Dispatches From Elsewhere on AMC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #1 of 64 Old 01-14-2020, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2939
Dispatches From Elsewhere on AMC

Jason Segel Anthology Series ‘Dispatches From Elsewhere’ Gets AMC Series Order

AMC has greenlit Dispatches From Elsewhere, an hourlong anthology series created by and starring Jason Segel in his return to television. The network will make the announcement during its portion of TCA today.

Dispatches From Elsewhere, which will feature elements across multiple platforms, is about a group of ordinary people who stumble onto a puzzle hiding just behind the veil of everyday life. They will come to find that the mystery winds far deeper than they ever imagined.

Segel will executive produce with Scott Rudin, Eli Bush and Garrett Basch for AMC Studios. Filming is slated to begin in early 2019.

This is Segel’s first TV role since he starred on the hit CBS comedy series How I Met Your Mother for nine seasons. It also is the first TV series created by Segel who has written/co-written such movies as Forgetting Sarah Marshall, The Muppets and Sex Tape.

“AMC has a proven history of finding shows that rise above, in every sense, and we think Dispatches from Elsewhere will be an incredible addition to that club,” said David Madden, president of original programming for AMC, SundanceTV, and AMC Studios. “This is a very special project based on a truly unique premise and peopled by vivid characters, all driven by Jason’s wildly creative vision. We’re thrilled for audiences to see this bold, witty and enthralling series.”

Dispatches From Elsewhere was developed under AMC’s scripts-to-series model. Earlier this year, AMC Studios opened a writers room for the project, which generated multiple scripts. Recent AMC series that have taken that path to screen are Dietland, Lodge 49 and the upcoming NOS4A2.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/jason-s...er-1202435813/
RobKnapp likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 Old 01-14-2020, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Season 1 trailer:

post #3 of 64 Old 01-17-2020, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

‘Dispatches From Elsewhere’: Jason Segel Talks Casting Trans Actress Eve Lindley As Love Interest & Possibilities For Season 2 – TCA

UPDATED with trailer. AMC’s forthcoming Dispatches From Elsewhere is an interesting series. The 10-episode anthology created by and starring Jason Segel is a self-reflective, transcendental series about a group of ordinary people who stumble onto a puzzle hiding just behind the veil of everyday life. The series also stars Outkast’s Andre Benjamin, Oscar-winning actress Sally Field and breakout Eve Lindley. All were on hand at TCA to talk about the new series.

Through its nuanced, Michel Gondry-esque storytelling, Segel aimed to do an “artistic check-in”. For almost a decade, he said “Who I was was dictated to me for the longest time — and I wanted to explore that.” While doing so, he created his show and, in turn, subtly created an inclusive space for trans characters and women.

In Dispatches From Elsewhere, Lindley plays his love interest, Simone and for the first time in her career, she connected deeply with the character who, like her, is trans. “I read the script and I was so moved,” she said. “It was one of the best depictions of a trans character I ever read. I felt close to her. Jason allowed me to interject a lot of myself into her.”

She added that this was the first time she had seen a trans woman played as a love interest and loveable. “It was a full, well-rounded character,” she said.

Segel points out that his mentor Judd Apatow taught him that it’s all about the casting and who you can explore the scenes with. In one scene, he was improving with Lindley and he said she made the character more nuanced than he wrote it. “She’s so much more complicated than I realized,” he said.

Lindley responded slyly, “She always is, Jason.”

Field, who is a veteran of film and TV later talked about how she got involved in the series but then went into opportunities for women in the industry, talking about how difficult it is for older women to find roles. “You go to where the work is…I am fine with the level of work,” she admits. “Do I want big and complicated roles for older women? Sure — but then I wish for a lot of things. I wish we weren’t in this horrible climate change and I wish we had another president. You do what you do when you can.”

Since it is an anthology, there’s an expectation that there will be a new story and new roster of characters in the second season. However, Segel is keeping things under wraps when it comes to the future of Dispatches From Elsewhere.

“I actually don’t want to give too much away if we are lucky enough to continue,” he said. “It’s an exciting experience — we’ll see where it goes.”

Segel directed the first episode and serves as executive producer alongside Scott Rudin, showrunner Mark Friedman, Garrett Basch, Eli Bush, Jeff Freilich and Alethea Jones. The series also stars Richard E. Grant. The series premieres March 1 with a second episode airing the following evening on its regular timeslot of Monday, March 2.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/dispatc...ca-1202833200/
Zookster likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 64 Old 02-21-2020, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Dispatches From Elsewhere: Opening Minutes of the Series Premiere - Premieres March 1

post #5 of 64 Old 02-21-2020, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 2202
I'm confused about the term "anthology series," especially in this context. It tends to make me think of shows like Twilight Zone or Black Mirror, where each episode totally stands alone. But this sounds more like Fargo, where just the season is stand alone, correct?
WilliamR likes this.
post #6 of 64 Old 02-21-2020, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I'm confused about the term "anthology series," especially in this context. It tends to make me think of shows like Twilight Zone or Black Mirror, where each episode totally stands alone. But this sounds more like Fargo, where just the season is stand alone, correct?
That is the way I understood it.

post #7 of 64 Old 02-22-2020, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I saw the trailer and am very intrigued. It has great potential.

