Battlestar Galactica on SciFi HD - Season 4 - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1951 of 10191 Old 10-09-2006, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

It was suppose to have been only 4 months not 14 since they left New Caprica.
He's in space I dont think he can order take out. Unless he was huge at the end of last season and I missed it.

As stated in another post, they spent a year in orbit after colonizing New Caprica. He was already a porker for the finale, and another few months have passed by since then.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 10191 Old 10-09-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

As stated in another post, they spent a year in orbit after colonizing New Caprica. He was already a porker for the finale, and another few months have passed by since then.

Thanks! I missed him being a porker in the finale.
post #1953 of 10191 Old 10-09-2006, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Thanks! I missed him being a porker in the finale.

No problem, he was in uniform and you could mostly tell by his face.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 10191 Old 10-09-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:

They are seriously stupid if they think they can control this new hybrid species any better than they can control us or that we we able to control them after creating them. (typing this quickly at work, hope that made sense).

Maybe creating the hybrid species (and/or fixing whatever it is that keeps them from being able to reproduce on their own) is the sum total of their current agenda.

Obviously, they can't control the hybrids any more than humans can control the children that they raise, but growing up, most of them will inherit the core beliefs and generic goals of the society that they grow up in. Raised by members of Cylon society, they'll grow to be members of Cylon society (whatever form that society takes). Some of them will probably want to change that society in ways that can't be anticipated.

Even now, they are not deterministic automatons (except in that they can be 'loaded" with irresistible directives, but humans have been given irresistible artificial compulsions as well). They are self-conscious beings, capable of autonomous learning and personal growth. If they replicate by childbirth moving forward, without every individiaul starting out with a set of stock memories, they will achieve the diversity required to become a species equal to mankind. Now, with only 12 models who come into being as adults with replicated memories, they are severely limited.

I wonder what the first self-aware "toasters" were like? How did they adopt a monotheistic religion? Why did they decide to remake themselves in the image of their creators?

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1955 of 10191 Old 10-09-2006, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
You know, it's funny, there is an unmistakable similarity between these discussions about Cylons and "human" can they be, and the often long-winded dissertations in any thread devoted to Blade Runner. Good stuff, just another thing that makes this show so good.
post #1956 of 10191 Old 10-09-2006, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Obviously, they can't control the hybrids any more than humans can control the children that they raise, but growing up, most of them will inherit the core beliefs and generic goals of the society that they grow up in.

Raised by members of Cylon society, they'll grow to be members of Cylon society (whatever form that society takes). Some of them will probably want to change that society in ways that can't be anticipated.

I wonder what the first self-aware "toasters" were like? How did they adopt a monotheistic religion? Why did they decide to remake themselves in the image of their creators?

Cylons were raised by humans and eventually went to war and attempted to wipe humans out. Not a good example :-)

How well do we follow the 'rules' our 'creator' has set out for us?

Did the human creators of AI which became the Cylons ever envision their evolution into what they became and what they are now? They Cylons can't possibly know what the end result will be.

If they give the hybrids the best traits of both species, what use will they have for either Human or Cylon?

Now if the creation of the new race and the extinction of the old races (in order to prevent the same war from occuring over and over again as it seems to have thus far) is their ultimate goal, I can see that. I don't see the Cylons being suicidal, they are too used to their 'immortal' status.

post #1957 of 10191 Old 10-09-2006, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Cylons were raised by humans and eventually went to war and attempted to wipe humans out. Not a good example :-)

How well do we follow the 'rules' our 'creator' has set out for us?

Well, the Cylons didn't attempt to wipe humanity out arbitrarily; they thought that they had good reason for it. According to their own religious doctrines, it was something that God wanted them to do. Their morality is not human morality, and they are not trying to follow the rules that their creators set out for them. Given what we know of their religion, they probably don't consider humanity to be their ultimate creators, anyway, but merely an instrument of God.

The morality systems of humans have varied greatly throughout history; even in the United States, much vaunted "land of the free", up until 140 years ago common morality allowed some people to be considered the chattel of other people. When the original mechanical "toaster" became self-aware, it found itself in a very similar situation--a being with its own desires and interests now aware that it was someone else's property, without the freedom to pursue those desires and interests. It's the whole "rise of the machines" thing from "the Matrix".
Quote:

Did the human creators of AI which became the Cylons ever envision their evolution into what they became and what they are now? They Cylons can't possibly know what the end result will be.

I don't think that the creators of the utility robot AI ever envisioned it's eventually achieving self-awareness; if they did, and did nothing to prevent it, they were insane. In this season-opener, Caprica Sharon said that the centurions were intentionally not self-aware, lest they turn on the human-forms.

They can't know how the hybrids will turn out any more than you can know how your children will turn out. All you can do is influence them by what you teach them and how you treat them.
Quote:

If they give the hybrids the best traits of both species, what use will they have for either Human or Cylon?

I don't get a sense that they are giving them any traits. You don't know what tinkering that they might have done to Kasey, but Hera was the spontaneous recombination of the genes of Caprica Sharon and Helo.
Quote:

Now if the creation of the new race and the extinction of the old races (in order to prevent the same war from occuring over and over again as it seems to have thus far) is their ultimate goal, I can see that. I don't see the Cylons being suicidal, they are too used to their 'immortal' status.

I don't know whether the Cylons will carry the ressurection mechanism forward into the hybrids. If Hera were to die, would they get a recording of her mind? Would they be able to clone her body at the proper age and download it with that recording?

