Jerusalem's Lot on Epix (based on Stephen King short story) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By rdclark
  • 1 Post By mikeewing

post #1 of 10 Old 12-19-2019, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2233 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Jerusalem's Lot on Epix (based on Stephen King short story)

From HOTP thread:

Adrien Brody to Star in Stephen King Drama 'Jerusalem's Lot' for Epix
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter - Dec. 19, 2019

Epix is getting into the Stephen King business.

The MGM-backed premium cable network has handed out a straight-to-series order for a drama based on the author's 1978 short story Jerusalem's Lot with Adrien Brody set to star. (The short was first published in the 1978 collection Night Shift and was also published in the illustrated edition of Salem's Lot.)

Set in the 1850s, the drama follows Capt. Charles Boone (Brody), who relocates his family of three children to his ancestral home in the sleepy town of Preacher's Corners, Maine, after his wife dies at sea. The show will see him confronting the secrets of his family's sordid history and fight to end the darkness that has plagued them for generations.

Production on the 10-episode series will begin in May in Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an eye toward launching in 2020.

The series is exec produced in-house by the newly launched Epix Productions. Donald De Line (Wayward Pines) will exec produce. Jason Filardi and Peter Filardi serve as showrunners.

"This series is an intense, absolutely terrifying reimagining of classic gothic horror," Epix president Michael Wright said in making the announcement Thursday. "We can’t wait to work with the exceptional team of Donald De Line and Jason and Peter Filardi, along with our phenomenal lead actor, Adrien Brody…and of course, when it comes to horror, it doesn’t get any better or more masterful than Stephen King. We’re thrilled to be the home to this incredible show."

Jerusalem's Lot joins a rapidly growing scripted roster at Epix that includes Godfather of Harlem, Pennyworth, Get Shorty, Perpetual Grace LTD and Belgravia.

Jerusalem's Lot is the latest of King's works to come to television. It joins Lisey's Story at Apple, The Dark Tower at Amazon, The Stand at CBS All Access, The Outsider at HBO, Hulu anthology Castle Rock, Audience Network's Mr. Mercedes and Shudder's Creepshow.

Brody, repped by CAA, won the Oscar for The Pianist. Next up, he stars in Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch. He most recently guest-starred on BBC/Netflix's Peaky Blinders. His TV credits include History's Houdini.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...t-epix-1264089

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-20-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 1979
I am 100% in for this! I loved the "Jerusalem's Lot" backstory this season in Castle Rock.

Will be eagerly awaiting the new series, if the quality is as good as Pennyworth on Epix we are in for a treat!

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
post #3 of 10 Old 12-20-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
I am 100% in for this! I loved the "Jerusalem's Lot" backstory this season in Castle Rock.

Will be eagerly awaiting the new series, if the quality is as good as Pennyworth on Epix we are in for a treat!
My wife owns every Stephen King novel (she still buys novels, likes adding them to her bookshelves in the reading room). When I told her about this her eyes latterly went wide and she said "Oh Snap, when does it start?" So I guess she really liked it too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-20-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
My wife owns every Stephen King novel (she still buys novels, likes adding them to her bookshelves in the reading room). When I told her about this her eyes latterly went wide and she said "Oh Snap, when does it start?" So I guess she really liked it too.
This is not the novel ‘Salem’s Lot. It’s an independent short story, set 100-plus years earlier, but connected in certain ways. It first appeared in the early King anthology Night Shift.

Last edited by rdclark; 12-20-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-22-2019, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
This is not the novel ‘Salem’s Lot. It’s an independent short story, set 100-plus years earlier, but connected in certain ways. It first appeared in the early King anthology Night Shift.
Yes, we know that. I didn't say it was Salem's lot. She read it in his short story collection.

post #6 of 10 Old 12-22-2019, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Yes, we know that. I didn't say it was Salem's lot. She read it in his short story collection.
OK. I was reacting to the repeated use of the word "novel" in your post, is all.
WilliamR likes this.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-23-2019, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
OK. I was reacting to the repeated use of the word "novel" in your post, is all.
Ah got it, no biggie, was just confused by the call out. Wife typically finds his short stories a real hit and miss. For her they seem to be either fantastic or really boring, not much in between. This particular one she really liked.

post #8 of 10 Old 12-23-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That particular short story collection -- "Night Shift" -- is somewhat historic in the literary world. It was his first such collection (published right after The Shining) and was the first inkling many of his fans had that he was so prolific in shorter forms. It won lots of awards.

It may have spawned more film and TV adaptations than any other single book in history other than maybe the Bible. The Wikipedia article lists six theatrical features and four TV movies (plus now this new series) based on stories from the anthology, not counting all the student films he gave permission to be made.

Arguably, the best adaptations of King come from his shorter works. "Different Seasons" inspired three of the best King movies (Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, Apt Pupil).

I'm a huge fan of King's writing (not so much of most screen adaptations) and also have bookshelves groaning under the weight of hardcovers going all the way back to Carrie. But now that I have transitioned to e-books for all fiction reading, I need to find a good home for them.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-31-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 330
My favorite remains The Stand.
WilliamR likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-31-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
My favorite remains The Stand.
Yeah I agree, The Stand is definitely his Magnum Opus.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page