu arguably has the content to become a staple in people’s budgets, while Disney+ is cheap enough to just hold onto for the occasional fix.

Perhaps there's an arbitrary number that the average human psyche is willing to pay each month for all of this stuff. Maybe the average consumer just wants to keep it under $100 a month or thereabouts.
Legairre and TitusTroy like this.
post #97 of 230 Old 11-13-2019, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5351 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
I'm interested in checking out 'Free Solo' about the guy attempting to free climb (no rope or harness) El Capitan in Yosemite National Park...it got excellent reviews and is in 4K HDR10 on Disney+
longhorn23 likes this.
post #98 of 230 Old 11-13-2019, 11:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I think ESPN showed those bare climbers, not obviously in 4K HDR but featured a story on them.

But the PQ should be nice.
post #99 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 35
...or will a lot of people get their fill of SW, Pixar and Avengers and then unsubscribe..

Debating this myself. My only 4k source at the moment is streaming so I jumped on the free trial. The PQ is an improvement so far. However, I can see this outliving it's usefullness for me, at least until more original material is available so I can binge watch the Mandalorian and Wanda Vision etc. Not being a family man - no children so a lot of the material is just not of interest. How long will I stick with it? or How long will it take me to watch every Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar theatrical release at least once? 5 days left

Last edited by Artzilla; 11-14-2019 at 09:54 AM.
post #100 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3081 Post(s)
Liked: 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
...or will a lot of people get their fill of SW, Pixar and Avengers and then unsubscribe..

Debating this myself. My only 4k source at the moment is streaming so I jumped on the free trial. The PQ is an improvement so far. However, I can see this outliving it's usefullness for me, at least until more original material is available so I can binge watch the Mandalorian and Wanda Vision etc. Not being a family man - no children so a lot of the material is just not of interest. How long will I stick with it? or How long will it take me to watch every Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar theatrical release at least once? 5 days left
That's pretty much where I'm at .. I've seen every Marvel / SW Movie (multiple watches on the SW material), have no interest in much of anything except the new SW stuff ..

But, at 75, I'm not the demographic they are going after ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #101 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
That's pretty much where I'm at .. I've seen every Marvel / SW Movie (multiple watches on the SW material), have no interest in much of anything except the new SW stuff ..

But, at 75, I'm not the demographic they are going after ..
You are 100% correct. You have a lead on me but I'm not the demo they are after either.
post #102 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
I'm interested in checking out 'Free Solo' about the guy attempting to free climb (no rope or harness) El Capitan in Yosemite National Park...it got excellent reviews and is in 4K HDR10 on Disney+
Hope you'll also enjoy this one. Gorgeous PQ for your 4k display; don't recall much on the audio part.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #103 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post

That's the thing if they ramp up production of original content, they may not be able to charge just $7 a month.

Apple may be spending more on original content than Disney does for Disney +. Netflix and Amazon are also spending a lot of money.

Sounds like The Mandalorian is a real good show but they're going to need a half dozen such shows by year two. That might mean spending real money on writers, producers, actors and it also might mean producing content which isn't necessarily derived from Disney-owned properties.

I'd be far more interested in a bundle of Disney + and Hulu, provided that they continue to ramp up spending on original shows for Hulu, if they're not going to have non-Disney-related original shows on Disney+ itself. I have no interest in paying for ESPN+, at least what they have on it so far.

If they put on MNF, NBA and MLB games, all the sports that ESPN has a right to broadcast, in UHD HDR, then ESPN+ would be something. But as it is, it's worthless.
post #104 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6453 Post(s)
Liked: 7161
Quote:
The National Geographic Channel, which underwrote the production, telecast it commercial free a couple of months ago. That's when/where I saw it. It was really an incredible achievement. Alex Honnold may just be the world's greatest athlete. He's certainly the most fearless. I think he basically retired afterward, which means he cheated the fate which has befallen so many other free-climbers. To say that sport is dangerous is a dangerous understatement.

Oh yeah -- it will probably look amazing in UHD.
TitusTroy likes this.
post #105 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Just in case anyone cares, I found the Talespin 4 part pilot. Its listed as episodes in the thirties, entitled Plunder & Lighting 1 to 4. They did the same thing with Ducktales (the original).
post #106 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
"Disney Plus warns of ‘outdated cultural depictions’ in some films. That’s not enough, experts say."

Quote:
Disney frequently has come under fire for characters that promote racist stereotypes. The crows in “Dumbo,” released in 1941, encapsulate stereotypes of African Americans. One of the birds was named “Jim Crow.” In 1967’s “The Jungle Book,” critics say the monkeys portray black people as foolish and criminal. The churlish hyenas in “The Lion King,” released in 1994, could represent racial minorities who live on the wrong side of the tracks. The list of movies with elements criticized as racist continues.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...h-experts-say/

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #107 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Some experts might say... err um.. I say... people look for and create problems where there are none and there are no amount of warnings, apologies or catering to that will ever be good enough for these people. I know people love getting out of bed every morning anticipating the thing they can get offended over and rally against. Instead of just chuckling and saying, oh damn, that wouldn't fly today.

