Section 31: Star Trek Series on CBS All Access - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By Zookster
  • 2 Post By markmon1
  • 1 Post By Zookster
  • 1 Post By WilliamR
  • 1 Post By Joseph

post #1 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Section 31: Star Trek Series on CBS All Access

‘Crazy Rich Asians’ Michelle Yeoh In Talks For ‘Star Trek’ Spinoff On CBS All Access

EXCLUSIVE: The return of Patrick Stewart’s Jean-Luc Picard was the first official series of the Trekverse expansion, and it looks like another Starfleet captain could be talking the helm in her own show too.
Crazy Rich Asians star Michelle Yeoh is in talks to reprise her Star Trek Discovery role of Captain Emperor Georgiou for a stand-alone CBS All Access series, I’ve learned.

There is a natural momentum here as Yeoh’s once Captain Philippa Georgiou is already set to return to Discovery in Season 2 after leaping off into the final frontier at the end of Season 1. Still in the early planning stages, the spinoff looks likely to focus on a continuation of her Discovery Season 2 adventures in Starfleet’s Section 31 division. The semi-secret and autonomous organization has been a part of Trek lore since it was first introduced in the 1990s on the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine series.

A CBS spokesperson declined comment when contacted by Deadline about the status of any Yeoh-led spinoff. When the Alex Kurtzman-run expansion was first announced in June, a Georgiou series was one that Deadline postulated.

The first revealed casting of the Discovery series, the recruitment of Yeoh’s Georgiou into Section 31 is a storyline for the January 17-debuting Season 2 of Discovery that she teased online when she appeared at New York Comic-Con in October

Yet, with those seeds planted for a Yeoh-led spinoff, the series is one of several ideas being pursued by Discovery EP Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout and David Stapf’s CBS TV Studios for the multi-project, multi-year Trekverse expansion, sources say. “My goal is that there should be a Star Trek something on all the time on All Access,” Stapf told Deadline in August.

In this particular case, a major factor is Yeoh’s own packed dance card. With projects including a not-yet-officially-greenlighted Crazy Rich Asians sequel and the overall deal and recent formation of her own production shingle with SK Global Entertainment, the actor’s availability could be limited for a commitment of a series lead.

If the Georgiou series were to make to the cut, it would join the now well-established Discovery and the upcoming and untitled Picard series. The Trekverse expansion also already includes the recently announced half-hour adult animated comedy series Star Trek: Below Decks and the now-showing Star Trek: Short Treks.

So, crank up the warp drive, Captain on deck.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/michell...ns-1202498617/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
It would be nice if just once CBS would put one of these Star Trek series on the main network. If you're going to milk a franchise at the risk of killing it, you may as well go for the biggest audience possible.
WilliamR and Tack like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
It would be nice if just once CBS would put one of these Star Trek series on the main network. If you're going to milk a franchise at the risk of killing it, you may as well go for the biggest audience possible.

Yes, and Showtime as well. I finally dropped it after being a 30 year subscriber. And they ain't getting me back until they put one of these Trek spinoffs there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-01-2019, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 508
I can just see what's coming in about 18 to 24 months...people will be whining "there's too much Star Trek!" The late Harve Bennett (a producer on three of the TOS movies) actually predicted this. Meanwhile, while all the streaming Treks take over CBSAA, the fourth J.J. Abrams theatrical Trek flick is being planned with Noah Hawley as director. Noah Hawley? WTF...Star Trek Fargo???

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #5 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Agreed. I was talking to someone about shows we watch and I mentioned the Star Trek and they were really bummed they couldn't watch it since they don't have CBS all access and they didn't want to pay for another streaming service on top of what they already have. I think CBS is missing a much larger audience.

post #6 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 5441 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
I can just see what's coming in about 18 to 24 months...people will be whining "there's too much Star Trek!" The late Harve Bennett (a producer on three of the TOS movies) actually predicted this. Meanwhile, while all the streaming Treks take over CBSAA, the fourth J.J. Abrams theatrical Trek flick is being planned with Noah Hawley as director. Noah Hawley? WTF...Star Trek Fargo???
I don't agree. First, these series are not full 22 episode seasons. With them all 3 combined you wont even get a new star trek each week per year. No star trek fan is going to turn down the content wishing there was less of it. That's sort of silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Agreed. I was talking to someone about shows we watch and I mentioned the Star Trek and they were really bummed they couldn't watch it since they don't have CBS all access and they didn't want to pay for another streaming service on top of what they already have. I think CBS is missing a much larger audience.
I don't agree with this either. The fact that it's on CBS all access has given the shows a much larger budget than they'd get on regular old CBS. I'd much rather get the quality we are getting now than whatever regular TV level special effects would be given otherwise. The effects in discovery are movie quality and while the Mandelorian has supposedly a bigger per episode budget, discover sure looks nicer. In fact, I'd go as far to say that the effects in discovery are the best I've ever seen in any Sci-Fi movie or tv. This wouldn't be possible on regular network CBS budgets. Those that are too cheap to afford the $6/ mo, 1 month per year (to binge the show), doesn't deserve to watch it - and it's truly their loss.
allargon and Zookster like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 859
This announcement was from late 2018. Is it still valid? My memory is fuzzy, but didn’t Georgiou also get catapulted to the future? She was already part of Section 31 in Season 2 of Discovery and that picked up right as S1 ended with Pike assuming command of Discovery, so not enough time passed for Georgiou to have had many significant adventures within Section 31 to support a separate series.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
In fact, I'd go as far to say that the effects in discovery are the best I've ever seen in any Sci-Fi movie or tv. This wouldn't be possible on regular network CBS budgets.
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Quote:
Those that are too cheap to afford the $6/ mo, 1 month per year (to binge the show), doesn't deserve to watch it - and it's truly their loss.
Not everyone's cheap — just trying to balance priorities in their budget. Even with three jobs, some folks just can't afford a half dozen premium or subscription streaming services alongside a live TV service. (Even the OTT live TV services are getting pricey.)