I'm wondering about the "anthology" label, too. The trailer made it seem like the same cast appear in the whole series. Maybe the trailer is only for the first episode?
post #8 of 64 Old 02-28-2020, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Dispatches From Elsewhere is so mysterious that star Sally Field can't even describe it

Sally Field has essentially done it all over her illustrious 55-year career: She’s won two Oscars and three Emmys, been nominated for a Tony, directed a feature film, and starred in everything from Lincoln to The Amazing Spider-Man. But the one thing she can’t do is describe her new mysterious AMC series Dispatches From Elsewhere.

“I couldn’t,” admits Field, 73. “I just couldn’t describe it. If you had to sit me down and I was going to like spill the beans and tell you every single turn of events, I don’t think I could. It’s very unique, and that’s what drew me to it in the first place.”

Well, we’ll give it a try: Created by How I Met Your Mother star Jason Segel, the “spooky adventure” series follows four strangers who yearn for something more, until they are brought together by a “treasure hunt” and the game’s captivating frontman (Richard E. Grant). Joining Field and Segel in this unlikely group are André Benjamin and Eve Lindley.

“Even thought there is mystery upon mystery upon mystery, I always felt that it was about the relationship that these four people end up having,” says Field. “These characters would not only never know each other but would basically look at each other from across the street and not want to know each other. But, ultimately, they affect each other so greatly that they change each other, and, in some symbolic way, wouldn’t that be great if we could do that in this world and this country, and just sit down and talk to everybody and realize, ‘Wait a minute, we’re actually not that different from each other.'”

Field says she was so struck by the adventure and dynamic between the main protagonists that her character, Janice, barely factored into her decision to sign up for Dispatches. “It really wasn’t about the character,” she says. “The character in some ways was a generic character and it was my task to not make her not generic. And since I was the only 70-year-old woman around I had to be very insistent on, ‘Wait a minute, 70-year-old women, we don’t do that, we do do this.’ I had to bring that character alive and off the page and not as somebody we’ve seen a gazillion times.”

Dispatches marks the second eccentric show in a row for Field, who also starred on Netflix’s trippy Maniac. For that 2018 miniseries, she joined because of her affinity for star Emma Stone and director Cary Joji Fukunaga. It was different for Dispatches, considering she wasn’t too familiar with those involved, at least until she got some help from a younger generation.

“I didn’t really know Jason’s work very well, and I knew André’s work a little bit because my granddaughters went, ‘Just please, get on your Spotify right this minute,'” she says with a laugh of Benjamin, half of the legendary hip-hop group Outkast. “And I went, ‘Oh, of course, that’s Andre!’ I had to put those pieces together. But I liked slightly being out of my own comfort zone.”

https://ew.com/tv/2020/02/28/dispatc...e-sally-field/

post #9 of 64 Old 02-29-2020, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My scheduled recordings show that the first two episodes are on back-to-back nights, this Sunday and Monday
post #10 of 64 Old 03-01-2020, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 700
OMG...I am LOVING it! Awesome. Diabolically funny satire; sort of a hip, full-throttle trip down a rabbit hole. Almost indescribable...it's like David Lynch and Monty Python had a baby! Viewers with a liberal sense of the absurd and fans of Jason Segel have the advantage of a head start; others will be reaching for the remote while muttering "WTF?"
Josh Z, nottenst, Zookster and 1 others like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #11 of 64 Old 03-01-2020, 10:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 657
Got me a few times. Any production that includes and makes multiple uses of Phosphorescence's "Song for Zula" - one of my favorites - is a winner.
post #12 of 64 Old 03-02-2020, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 398
post #13 of 64 Old 03-02-2020, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
OMG...I am LOVING it! Awesome. Diabolically funny satire; sort of a hip, full-throttle trip down a rabbit hole. Almost indescribable...it's like David Lynch and Monty Python had a baby! Viewers with a liberal sense of the absurd and fans of Jason Segel have the advantage of a head start; others will be reaching for the remote while muttering "WTF?"
So I guess having a liberal sense of the absurd makes me a "libturd"?

The tone and style of the show also reminded me of Netflix's Maniac, but instead of a pharmaceutical experiment you potentially have a social experiment.

I was a bit wary at first, though I should've known better, that this would be another of those "average lonely guy with boring routine life gets mixed up in some crazy adventure and in the process learns stuff about himself and life" stories. I still think that's part of it, but the introduction of Simone, Janice, and Fredwynn should add new wrinkles to that trope. I liked how they each viewed what has happening from a different perspective (conspiracy, game, prank, real), and tonight it looks like we'll get Simone's story.