Apparently, history books are next to be abolished due to their possible trigger events.
post #108 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked: 2364
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post
Some experts might say... err um.. I say... people look for and create problems where there are none and there are no amount of warnings, apologies or catering to that will ever be good enough for these people. I know people love getting out of bed every morning anticipating the thing they can get offended over and rally against. Instead of just chuckling and saying, oh damn, that wouldn't fly today.

Apparently, history books are next to be abolished due to their possible trigger events.
"Fact-Checking the Age-Old Rumors of Walt Disney’s Dark Side"

Quote:
‘He didn’t trust women or cats,’ Ward Kimball observed.”
https://www.vulture.com/2013/12/walt...ozen-head.html

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #109 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4886 Post(s)
Liked: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiegr View Post

And even if some stuff actually crosses a line, leave it there for teaching moments and a gauge to measure progress. You can't change the past, but you can learn from it. "Experts", sure.
Legairre, Steve P. and Therberg like this.
post #110 of 230 Old 11-14-2019, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
...you can't change the past, but you can learn from it...
WHAT? So, Doc Emmett Brown was wrong? Damn!

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #111 of 230 Old 11-15-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post
Anyone else having issues with fast forward or rewind on Apple TV 4k? On one of mine, it will only go 30 sec either way, and the other it didn't even let me. This was while watching A New Hope,
No one else is having an issue with FF and rewind? No issues on any other app i.e Netflix, Hulu etc, but for some reason I can't FF and rewind on the Disney app. This is with a Harmony Elite remote and Apple TV 4k.
Any advice would be appreciated
post #112 of 230 Old 11-15-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
And even if some stuff actually crosses a line, leave it there for teaching moments and a gauge to measure progress. You can't change the past, but you can learn from it. "Experts", sure.
+1
post #113 of 230 Old 11-15-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 252
... I'm surprised these streaming services such as DIS+ , Hulu, CBS All Access, etc all don't offer any current "network" UHDR content to gain/keep/justify their prices ...
DIS+ could offer , for example, current popular ABC shows ( Goldbergs, The Rookie, Whatever) in HDR ..
Hulu likewise should offer at least some select current network offerings in HDR ..
That alone may gain/keep many subscribers ...
I understand that CBS All access doesn't even offer the new Star Trek Discovery series in 4K or even 1080p HDR, let alone popular CBS shows ..
post #114 of 230 Old 11-15-2019, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 146
https://www.engadget.com/amp/2019/11...-aspect-ratio/

" Disney+ will fix its 'Simpsons' widescreen problem in 2020
Viewers will be able to choose between 4x3 or cropped widescreen versions. "
Richard Lawler, Engadget
TitusTroy and NewAger like this.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #115 of 230 Old 11-16-2019, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
No one else is having an issue with FF and rewind? No issues on any other app i.e Netflix, Hulu etc, but for some reason I can't FF and rewind on the Disney app. This is with a Harmony Elite remote and Apple TV 4k.
I am able to fastforward on LG TV and XBOX apps.

However, I am seeing an issue in that the app does not always remember where I left off and the movie starts over.

At no point have I seen the "Play" button say "Resume" like other streaming apps.
post #116 of 230 Old 11-16-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Whoever decided to combine my 4K content thread with this one may want to rethink their moderating strategy. If there is a specific topic (like 4K or Atmos), you'd want to keep that in its own thread so it does not get mixed in with a gazillion other content comments.

Having said that...

Has anyone found out anything more about when Atmos will be working on the LG TV and XBOX apps?

Last edited by fganter; 11-16-2019 at 07:12 AM.
post #117 of 230 Old 11-16-2019, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
i have no issues at all with FF and RW on my Elite with the apple tv. You are using the buttons left and right of the center "ok" button, correct?
post #118 of 230 Old 11-16-2019, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When is Star Wars: The Last Jedi coming to Disney Plus?

https://netflixlife.com/2019/11/15/s...-release-date/

see you

Sony 77A9G, Pioneer Elite SC-LX704, Focal Dome 7.1, Apple TV 4K
post #119 of 230 Old 11-16-2019, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivierqc View Post
When is Star Wars: The Last Jedi coming to Disney Plus?

https://netflixlife.com/2019/11/15/s...-release-date/

see you
Pretty poor journalism. Why are they "assuming"? You can find it listed on Disney+ right now with a release date of Dec 26.
Ph8te likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #120 of 230 Old 11-17-2019, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello everyone,

Disney Plus: How to find out when missing Marvel, Star Wars movies are coming

Rounding out the list of recent films you might have expected to see on Disney Plus, but will need to wait for because of licensing contracts with other streaming services

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/disney-p...es-are-coming/

See you

Sony 77A9G, Pioneer Elite SC-LX704, Focal Dome 7.1, Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page