• 2 Post By Zookster

post #1 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 94
AT&T TV - Launch 2/27/2020

AT&T TV: Everything You Need to Know About the Streaming Version of AT&T’s Premium Pay TV Service

Daniel Frankel, Next TV, 2/12/2020

Replacement for DirecTV satellite TV now set to launch nationwide February 27

AT&T TV, the streaming version of the telecom’s premium full-bundled pay TV service and its longterm replacement for DirecTV satellite TV, will launch nationwide February 27.

News site Cord Cutter News confirmed the date — emails by Next TV to AT&T reps have yet to be responded to. Publicly, AT&T has more broadly targeted this month for the nationwide deployment. It hasn’t specified a date, but sources had pegged it for February 11.

AT&T TV is being positioned as the balm for the wireless giant’s recent pay TV subscriber struggles. AT&T lost another 1.2 million customers across its DirecTV, U-verse and AT&T Now platforms in the fourth quarter alone. It has lost round 5 million satellite and IPTV video customers since 2016.

“As we move through this year and we start shifting to AT&T TV, our gross add performance starts to get much stronger,” AT&T COO John Stankey told investment analysts during the company’s Q4 conference call in late January.

AT&T is indeed bullish on the prospects for AT&T TV, which requires a proprietary Android TV-based set-top box and is delivered over the open internet, but is self-installed and requires no onsite technician support or pricey satellite launches.
AT&T sees AT&T TV as the cornerstone of its fiber-to-the-home broadband product, which now has 4 million customers. AT&T is hoping to have around 3 million more of them by 2022, and being able to bundle in a premium pay TV service is part of that business equation.

“Naturally, when you're able to put AT&T TV, a software-based product with fiber, it's a much more natural combination than a satellite dish and fiber. And so, as we start to roll out AT&T TV now in markets and we move in, we're going to see much stronger performance on the fiber side,” Stankey said.

AT&T TV is currently being sold in a handful of markets. In November, AT&T TV was deployed in New York City, Seattle, Minneapolis and Miami. That added to a list of nine “pilot” markets that were initiated in August; Orange and Riverside, California; Topeka, Kansas; Wichita, Kansas; El Paso, Texas; Odessa, Texas; Corpus Christi, Texas; St. Louis; Springfield, Missouri; and West Palm Beach, Florida.

It’s widely assumed that AT&T TV will shove aside AT&T Now, the rebranded version of DirecTV Now virtual MVPD service that was launched with great fanfare in 2016 and grew quickly to nearly 2 million users—some of them paying money!—before AT&T pulled back its aggressive promotional fueling efforts for the service.

AT&T TV is starting out with a one-year promotional price of $50 a month, delivering over 70 channels, including ESPN, as well as 500 hours of HD DVR service—an offering that totally undercuts AT&T Now. (AT&T TV’s price shoots up to a very pricey $93 a month after that first year.)

AT&T TV has three very traditional looking tiers, stepping through and to $55- and $65-a-month price tiers (these are first-year prices). All of them allow Google Assistant voice control through an Android TV interface. The full flora and fauna of OTT apps, including Netflix of course, is available through Google Play. Each of the three AT&T TV apps is offering three months free of HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz and Epix at signup.

The mid-level “Premium” tier of AT&T TV—which bumps up to $110 month after the $65 first-year price—adds more than 20 additional channels, including Sundance, the Tennis Channel and MLB Network.

The top-end Xtra tier of AT&T TV, which tops out at $124 a month after a first-year price of $75, adds an additional 20-plus networks over the midlevel Premium tier, including the Golf Channel and National Geographic Wild.

Notably, in the fine print of the AT&T TV marketing page, a top-end “Ultimate” tier is also described, priced at $80 for the first year and a whopping $135 a month subsequently.

Each of the three AT&T TV tiers requires the traditional 24-month contract, meaning users will have to pay handsomely to cancel service early. And not include in the AT&T TV price for the mid-level Choice tier and above is the $8.49-a-month “regional sports fee” subscribers will have to pay.

Also, the first AT&T TV set-top is free, but adding devices for other rooms is going to tack on a monthly fee.
Again, AT&T TV is packaged more as a traditional pay TV service, with all the requisite gouges, rather than a forward-looking OTT platform.

