Survivor :: Winners At War / Season 40 CBS Feb. 2020 - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #121 of 157 Old 03-14-2020, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Not so sure about the letting him win part. its $2 million, if she felt she could bring that home over him she would go for it.
By letting him win, I mean if they were in the challenge to get back into the game, and they were the final two left, she’d ease up so he would re-enter the game. If they both make it to the end, then they’d probably have to have a discussion about who’d get the most jury votes. This gets tricky because if they end up splitting votes then the third person might have a chance of winning.

Ambers’s saying all the right things about competing and winning but I don’t see a real desire to win like the others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 157 Old 03-14-2020, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Rob is starting to make Russell look like a saint.
No way. Rob might be overbearing but he is not mean-spirited like Russel.

Rob’s style of play is outdated. He can’t keep up with all the twists and turns that the game throws at them now and the fact that no one forms tight alliances anymore. They are more fluid and changing with each day. Parvati and Sandra, who don’t try to become the Alpha are able to adapt more easily.
post #123 of 157 Old 03-14-2020, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
Liked: 4228
Rob simply drank his own Kool-Aid .. simple as that ..

Last season, with Giant Head Statues, presented like the Gods of the Islands, Rob became a Legend in His Own Mind ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 157 Old 03-14-2020, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Ambers’s saying all the right things about competing and winning but I don’t see a real desire to win like the others.
Of those that have gone to Edge Island .. Natalie is, IMO, the one that wants it the most .. I'd personally like to see her make it back into the real Game ..

Amber seems to me to talk a lot about her age, kids, how long it's been since she played, etc ..

In addition to Rob's obvious flaws, he now has a personal vendetta to somehow avenge Amber's vote out .. I don't know if that will work out well for him, or Amber .. "It's a game for 2 million bucks, folks, you have to set your personal feelings aside .."

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #125 of 157 Old 03-14-2020, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Of those that have gone to Edge Island .. Natalie is, IMO, the one that wants it the most .. I'd personally like to see her make it back into the real Game ..

Amber seems to me to talk a lot about her age, kids, how long it's been since she played, etc ..

In addition to Rob's obvious flaws, he now has a personal vendetta to somehow avenge Amber's vote out .. I don't know if that will work out well for him, or Amber .. "It's a game for 2 million bucks, folks, you have to set your personal feelings aside .."
My thoughts exactly.
post #126 of 157 Old 03-18-2020, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Wow! What a night. Two for One.

Spoiler!
curtlots and StormCrow like this.
post #127 of 157 Old 03-18-2020, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Predictable move by Denise, but still awesome.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #128 of 157 Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Yeah, I saw it coming, but the laugh I belted out after the last tribal was likely even heard by my neighbors. (In their virus isolation bunkers.)
JoeNc likes this.
post #129 of 157 Old 03-19-2020, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Even Sandra knew it was coming. She broke the cardinal rule of never giving away an idol. She thought she was being clever by getting rid of someone else with no blood on her hands.

Denise still gets credit for not being a pawn and for making the big move.
post #130 of 157 Old 03-19-2020, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 2928
Who in the world gives away an idol nowadays? This has been on a LONG time, they know better than this. Unbelievable. And for fire token(s), they don't even know what they will do yet. She was wayyyyy to full of herself thinking she would not need it. Awesome episode. Great game play this season!
shivaji likes this.

post #131 of 157 Old 03-19-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Jeff:
"....It’s important to note that in Winners at War, players on a tribe can also pool their tokens to purchase food, items, or advantages by presenting them at any challenge. The items initially available are coffee and pastries (3 tokens), a small bag of beans (4 tokens), a regular bag of rice (5 tokens), two pillows and blankets (4 tokens), a tarp (5 tokens), or an advantage in the challenge (4 tokens)...."

This was Jeff in an article right before the show started to air explaining fire tokens...
It doesn't seem that any of this stuff is available or being offered / bought at the challenges ( he said,"at ANY challenge" ) ...
post #132 of 157 Old 03-19-2020, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
ok, now that small island (eoe)is getting smaller with all the big heads on it........

hah

should be interesting ...

they'll probablly start showing more film on what's going on eoe now..
StormCrow and shivaji like this.
post #133 of 157 Old 03-20-2020, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Other than Denise could have kept one Idol and still been OK, she did prove herself worthy ..

The Chess Moves this season have been great .. and, it appears New School is winning out over Old School ..

I'd anticipate full Tribe Merge soon, which, in my opinion, is always when the real nitty gritty starts ..

