America's Got Talent, Season 15 (2020), NBC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 05-29-2020, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 296
America's Got Talent, Season 15 (2020), NBC

So, any idea how this season is going to work? Are they going to do like American Idol and just have finalists perform via video? If the season has been shut down, then what is the point in even starting to air the auditions?

Oh, and who the hell were those two Ruth Bader Ginsburg lookalikes in the audience that the camera had to keep showing? Not only was it confusing, it was downright annoying. Stop with this hokey bull****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-29-2020, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 3343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Imp View Post
So, any idea how this season is going to work? Are they going to do like American Idol and just have finalists perform via video? If the season has been shut down, then what is the point in even starting to air the auditions?

Oh, and who the hell were those two Ruth Bader Ginsburg lookalikes in the audience that the camera had to keep showing? Not only was it confusing, it was downright annoying. Stop with this hokey bull****.
I thought I read something that eventually they will do the performances with no audience.

post #3 of 40 Old 05-30-2020, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I thought I read something that eventually they will do the performances with no audience.
If NBC thinks that we want to watch multiple shots of the crowd like they did this first show, then good riddance to the audience.

Side note, since Howie was a germaphobe to begin with, this must be his worst nightmare. I saw a pic of him wearing a full hazmat suit when this all first started going down. I'd be surprised if he even can force himself to leave his house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 05-31-2020, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
Quote:
If NBC thinks that we want to watch multiple shots of the crowd like they did this first show, then good riddance to the audience.
Are you new to AGT? They've been doing those audience shots from the beginning. But I agree, it can be incredibly frustrating when they cut away from an act to show the audience. This is especially true when we get to the live shows when everything is on the line. There are frustrating things about AGT, but it remains a guilty pleasure for us in the summertime.
WilliamR likes this.
post #5 of 40 Old 05-31-2020, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Are you new to AGT? They've been doing those audience shots from the beginning. But I agree, it can be incredibly frustrating when they cut away from an act to show the audience. This is especially true when we get to the live shows when everything is on the line. There are frustrating things about AGT, but it remains a guilty pleasure for us in the summertime.
It wasn't the audience in and of itself. While I do think it's unnecessary as they add nothing to a show (same for The Masked Singer), my annoyance was those two old ladies who were obviously plants to put on some stupid show. "Oh, we're so annoyed at the people cheering behind us. Oh wait, now we're so into this performance." We saw more of those two women than we did the act on the stage. Hokey bull**** like that is what annoys me and is ridiculous to show.
post #6 of 40 Old 05-31-2020, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
It wasn't the audience in and of itself. While I do think it's unnecessary as they add nothing to a show (same for The Masked Singer), my annoyance was those two old ladies who were obviously plants to put on some stupid show. "Oh, we're so annoyed at the people cheering behind us. Oh wait, now we're so into this performance." We saw more of those two women than we did the act on the stage. Hokey bull**** like that is what annoys me and is ridiculous to show.
The two old ladies were twins, just like the artists on stage. There was one more quick look at another set of twins, much younger and better to look at, a little later in that act. They were obviously playing off the twins act...

Bobby 

post #7 of 40 Old 06-03-2020, 12:41 PM

The amount of times that they cut to the audience or judges seems more excessive this season. Who cares to see Howie say "Oh" and point to the act or the very annoying Sofia blow them a kiss? I am here to watch the acts, not the judges/audience. Very frustrating.
Aliens and Mark12547 like this.

post #8 of 40 Old 06-04-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The audience reaction shots have really become absurd, more annoying, distracting and so numerous as to lose continuity of the act on stage. The magic act suffered particularly the other night. The cuts destroyed the magic and have made the show pretty much unwatchable for me.
Mark12547 likes this.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #9 of 40 Old 06-04-2020, 12:45 PM

i agree with the golden buzzer this week, that little girl was amazing, especially for being 10.

While you could tell how the magician was doing those discs, it still looked really cool. That is, the times we got to see him instead of the judges.
JoeNc and Aliens like this.

post #10 of 40 Old 06-05-2020, 04:32 AM

Quote:
i agree with the golden buzzer this week, that little girl was amazing, especially for being 10.

