AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Doctor Who - Series 12 - BBC and BBCA (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/3104942-doctor-who-series-12-bbc-bbca.html)

mrvideo 11-26-2019 04:44 AM

Doctor Who - Series 12 - BBC and BBCA

Now that the first trailer has been released, time to start a new thread.

TitusTroy 12-02-2019 08:39 AM

Season 12 of the sci-fi series will premiere on Wednesday, Jan. 1st...after kicking off the season with a two-part episode, Doctor Who will then settle into its regular time slot on Sunday, Jan. 5th...

WilliamR 01-02-2020 05:26 AM

What to Watch on Wednesday: Doctor Who returns with one of the show's 'biggest stories ever'

The new season of Doctor Who with Jodie Whittaker in the title role kicks off with a two-part episode titled “Spyfall,” which showrunner Chris Chibnall promises to be “an absolute action-packed, location-packed, rollercoaster ride of a story. Probably one of our biggest stories ever in the history of the show.” The story, which features guest stars Stephen Fry and Lenny Henry, finds MI6 turning to the Doctor and her friends for help after intelligence agents around the world are under attack from alien forces. They’re “coming back with a bang,” Chibnall says, for the premiere, and the action doesn’t seem to stop there. “This season, we’ll be delving deeper into the Doctor Who universe. There will be some returning monsters.” Daleks not included. —Gerrad Hall

https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/01/what-to...ix-the-circle/

mrvideo 01-02-2020 07:13 AM

Great start. Now for part 2 on Sunday (commercial free, of course).

archiguy 01-02-2020 07:45 AM

We finally gave up on 'Doctor Who' last year. Didn't care much for the last 2 Doctors and while Jodie is a gamer, I just can't buy her in the role. Didn't care for the new group of companions either.

But more than that, the whole concept is just played out by now, for me at least. The vfx are tired and kind of lame in today's sci-fi/fantasy series marketplace. There are no new ideas in the Whoverse. I'd rather go back and watch Chris Eggleson/David Tennant and Billie Piper if I need a Whovian fix. Didn't get much better than that.

SeattleAl 01-02-2020 07:22 PM

The way I see it, I made it through the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy seasons, so I can make it through Jodie Whittaker's seasons.

This episode was better than all of last season's episodes, so there is hope for this year.

archiguy 01-03-2020 08:16 AM

I did enjoy 'Torchwood' quite a bit. Would have loved to have seen more seasons of that one.

WilliamR 01-03-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by archiguy (Post 59040946)
I did enjoy 'Torchwood' quite a bit. Would have loved to have seen more seasons of that one.

Torchwood: Miracle Day was an outstanding series. I just loved that concept and how they showed it. The impact to the planet/resources, etc. and it was well done. Really enjoyed that.

mrvideo 01-06-2020 12:44 AM

Just finished watching the BBC One airing of part 2. The series is starting out really good. Too bad there are only 8 more episodes.

Garrett Adams 01-06-2020 04:31 PM

After watching tonight's finale of the season opener I believe the show has a lock on winning an Emmy. An Emmy for most annoying loud music soundtrack. Also the final scene in the Tardis reveals a horrible redo of the interior. I want my old Tardis back.

mrvideo 01-06-2020 05:13 PM

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Mtb002 01-06-2020 11:11 PM

Ummm, the music for Dr Who has always been loud and annoying. It’s kind of their thing. Murray Gold’s scores for the Russel Davies years are legendarily obtrusive. I loved the inverted Bond theme in part one, fit right in. If you don’t like this TARDIS, wait a few years, it’ll change again.

Sharp1080 01-08-2020 10:07 AM

I enjoyed the new episodes. Not exactly mind blowing but entertaining. I also don't care for the "new" Tardis interior, too bright and looked like a dildo in some scenes. It's getting more grand each season.
Spoiler!

mrvideo 01-12-2020 07:57 PM

The 3rd episode, Orphan 55, was extremely preachy.

mrvideo 01-19-2020 08:35 PM

Much better, non-preachy, episode today.

Al_the_xmtr_tech 01-19-2020 09:43 PM

Yeah, pretty good one tonight! The guy who played Tesla was spot on; looked EXACTLY like him and spouted the kind of quotes that made him famous. The producers did some decent research on the oddball genius who was America's prototypical "mad scientist," and it made for a fun premise that reminded me of the better "historical" Doctor Who installments. The real life Tesla really did tell the press of the day that he had received signals from Mars, and truly believed that he was about to discover a practical way to transmit electrical power to the masses without the need for power lines! And his very public feud with Edison over AC vs. DC helped sell a lot of newspapers way back then!

And the makeup job on that alien "Queen" was incredible! Should definitely end up winning a BAFTA award or something.

mrvideo 01-19-2020 09:54 PM

We all know what won the AC/DC war. But, DC is making a comeback in long distance transmission line use.

aquastar 01-20-2020 09:57 AM

Speaking of the TARDIS: It's 2020!! Will somebody update that monitor! All that space and a small tv screen.

mrvideo 01-20-2020 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech (Post 59125246)
The guy who played Tesla was spot on

Goran Visnjic is his name. Last seen in the Timeless time traveling TV series.