Disney + shows and movies - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 122Likes

post #211 of 217 Old 11-28-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Sony has saved physical media for at least the next 5-7 years with their recent announcement that the PS5 would include a 4K Blu-ray player...that is HUGE news for fans of physical media...we will definitely see an uptick in sales of discs
We will see how next gen shapes up. Microsoft is focused on game pass and digital services. Really feels like a slow, indirect push to phase out physical media. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sony do the same.

A game-pass style movie service could be a worthy replacement for physical media. Instead of forcing us to stream heavily compressed video/audio, allow us to download the full disc equivalent. We can watch as long as we're subscribed to the service. Shrug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 217 Old 11-28-2019, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I used to be obsessed with collecting Blu-ray discs and very snobbish about audio/video. I don't know how it happened exactly, but I have since become a total moron and fully embraced streaming. I suppose the quality offered is simply good enough when it's the content itself that matters most.
Tack and Superman2 like this.
post #213 of 217 Old 11-28-2019, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post
We will see how next gen shapes up. Microsoft is focused on game pass and digital services. Really feels like a slow, indirect push to phase out physical media. Wouldn't be surprised to see Sony do the same.

A game-pass style movie service could be a worthy replacement for physical media. Instead of forcing us to stream heavily compressed video/audio, allow us to download the full disc equivalent. We can watch as long as we're subscribed to the service. Shrug.
even if Sony creates a Game Pass type of service it doesn't change the fact that they have put a UHD/4k Blu-ray player on the PlayStation 5...they could have easily just put a standard 1080p Blu-ray player or left it out altogether...the fact that they did is HUGE...yes huge is in capital letters...it shows they are committed to 4K physical media
longhorn23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 217 Old 11-28-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
I used to be obsessed with collecting Blu-ray discs and very snobbish about audio/video. I don't know how it happened exactly, but I have since become a total moron and fully embraced streaming. I suppose the quality offered is simply good enough when it's the content itself that matters most.
For me it's age: the change in perspective that makes me want to divest rather than collect, and the reduction in visual acuity that makes the benefits of higher resolution and HDR less beneficial. DV, for example, often looks worse to me than HDR10 because I have to keep the brightness on my display dialled down.

I wanted to see Alita: Battle Angel, and once I would have held out for the highest-quality optical disc in order to enjoy the film's state-of-the-art visual effects. But I recently switched to an Apple TV 4k, and Apple rents movies in UHD/DV/Atmos. To me, the AV quality was so good that I may stop buying discs completely (aside perhaps from collectible editions of all-time classics).
NewAger likes this.
post #215 of 217 Old 11-28-2019, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
I wanted to see Alita: Battle Angel, and once I would have held out for the highest-quality optical disc in order to enjoy the film's state-of-the-art visual effects. But I recently switched to an Apple TV 4k, and Apple rents movies in UHD/DV/Atmos. To me, the AV quality was so good that I may stop buying discs completely (aside perhaps from collectible editions of all-time classics).
one thing streaming will never offer- lossless audio...so if you care about that then the only way to get it is through physical media/UHD disc- DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos etc
post #216 of 217 Old 11-29-2019, 01:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakesh.S View Post

This service all ready exists. It's called kaleidoscope, unfortunately you need to be independently wealthy to afford it.
Rakesh.S likes this.

"Smart enough to know better, to old to care" ------ Dedicated Bat Cave Home Theater, JVC RS49U/Mitsubishi HC7900DW Projector, 110" 16:9 Jamestown screen with variable power masking for CIW 2.50:1 to 16:9, Marantz 7009 with 7.1.4 Atmos with Ohm mains,3 DIY Subs (2 15" (1 ported, 1 sealed and a 12" 4th order bandpass), 1 DIY butt kicker, Custom Built HTPC, 18TB DroboFS NAS
post #217 of 217 Old 12-10-2019, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3035 Post(s)
Liked: 3976
As a Sony PS owner since it first came out many years ago, Sony could care less about 4K disks .. it's game file size that drives this move to include a 4K drive in the PS 5 .. unless they want to go back to selling games with multi-disks ..
Legairre likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page