AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Disney + shows and movies (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/3101232-disney-shows-movies.html)

wco81 11-09-2019 03:59 PM

Disney + shows and movies

So this service is about to launch.

Considered a favorite to have some lasting power vs. Netflix and other streaming services because of its library.

I'm more interested in the original content, which is really how these streaming services define themselves. After all, how many times will people watch Avenger, Pixar and Star Wars movies?

ESPN SportsCenter was promoting The Mandalorian. Why? Disney of course but they based it on the fact that Gina Carano, one of the cast members, is a former UFC fighter.:rolleyes:

In any event, the Star Wars nerds seem to be excited based on trailers. But these Star Wars spinoff movies have been somewhat disappointing I think. Still, some people seem to be anticipating this more than upcoming Star Wars movies.

OK looking at the list of original content, looks like they'll do some other Star Wars and MCU shows of some kind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_by_Disney%2B

Unless you're really fans of these properties, it seems like these shows could dilute the brands, probably make the general viewer sick of Star Wars and Marvel.

It would be far more interesting to see some new content based on the original Disney characters -- Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc. Why don't they make more movies out of those?

Anyways it looks like at launch, most of the talk will be about The Mandalorian.

NewAger 11-09-2019 05:57 PM

The Star Wars and Marvel brands are already greatly diluted in the minds of many adults, but not to the kids who are this service's target audience.

I think Disney is handling their streaming strategy well thus far. At this rate, Hulu will eventually be the great mainstay for most.

TitusTroy 11-09-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 58797934)
ESPN SportsCenter was promoting The Mandalorian. Why? Disney of course but they based it on the fact that Gina Carano, one of the cast members, is a former UFC fighter.:rolleyes:

OK looking at the list of original content, looks like they'll do some other Star Wars and MCU shows of some kind.

Unless you're really fans of these properties, it seems like these shows could dilute the brands, probably make the general viewer sick of Star Wars and Marvel.

It would be far more interesting to see some new content based on the original Disney characters -- Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc. Why don't they make more movies out of those?

ESPN is heavily promoting Disney+ because ESPN is owned by Disney...I actually think the upcoming Disney+ spinoff shows will help the brand...I've become sick of the MCU and the new SW trilogy has been underwhelming (moreso Last Jedi) but Mandalorian has been getting amazing reviews and some are calling it the best SW property since the original series...in the first year or so Disney will be rightfully promoting their own massive library of Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel movies...beyond that who knows but they will be fine in the short term

wco81 11-09-2019 08:21 PM

I read that Disney has been doing trials in the Netherlands or somewhere in Europe and the top item for views was Infinity Wars.

But the second most viewed was Agents of SHIELD.

dtv757 11-10-2019 04:45 AM

Just a FYI , the 1st year of Disney + is free if u have vzw "unlimited " or are a new fios Custoner.

Press release:
https://www.verizon.com/about/news/v...plus-12-months

FAQ page:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...faqs/#eligible

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Josh Z 11-10-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 58797934)

Disney+ does have a new, exclusive Donald Duck series called The Legend of the Three Caballeros (based on the 1944 Three Caballeros film).

Mickey Mouse is currently featured in several Disney Channel shows (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Mickey and the Roadster Racers, Mickey's Mixed-Up Adventures) that will continue on that network. These shows will stream with ads on DisneyNOW or ad-free on Disney+.

I take your point, but from Disney's perspective, these characters are still in active use.

wco81 11-10-2019 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 58801454)
Disney+ does have a new, exclusive Donald Duck series called The Legend of the Three Caballeros (based on the 1944 Three Caballeros film).

Mickey Mouse is currently featured in several Disney Channel shows (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Mickey and the Roadster Racers, Mickey's Mixed-Up Adventures) that will continue on that network. These shows will stream with ads on DisneyNOW or ad-free on Disney+.

I take your point, but from Disney's perspective, these characters are still in active use.

Thanks I didn't know about this content.

But apparently they haven't made big of an impression. I meant more in the vein of a feature film (though I don't know if the originals were feature film length).

I guess if you brought these characters to the present and gave them dialogue similar to what other animated shows have, that is talk about or deal with contemporary issues, then they could antagonize some segments of the viewers.

I read the other day someone complaining about Marge Simpson being a terrible mother because she's a poor role model for Lisa as well as not being progressive-minded enough.

Josh Z 11-10-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 58801614)
But apparently they haven't made big of an impression. I meant more in the vein of a feature film (though I don't know if the originals were feature film length).

I guess if you brought these characters to the present and gave them dialogue similar to what other animated shows have, that is talk about or deal with contemporary issues, then they could antagonize some segments of the viewers.

My 5-year-olds watch the Mickey shows on Disney Junior. They're geared for very young kids. Mine will likely age out of them within another year.

Don S 11-11-2019 08:38 AM

As an ADULT, this service offers next to nothing that might interest me.
I have seen all the Star Wars movies and all of the Marvel movies and I own many of them. I have no desire to rewatch them over and over.

So I am really not certain what original NEW content that this service would offer me that might be enticing. I’m sure it will be great for kids. For me though, I really cannot imagine much that will entice me to watch.

