Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 34Likes

post #1 of 47 Old 02-27-2020, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 2679
Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime

Inspired by the wondrous paintings of Simon Stålenhag, Tales from the Loop explores the mind-bending adventures of the people who live above the Loop, a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe – making things previously relegated to science fiction, possible.

Premieres April 3, 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV/Production Notes (Streaming)
Amazon Orders Matt Reeves-Produced Sci-Fi Series ‘Tales From the Loop’
By Tim Baysinger, TheWrap.com - Jul. 17, 2018

Amazon Studios has greenlit, “Tales from the Loop,” an hour-long science-fiction series executive produced by “War for Planet of the Apes” director Matt Reeves.

The genre series is based on the famous artwork of Simon Stålenhag. A co-production with Fox 21 Television Studios, the eight-episode series will be helmed by executive producer Nathaniel Halpern, with Mark Romanek directing the pilot episode.

“Tales from the Loop” explores the town and people who live above “The Loop,” a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe — making things possible that were previously relegated only to science fiction. In this fantastical, mysterious town, poignant human tales are told that bare universal emotional experiences while drawing on the intrigue of genre storytelling.

“I was immediately intrigued by the idea of bringing Stålenhag’s incredible paintings to life, but it’s Nathaniel’s deeply inspired vision for this world, and the stories he has created from an incredibly passionate and emotional place, that will drive this series and its storytelling. Together with Mark’s brilliant visual sensibility and unique point of view, it makes this a truly exceptional project and the perfect one to partner with Amazon in our studio’s first direct-to-series order at the streamer,” commented Jane Francis, EVP of Fox 21 Television Studios.

Reeves will executive produce “Tales from the Loop” under his Sixth & Idaho company with Adam Kassan and Rafi Crohn also on board as executive producers. Reeves is set to direct Warner Bros.’ upcoming “The Batman” standalone feature (that may or not star Ben Affleck as the Caped Crusader. Earlier this year, he set a first-look deal with Netflix, but was based at Fox before that.

“Simon Stålenhag’s paintings are renowned for their vision of a not-too-distant, futuristic landscape. We are looking forward to bringing that to life and sharing it with our Prime Video audience,” said Albert Cheng, Co-Head of Television, Amazon Studios.

https://www.thewrap.com/amazon-serie...from-the-loop/

Posters attached from Stålenhag's twitter: https://twitter.com/simonstalenhag/s...20982816129027
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tales-from-the-Loop-poster-1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	550.9 KB
ID:	2690944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tales-from-the-Loop-poster-2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	556.5 KB
ID:	2690946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tales-from-the-Loop-poster-3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	532.6 KB
ID:	2690948  
SuperFist and dante1976 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old 02-27-2020, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked: 5659
story synopsis sounds good...visuals are impressive...sci-fi aspects...I'm in...so it's an original story based on a series of paintings/art book and they turned it into a story?...should be a visual showcase much like Alex Garland movies
post #3 of 47 Old 02-27-2020, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6899 Post(s)
Liked: 7814
Now, that looks interesting. I'm in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 Old 02-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Amazon really needs to start supporting Dolby Vision again...a show like this deserves the best HDR showcase...HDR10+ is not as good as DV...end these format wars and make HDR10 the standard and Dolby Vision the premium version
post #5 of 47 Old 02-28-2020, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
I am going to temper my excitement. While I love good sci-fi this might turn out to be to much of is it real or isn't it kind of thing. Might be hard for them to hold that line between quality sci-fi and art for art sake. Trailer looks intriguing though.

post #6 of 47 Old 02-28-2020, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Eric Heisserer, the guy who adapted Ted Chiang's Story of Your Life into Arrival, said this on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HIGHzurrer/statu...18904836403200
Quote:
I heard the pitch for this series 2 years ago and it’s one of the most compelling narratives I’ve heard. Not for everyone but right in my wheelhouse.
Keenan likes this.
post #7 of 47 Old 03-18-2020, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #8 of 47 Old 04-02-2020, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #9 of 47 Old 04-02-2020, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 2347
Looking at the episode list in a PC browser, I happened to notice the recommended age rating varies for each episode, from 7 years to 18. It doesn't really affect me, but I wonder how many families will think it's okay to start watching the first episode (rated age 13+) with their pre-teen kids, and then happen onto content they'd rather not have their children see with episodes rated 16+ and 18+. Five of the eight episodes are rated 7+ or 13+. I'm sure there's a rating/content advisory before each episode, but still. It's a bit confusing as the vast majority of shows have a consistent rating across all episodes.
post #10 of 47 Old 04-02-2020, 06:21 PM

Tales From the Loop is a little like Twin Peaks: The Return. Which isn’t to say the new Jonathan Pryce and Rebecca Hall–led series from Amazon, premiering April 3, is quite as experimental as David Lynch’s confounding masterpiece—but it is definitely the “I don’t quite exactly understand what is happening, but I am going to keep watching” show of the season...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...azon-interview

I'll definitely be checking this out eventually...sounds a bit like that new FX/Hulu series, Devs- a slow burn, intelligent story with sci-fi undertones not meant for a mainstream audience...
post #11 of 47 Old 04-03-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
I liked the first episode. It's a little different from "Stranger Things" which is what it has been compared to and maybe even stranger.

