post #1 of 216 Old 11-09-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2453 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Disney + shows and movies

So this service is about to launch.

Considered a favorite to have some lasting power vs. Netflix and other streaming services because of its library.

I'm more interested in the original content, which is really how these streaming services define themselves. After all, how many times will people watch Avenger, Pixar and Star Wars movies?

ESPN SportsCenter was promoting The Mandalorian. Why? Disney of course but they based it on the fact that Gina Carano, one of the cast members, is a former UFC fighter.

In any event, the Star Wars nerds seem to be excited based on trailers. But these Star Wars spinoff movies have been somewhat disappointing I think. Still, some people seem to be anticipating this more than upcoming Star Wars movies.

OK looking at the list of original content, looks like they'll do some other Star Wars and MCU shows of some kind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...d_by_Disney%2B

Unless you're really fans of these properties, it seems like these shows could dilute the brands, probably make the general viewer sick of Star Wars and Marvel.

It would be far more interesting to see some new content based on the original Disney characters -- Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc. Why don't they make more movies out of those?

Anyways it looks like at launch, most of the talk will be about The Mandalorian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 216 Old 11-09-2019, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 127
The Star Wars and Marvel brands are already greatly diluted in the minds of many adults, but not to the kids who are this service's target audience.

I think Disney is handling their streaming strategy well thus far. At this rate, Hulu will eventually be the great mainstay for most.
post #3 of 216 Old 11-09-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 5131 Post(s)
Liked: 4580
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
ESPN SportsCenter was promoting The Mandalorian. Why? Disney of course but they based it on the fact that Gina Carano, one of the cast members, is a former UFC fighter.

OK looking at the list of original content, looks like they'll do some other Star Wars and MCU shows of some kind.

Unless you're really fans of these properties, it seems like these shows could dilute the brands, probably make the general viewer sick of Star Wars and Marvel.

It would be far more interesting to see some new content based on the original Disney characters -- Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, etc. Why don't they make more movies out of those?
ESPN is heavily promoting Disney+ because ESPN is owned by Disney...I actually think the upcoming Disney+ spinoff shows will help the brand...I've become sick of the MCU and the new SW trilogy has been underwhelming (moreso Last Jedi) but Mandalorian has been getting amazing reviews and some are calling it the best SW property since the original series...in the first year or so Disney will be rightfully promoting their own massive library of Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel movies...beyond that who knows but they will be fine in the short term
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 216 Old 11-09-2019, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I read that Disney has been doing trials in the Netherlands or somewhere in Europe and the top item for views was Infinity Wars.

But the second most viewed was Agents of SHIELD.
post #5 of 216 Old 11-10-2019, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Just a FYI , the 1st year of Disney + is free if u have vzw "unlimited " or are a new fios Custoner.

Press release:
https://www.verizon.com/about/news/v...plus-12-months

FAQ page:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/supp...faqs/#eligible

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries
post #6 of 216 Old 11-10-2019, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Disney+ does have a new, exclusive Donald Duck series called The Legend of the Three Caballeros (based on the 1944 Three Caballeros film).

Mickey Mouse is currently featured in several Disney Channel shows (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Mickey and the Roadster Racers, Mickey's Mixed-Up Adventures) that will continue on that network. These shows will stream with ads on DisneyNOW or ad-free on Disney+.

I take your point, but from Disney's perspective, these characters are still in active use.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #7 of 216 Old 11-10-2019, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Disney+ does have a new, exclusive Donald Duck series called The Legend of the Three Caballeros (based on the 1944 Three Caballeros film).

Mickey Mouse is currently featured in several Disney Channel shows (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Mickey and the Roadster Racers, Mickey's Mixed-Up Adventures) that will continue on that network. These shows will stream with ads on DisneyNOW or ad-free on Disney+.

I take your point, but from Disney's perspective, these characters are still in active use.

Thanks I didn't know about this content.

But apparently they haven't made big of an impression. I meant more in the vein of a feature film (though I don't know if the originals were feature film length).

I guess if you brought these characters to the present and gave them dialogue similar to what other animated shows have, that is talk about or deal with contemporary issues, then they could antagonize some segments of the viewers.

I read the other day someone complaining about Marge Simpson being a terrible mother because she's a poor role model for Lisa as well as not being progressive-minded enough.
post #8 of 216 Old 11-10-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
But apparently they haven't made big of an impression. I meant more in the vein of a feature film (though I don't know if the originals were feature film length).

I guess if you brought these characters to the present and gave them dialogue similar to what other animated shows have, that is talk about or deal with contemporary issues, then they could antagonize some segments of the viewers.
My 5-year-olds watch the Mickey shows on Disney Junior. They're geared for very young kids. Mine will likely age out of them within another year.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #9 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 681
As an ADULT, this service offers next to nothing that might interest me.
I have seen all the Star Wars movies and all of the Marvel movies and I own many of them. I have no desire to rewatch them over and over.

So I am really not certain what original NEW content that this service would offer me that might be enticing. I’m sure it will be great for kids. For me though, I really cannot imagine much that will entice me to watch.
dwaleke and Zookster like this.
post #10 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I have seen all the Star Wars movies and all of the Marvel movies and I own many of them. I have no desire to rewatch them over and over
if you're a fan of the MCU and SW movies then you're one of the core demographics for this service...there are new SW and MCU original series that Disney is developing exclusively for the platform
post #11 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
if you're a fan of the MCU and SW movies then you're one of the core demographics for this service...there are new SW and MCU original series that Disney is developing exclusively for the platform

Honestly, I’m mostly Marveled-out at this point. I like Star Wars, but even that seems to be getting diluted and I fear there will be too much Star Wars for my tastes soon.

