282Likes

post #1 of 374 Old 05-27-2020, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
HBO Max content

So just saw that Comcast cut a deal and Comcast customers can use their credentials to log into the HBO Max app., assuming they have HBO in their package.

Their launching original series is Love Life, which is getting panned.

Maybe I will check out the Loony Tunes. But they seem to have a big pipeline according to the Wiki entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ted_by_HBO_Max

Not really interested in the DC stuff, though maybe I'll check it out.

Boondocks I'd check out and maybe the UK series listed there.

Get with the 4K AT&T!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 374 Old 05-27-2020, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 983
I'm very disappointed that they are not going to carry the Cinemax original content like Strike Back and Banshee...

Bobby 

post #3 of 374 Old 05-27-2020, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked: 2408
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
I'm very disappointed that they are not going to carry the Cinemax original content like Strike Back and Banshee...
When HBO Max was first announced last fall, my understanding was it would put all TimeWarner, HBO, Cinemax, and DC Universe content under one roof. I know existing deals need to expire in some cases, but Strike Back and Banshee were pulled from Amazon Prime last week (as free for Prime members) along with all the HBO content, like True Blood, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, etc.. Where did those Cinemax shows go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 374 Old 05-27-2020, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6353 Post(s)
Liked: 5833
I think overall the movie content is solid, they just need some big original series...they have some nice deals in place with TCM, Ghibli etc which gives them the ability to put out a varied mix of content...unlike Disney+ where Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm are all basically PG friendly...HBO Max is probably the one best suited to topple Netflix in a few years, they just need to play the long game
NewAger likes this.
post #5 of 374 Old 05-27-2020, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I think overall the movie content is solid, they just need some big original series...they have some nice deals in place with TCM, Ghibli etc...it has the potential to put a scare in Netflix but it's going to take some time to build up a stable of catalog titles and originals
I’m surprised they have as many as they do in the pipeline.

Imagine they’re mostly drafting on HBO original shows, which on average are high quality. But HBO struggles to keep subscribers year round when tentpole shows aren’t being aired. So HBO Max still needs some draws.
post #6 of 374 Old 05-27-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I’m surprised they have as many as they do in the pipeline.

Imagine they’re mostly drafting on HBO original shows, which on average are high quality. But HBO struggles to keep subscribers year round when tentpole shows aren’t being aired. So HBO Max still needs some draws.
they need to leverage the critical acclaim of their HBO originals and combine that with some smart licensing deals (getting back all the Harry Potter movies was brilliant, Friends and Big Bang Theory are really popular so that was another huge win etc)...Netflix churns out so much content that people tend to forget that most of it is crap...they get a bunch of hits just from sheer numbers...I actually think Amazon Video is primed for a huge momentum swing as they have a lot of really good sci fi and fantasy series in the pipeline

Disney is going to start out strong because of their SW, MCU, Pixar catalog but can they keep it up?...I see HBO Max and Amazon making huge strides over the next few years...if HBO Max can get a lot of their older originals like The Wire or Sopranos in 4K then that would be amazing
longhorn23 likes this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 05-27-2020 at 05:46 PM.
post #7 of 374 Old 05-27-2020, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Liked: 2043
Not on the Roku. The only way I can watch it, so far, is online.
jcr159, idiotcontrol and NewAger like this.

"Don't blame me -- I voted for Kodos." Homer Simpson
post #8 of 374 Old 05-27-2020, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 278
They definitely made some questionable decisions with this launch. Why do HBO Go, HBO Now, Max Go/Streaming, and DC Universe continue to exist? Why didn't they nail down things with Amazon, Roku, and Dish (j/k) before launch? Sigh.

Sent using Tapatalk
Stanton, mldardy and longhorn23 like this.
post #9 of 374 Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Nice that it comes at no additional cost to the HBO add-on for my Hulu Live package. Not so nice that it's not yet on Roku.

Movie selection is very good, and of course it is packed with great legacy TV series. There's a strong foundation here.
post #10 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 03:36 AM

my issue with HBO Max is that there's so much Warner Bros. content that should be available that isn't...they also own Boomerang but only a small fraction of that catalog is currently available...I'm sure over time they will add them but as a Day 1 experience it's very underwhelming- it's pretty much the same HBO I had last week but with a slightly expanded library
longhorn23 likes this.
post #11 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 3343
I get HBO Max free through Spectrum.

I really like the interface, flows well. The little bit of content I watched so far has phenomenal picture quality and looks awesome on my TV. I tried watching it through multiple platforms including the Xbox One X, looks great.

Content is really lacking right now and nothing jumps out at me as much watch. I hope that changes soon. Being free, I am happy with it, can't ask for more since I am not paying. If I paid $15 a month, I think I would feel ripped off.

post #12 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 1206
There really are two entirely different sets of criteria by which to evaluate this.

One: If you were already a customer. In this case, you were watching the linear channels and/or using HBO Go. In that case, this is just HBO Go with more content, at no extra cost, and sure, why not? It was already good enough for you to be paying for it, and now it's better. Or you were paying for HBO Now, and now you get this instead for the same price.