On another matter I'm wondering when Amazon is going to get around to dropping it's remake of the UK series "Utopia" (probably one of the best sci-fi TV series you may have never seen)? They wrapped filming back in August and unless they went effects crazy will which the original didn't call for it should be emerging soon. Unless given our current situation they're balking a bit given the topic of the series.
Keenan and SuperFist like this.
post #12 of 47 Old 04-05-2020, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I liked the first episode. It's a little different from "Stranger Things" which is what it has been compared to and maybe even stranger.

On another matter I'm wondering when Amazon is going to get around to dropping it's remake of the UK series "Utopia" (probably one of the best sci-fi TV series you may have never seen)? They wrapped filming back in August and unless they went effects crazy will which the original didn't call for it should be emerging soon. Unless given our current situation they're balking a bit given the topic of the series.
Watched the first episode as well, and it's not bad. Although I'll reserve judgement on the show until I watch the rest of the series.

And not sure when Utopia is going to be released, but I'm not expecting much from it. When Fincher was on-board I thought he could do justice to the material, but now I'm kind of blase about the whole remake thing.

Amazon should have just bought the original series and continued it with Dennis Kelly. Curious how they'll approach the cinematography and score, as the original show did a great (and unique) job with that.
Keenan and SuperFist like this.
post #13 of 47 Old 04-05-2020, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6899 Post(s)
Liked: 7814
I watched the first ep and was a little underwhelmed. I guess I was expecting, I dunno, more. Don't know if this is a pure anthology, with no real connection between episodes, or if there is some through-arc that will tie everything together.
post #14 of 47 Old 04-05-2020, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I watched the first ep and was a little underwhelmed. I guess I was expecting, I dunno, more. Don't know if this is a pure anthology, with no real connection between episodes, or if there is some through-arc that will tie everything together.

The episodes are connected but I'm two episodes away from finishing and this is definitely not upbeat feel-good sci-fi. It's still interesting though.

post #15 of 47 Old 04-05-2020, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
Watched the first episode as well, and it's not bad. Although I'll reserve judgement on the show until I watch the rest of the series.
Episode 3 was especially a hoot.
Quote:
And not sure when Utopia is going to be released, but I'm not expecting much from it. When Fincher was on-board I thought he could do justice to the material, but now I'm kind of blase about the whole remake thing.

Amazon should have just bought the original series and continued it with Dennis Kelly. Curious how they'll approach the cinematography and score, as the original show did a great (and unique) job with that.
If Utopia had played two years later Netflix or Amazon would probably have picked it up and shown it. The original has never played in the US as obviously blocking it was part of the HBO deal. I think in 2013 no one was sure a UK show would be popular in the US unless on PBS. They learned later it didn't matter. Did you see the second season? It dealt with the backstory of the father.
SuperFist likes this.
post #16 of 47 Old 04-05-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked: 1425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Episode 3 was especially a hoot.

If Utopia had played two years later Netflix or Amazon would probably have picked it up and shown it. The original has never played in the US as obviously blocking it was part of the HBO deal. I think in 2013 no one was sure a UK show would be popular in the US unless on PBS. They learned later it didn't matter. Did you see the second season? It dealt with the backstory of the father.
Yeah, I watched both seasons. The second season was okay, but I felt it wasn't nearly as good as the first season. But I'm also one of those people who sometimes prefers not knowing every specific detail in regard to a mystery or backstory ... sometimes vagueness is a plus. I kind of preferred not knowing everything about the father ... I like vague hints.

I'm in the US, so it was a bit tricky finding the show (watched it years ago), but I think some youtube-like streaming site had it at the time. Took some hunting to find it all.
post #17 of 47 Old 04-05-2020, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Tales from the Loop on Amazon Prime

2 episodes in so far. It’s ok, and has a bit of a Leftovers feel to it, or something(the score and pacing at least). Quite odd, but somewhat interesting so far.

Edit: I liked episode 3 quite a bit.

Last edited by Don S; 04-05-2020 at 06:43 PM.
post #18 of 47 Old 04-05-2020, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3994 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Agree

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #19 of 47 Old 04-06-2020, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 2232 Post(s)
Liked: 3162
Only one episode in and I am not all that thrilled with this. I didn't find it engaging or all that interesting. Seems to of thrown disjointed bizarre things in for no reason, like to be odd just for the sake of being odd. Was wondering if anyone who has seen more things the quality improves in later episodes or is the first one pretty much the same as the others?

post #20 of 47 Old 04-06-2020, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Only one episode in and I am not all that thrilled with this. I didn't find it engaging or all that interesting. Seems to of thrown disjointed bizarre things in for no reason, like to be odd just for the sake of being odd. Was wondering if anyone who has seen more things the quality improves in later episodes or is the first one pretty much the same as the others?