While you could tell how the magician was doing those discs, it still looked really cool. That is, the times we got to see him instead of the judges.
Yes she was. Another 'child' who has the voice of a much older person. Definitely deserving of the GB.

The magician was scary fast. Look forward to more appearances.
WilliamR likes this.
post #11 of 40 Old 06-05-2020, 06:29 AM

What did you all think of Bonavega? When he first came out and started I said to my wife that this is going to be horrible. However, I hate to admit it but I loved it. His voice was actually pretty good, liked the song he sang and liked his over the top performance. Sort of reminded me of a Freddy Mercury over the top kind of performance.
Tom Imp likes this.

post #12 of 40 Old 06-05-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
What did you all think of Bonavega? When he first came out and started I said to my wife that this is going to be horrible. However, I hate to admit it but I loved it. His voice was actually pretty good, liked the song he sang and liked his over the top performance. Sort of reminded me of a Freddy Mercury over the top kind of performance.
Very surprising. He definitely had the entertainment factor going on. My wife said he reminded her of Prince Poppycock. I think it was the flamboyance.
WilliamR likes this.

Last edited by Aliens; 06-05-2020 at 08:11 AM.
post #13 of 40 Old 06-05-2020, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I had the same reaction to Bonavega. First thought, this is going to be awful. But, his honest personality came through and I found him quite entertaining and enjoyable.
WilliamR and Tom Imp like this.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #14 of 40 Old 06-05-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Very surprising. He definitely had the entertainment factor going on. My wife said he reminded her of Prince Poppycock. I think it was the flamboyance.
Prince Poppycock is one of my wife's favorites from past seasons.

post #15 of 40 Old 06-06-2020, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
The amount of times that they cut to the audience or judges seems more excessive this season. Who cares to see Howie say "Oh" and point to the act or the very annoying Sofia blow them a kiss? I am here to watch the acts, not the judges/audience. Very frustrating.
Audience reaction has always been part of the show but it does seem like they are overusing it this year. I thought the older twin ladies were cute the first couple of times but it did get old fast. Audience reaction and applause is so important to the premise of the show I don't know how they can continue once they get to the pandemic episodes, There is no way many of the performers can do their acts from home and I've heard they'll continue in the studio without an audience, for me that'll be like one hand clapping. it also seems the talent acts are a bit off this year.
WilliamR likes this.
post #16 of 40 Old 06-08-2020, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If I were in another room and she started singing that song, I honestly would have thought that was Lady Gaga herself. That was perfect and amazing.
WilliamR likes this.
post #17 of 40 Old 06-11-2020, 07:21 AM

Good episode this week.

It's going to be a great season for singers. When 13-year old Daneliya Tulestova spoke, I told my wife that we're going to have another adult sounding voice and that she was going to be really good, and she didn't disappoint.

Great laughs from the comedian, Marty Ross. He started slow, but ended with a bang.

Also liked the Demented Brothers act. The act reminded us of Tape Face.

I'm not sure I like giving the GB to someone who took two songs to get it right. If I would've given it to anybody on this weeks show it would have been Daneliya. But I guess giving it to a 'kid' singer two weeks in a row wouldn't balance out the GB acts.
WilliamR likes this.
post #18 of 40 Old 06-11-2020, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure I like giving the GB to someone who took two songs to get it right. If I would've given it to anybody on this weeks show it would have been Daneliya. But I guess giving it to a 'kid' singer two weeks in a row wouldn't balance out the GB acts.
I liked Cristina's version of In the Air Tonight just fine. I think Simon wanted her to get a golden buzzer because of her background and Air alone wasn't going to get it so he asked to sing another song. When she did her Gimme Shelter rendition I said Merry Clayton, step aside!

Bobby 

post #19 of 40 Old 06-11-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Good episode this week.

It's going to be a great season for singers. When 13-year old Daneliya Tulestova spoke, I told my wife that we're going to have another adult sounding voice and that she was going to be really good, and she didn't disappoint.

