Survivor :: Winners At War / Season 40 CBS Feb. 2020 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #1 of 75 Old 12-20-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3102 Post(s)
Liked: 4092
Survivor :: Winners At War / Season 40 CBS Feb. 2020

Survivor :: Winners At War / Season 40 CBS Feb. 2020

Two Million Up For Grabs / February 12, 2020 Premier

Cast
https://ew.com/tv/survivor-winners-a...eason-40-cast/
cardoski likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 12-20-2019, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Go, Yul ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #3 of 75 Old 12-20-2019, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

It's certainly no coincidence that Sandra and Rob were on last Season .. build up a little nostalgia with viewers .. and, when you think back on Rob's comments about how he loves the Game, etc ..

Taking any comments on who gets the boot first ..

Uncle Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 Old 12-20-2019, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Can't remember if Russell ever won
I thought he played two or the times.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #5 of 75 Old 12-21-2019, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
It's certainly no coincidence that Sandra and Rob were on last Season .. build up a little nostalgia with viewers .. and, when you think back on Rob's comments about how he loves the Game, etc ..

Taking any comments on who gets the boot first ..
Would love to see Rob win again, but there's no way the others let Rob, Sandra or Parvati get very far! Right???

7.3.4 Home Theater - Sony 85x950G, Samsung K8500, Oppo 203, Marantz AV7702mkII, Marantz 7055, Marantz 6004,Apple 4K TV
2 - JL Audio F212, JTR Captivator S2, Klipsch RF7iii, RC-64iii, RS-62 x 2, 5800 in-ceiling x 4, Furman Elite, DIRECTV - HR54-700, C61k-700, ATS Acoustic Panels, miniDSP 2x4HD
Calibrated by Jeff at AccuCal AV
post #6 of 75 Old 12-21-2019, 08:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 271
I wonder if this was filmed early enough that the other "winners" may not have even been aware Rob & Sandra were again on the last cycle of the show ... ?
And was the seemingly odd choice of a big diamond "tiara crown" Sandra wore on the reunion show an easter egg that she possibly won Winners at War ??
post #7 of 75 Old 12-21-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Years back I always wanted to see all the winners face off just to see who was the best, but that never panned out. Years later, now that I rarely watch this show, I don't recognize 3/4 of these people, but I may tune in just because of the idea.

That said, you just know Rob and Parvati are going to control this game and the "nicer" winners won't stand a chance.
srw1000 likes this.
post #8 of 75 Old 12-21-2019, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by matth22 View Post
Would love to see Rob win again, but there's no way the others let Rob, Sandra or Parvati get very far! Right???
So much is dependent on how the Tribe's initial makeup ends up .. if both Amber and Rob are on the same initial Tribe, certainly they will be targets .. it's probably unlikely they will be, though ..

Sandra's two wins were not accidental ..

I will say that, Sarah Lacina is a two season player, made it to Final in Cagayan and won Game Changers .. I'd kind of lean toward her as a Dark Horse .. and, if she and Tony Vlachos end up on the first initial Tribe, I would guess there would be a quick alliance ..

Uncle Willie

post #9 of 75 Old 12-23-2019, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2117 Post(s)
Liked: 2759
Really looking forward to this new season. Some of those players were favorites of ours to watch. Going to be really interesting to see who they perceive to be the biggest threats in the game.

Plus the $2 million dollar reward is nice.

post #10 of 75 Old 12-26-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Can't remember if Russell ever won
I thought he played two or the times.
No, he never won. He made it to the end but he ticked off so many people they wouldn't give him the win.

I thought he should've won.
srw1000 and 73shark like this.
post #11 of 75 Old 12-26-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
No, he never won. He made it to the end but he ticked off so many people they wouldn't give him the win.

I thought he should've won.
Me too.

post #12 of 75 Old 12-26-2019, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Both Russell Hantz actions on the Show and in real life showed, IMO, how little of a real man he is .. although he was awarded the "Sprint Player of the Season" twice when they were still doing that .. $200K plus what he made on the Game was not a bad haul ..

When he tried to bribe Natalie for the title in "Samoa", that was beyond the pale ..

His nephew, Brandon, was even worse ..
MeatChicken likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #13 of 75 Old 12-26-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
Liked: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Both Russell Hantz actions on the Show and in real life showed, IMO, how little of a real man he is .. although he was awarded the "Sprint Player of the Season" twice when they were still doing that .. $200K plus what he made on the Game was not a bad haul ..

When he tried to bribe Natalie for the title in "Samoa", that was beyond the pale ..

His nephew, Brandon, was even worse ..
His brother Willie was pretty bad too. He was on season 14 of Big Brother and got expelled for violence. I'm glad CBS moved on from that clan.

