The Plot Against America HBO March 16, 2020 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 3 Post By archiguy
  • 1 Post By mgkdragn
  • 1 Post By TitusTroy
  • 2 Post By rdclark
  • 1 Post By NewAger
  • 1 Post By archiguy
  • 3 Post By slowbiscuit
  • 1 Post By thehun

post #1 of 14 Old 01-25-2020, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3113 Post(s)
Liked: 4124
The Plot Against America HBO March 16, 2020

Could not find an official Trailer on HBO .. this Alternate History series should be good .. the Philip Roth novel was excellent

What is it? The Plot Against America imagines an alternate American history told through the eyes of a working-class Jewish family in New Jersey. The story follows the family as they watch the political rise of Charles Lindbergh, an aviator-hero and xenophobic populist, who becomes president and turns the nation towards fascism.

Who’s in it? The ensemble cast will include: Winona Ryder as Evelyn Finkel. Evelyn is unmarried, her plans arrested by 10 years of caring for her infirm mother, and is hungry to find her own place in life. The sudden attentions of a key Lindbergh supporter — the politically ascendant clergyman, Rabbi Lionel Bengelsdorf — are exhilarating and transformational for her

Zoe Kazan as Elizabeth “Bess” Levin, younger sister to Evelyn. An insightful mother and homemaker, who fears for the future as she tries to protect her family from the escalating political climate and plan a possible escape for the forces that seem to be threatening her world.

Morgan Spector as Herman Levin, the proud and opinionated father, who works as an insurance agent and tries to maintain normalcy in the life of his family and friends even as his country seems to be slipping into fascism, anti-Semitism and xenophobic isolationism.

Anthony Boyle as Alvin Levin, the angry and intelligent orphaned nephew to Herman. He allows political differences with his family, personal grudges and resentments, and his own abhorrence of hypocrisy and cant to drive him from street crime to the battlefields of Europe and back.

Azhy Robertson as Philip Levin, the youngest of the Levin family. Philip copes with his own innocent curiosity and growing anxiety in a world that seems to be collapsing around him, both at home and in the streets.

Caleb Malis as Sandy Levin, the Levin’s artistic teenage son, who rebels against his family and his father in particular as his adolescence becomes entangled with his growing admiration for Lindbergh — a stance encouraged by his beloved Aunt Evelyn’s guidance.

John Turturro as Rabbi Lionel Bengelsdorf, a conservative rabbi and a transplant from Charleston, S.C. where he gained his first synagogue pulpit and became a widower with the death of his affluent wife. Bengelsdorf seizes the reins of history to become a key figure in the emergent Lindbergh administration — despite growing opposition within the Jewish community as a whole.

Who’s behind it? The new six-part miniseries hails from David Simon and Ed Burns — the team behind The Wire and miniseries Generation Kill. Simon and Burns will both serve as writers and executive producers on the series.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-25-2020, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
If you like alternative history, check out "The Man In The High Castle" on Amazon, and "Fatherland", an HBO movie from some years ago starring the late Rutger Hauer.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #3 of 14 Old 01-25-2020, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6587 Post(s)
Liked: 7346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Could not find an official Trailer on HBO .. this Alternate History series should be good .. the Philip Roth novel was excellent

Who’s behind it? The new six-part miniseries hails from David Simon and Ed Burns — the team behind The Wire and miniseries Generation Kill. Simon and Burns will both serve as writers and executive producers on the series.
This one had me at "David Simon". One of the most brilliant guys working in the business today. If he and Ed Burns are involved, that's as close to "Must See TV" as you're going to find.
mgkdragn, Keenan and slowbiscuit like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-25-2020, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post
If you like alternative history, check out "The Man In The High Castle" on Amazon, and "Fatherland", an HBO movie from some years ago starring the late Rutger Hauer.
"High Castle" is great .. "Fatherland" would be worthy of a re-make .. I don't think it ever came out in any disc form, VHS only .. but, now that you've jogged my memory, I may check HBOGO and see if maybe a remastered version is available ..
Rolls-Royce likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 14 Old 01-25-2020, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

I've always had a certain affinity for Alternate History shows that are well done .. it's good to imagine what if scenarios .. I don't consider shows that take place in the Future to be Alternate History ..

Uncle Willie

post #6 of 14 Old 01-25-2020, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5585 Post(s)
Liked: 5069
it'll be nice to see David Simon tackle something like this...normally he likes to do these gritty, real world, pseudo-documentary style shows like The Wire, Treme and most recently The Deuce...very well done but it was all starting to feel the same...good to see him try something different
NewAger likes this.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-26-2020, 03:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
I

Quote:
I've always had a certain affinity for Alternate History shows that are well done .. it's good to imagine what if scenarios .. I don't consider shows that take place in the Future to be Alternate History ..
For All Mankind on Apple TV+ is as good an alternate history as has ever been made for TV. Its premise is “what if Russia got out ahead of the USA in the space program in the 1960s?” Renewed for a second season. There’s a thread around here somewhere, but I’ll just endorse it as extremely realistic faux-historical fiction on Earth, in orbit, and on the Moon that has elements of social commentary, family dynamics and psychological drama, with terrific visuals, superb acting, and a very clear and focused vision from a top-tier genre writing/directing staff led by Ronald D. Moore.
NewAger and archiguy like this.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-26-2020, 05:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 166
So many of these alternative history stories are being brought to television that I think people are starting to get bored of the simulation in which we live.
Josh Z likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-26-2020, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6587 Post(s)
Liked: 7346
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
So many of these alternative history stories are being brought to television that I think people are starting to get bored of the simulation in which we live.
Oh, how I wish it was a simulation.
Keenan likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-26-2020, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1106
Quote:
This particular alt-hist may be a lot closer to current hist than we care for. Might be why Simon is taking it on, as a warning.
archiguy, Aliens and Keenan like this.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 2441
post #12 of 14 Old 01-30-2020, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 4844 Post(s)
Liked: 3767
Quote:
"Fatherland" would be worthy of a re-make ..
As I recall, the original novel by Robert Harris was quite good. The HBO adaptation was... well, it was a pretty typical mid-1990s TV movie. It didn't come close to doing the book justice.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 2441
post #14 of 14 Old 02-19-2020, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
This particular alt-hist may be a lot closer to current hist than we care for. Might be why Simon is taking it on, as a warning.
yup one man's "apocalypse" is another one's meme.
PooperScooper likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

You want true diversity? Champion the diversity of thoughts!

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page