Two: You are deciding to add this to your suite of streaming sources, or swap it in place of something else, like Netflix or Hulu. In which case it's a much tougher decision that has to be made based on (1) are you compelled by the content, current and promised, and (2) does it offer the technical quality you desire. The lack of UHD and Atmos is a dealbreaker for some of us, especially when considering replacing Netflix with it.

(All of this is of course influenced by whether your streaming device supports HBOMax. The lack of support for some major devices, and the number of weird workarounds needed with others, is unbecoming what's supposed to be a top-tier service.)

I'm getting HBO via Fios, so I'm happy to have the new content, which I can stream on my AppleTV 4k at no additional cost. I don't think I would have paid anything extra for it, because of the dearth of original content, the very basic technical quality, and my lack of interest in most of the extra stuff. I did want to re-watch the early seasons of BBT, though, so I'm pleased about that.
Don S, Zookster and longhorn23 like this.
post #13 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 06:39 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7008 Post(s)
Liked: 7992
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
I did want to re-watch the early seasons of BBT, though, so I'm pleased about that.
BBT?

As an aside, this drives me crazy, assuming everyone just knows what these acronyms mean. How much extra time does it take to just type out the title? Don't we all have a lot of time on our hands these days?
Josh Z, mscottc, tvrbob86 and 2 others like this.
post #14 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
BBT?

As an aside, this drives me crazy, assuming everyone just knows what these acronyms mean. How much extra time does it take to just type out the title? Don't we all have a lot of time on our hands these days?
Big Bang Theory
archiguy and longhorn23 like this.
post #15 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I get HBO Max free through Spectrum.

I really like the interface, flows well. The little bit of content I watched so far has phenomenal picture quality and looks awesome on my TV. I tried watching it through multiple platforms including the Xbox One X, looks great.

Content is really lacking right now and nothing jumps out at me as much watch. I hope that changes soon. Being free, I am happy with it, can't ask for more since I am not paying. If I paid $15 a month, I think I would feel ripped off.

The interface is OK but not as much important info on selections that some of the standalone apps for content has. For example the detailed descriptions and professional critiques for the movies on TCM (as well as some other TCM “groupings”) are missing from the Max app. For TCM I’ll stay with the TCM app for now.
post #16 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
I think overall the movie content is solid, they just need some big original series...they have some nice deals in place with TCM, Ghibli etc which gives them the ability to put out a varied mix of content...unlike Disney+ where Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm are all basically PG friendly...HBO Max is probably the one best suited to topple Netflix in a few years, they just need to play the long game

HBO is full of original series. The rollout could have been better by associating an new series with the launch. But so many things about the launch has been convoluted and poorly handled (as compared to other recent streaming launches) that your observation is what many folks may assume.
longhorn23 likes this.
post #17 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

Two: You are deciding to add this to your suite of streaming sources, or swap it in place of something else, like Netflix or Hulu. In which case it's a much tougher decision that has to be made based on (1) are you compelled by the content, current and promised, and (2) does it offer the technical quality you desire. The lack of UHD and Atmos is a dealbreaker for some of us, especially when considering replacing Netflix with it.

This is true. Every new service that comes out gets touted somewhere as "the Netflix killer", etc. Netflix does have lots of content that isn't great, but they have plenty that is pretty good IMO, and they are immensely popular. And the have 4K HDR and ATMOS on a fair amount of new programming. The key distinction between Netflix and just about ALL of the rest is this: Netflix has a huge train of NEW content, almost constantly. As a user, you may not like it all, but you'll probably like some of it. Disney + has almost nothing I care about that is NEW, other than the Mandelorian. Hulu has a few good new ones, HBO MAX will have some (outside of normal HBO series), I guess we will see.

Also not having any 4K at launch is such a joke, but utterly predictable for AT&T. (Oh and no Roku or FireTV at launch too, typical AT&T [email protected]%**).
allargon, jcr159 and longhorn23 like this.
post #18 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 139
yeah, i'm all roku here, and super peaved....

any word on timing?

Have a question and want it answered in podcast format?
[email protected]
http://www.avrant.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/avrant
post #19 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
HBO is full of original series. The rollout could have been better by associating an new series with the launch. But so many things about the launch has been convoluted and poorly handled (as compared to other recent streaming launches) that your observation is what many folks may assume.
HBO originals and Max originals are 2 separate entities...that's what I meant by Max needing more originals...HBO already had their own originals available through HBO Go/Now etc...every streaming platform needs a big original series that gets associated with them- Stranger Things on Netflix, Mandalorian on Disney+, Handmaid's Tale on Hulu, for Amazon I would like to say The Expanse but it's probably Marvelous Mrs Maisel based on all the awards and critical praise it has gotten

everything on linear HBO will be on HBO Max but not vice versa...the Max original series along with all the Ghibli, TCM etc content will not be on linear HBO
Don S and longhorn23 like this.

