AVS Forum banner

2020 Formula 1 in HD

46K views 953 replies 52 participants last post by  gprace 
#1 · (Edited)
2020 Formula 1 Racing in HD

Dedicated to Steve Wishinsky 1966-2016 R.I.P.

#123 ·
Ted was pleased. He said that RDS TSN, Canadian TV, has turned up to Winter Testing for the first time in about 20 years Ted has been covering it. With a Canadian owned team and two Canadian drivers, it's a real Canadian renaissance!

#127 ·
Wow, Mercedes with a new wrinkle in steering. Lewis can pull or push the steering wheel in and out a little now and you can see a small movement in the tires, in the angle they are sitting on the track. So far its claimed its legal, though some say it changes the suspension while the car is moving. Interesting stuff, its incredible how technical F1 cars are. If this remains legal and if it works and gives them an advantage i can see the other teams rushing to try to incorporate this into their cars!!

Reactions: Tack and BGLeduc
#129 ·
This is very interesting. Having mucked around with static toe settings for autocross and track purposes, the description of its affect in this article are spot on.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/51576106

But there is nothing new here, other than the fact that to my knowledge no one has tried driver controlled variable front toe before. I wonder why that is?

On a road car, there is some change in toe from the static setting under braking and under acceleration, but obviously it is subtle and not driver controlled. I ran pretty aggressive toe out at one time on my 2nd Gen RX7 for AX, and while it improves turn in, it is handful to drive on the street as the car will follow changes in the crown of the road. That, plus it eats the inside edge of the front tires for breakfast.

#133 ·
#142 · (Edited)
Yesterday I posted about Karma. Now Racing Point is doing like a certain person and throwing out accusations to deflect. Ridiculous. Racing Point has been complaining about Haas for years. Chalie Whiting and his successor said they were within the rules. I used to like the plucky little team, but now I think I would prefer to cheer for a Briatore team.:eek:

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/20...aas-are-trying-to-circumvent-the-regulations/
https://www.joeblogsf1.com/joesaward/id/00709
Interesting, but please don't use made-up abbreviations like that, F1 is technical and complicated enough as it is! Ta :)

I've just been watching the morning's session. In Commentary the team and Ted speculated about the toe-in adjustment. You could use it to heat up tyres more on a warm-up lap for example, in Qualifying on some tracks they have to do two warm-up laps because they struggle to get heat into the tyres. If you could increase the toe-in you could get a lot more heat just when you need it. May not even be used in a race, who knows. Equally sometimes the tyres overheat, so being able to reduce the toe-in can help cool tyres. Very clever either way, and it's just the sort of surprise innovation, that no-one saw coming, that we love!

edit2: Yep I subscribe to Marc Priestly's YT channel. Way behind on the episodes! He used to work for McLaren, don't you know! He's very shy of mentioning it ;)

#144 ·
The only difference between a change of toe angle and regular steering movement is the former moves the tires anti-parallel and the latter moves them in parallel. In other words, if steering is not a suspension adjustment neither is this system. Then again, FIA is quite fond of rather strained interpretations of technical regulations to ban things they don't like.

#148 ·
We're really being spoiled by the testing coverage on Sky. I hope you guys are able to see it (F1 TV?).
https://motorsportbroadcasting.com/2020/02/20/f1-tv-subscribers-to-receive-richer-offering-in-2020/

As part of the announcement, F1 also confirmed that subscribers to their over-the-top platform will receive an improved live timing experience.

The improved experience for fans was clear from the first seconds of testing, with a more detailed view of lap times for each driver.

From a graphics perspective on-screen, testing now feels like an extension to a race weekend: the timing wall, split times, on-board angles, and team radio all on offer as proceedings opened in Barcelona.

In fact, it was the second day of testing when coverage came into its element: revealing the ‘Dual Axis Steering’ (DAS) device on the new Mercedes W11, only noticeable via on-board camera angles.

Mercedes would have successfully hidden the device until Australia just two years ago, something that is now impossible thanks to the level of coverage F1 is giving testing.

You can criticise live coverage of testing all you want, but on days like today, it proved its use to both fans and journalists, giving F1 publicity that it would have not received in previous years.