Uncle Willie

post #134 of 157 Old 03-20-2020, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A quote from an article describing what happened when Boston Rob arrived on EoE. Anyone still think that Amber is in it to win it?

Quote:
In a confessional, Amber said she “really hopes” her husband “gets back in” because she believes in him and knows he “has an amazing heart for this game.”
I wonder why they didn’t show any of the footage of BR reuniting with Amber.
post #135 of 157 Old 03-20-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here’s the scene described in the article. It wasn’t on the official Survivor YouTube channel. I’m not sure where it came from.

shivaji likes this.
post #136 of 157 Old 03-25-2020, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Whoever wins will have just as many wins as Sandra, will have won more money, and didn't quit. So much for being the queen.

post #137 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Whoever wins will have just as many wins as Sandra, will have won more money, and didn't quit. So much for being the queen.
They would have a lot more things to brag about compared to Sandra's. She only won twice and that is it. This winner will not only have won twice, but won the most money, first to ever win $2 million, first to ever win against all previous winners, etc.

post #138 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
They would have a lot more things to brag about compared to Sandra's. She only won twice and that is it. This winner will not only have won twice, but won the most money, first to ever win $2 million, first to ever win against all previous winners, etc.
And Sandra will STILL be The Queen.
post #139 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 301
It appears Yul dropped just one fire token. Does he go to EoE with three?
post #140 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked: 1340
i loved Sandra's reasons for bowing out. The Queen don't hump. She knows her limitations, she's not running up and down hills for a token and a cup of rice, while wasting away in that crappy shelter. Probably also senses that most likely, no one in that group of outcasts is going to win in the end either and definitely not her. Later.
StormCrow likes this.
post #141 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 48
While I understand and agree with Sandra's reasoning, I still believe she should not have quit. I am not a huge fan of Sandra but I do respect her game and being able to win twice is no accident. She does have many fans and I feel she owed it to her fans and the game to continue to it's conclusion for her. The odds of her winning her way back were somewhere between very slight and none but I just don't see quitting for reason of not seeing a possibility of winning as the way any player that loves the game should have done.
StormCrow and Willie_Tee like this.
post #142 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
It appears Yul dropped just one fire token. Does he go to EoE with three?
I thought that I saw him split his tokens between 2 player's "cups" ....

Last edited by MeatChicken; 03-27-2020 at 08:41 AM.
post #143 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
And Sandra will STILL be The Queen.
In her mind, yes.

post #144 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 10:04 AM

Sandra explains quitting Survivor: 'I was done with Fiji'

As shocking as it was for Survivor fans to see two-time winner Sandra Diaz-Twine essentially get voted out with her own immunity idol last week on the Winners at War season, there was an even more surprising development to begin this week’s episode.

Upon arriving at the Edge of Extinction — where voted-out players must bide their time and suffer in attempts to collect food and Fire Tokens in the hopes of returning to the game — Sandra decided she wanted no part of it. “You don’t have to convince me,” Sandra told the others about her decision to quit. “I already know this is not for me. Sorry, y’all, I can’t be here. I can’t. I’m not going to sit here for 23 days to fight my way through a challenge to get back in.”

After explaining to the camera that she didn’t feel she had any chance to win a challenge that would get her back at the merge or later, Sandra insisted that “I’m happy to go into retirement and know that I did the best I could with what I had. At the end of the day, I’m still the queen and I’ll always be the queen.” But that was then. How does she feel now?

In this exclusive video filmed right before the season began airing, Sandra weighs in on why she raised the sail that indicated she was done. “I went to Edge of Extinction for not even like two hours,” she explains. “And I was like, ‘I’m not f---ing staying here.’”

What does the most decorated Survivor player ever make now about leaving the game? “So I don’t care if they say ‘Sandra quit Edge of Extinction’” says Sandra, “because essentially that’s what I did. That doesn’t bother me one bit because I know my strengths, I know my weaknesses. I saw all those people out there on Edge of Extinction and I was like, ‘I can’t beat none of these jokers at nothing. I’m not sitting here for 23 days to suffer.’”

Sandra also points out that her decision to appear as a mentor on the previous season, Survivor: Island of the Idols, played a part in her decision. “I just finished playing for 36 days, took two weeks off, now I’m back out here, it’s day 16, and now we have to is out there for twenty-something days?” she says. “I wasn’t having it.”