Last edited by TitusTroy; 05-28-2020 at 08:31 AM.
post #20 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
HBO originals and Max originals are 2 separate entities...that's what I meant by Max needing more originals...HBO already had their own originals available through HBO Go/Now etc...every streaming platform needs a big original series that gets associated with them- Stranger Things on Netflix, Mandalorian on Disney+, Handmaid's Tale on Hulu, for Amazon I would like to say The Expanse but it's probably Marvelous Mrs Maisel based on all the awards and critical praise it has gotten
Exactly.

p.s. Jack Ryan on Amazon gets lots of buzz
longhorn23 likes this.
post #21 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcr159 View Post
yeah, i'm all roku here, and super peaved....

any word on timing?
They are ready, but who knows exactly when .. https://www.cnet.com/news/warnermedi...azon-and-roku/

"It is still unclear when exactly AT&T will reach deals with Amazon and Roku. "It could be days, it could be longer," says Forssell. "But everybody I think is operating in good faith and so I'm optimistic."
post #22 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
p.s. Jack Ryan on Amazon gets lots of buzz
true but I think Maisel gets all the awards alongside the critical buzz...S1 of Jack Ryan got a lot of buzz but I don't think S2 was as well received
post #23 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5302 Post(s)
Liked: 4390
Quote:
every streaming platform needs a big original series that gets associated with them- Stranger Things on Netflix, Mandalorian on Disney+, Handmaid's Tale on Hulu, for Amazon I would like to say The Expanse but it's probably Marvelous Mrs Maisel based on all the awards and critical praise it has gotten
Amazon doesn't have a specific flagship series yet, though it tried to fit Jack Ryan into that position to mixed success. Fleabag and Mrs. Maisel are probably its two most acclaimed originals. I think they have high hopes for the upcoming Lord of the Rings series.
TitusTroy likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #24 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5302 Post(s)
Liked: 4390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
When HBO Max was first announced last fall, my understanding was it would put all TimeWarner, HBO, Cinemax, and DC Universe content under one roof. I know existing deals need to expire in some cases, but Strike Back and Banshee were pulled from Amazon Prime last week (as free for Prime members) along with all the HBO content, like True Blood, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, etc.. Where did those Cinemax shows go?
Cinemax content is being foisted off to YouTube TV. It seems that the current regime considers Cinemax to be the company's ugly, unwanted stepchild. They abruptly canceled all of the network's original programming earlier this year with no notice, and can't even be bothered to fold its existing library into HBO Max. At the very least, you'd think that The Knick had enough acclaim to merit a nice position in the new streaming service, but apparently not.

I don't think the Cinemax brand will be around for much longer.
Zookster likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #25 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I don't think the Cinemax brand will be around for much longer.
HBO is still using the Cinemax name for it's new streaming platform...HBO Max is actually a pretty cool name...much better then calling it HBO+ and way better then 'Peacock' (the NBC streaming app)
longhorn23 likes this.
post #26 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Not on the Roku. The only way I can watch it, so far, is online.
It's a no go on Rokus and FireTV Sticks. I was able to activate HBO Max through my Xfinity account on my Samsung tablet and stream it to my Nvidia Shield TV tube. It was actually the only device that my tablet's Web Video Cast steaming app picked up. It will usually will find any device connected to my network so the HBO Max app effectively locks out all other devices. Using the tablet was OK but I found it to be a bit cumbersome. As usual there are money issues between HBO's masters at AT&T, the streaming devices and other cable providers. There isn't even the ability to trick the Shield TV to let you use HBO Max through your Xfinity account like you can with HBO Go. Anyone shocked by this? It looks like Xfinity will be adding HBO Max to X1 boxes at some point, probably called up with a remote control voice command.

Last edited by Cal1981; 05-28-2020 at 09:40 AM.
post #27 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 09:57 AM

Here’s Everything Coming to HBO Max in June

https://www.thewrap.com/heres-everyt...o-max-in-june/
longhorn23 likes this.
post #28 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

On my 4th gen Apple TV (not Apple TV 4K), the HBO Max app. seems smoother than the HBO Go app, particularly the home screen where it will sometimes take a few seconds to load the most current HBO shows.
post #29 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 1319
Quote:
true but I think Maisel gets all the awards alongside the critical buzz...S1 of Jack Ryan got a lot of buzz but I don't think S2 was as well received
Yeah, Season 2 was pretty good but it just didn't have the same excitement vibe as S1. Maybe the Middle Eastern terrorist story line in S1 was more accessible to viewers.
post #30 of 374 Old 05-28-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
Yeah, Season 2 was pretty good but it just didn't have the same excitement vibe as S1. Maybe the Middle Eastern terrorist story line in S1 was more accessible to viewers.
I found S2 to be disappointing from a story standpoint...even the picture quality was a noticeable step down from S1 which had reference quality Dolby Vision...S2 used standard HDR10 and didn't have the same eye candy
longhorn23 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page