#IHateNalleh
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #14 of 75 Old 12-26-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But I will bet they got good ratings during their tenure.

post #15 of 75 Old 12-26-2019, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
But I will bet they got good ratings during their tenure.
Well, I'll say this .. if you scroll down on the WIKI page and look at the ratings chart, it's been a fairly steady decline over the years .. which is one of the reasons I think the Producers continue to try out this and that, including allowing Dan to hang around longer than he should have, it's still getting decent numbers, but not like the hey day ::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surviv...ican_TV_series)

Uncle Willie

post #16 of 75 Old 12-26-2019, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
His brother Willie was pretty bad too. He was on season 14 of Big Brother and got expelled for violence. I'm glad CBS moved on from that clan.
Lord I'm glad I quit that show a long time ago ..

Uncle Willie

post #17 of 75 Old 12-26-2019, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post

Yeah, that's a pretty toxic family. I remember that season quite well.
post #18 of 75 Old 12-27-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as "Rob" ( or any other player winning this time around), I do believe it's anyone's game at the start ...
I could see some players forming an alliance with him, partly due to his "2" votes, if he's on the same team as his wife, or just 'cause they aren't IN with others ..
He's also very smart enough, to privately make the case to other tribemates, : " Hey, do you really think the jury is going to give ME that money again, over those really "likable" deserving dudes over there .. They are the danger, We need to get THEM out, pronto" And he gets them paranoid enough to have them vote others out before him ..
Who knows, he may be the 1st one out, we will see ...
post #19 of 75 Old 01-13-2020, 04:45 AM

‘Survivor’ Sets 40th Season Retrospective Special On CBS – TCA

Survivor will take a look back at the past 20 (!) years as it approaches its milestone 40th season. The groundbreaking series will celebrate its upcoming 40th season with a one-hour special, Survivor at 40: Greatest Moments and Players, set for Wednesday, February 5 at 8 PM on CBS. The special will air a week ahead of the Season 40 premiere, a special two-hour episode, on Wednesday, February 12 at 8 PM. The special was announced Sunday during CBS’ presentation at the TCA Winter Press Tour.

Hosted by Jeff Probst, the retrospective features new interviews with players from the past two decades, including previous winners Rob Mariano (“Redemption Island”), Amber Mariano (“All-Stars”), Jeremy Collins (“Second Chance”), Parvati Shallow (Fan vs. Favorites), and Ben Driebergen (“Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers”).

Survivor premiered May 31, 2000 and ultimately changed the television landscape. Since the first group of castaways were marooned on the beaches of Borneo 20 years ago, the game has evolved and adapted. Almost 600 castaways have played the game, and only 38 were crowned with the title of Sole Survivor, with Sandra Diaz-Twine being the only castaway to earn the title on two separate seasons.

Other highlights in the special, per CBS, include Parvati discussing her strategy behind the game-changing move of playing two idols in “Heroes vs. Villains,” and the psychology behind the historic Black Widow alliance that convinced Erik to give up his immunity necklace during “Fans vs. Favorites”; Rob and Amber reliving falling in love during “All Stars” and Rob’s marriage proposal at the live finale in Madison Square Garden; Ben talking about his infamous upside-down “U” and winning the first final four fire-making challenge in “Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers”; Jeremy remembering the anxiety that came with trying to find the first idol hidden within an immunity challenge during “Second Chance”; the emotional Tribal Council when Ciera Eastin was forced to vote out her mom, Laura Morett in “Blood vs. Water” and the historic Tribal Council in “Game Changers” when fan-favorite Cirie Fields was voted out of the game despite not receiving a single vote.

It also will include life-changing moments with Christian Hubicki (“David vs. Goliath”), Donathan Hurley (“Ghost Island”), David Wright (“Millennials vs. Gen X”), and Cirie Fields (“Panama”), who all overcame personal obstacles when faced with tough situations on the island, as well as a sneak peek of the upcoming season Survivor: Winners At War.

Survivor at 40: Greatest Moments and Players is produced by S.E.G. Holdco., LLC. Probst and Matt Van Wagenen are executive producers; Brittany Crapper is producer.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/survivo...ca-1202828106/

post #20 of 75 Old 01-15-2020, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jeff Probst reveals the big new twist for Survivor: Winners at War
The host explains that the new wrinkle is one producers plan to be around for a long time.

By Dalton Ross January 15, 2020 at 11:00 AM EST

One of the reasons Survivor has been able to make it all the way to season 40 is the show’s ability to evolve via new twists that manage to keep the game (and show) fresh after 20 years. Not all of those twists work out (Medallion of Power, anyone?), but if the show was too scared to try out new ideas, we never would have gotten hidden immunity idols, or advantages, or any other number of surprises that keep players on their toes.