Time to practice my Divine Nonchallance as I draft an email to a work client.
Al_the_xmtr_tech likes this.
post #14 of 64 Old 03-02-2020, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4998 Post(s)
Liked: 3987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
The tone and style of the show also reminded me of Netflix's Maniac, but instead of a pharmaceutical experiment you potentially have a social experiment.
I can definitely see the comparison, but something about this weird show has grabbed me much quicker and stronger than Maniac, which I gave up on about halfway through.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #15 of 64 Old 03-02-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I can definitely see the comparison, but something about this weird show has grabbed me much quicker and stronger than Maniac, which I gave up on about halfway through.
Maniac didn't introduce Sally Field's character early enough.
post #16 of 64 Old 03-03-2020, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I got a kick out of the opening scene in the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Having worked in a major art museum for 12 years, I thought it was well done and believable, even the part about talking to the Berthe Morisot painting. (I'm sure that's not unusual for gallery guards/docents who spend hours a day standing around often-empty galleries.) You'd be surprised how many shows/movies don't get something as simple as this scene right.

This show seems to be getting more Maniac-like in that this scavenger hunt game/social experiment appears to be designed to get the characters to take a deeper look at themselves, face their fears/inner demons, and develop personally.

From what little we've seen of her, I really like Sally Field's character, and I'm looking forward to next week's Janice-centered episode.
post #17 of 64 Old 03-03-2020, 08:17 PM
** Man of Leisure **

Mentioned: 453 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12128 Post(s)
Liked: 7226
Wow! I wish they would hurry up and legalize pot in Texas. I definitely would have enjoyed some smoke before watching the first two episodes. Regardless, I am hooked!
archiguy likes this.
post #18 of 64 Old 03-04-2020, 05:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I thought the trailers looked interesting so decided to give it a try. I'm hooked. Looking forward to seeing Sally Fields' story next week.

And IMO, Eve Lindley steals every scene she's in.
archiguy and Zookster like this.

post #19 of 64 Old 03-06-2020, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post
I thought the trailers looked interesting so decided to give it a try. I'm hooked. Looking forward to seeing Sally Fields' story next week.

Looks kinda like a woman, voice sounds like a man.

Karl S.
post #20 of 64 Old 03-06-2020, 06:54 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Looks kinda like a woman, voice sounds like a man.
You are aware that the actor is Trans, aren’t you?
post #21 of 64 Old 03-06-2020, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You are aware that the actor is Trans, aren’t you?

Took me about 30 seconds to figure that out.

Karl S.
post #22 of 64 Old 03-06-2020, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4998 Post(s)
Liked: 3987
It's acknowledged in the second episode that the character is as well.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #23 of 64 Old 03-07-2020, 06:11 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6738 Post(s)
Liked: 7583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post
This ^. Eve is the best part of this show. She lights up the screen every second she's on it. I've never seen her before, but surely this isn't her first big gig. She's just too good.
post #24 of 64 Old 03-07-2020, 06:20 AM
** Man of Leisure **

Quote:
Yes, there were flashbacks showing a young boy.
post #25 of 64 Old 03-07-2020, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

IIRC, Lindley also played a transgender character in several episodes of Mr. Robot.

post #26 of 64 Old 03-07-2020, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6738 Post(s)
Liked: 7583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
IIRC, Lindley also played a transgender character in several episodes of Mr. Robot.
I saw every episode of that show but don't remember the character. My bad.
post #27 of 64 Old 03-07-2020, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I saw every episode of that show but don't remember the character. My bad.
From a season 2 Mr. Robot ep, playing "Carla," a pyromaniac/Dark Army terrorist Elliot first meets in jail:

archiguy and Zookster like this.

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 03-07-2020 at 07:35 AM.
post #28 of 64 Old 03-07-2020, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1134
Didn't she also play the president's sister-in-law part on Designated Survivor? Very well done, she's been great in this show.

Agree with poster above that this show is really about how these folks evolve, the plot is just the mechanism to do so. And it's certainly a wacky one.
post #29 of 64 Old 03-07-2020, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Yes, there were flashbacks showing a young boy.
It wasn't the kind of thing where if you blink you could miss it. The main point of the second episode was to show her struggles with putting herself out into the world (both physically and emotionally) since her gender transformation.

Kudos to Jason Segel for creating a co-lead role for a transgender character/actor. On TV with few exceptions, we mostly see transgender characters in much smaller roles, sometimes as quirky oddball types or as comic relief (like in the above referenced Mr. Robot role). Simone's character is very well done and believable and, as mentioned above, well cast.
post #30 of 64 Old 03-10-2020, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Another great episode. Sally Fields’ performance was both excellent and heartbreaking. I’m honestly caring less about the mysteries and more about the characters. Here’s hoping Fredwyn’s episode is as good as the first three.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page