With that said, I almost never pay for CBS All Access. I'm constantly getting offers for a free month (commercial free). Just got another Cyber Monday offer today, in fact. Of course, it requires me being flexible and bingeing the new Star Trek season once all the episodes have dropped rather than paying month to month as the new season airs. Even if I had a substantial disposable income, I wouldn't pay $10/mo (I'd never watch with ads) for three to four months just for one show. I'd rather spend the $30-$40 on a blu-ray set.
Rgb likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3376
Quote:
The demographic that watches 14 different NCIS and Criminal Minds shows isn't interested in Star Trek.

CBS has a lot invested in the All Access platform and needs a flagship franchise to attract subscribers. Star Trek is a big draw for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I don't agree with this either. The fact that it's on CBS all access has given the shows a much larger budget than they'd get on regular old CBS. I'd much rather get the quality we are getting now than whatever regular TV level special effects would be given otherwise.
Not to mention that it if did air on regular CBS, the season would have to be extended to 22-24 episodes, which means lots more filler and soap opera storylines to pad the length.

Quote:
the fourth J.J. Abrams theatrical Trek flick is being planned with Noah Hawley as director. Noah Hawley? WTF...Star Trek Fargo???
Still a better choice than Tarantino.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.

Last edited by Josh Z; 12-02-2019 at 01:10 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
...still a better choice than Tarantino.
Totally agree! But word has it that Tarantino will still get his chance to do a Trek after the Hawley picture is released. A crying shame, because they could have gotten an ACTUAL STAR TREK FAN (such as Brad Bird or Seth Macfarlane) to helm a Trek feature. Imagine that. Probably will never happen--this is Paramount we're talking about.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 12-02-2019 at 07:18 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
This announcement was from late 2018. Is it still valid? My memory is fuzzy, but didn’t Georgiou also get catapulted to the future? She was already part of Section 31 in Season 2 of Discovery and that picked up right as S1 ended with Pike assuming command of Discovery, so not enough time passed for Georgiou to have had many significant adventures within Section 31 to support a separate series.
Yes, there is an article out there talking about it still in the works, I will try to find it.

post #12 of 13 Old 12-02-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

“Star Trek: Discovery”: Alex Kurtzman, Julie McNamara Update Michelle Yeoh Spinoff “Section 31”

CBS All Access has been having a pretty good time playing in the Star Trek sandbox since the streamer’s debut. From the success of Star Trek: Discovery (warp-factoring its way to a third season) to the highly-anticipated Patrick Stewart-returning Picard, the franchise has been burning red hot on the television front. With anthology series Short Treks and upcoming animated comedy series Lower Decks, the streaming service has shown a willingness to have a little fun while they’re at it.

But just like the franchise, we can’t help looking to the future. In this case, we’re talking Section 31 – a Discovery spinoff series that would have Michelle Yeoh returning as Philippa Georgiou to expand upon her character’s current position as a member of the “shadow intelligence group” that operates from within the Federation.

With CBS and Viacom preparing for a merger that will bring their respective movies and series under the Paramount shingle, Star Trek showrunner Alex Kurtzman and CBS All Access’ Julie McNamara sat down with Vanity Fair to discuss the franchise’s past, present, and future on the streaming service.

During the course of the interview, Kurtzman and McNamara offered fans an update on the series – here are the highlights:

● While Yeoh is still working on the “current season” of Discovery, McNamara revealed that Kurtzman’s assembled a writer’s room and scripts are in motion:

“We are very excited about the Section 31 show and Michelle Yeoh is excited to do it. She is in the current season of Discovery so she’s working on that right now but we have scripts getting written, and Alex has a writer’s room. We love what we’ve heard so far. It’s yet another tonality of Trek. As Alex has mapped it all out, each show has its own unique sort of voice and vision.”

For Kurtzman, Section 31 represents the darker aspects of the franchise’s universe that hasn’t really been explored before so it was important that it had a different tone and its own unique mythology:

What we don’t want is for you to watch one show and be like, well I don’t really need to watch that other Star Trek show cause I’ve already watched Discovery or whatever. So to me Section 31 is sort of like the black ops CIA division of Star Trek and it was established in Deep Space 9. Full credit goes to Michelle Yeoh for coming to me and saying in season one, before we even launched, “I want to do a spin off of my character!” With Michelle Yeoh, it’s very hard to say no.

This was like a year before Crazy Rich Asians came out and we had not launched Discovery yet. No one had seen it. So I was like, let’s have one show that hopefully people like and we can talk about it. Once Discovery happened, I brought it to Julie and she immediately said, great, let’s develop it. Erica [Lippoldt] and Bo Yeon [Kim], two writers on our Discovery staff, started writing a pilot and it’s really different. It occupies an area of the Trek universe that’s never really been explored geographically. It has a new mythology to it, which is very interesting. And it puts Michelle’s character to the test in a lot of ways that Discovery can’t. In some ways it will be her Unforgiven, I would say.”

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/12...ff-section-31/
Zookster likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 12-03-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Noah Hawley? WTF...Star Trek Fargo???
Or maybe Star Trek Legion?