Zero Zero Zero Amazon Original - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 03-12-2020, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2501 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
I finished the series last night and I found it to be one of the best streaming series available at the moment. It's a little hard to get into given the method of providing a backstory to the event but by the final episodes you are quite used to it. Having watched a bunch of the "narco" like series on Netflix I was a little ambivalent about watching another one but his show is a bit different. Well worth the watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 03-17-2020, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
I finished the series last night and I found it to be one of the best streaming series available at the moment. It's a little hard to get into given the method of providing a backstory to the event but by the final episodes you are quite used to it. Having watched a bunch of the "narco" like series on Netflix I was a little ambivalent about watching another one but his show is a bit different. Well worth the watch.
Your reco is why I'm going to try to stick with it. I'm two episodes in, and it is just very heavy. Very good, but very heavy, which makes sense given the creative team. Looks amazing in UHD HDR.
SuperFist likes this.
post #33 of 42 Old 03-18-2020, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 6478
Started watching this last night. Through 2 episodes it looks interesting.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 03-18-2020, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Totally agree; we finished it a couple nights ago, and loved it. Hopefully they’ll do a Season 2, as it’s got some compelling story lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PannyMann likes this.

________

LG OLED 77C8PUA...stunning!
LG UBK90 Ultra Player
Denon AVR-X2300W
post #35 of 42 Old 03-23-2020, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 6478
Finished this series last night. Definitely enjoyed it. No real "good guys" to save the day here, but a good story and great acting.

One major complaint: The subtitles get washed out when anything whitish was on screen behind them. Had to rewind a few times to try and reread.

Spoiler!
post #36 of 42 Old 03-24-2020, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2501 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
Finished this series last night. Definitely enjoyed it. No real "good guys" to save the day here, but a good story and great acting.

One major complaint: The subtitles get washed out when anything whitish was on screen behind them. Had to rewind a few times to try and reread.
I suppose it depends on what device you're using but on at least one of mine (I think the X700 UHD player) you can select different layouts for subtitles such as yellow text on black background.
post #37 of 42 Old 03-24-2020, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I suppose it depends on what device you're using but on at least one of mine (I think the X700 UHD player) you can select different layouts for subtitles such as yellow text on black background.
Yeah, I'm on Roku (built into TCL 6 series). You used to be able to change it on-screen. Now it says go to amazon.com/cc to change your CC settings. I had to change it to the one with the black background because of this series.
post #38 of 42 Old 03-24-2020, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 141
The unique locations and actors that were not a bunch of 'beautiful' people really added to the gritty realism. Can you imagine if this was cast as a Hollywood movie? Got used to the flashback style after the first few.
I do have a plot question from the first episode:
Spoiler!
Brian Conrad and Ben23 like this.
post #39 of 42 Old Today, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked: 3102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
...Now it says go to amazon.com/cc to change your CC settings. I had to change it to the one with the black background because of this series.
Does that actually work? I've watched the first 6 episodes on my Firestick 4K and the subtitles do not match how they're shown at amazon.com/cc Additionally, the Firestick 4K seems to show that subtitles are turned off. I figured they were burned into the video.

I haven't a clue why they didn't just push the subtitles into the black letterboxing below the video frame.

Edit: I was correct. Subtitles are turned off and the grey "subtitles" are in the video stream. Turning on subtitles adds the hearing impaired things like (Baby gurgles) following the CC formatting set on the Firestick 4K but doesn't change the grey subtitles. Maybe it behaves differently on other players.

Edit2: My Sony x700 UHD-BD player does the same thing. They are definitely in the video stream. They look really bad on the Sony when the stream starts at like 360p before it climbs up to UHD.

I sent a note to someone I sorta know at Amazon and asked them to pass along my feedback about the poor subtitle readability.

Last edited by Stereodude; Today at 07:33 AM.
post #40 of 42 Old Today, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Does that actually work? I've watched the first 6 episodes on my Firestick 4K and the subtitles do not match how they're shown at amazon.com/cc Additionally, the Firestick 4K seems to show that subtitles are turned off. I figured they were burned into the video.

I haven't a clue why they didn't just push the subtitles into the black letterboxing below the video frame.
Yeah, it worked for me. I am streaming on built in Roku (TCL 6 series). May be some differences.
post #41 of 42 Old Today, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked: 3102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben23 View Post
Yeah, it worked for me. I am streaming on built in Roku (TCL 6 series). May be some differences.
I updated my post after trying it. It doesn't work on the Firestick 4K. The subtitles are definitely turned off. They act as if they're burned into the video (not an overlay).

Did you watch the UHD HDR version?

Edit: I tried it on my Sony x700 UHD-BD player and it does the same thing as the Firestick 4K. The foreign language subtitles are definitely in the video stream. They look terrible when the x700 starts out at like 360p before it gradually ramps up to UHD HDR stream.

Last edited by Stereodude; Today at 07:23 AM.
post #42 of 42 Old Today, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1573 Post(s)
Liked: 6607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
The unique locations and actors that were not a bunch of 'beautiful' people really added to the gritty realism.
This is why I prefer UK and Australian TV... it's more realistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page