As was the case twelve months ago, personnel from Sky and F1 formed the hybrid team for testing, with nine people live on-air during the first day of running.

Alex Jacques, Jolyon Palmer, Rosanna Tennant, and Tom Clarkson represented F1’s in-house digital output, with David Croft, Rachel Brookes, Natalie Pinkham, and Ted Kravitz joining from Sky, Kravitz back for testing after his absence last year.

Laura Winter was the ninth person on-screen during day one, Winter joining the F1 team during ten race weekends in 2020, whilst Will Buxton also featured during the second day.

#150 ·
That has been F1 since its inception. Engineers developing ideas and the FIA banning them. The main difference is how coverage has change the business. Nowadays most new ideas are "discovered" pretty soon and, depending on how it would help and/or hinder certain teams, decisions are taken. Take DAS for example, the FIA has informed that the system appears to be legal and it will be used, as of now, by any team able to replicate what Mercedes has done, until 2021 that is, when it will certainly be banned... If they are going to ban it anyway, Why wait until 2021?

#151 · (Edited)
Let's be clear about this. Some articles are being written as if the FIA have "reacted" and "rushed out a new set of regulations" banning it for next year in 1 day flat, which is ludicrous!!

It's not the case that the FIA said this week - "right, ok well done but we're going to ban it, but only from next year". That's not what has happened.

The 2021 regs are clear that the steering wheel can only move in one direction, ie rotate, so pulling it in and out isn't allowed. The 2021 regs are clear and have been for ages. They are a big change, people need to be designing the cars already, no-one wants late changes to 2021 regs now.

The current regs, however, do allow it and are not written the way the 2021 regs are. But that doesn't mean it's a "loophole" either. Merc ran it past the FIA at the design stage ages ago, as any sensible team would.

So Merc always knew this would only be for 1 year. I think it's great :)

#157 ·
Wow what a fool I was. A year ago I watched the first episode of Drive To Survive on Netflix then somehow forgot to watch the rest!!! The last two days I have been watching, I have now seen 7 of them, and these are blowing me away. So well done, and great photography too. Gonna finish season one today!!! When does season two start?

#158 ·
You are very lucky! Season 2 will be available from this Friday, so you don't have long to wait. The rest of us have been waiting for the whole year :). They aren't doing the stupid "drip drip" thing that some streaming services have annoyingly started to do. The entire season will land together.

Guenther Steiner is the real star of the show, isn't he? :). He's been mobbed by fans in the paddock at the tests last week and this week. He refuses to watch it because he doesn't like seeing himself on TV, so it's really funny that he's bemused by the attention. He doesn't realise he's such a star! :)

I want to re-watch Season 1 again before Season 2, it's certainly good enough!

#160 ·
There are some Dutch youtubers who post regular Drone-cam videos of the track to monitor its progress - pretty much every week! :)

#168 ·
MotoGP now on NBC Sports.
In my opinion and many others, the best racing of all. Now on a major TV network:
Great news! Saw this was scheduled to record on my Tivo (I have an old wishlist for MotoGP that I never deleted after it moved to crappy beIn sports) and can't wait.

Generally speaking, the worst MotoGP race is about as good as the average F1 race. There are times when Marquez or someone else runs away with it but there is usually lots of good dicing up front. It's very rarely an F1-type processional. And the times when there's a good fight up front, hoo boy you'll see plenty of position swapping. Great stuff.

#170 ·
Just started watching Season 2 of the F1 doc on Netflix. Always gets me excited. So I always want to go out and drive my F1 car (not really) like a madman...:D...almost ten years of ownership and still does it for me. High-revving V10 and single clutch automated 7-speed gearbox.

#171 ·
Later I get to watch the first episode of the second season of Drive To Survive. I tried this afternoon, watched five minutes and fell asleep on the couch, woke up, started it again, fell asleep for a longer time. I am way too good at falling asleep on the couch in the afternoon, its just so much fun to be old. Oh well, i will try again tonite or tomorrow!!!

At least i did finish the first season, i enjoyed it immensely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.