The next big twist that could dramatically alter the landscape of the game moving ahead for years to come will be unveiled when Survivor: Winners at War premieres Feb. 12 on CBS. While most of the attention on the season is naturally focused on the 20 returning winners (see their new photo portrait gallery here), the introduction of a Survivor currency is arguably a bigger deal in terms of the impact it could have on the show as we know it.

That currency comes in the form of something the show has dubbed “fire tokens.” What the heck are fire tokens and how do they work? We spoke to Jeff Probst out on location in Fiji, and the host explained that the fire tokens concept is not seen as a one-season deal, but rather something that could play a major role in the society-building we see on the island for Winners at War and beyond.

“One of the things we wanted to accomplish with 40 was to try to find some ground that might give us room to play going forward,” says Probst. “So we went back to the basic idea: Survivor is about a society that forms, and they form their own rules. And they decide who stays and who goes home. And over time, every society ends up having a currency. So we’re looking to add another layer to the society with a Survivor currency in the form of fire tokens.”

So how do the tokens play into the game? “Think of tokens as money,” Probst explains. “And the way it works is, everyone starts with one. And when you are voted out you have to will it or bequeath it to somebody still in the game as you head to the Edge of Extinction.” But while players still in the game are then gathering the fire tokens of those who are voted out, that doesn’t mean they have all the power. Rather, it gives the active players the opportunity to barter with those now on the Edge of Extinction.

“Now players in the game have tokens,” continues Probst. “People on the Edge have nothing. But what the Edge does have are advantages — that are of no value on the Edge of Extinction but are very valuable in the game. So it becomes supply and demand. I have what you want in terms of an advantage. I’m going to sell it to somebody in the game for your fire token. Your fire token gives me what I need because it allows me to buy an advantage in that return challenge to get back into the game. So now we have a true economy in which you have what I need, and I have what you want. And here’s the price and I’m offering to sell it to you.”

Much like the way money buys power in the real world, fire tokens will now offer an opportunity for advancement in the Survivor one. But it’s not quite as simple as that. Because a key component of the fire token transaction will be targeting the right people for the exchange. “The next layer is, as the game progresses, and you’re on Extinction, you don’t really know who has tokens left,” says Probst. “You don’t know what’s been happening over there. So I’m offering to sell to somebody, hoping that they either have enough money — and, if not, they can borrow it — or go into cahoots with somebody to get enough, because they have only until sundown to pay for it. And otherwise, it’s over. I don’t get anything for the advantage. They don’t get the advantage. I don’t get my tokens.”

Probst tells EW the deal is done completely in secret: “I would send you the advantage, and it says ‘This advantage has this power and it costs this many tokens. You have until sundown to pay for it. If you don’t, it goes away and no deal is done.’ So as the game gets deeper, these advantages become more valuable. Because there’s only a few people left, and they all want them. Which means I can charge more for them. And the more I charge, the more tokens I get. That helps me, because I’m trying to get back in to catch you. You need me. I need you. I got what you need, you got what I want. Supply and demand. It will ebb and flow. And the idea is, if it works, in future seasons, who knows? Maybe you’re not looking for idols, you’re looking for tokens. And with tokens, you buy whatever you need. That’s the big idea.”

It’s important to note that in Winners at War, players on a tribe can also pool their tokens to purchase food, items, or advantages by presenting them at any challenge. The items initially available are coffee and pastries (3 tokens), a small bag of beans (4 tokens), a regular bag of rice (5 tokens), two pillows and blankets (4 tokens), a tarp (5 tokens), or an advantage in the challenge (4 tokens).

Whether the fire tokens become a permanent part of Survivor or just end up as a one-and-done probably depends on how it plays out on Winners at War. It’s a big gamble. Then again, what about season 40 is not big?
post #21 of 75 Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM

Survivor: Winners at War new cast photo gallery

https://ew.com/tv/survivor-winners-a...photo-gallery/

post #22 of 75 Old 01-15-2020, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

This whole shtick on "Survivor is about a society that forms" is simply something I don't buy .. I know that description has been pressed over time by the Producers, notably Probst, but exactly what kind of society is it .. ?? "Social Experiment" is another term that gets thrown around ..

Players freely say "I'm not this way in Real Life, but hey, it's a Game for a Million Bucks .." so, where's the society .. ??

The Game is not some deep Human Condition ..

If it is a society, it has a closer resemblance to "Lord of the Flies" ..
MikeKlim likes this.

Uncle Willie

Last edited by mgkdragn; 01-15-2020 at 03:33 PM.
post #23 of 75 Old 01-15-2020, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

.. So now, players will apparently be able to buy a doughnut and coffee, at challenges, with their "fire tokens" ... Hmm.... when will they get to rent a tablet, and 'surf the net.....
post #24 of 75 Old 01-15-2020, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
.. So now, players will apparently be able to buy a doughnut and coffee, at challenges, with their "fire tokens" ... Hmm.... when will they get to rent a tablet, and 'surf the net.....
Yeah,

"Hey, man, did we just float by a Starbucks on the way in .. ??"

