Commercials with irritating smoke alarms and microphone feedback - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-28-2019, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Commercials with irritating smoke alarms and microphone feedback

Does anyone want to hear these sounds? Becoming more en vogue for marketing firms to place high-pitched smoke alarms and microphone feedback in their sponsor's commercials. The latest examples are Heineken and McDonald. WTF?! Is the thought process, we will get their attention by being as freaking annoying to the ears of listeners to get their attention?

Watching NFL games, I have now been subjected to smoke alarms courtesy of Michelob literally dozens of times. Some syndicated shows I know refuse to watch because I know that McDonald's places their smokes alarms on that show.

Problem is that for both companies, they place the commercial at the VERY beginning of the commercial so you have no warning, no chance to mute when see the commercial beginning. Therefore, for both, I have to be ready to mute the sound before any commercials begin.

Not as bad, but still irritating is that 95% of the time when a commercial features someone speaking into a mic, there will be feedback. Hint: How to avoid feedback in a microphone:

https://www.noterepeat.com/products/...mplifier-or-pa

I hate these sounds because they can trigger episodes of tinnitus for me when coming from a nice home theater system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2019, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2979 Post(s)
Liked: 2748
Ringing phones have been used the same way for decades. Just the next iteration. Yeah, it's damned annoying, as is the increased volume. FCC going to intervene? Nope.

Mute is your friend.

Alternatively, DVR it and skip the ads. Is the WWFL worth a live viewing anymore? That is the question.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 11-28-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-05-2019, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy View Post
Ringing phones have been used the same way for decades. Just the next iteration. Yeah, it's damned annoying, as is the increased volume. FCC going to intervene? Nope.

Mute is your friend.

Alternatively, DVR it and skip the ads. Is the WWFL worth a live viewing anymore? That is the question.
Oh yes, the phones. Not so bad, what is irritating is the propensity to have commercials that begin with an irritating beep from an answering machine, or, back around 2000 or so, the ubiquitous shrill modem sounds in commercials.

Since I wrote my last comment, another product has decided to add a shrill smoke alarms to its commercials: Godiva Chocolate. WTF. How would Godiva employees like it if I call their found and placed a piercing smoke alarm to the receive while I wore hearing protection? Watch for the Heineken smoke alarm on Sunday Football. If you watch all day, you will be exposed to about 20 smoke alarm sounds. Sometimes the network repeats the same commercial in a 3-4 minute block of ads.

I do have to give Kudos to Liberty Mutual Insurance; one of the very few companies that will run a commercial with a microphone and not include feedback. Good work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 505
I am unable to hear high pitched noises/sounds.
Didn't know what the Baker Mayfield commercial was all about until my wife explained it to me.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #5 of 6 Old 12-11-2019, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Another commercial with a smoke alarm! This one for Progressive insurance. Please, marketers, we do not want to listen to damn smoke alarms. WTF with this trend!!
post #6 of 6 Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Either I'm not watching the same things you are or my hearing is worse than I thought. The only commercial I hear anything like that is the Baker Mayfield/Progressive commercial.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page