After paying nearly $50 billion five years ago to get into the satellite TV business, AT&T is looking to AT&T TV to usher it out of it. We’ll see how it goes, ostensibly starting February 27 with the national launch of AT&T TV.

“When I look at what's happening from an operational performance perspective and what the team is doing on gross add improvements, what we're seeing in churn improvements, the rollout of AT&T TV that really hits its stride in the second quarter in terms of its availability across the customer base,” Stankey added. "We’ll start to see those subscriber trends incrementally improve as those capabilities start to roll into the base. And we'll get to what I just indicated by the time we exit the year.”
I WANT MORE likes this.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5014
the fact that it requires a 2 year contract is a big turn-off...
Zookster and Keenan like this.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
the fact that it requires a 2 year contract is a big turn-off...
Quote:
Also, the first AT&T TV set-top is free, but adding devices for other rooms is going to tack on a monthly fee.
Again, AT&T TV is packaged more as a traditional pay TV service, with all the requisite gouges, rather than a forward-looking OTT platform.
There is a lot that is a big turnoff. It's about identical in appearance to conventional multichannel providers offerings, which have been in decline for years.

I don't understand how they think this is going to work. AT&T Now was a big flop. Unless AT&T really switches this up, this will be a big flop too.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 640
If it can't give me the same functionality as my D receivers I have zero interest. I have 4 HR units that total abut 1T of storage, I watch 2 streams at once, flipping back and forth, and I insist on a 30 second skip. Without that forget it. Price ends up about the sames as I"m paying now.
post #5 of 13 Old 02-12-2020, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Looks a lot like DirecTV delivered via the internet instead of through satellite.

A hard pass here.
dtv757 likes this.

Current system:
Sony 75X900e/Sony STR-DN-1080, CS-3/CS-8/CS5
Sony X800 4K blu-ray player/Dish Hopper3
Roku 4 Premier/Sony PS-4
post #6 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Does this new service offer sports subscriptions like NFL ST , and MLB EI?

What about 4k programming/ live sports events ?

And also I agree it's good for some but others who have inferior broadband and or monthly data limits this new delivery may not work .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OWN PERSONAL OPINIONS AND IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM REPRESENT
Bell Atlantic or its Subsidiaries | @dtv757
post #7 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1961 Post(s)
Liked: 2041
This thread probably belongs in the Networking, Media Servers, Content Streaming area. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ent-streaming/
dtv757 and allargon like this.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
This thread probably belongs in the Networking, Media Servers, Content Streaming area. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-ne...ent-streaming/
I think there's already a discussion there under the Direct TV thread.

post #9 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1603 Post(s)
Liked: 1920
What would the Prez say "a dumpster fire"!

What would compel a person to sign up for this great package deal?

"Any year the Pats don't get to the SB is a good year"
post #10 of 13 Old 02-13-2020, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Following some of the marketing on this the past few months, AT&T would claim it's not intended for cord-cutters, but (as another poster above alluded), basically Directv through the internet rather than a satellite dish. Presumably the thinking is it may appeal to those who want Directv-like service but can't mount a dish for whatever reason. Or maybe it might appeal to those Directv users who like the service but are losing patience with quirky Genie equipment.

The Osprey box beta testing seems to have been a mixed bag. The picture quality is supposedly really good, but the box apparently forces HDR on 4k TVs for all content regardless of channel. Some say the 5.1 Dolby has issues.

The above issues, along with a 2 year contract and pricing will likely make it a hard sell.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-14-2020, 12:29 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked: 3999
"AT&T TV is starting out with a one-year promotional price of $50 a month, delivering over 70 channels, including ESPN, as well as 500 hours of HD DVR service—an offering that totally undercuts AT&T Now. (AT&T TV’s price shoots up to a very pricey $93 a month after that first year.)"

It calls for a two-year contract so let's just dispense with the BS marketing price and call it what it is, $71.50 per month. You gotta love the marketing dept.

Last edited by Keenan; 02-14-2020 at 05:40 AM.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-14-2020, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 15073
^^^^^^^ Click that '> Edit' button!

Cover my entire bodice with Avon Cologna!
post #13 of 13 Old 02-14-2020, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked: 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
^^^^^^^ Click that '> Edit' button!
No kidding, $71:50 per year would have me banging down the door to sign up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page