5 episodes in now. I find it hard to characterize actually. It’s still quirky and disjointed a bit. I don’t hate it though. But I also don’t love it. It’s interesting enough (intermittently) for me to keep watching, for now. I can also understand those who don’t like it.
WilliamR likes this.
post #21 of 47 Old 04-06-2020, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
5 episodes in now. I find it hard to characterize actually. It’s still quirky and disjointed a bit. I don’t hate it though. But I also don’t love it. It’s interesting enough (intermittently) for me to keep watching, for now. I can also understand those who don’t like it.
Like a PG-rated version of "Dark" in some ways. After two episodes though, I too am a little underwhelmed.

Elunevision 4K 112" Audioweave motorized screen, Epson Pro Cinema 4040 projector, Emotiva XPA-5 amplifier, Denon AVR X4400h receiver, XTZ M6 LCR, XTZ S5 surround, XTZ 1X12 and Definitive Technology Powerfield subwoofers, RSL C34E Atmos speakers, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic DP-UB820
post #22 of 47 Old 04-06-2020, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5198 Post(s)
Liked: 4259
I've watched the first two so far. The melancholy tone is very unusual for a TV series. It's working for me. I like it.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #23 of 47 Old 04-06-2020, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2183 Post(s)
Liked: 2347
I'm usually all about the dark stuff, but not sure if I want to add any more shows like that to my binge list right now. Is there any humor or moments of levity at all in this show?
post #24 of 47 Old 04-06-2020, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
I'm usually all about the dark stuff, but not sure if I want to add any more shows like that to my binge list right now. Is there any humor or moments of levity at all in this show?
No, next to zero humor. It's not exactly a dark show, but there is no levity and it has a particular mood/cadence for sure, and there are few happy endings. I guess overall, it probably is an emotionally dark series in all honestly. It's a different kind of dark I suppose. There's no terrible people doing bad things, but there's a profound lack of happiness throughout.

I didn't find this very satisfying, though it had it's moments. I found the endings of most of the episodes profoundly unsatisfying in the end.
iamian and Zookster like this.

Last edited by Don S; 04-06-2020 at 05:33 PM.
post #25 of 47 Old 04-06-2020, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I just finished episode 4, and it hit me hard. The episode revolved around Pryce and his grandson. I won’t go into details, but it may be the most simple and universal episode yet. Directed by Andrew Stanton, and cinematography by Ole Brat Birkeland (who also shot Utopia season 1 coincidentally). This was just a lovely hour of television. I can understand why some people aren’t into this. I’d call it contemplative sci-fi. But it’s hitting all the right notes for me. It might be because I grew up in the 80’s. And this somehow has a more realistic feel to its depiction of the era than other recent shows set around the same time, despite the sci-fi extras. It seems more reminiscent than nostalgic. It’s almost as if it’s truer to my memories of the era than other shows that idolize the pop culture that came from it. No, I didn’t live near a magic sci-fi factory. But the potential of finding something life changing in the patch of trees near my house was very real.
post #26 of 47 Old 04-07-2020, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Interesting reactions here, given what the exec producer was hoping to achieve:

Quote:
Executive Producer Nathaniel Halpern was never exposed to the RPG, only Stålenhag's art, although he was aware that the game existed. "So often science fiction can be somewhat cynical or serve to induce anxiety or fear or anger. With Simon's work, I saw a chance to tell poignant human stories with a bit of hope in them, and maybe provide a bit of comfort, which I think we could use a little bit of right now."
Those watching might find the story of how this series came to be quite interesting: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/...from-the-loop/
Keenan and Tack like this.

Last edited by Joseph; 04-07-2020 at 08:33 AM.
post #27 of 47 Old 04-07-2020, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked: 6922
I watched the first two. Hasn't done anything for me so far.
post #28 of 47 Old 04-07-2020, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 7250
I'm 2 episodes in. Will continue watching.

Spoiler!
post #29 of 47 Old 04-13-2020, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddUGA View Post
The episodes are connected but I'm two episodes away from finishing and this is definitely not upbeat feel-good sci-fi. It's still interesting though.
Yeah, definitely NOT upbeat - and I don't see the hope that the EP is talking about - pretty sad show actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Also, sort-of felt mild about this - I was told it all connected in the end - which it sort of does - but nothing really explained

Don't think I'll watch Season 2...I wanted to finish it since I watched half...

I honestly wouldn't complete this if you were luke-warm on Episode 1 and 2 - it doesn't go anywhere
Don S and Zookster like this.

Josh
post #30 of 47 Old 04-13-2020, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Watched the first episode; was going to drop it. I should watch episode 4?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page