The level of competition also played a factor for a player much more famous for sitting out challenges rather than performing in them. “On Edge of Extinction, to get back in the game, you have to do physical challenges, and all of those challenges are usually three parts,” Sandra points out. “I saw Natalie, who does CrossFit, Amber is active, Danni, Ethan, a soccer player, Boston Rob was out there, Tyson who does bicycling like Lance Armstrong. Me, Sandra, going out there and doing that? No, absolutely not. It would have just been torture for me.”

In the end, for the two-time winner, the choice boiled down to one simple thing: “I just would have sat there for 23 days being miserable. And I was done with Fiji. I was just done.”

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-sandra-di...inners-at-war/

post #145 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Yeah, Sandra didn't even sleep on it and pulled a Cartman... 'Blank' you guys, I'm going home!

post #146 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Sandra explains quitting Survivor: 'I was done with Fiji'

As shocking as it was for Survivor fans to see two-time winner Sandra Diaz-Twine essentially get voted out with her own immunity idol last week on the Winners at War season, there was an even more surprising development to begin this week’s episode.

Upon arriving at the Edge of Extinction — where voted-out players must bide their time and suffer in attempts to collect food and Fire Tokens in the hopes of returning to the game — Sandra decided she wanted no part of it. “You don’t have to convince me,” Sandra told the others about her decision to quit. “I already know this is not for me. Sorry, y’all, I can’t be here. I can’t. I’m not going to sit here for 23 days to fight my way through a challenge to get back in.”

After explaining to the camera that she didn’t feel she had any chance to win a challenge that would get her back at the merge or later, Sandra insisted that “I’m happy to go into retirement and know that I did the best I could with what I had. At the end of the day, I’m still the queen and I’ll always be the queen.” But that was then. How does she feel now?

In this exclusive video filmed right before the season began airing, Sandra weighs in on why she raised the sail that indicated she was done. “I went to Edge of Extinction for not even like two hours,” she explains. “And I was like, ‘I’m not f---ing staying here.’”

What does the most decorated Survivor player ever make now about leaving the game? “So I don’t care if they say ‘Sandra quit Edge of Extinction’” says Sandra, “because essentially that’s what I did. That doesn’t bother me one bit because I know my strengths, I know my weaknesses. I saw all those people out there on Edge of Extinction and I was like, ‘I can’t beat none of these jokers at nothing. I’m not sitting here for 23 days to suffer.’”

Sandra also points out that her decision to appear as a mentor on the previous season, Survivor: Island of the Idols, played a part in her decision. “I just finished playing for 36 days, took two weeks off, now I’m back out here, it’s day 16, and now we have to is out there for twenty-something days?” she says. “I wasn’t having it.”

The level of competition also played a factor for a player much more famous for sitting out challenges rather than performing in them. “On Edge of Extinction, to get back in the game, you have to do physical challenges, and all of those challenges are usually three parts,” Sandra points out. “I saw Natalie, who does CrossFit, Amber is active, Danni, Ethan, a soccer player, Boston Rob was out there, Tyson who does bicycling like Lance Armstrong. Me, Sandra, going out there and doing that? No, absolutely not. It would have just been torture for me.”

In the end, for the two-time winner, the choice boiled down to one simple thing: “I just would have sat there for 23 days being miserable. And I was done with Fiji. I was just done.”

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-sandra-di...inners-at-war/
I see zero flaws in her logic.
Pete-N2 likes this.
post #147 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
I see zero flaws in her logic.

I agree, no flaws in her logic but I do see flaws in her character/honor. As I said in my earlier post, I believe she owed it to her fans and to honor the game to see it through. Yes, it would have been tough and with little chance, if any chance, to win but she knew what she signed up for and I can't imagine any other players in this group quitting just because the game is hard and it is unlikely or even impossible to win from the point they are in the game. Most would be willing to put the health and life at risk to stay in the game. Regardless of her flawless logic, quitting under these conditions is just plain quitting. I do believe one day she will regret this decision but maybe not. I can't believe anyone would want to look back as say "I quit". I do believe this will be tarnish her reputation as a Survivor player as time goes on.
post #148 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

She showed up for a paycheck, knowing she wouldn't win. She was also sitting out in group challenges so much they called it the Sandra bench.
JoeNc likes this.

post #149 of 157 Old 03-26-2020, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
looks like yul gave one fire token to sarah and one to sophie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor:_Winners_at_War
post #150 of 157 Old 03-27-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post
looks like yul gave one fire token to sarah and one to sophie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor:_Winners_at_War
That is exactly what they showed him doing, dropping one in each of their boxes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page