I’ll probably try the service anyway since it’s so cheap. I just don’t imagine I actually am the target audience here.
Zookster likes this.
post #12 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
I have seen all the Star Wars movies and all of the Marvel movies and I own many of them. I have no desire to rewatch them over and over.

So I am really not certain what original NEW content that this service would offer me that might be enticing. I’m sure it will be great for kids. For me though, I really cannot imagine much that will entice me to watch.
When this service was first announced, I immediately thought why would I want a kids network/service.

I am still on the fence about it, but the new Marvel shows that are planned have me interested.
Don S likes this.
post #13 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
Quote:
Honestly, I’m mostly Marveled-out at this point. I like Star Wars, but even that seems to be getting diluted and I fear there will be too much Star Wars for my tastes soon.

I’ll probably try the service anyway since it’s so cheap. I just don’t imagine I actually am the target audience here.
For me, Disney+ is just one more service I'll add to my rotation of services I sub to for one or two months a year to watch a small handful of "must-watch" original series. Unless I get offered a free month out of the gate, I'll wait until at least all episodes of the Mandalorian have dropped before subbing for a month. I rarely go to the theaters anymore, so I imagine by this time next year there will be two or three Star Wars/Marvel movies I'll need to catch up on as well now that they will no longer go to Netflix (how I have been watching them these past few years if I haven't rented a given title already).
post #14 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
For me, Disney+ is just one more service I'll add to my rotation of services I sub to for one or two months a year to watch a small handful of "must-watch" original series. Unless I get offered a free month out of the gate, I'll wait until at least all episodes of the Mandalorian have dropped before subbing for a month. I rarely go to the theaters anymore, so I imagine by this time next year there will be two or three Star Wars/Marvel movies I'll need to catch up on as well now that they will no longer go to Netflix (how I have been watching them these past few years if I haven't rented a given title already).
Yup, mostly feel the same. Mandalorian may be the single show I am actually interested in.
archiguy and NTTD like this.
post #15 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

As an ADULT, this service to me is great. I signed up for 3 years. It was only $3.91 a month, so for less than a Starbucks, it was no-brainer for me. But I also go to Comic-Con, and love Marvel and Star Wars. Plus all the new Marvel programming will be great as it will bleed into the new movies.
mesaboy, neightdog and NTTD like this.
post #16 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post
As an ADULT, this service to me is great. I signed up for 3 years. It was only $3.91 a month, so for less than a Starbucks, it was no-brainer for me. But I also go to Comic-Con, and love Marvel and Star Wars. Plus all the new Marvel programming will be great as it will bleed into the new movies.
Same here signed up early for $3.91/month for 3 years. That's basically the cost of a gallon of milk.
longhorn23 and neightdog like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #17 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 03:41 PM

It is very reasonably priced, even at its full fee. I'll give it that.
longhorn23 and neightdog like this.
post #18 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Cool I do

I'm engaged for 3yrs and very HAPPY.
NewAger, neightdog and NTTD like this.
post #19 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 145
It will be good to see Roddy McDowall again in his Disney run !

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #20 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't seen Endgame yet.

Maybe if I finally buy a 4K TV, one month of it might be worth it just for that movie in UHD HDR. Assuming it streams in Dolby Vision.
post #21 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen Endgame yet.

Maybe if I finally buy a 4K TV, one month of it might be worth it just for that movie in UHD HDR. Assuming it streams in Dolby Vision.
it streams in DV but the physical UHD disc is only HDR10...Disney is weird like that, they don't offer the highest quality HDR on their physical media
tomanystraydogs likes this.
post #22 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I meant assuming Disney + streams in DV.

We may not necessarily be able to assume that since they stream in DV on Vudu or whatever that they would also stream in DV on Disney +.
post #23 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I meant assuming Disney + streams in DV.

We may not necessarily be able to assume that since they stream in DV on Vudu or whatever that they would also stream in DV on Disney +.
it will stream in DV on Disney+...they already announced it...HDR10 and DV are supported
longhorn23 likes this.
post #24 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pab1219 View Post
I'm engaged for 3yrs and very HAPPY.
Congrats, dude.
post #25 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 06:08 PM

Thank You.
post #26 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 145
From reports, " Endgame " will have get a formerly deleted scene at the end....only on D +.
longhorn23 likes this.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #27 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So those of you getting it tomorrow, post impressions of The Mandalorian and other original shows as well as overall impressions of the service.
post #28 of 216 Old 11-11-2019, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Watching Mandalorian right now

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #29 of 216 Old 11-12-2019, 10:45 AM

Thumbs up

Watched and enjoyed. Looking forward to the series being good.
post #30 of 216 Old 11-12-2019, 11:06 AM

first thing I played on Disney+ was Phantom Menace and skipped ahead to the 2 Maul fights- the one on Tatooine and the end fight with Duel of the Fates...4K/Dolby Vision Darth Maul!...then I tried out some others like Rogue One, the original SW trilogy, some Pixar movies etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page