"Dude, it's a Society, remember .. ??"

Uncle Willie

post #25 of 75 Old 01-15-2020, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 755
I don't know if they are still allowed a luxury item to be brought, but I would go on the show and bring a motor home. No one is going to vote off the guy with a shower and beds and possibly a working TV.
cardoski likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #26 of 75 Old 01-15-2020, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked: 3068
Should be interesting, Natelie is my winner pick, just a random guess. Love to see Kim win.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #27 of 75 Old 01-16-2020, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like there will be enough eye candy to go around.

post #28 of 75 Old 01-21-2020, 10:27 AM

Jeff Probst on the conversation that made Survivor: Winners at War happen

The host reveals the person most responsible for the battle of the champions.

For years, I’ve been asking Survivor host Jeff Probst about doing an all-winners season, and for years, he was lukewarm at best on the prospect, explaining that he didn’t think they could get enough great winners back to make it work. Then, in 2018, he told Mara Reinstein of Us Weekly that, “We can’t do all winners. As a producer, I would never suggest it. I would say it’s not a good idea.”

So when the show then invited 20 champions back just a year later for a Winners at War season, the obvious question became: What changed? I asked Probst exactly that right as season 40 began filming, and the host and showrunner explained what changed his mind while revealing the man most responsible for making it happen.

“Here is the history of an all-winners season,” says Probst. “For the last maybe 10 years, several people have said, ‘I’ll never play again, because I know I can’t win. I’ve already won. I’ve already got a great track record.’ So I would just mentally note, ‘Oh, there’s another one who’s out. There’s another one who’s out.’ So anytime somebody would bring up an all-winners season, I would say, ‘Well, there’s a lot of great players who won’t play so we really don’t have that good a group.’ And it came up just last year and I said, ‘CBS wants to do it and I don’t think it’s a good idea.’ That was still how I felt.”

Cut to a few months later once Probst was back in Los Angeles after filming on season 38, Survivor: Edge of Extinction. “One day, I go to CBS, I sit in the office of the president of CBS, Kelly Kahl,” remembers Probst, “And he says, ‘You know, we let you do your thing, right? For 40, we really like an all-winners season. What do you think?’ And I said, ‘Well, the thing is, so many of the people we want won’t come back.’ And he said, ‘Well, have you asked them recently?’ And I said, ‘Nope. That’s a pretty good idea!’”

That started a flurry of phone calls, and when the calls started, Probst was surprised — and pleasantly so — by what he heard: “I went home and started calling people, and one by one they all said yes. So I’ve never been so happy to eat my words. I wrote down: ‘Producing 101. Always ask.’ I learned a lot of lessons because I had locked in on Parvati, Rob, Amber, Yul — all these people who were out there saying they would never go out there. That’s the only reason. It’s not that I didn’t want to do an all-winners season. I didn’t want to do an all-winners season without some of the truly great winners. And we have every single one of them.”

Of course, the higher guarantees — with each player promised a minimum of $25,000 for playing — may have helped in the effort to bring many of the legends back. Whatever the reason, Probst is thrilled that he was wrong about winners not wanting to return, and so are we.

https://ew.com/tv/2020/01/21/survivo...deo-season-40/

post #29 of 75 Old 01-21-2020, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
DAKAL (Red tribe)
Tyson Apostol
Sophie Clarke
Sandra Diaz-Twine
Wendell Holland
Yul Kwon
Sarah Lacina
Amber Mariano
Kim Spradlin-Wolfe
Tony Vlachos
Nick Wilson

SELE (Blue tribe)
Natalie Anderson
Danni Boatwright
Jeremy Collins
Ben Driebergen
Michele Fitzgerald
Adam Klein
Rob Mariano
Parvati Shallow
Denise Stapley
Ethan Zohn
post #30 of 75 Old 01-21-2020, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingclancy View Post
DAKAL (Red tribe)
Tyson Apostol
Sophie Clarke
Sandra Diaz-Twine
Wendell Holland
Yul Kwon
Sarah Lacina
Amber Mariano
Kim Spradlin-Wolfe
Tony Vlachos
Nick Wilson

SELE (Blue tribe)
Natalie Anderson
Danni Boatwright
Jeremy Collins
Ben Driebergen
Michele Fitzgerald
Adam Klein
Rob Mariano
Parvati Shallow
Denise Stapley
Ethan Zohn
Sarah Lacina / Tony Vlachos == Instant Alliance .. (IMO, anyway)

Uncle Willie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page