TitusTroy 11-11-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don S (Post 58803948)
I have seen all the Star Wars movies and all of the Marvel movies and I own many of them. I have no desire to rewatch them over and over

if you're a fan of the MCU and SW movies then you're one of the core demographics for this service...there are new SW and MCU original series that Disney is developing exclusively for the platform

Don S 11-11-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitusTroy (Post 58804302)
if you're a fan of the MCU and SW movies then you're one of the core demographics for this service...there are new SW and MCU original series that Disney is developing exclusively for the platform

Honestly, I’m mostly Marveled-out at this point. I like Star Wars, but even that seems to be getting diluted and I fear there will be too much Star Wars for my tastes soon.

I’ll probably try the service anyway since it’s so cheap. I just don’t imagine I actually am the target audience here.

Tom Imp 11-11-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

I have seen all the Star Wars movies and all of the Marvel movies and I own many of them. I have no desire to rewatch them over and over.

So I am really not certain what original NEW content that this service would offer me that might be enticing. I’m sure it will be great for kids. For me though, I really cannot imagine much that will entice me to watch.

When this service was first announced, I immediately thought why would I want a kids network/service.

I am still on the fence about it, but the new Marvel shows that are planned have me interested.

Zookster 11-11-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don S (Post 58804372)
Honestly, I’m mostly Marveled-out at this point. I like Star Wars, but even that seems to be getting diluted and I fear there will be too much Star Wars for my tastes soon.

I’ll probably try the service anyway since it’s so cheap. I just don’t imagine I actually am the target audience here.

For me, Disney+ is just one more service I'll add to my rotation of services I sub to for one or two months a year to watch a small handful of "must-watch" original series. Unless I get offered a free month out of the gate, I'll wait until at least all episodes of the Mandalorian have dropped before subbing for a month. I rarely go to the theaters anymore, so I imagine by this time next year there will be two or three Star Wars/Marvel movies I'll need to catch up on as well now that they will no longer go to Netflix (how I have been watching them these past few years if I haven't rented a given title already).

Don S 11-11-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zookster (Post 58805442)
For me, Disney+ is just one more service I'll add to my rotation of services I sub to for one or two months a year to watch a small handful of "must-watch" original series. Unless I get offered a free month out of the gate, I'll wait until at least all episodes of the Mandalorian have dropped before subbing for a month. I rarely go to the theaters anymore, so I imagine by this time next year there will be two or three Star Wars/Marvel movies I'll need to catch up on as well now that they will no longer go to Netflix (how I have been watching them these past few years if I haven't rented a given title already).

Yup, mostly feel the same. Mandalorian may be the single show I am actually interested in.

sdchrgrboy 11-11-2019 02:19 PM

Quote:

As an ADULT, this service to me is great. I signed up for 3 years. It was only $3.91 a month, so for less than a Starbucks, it was no-brainer for me. But I also go to Comic-Con, and love Marvel and Star Wars. Plus all the new Marvel programming will be great as it will bleed into the new movies.

Legairre 11-11-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy (Post 58805738)
As an ADULT, this service to me is great. I signed up for 3 years. It was only $3.91 a month, so for less than a Starbucks, it was no-brainer for me. But I also go to Comic-Con, and love Marvel and Star Wars. Plus all the new Marvel programming will be great as it will bleed into the new movies.

Same here signed up early for $3.91/month for 3 years. That's basically the cost of a gallon of milk.

NewAger 11-11-2019 03:41 PM

It is very reasonably priced, even at its full fee. I'll give it that.

pab1219 11-11-2019 04:26 PM

I do

I'm engaged for 3yrs and very HAPPY.

Dmon4u 11-11-2019 04:49 PM

It will be good to see Roddy McDowall again in his Disney run !

wco81 11-11-2019 05:20 PM

I haven't seen Endgame yet.

Maybe if I finally buy a 4K TV, one month of it might be worth it just for that movie in UHD HDR. Assuming it streams in Dolby Vision.

TitusTroy 11-11-2019 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 58806588)
I haven't seen Endgame yet.

Maybe if I finally buy a 4K TV, one month of it might be worth it just for that movie in UHD HDR. Assuming it streams in Dolby Vision.

it streams in DV but the physical UHD disc is only HDR10...Disney is weird like that, they don't offer the highest quality HDR on their physical media

wco81 11-11-2019 05:52 PM

I meant assuming Disney + streams in DV.

We may not necessarily be able to assume that since they stream in DV on Vudu or whatever that they would also stream in DV on Disney +.

TitusTroy 11-11-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 58806730)
I meant assuming Disney + streams in DV.

We may not necessarily be able to assume that since they stream in DV on Vudu or whatever that they would also stream in DV on Disney +.

it will stream in DV on Disney+...they already announced it...HDR10 and DV are supported

NewAger 11-11-2019 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pab1219 (Post 58806362)
I'm engaged for 3yrs and very HAPPY.

Congrats, dude.

pab1219 11-11-2019 06:08 PM

Thank You.

Dmon4u 11-11-2019 10:10 PM

From reports, " Endgame " will have get a formerly deleted scene at the end....only on D +.

wco81 11-11-2019 11:16 PM

So those of you getting it tomorrow, post impressions of The Mandalorian and other original shows as well as overall impressions of the service.

bryantc 11-11-2019 11:33 PM

Watching Mandalorian right now

pab1219 11-12-2019 10:45 AM

Watched and enjoyed. Looking forward to the series being good.

TitusTroy 11-12-2019 11:06 AM

first thing I played on Disney+ was Phantom Menace and skipped ahead to the 2 Maul fights- the one on Tatooine and the end fight with Duel of the Fates...4K/Dolby Vision Darth Maul!...then I tried out some others like Rogue One, the original SW trilogy, some Pixar movies etc