Great laughs from the comedian, Marty Ross. He started slow, but ended with a bang.

Also liked the Demented Brothers act. The act reminded us of Tape Face.

The demented brothers were soooo funny. We need that kind of act on the show. Shame Simon doesn't get that kind of humor.

The comedian started really rough, I said to my wife, uh oh, but man did he come back strong. Some great jokes.

I disagree with the golden buzzer, thought she was good but not GB worthy, but with that said not sure who really deserved it this week.

post #20 of 40 Old 06-11-2020, 08:47 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 482 Post(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked: 1462
I wonder how soon until the audience is missing from episodes.
WilliamR likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #21 of 40 Old 06-11-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
I wonder how soon until the audience is missing from episodes.
Howie was on a talk show I listen to and he didn't say exactly when but he did say that part way through the acts they had to stop production because of the pandemic. He made it sound like they didn't go on without an audience and had to shut the whole thing down before they got to the live rounds. He said they have been talking on how to proceed but haven't decided. He said at the end that it will come back when this all blows over. He made it sound like they are not starting back up until they are allowed to have an audience again.

post #22 of 40 Old 06-11-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Howie was on a talk show I listen to and he didn't say exactly when but he did say that part way through the acts they had to stop production because of the pandemic. He made it sound like they didn't go on without an audience and had to shut the whole thing down before they got to the live rounds. He said they have been talking on how to proceed but haven't decided. He said at the end that it will come back when this all blows over. He made it sound like they are not starting back up until they are allowed to have an audience again.
I would hope that NBC didn't start this season knowing there was a possibility, or even worse, knew they weren't going to complete it on time. If we get to the middle of July or August and episodes run out and we have to wait however many months to compete the season, I'm not going to be happy.
post #23 of 40 Old 06-11-2020, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I would hope that NBC didn't start this season knowing there was a possibility, or even worse, knew they weren't going to complete it on time. If we get to the middle of July or August and episodes run out and we have to wait however many months to compete the season, I'm not going to be happy.
Maybe you can film yourself and family members doing your hidden talents to help us fill in the void.
Aliens likes this.

post #24 of 40 Old 06-12-2020, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking similarly. What is the point of even showing this now since most likely there will be no live shows? Unlike American Idol, this is not something can be done over video.
post #25 of 40 Old 06-12-2020, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was thinking similarly. What is the point of even showing this now since most likely there will be no live shows? Unlike American Idol, this is not something can be done over video.
Because it takes up dead air and they might be hoping that audiences will be allowed by the time they get to live shows.

Bobby 

post #26 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 12:14 PM

I get the impression Heidi and Sofia do not like each other. They give each other some nasty/mean looks that I've never seen them give to other judges.

Any of the acts stand out this week for you guys?

post #27 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I get the impression Heidi and Sofia do not like each other. They give each other some nasty/mean looks that I've never seen them give to other judges.

Any of the acts stand out this week for you guys?
The only thing I noticed between the two was when Sofia said something about Heidi's accent, which was a joke because of her accent.

Waffle stood out the most, other than them, it was a pretty so-so night. The contortionist, puppet kid was good. The woman comedian was also good and would have advanced if she wouldn't have lost her place.

One thing I'm noticing this season is the volume is really low. I'm cranking my system up from +10 to +5. Anyone else noticing this?
WilliamR likes this.
post #28 of 40 Old 06-17-2020, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 68
liked the Siberian singers... was interesting and different ..
WilliamR likes this.
post #29 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 03:21 AM

I really liked the sword swallower, was pretty funny. The Siberian singers sure were different.

post #30 of 40 Old 06-18-2020, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Wow..I love this show, a real summer guilty pleasure I've loved from the start....but...I'm not impressed. The production values seem way less than in seasons past and it seems top loaded with singers, almost as if they were anticipating a shutdown. Its either four yes or not going through. Impressed with the diablo brothers but even still have seen the same thing, bigger, better...idk...
WilliamR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page