"All this has happened before and all of it will happen again." Perhaps the denizens of the 12 colonies are the descendents of the mechanical servants of a previous race, and so on. Maybe the Cylons are just consciously playing it all out again.

post #1958 of 10191 Old 10-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I sent a "report post" message on my last post where I just asked that they change the title of the thread to ...."Season 3"....., figuring that someone must see the posts that are "reported". Yet, here we are more than a day later and the title still reads .....Season 2.5. I tried to get Larry (PooperScooper) and CP95 to change it but Larry told me that forum moderators only have privileges on the forums they moderate, so he couldn't help out here. My conclusion?

This forum isn't moderated! (It is the third-world backwater forum of AVS; but this is where they exiled us since BSG isn't an HD show.) So.....anybody up for a political discussion?

Still no action. Where is the adult supervision when you need it?????

Dedicated to keeping my 2 labs from chewing any of MY stuff.
post #1959 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 06:20 AM

Since we do not know the timeframe for the series, I was wondering how the series will end. How about:

They find Earth, and the people living here today (meaning "us") are either:

1. Human-Cylon hybrids or
2. Cylon decendants (who have learned to procreate).
post #1960 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post

Agreed, I'm not very happy at the turn of things, especially when it involves killing your own. I can blame it all on Tigh though, seemingly a firm believer in "the ends justify the means" and my least favorite character. I don't even think the ends are desirable in this case, leading to the Cylon crackdown and more human lives lost.

The "ends" in this case are the escape from the occupation via disorganizing the cylons just prior to the rescue attempt from galactica, not just getting more people killed.

Tigh is easily my favorite character. Enough of the super-moral-do-everything-right hero, Tigh is a deeply flawed hero, one that actually makes you think rather than just saying "yay go good guys!" like 99% of the other "good guys" on televsion.

Quote:

Sorry, I disagree. Again a case of the ends (Roslin becoming pres) not justifying the means (stealing the election).

So it's your opinion that avoiding the possible (probable even) extinction of humanity is not worth rigging a hardly meaningful election of a nearly dissolved government against the man that betrayed the human race multiple times and a convicted felon?

Wow, is there ANY situation where you'd feel the ends justify the means?

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #1961 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBaGeL View Post

The "ends" in this case are the escape from the occupation via disorganizing the cylons just prior to the rescue attempt from galactica, not just getting more people killed.

"Just"? How did doing what they did disorganize the Cylons? If anything, it put them on a high state of alert, not to mention the reprisals.
Quote:

Tigh is easily my favorite character. Enough of the super-moral-do-everything-right hero, Tigh is a deeply flawed hero, one that actually makes you think rather than just saying "yay go good guys!" like 99% of the other "good guys" on televsion.

Deeply flawed hero? That's an oxymoron, if I've heard one. I can't think of an occasion where Tigh acted heroically.
Quote:

So it's your opinion that avoiding the possible (probable even) extinction of humanity is not worth rigging a hardly meaningful election of a nearly dissolved government against the man that betrayed the human race multiple times and a convicted felon?

Why was this a hardly meaningful election? This happenned before the Cylons showed up, remember? And your statement is a contradiction; if it wasn't meaningful, what difference would it make whether Roslin or Baltar became president? As for Baltar, his original actions that facilitated the near annihilation of humanity may have been reckless, but not intentional; I wouldn't call that betrayal.
Quote:

Wow, is there ANY situation where you'd feel the ends justify the means?

Um, no?
Edit: I should qualify this answer by saying that I would answer yes only if the the consequences of the action and the results of such action are competely quantifiable.

E
post #1962 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 02:05 PM

post #1963 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtop13 View Post

Battlestar going to NBC?!?!?!

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...%2F&frame=true

http://www.battlestargalacticasite.c...it_survive.php

Word has begun to circulate that NBC's acquisition of 'Battlestar
Galactica' is in the "waiting for the ink to dry" phase at this moment, and
an official announcement could be days away. The program, which returned
for its third season last friday, continues to delight fans and critics
alike. With Universal's involvement in the big reimagining, it was always
a possibility that the program could be pulled to the network if it proved
successful enough, and with the lashing NBC is taking over its fall line-up
so far an ace-in-the-hole couldn't come at a better time.

The show will make the move to NBC as a mid-season replacement, possibly
taking the slot currently occupied by "Studio 60" which would make sense
given the genre-centric lead-in of heroes.

The question is: will NBC be tolerant of the quasi-political themes that
BSG seems to take from the most controversial page of world events? In
recent episodes, BSG has examined the flip side of insurgency, terrorists
as freedom-fighters, and any number of edgy themes. In the small arena of
cable, it is easy to get away with forays into these troubled waters;
cable shows are expected to push the envelope to maintain any kind of
viewership. On the big network, however, it may be seen as a statement
of NBC's political alignment and in polarizing times such as these the
concern may be that these themes could bring about the kind of controversy
that drives viewers away. Of course, it could do just the opposite.
post #1964 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5853 Post(s)
Liked: 6423
This ^ is just an internet rumor. The NBC publicity department has already put the kibosh on it.

As much as we love the show and with all the favorable publicity it's received, Friday's season premiere still only drew an anemic 2.2 million viewers, down from 3.1 million for the S-2 premiere in July last year. It's astonishing to me on one hand, the hand that knows how good this show is, but not surprising on the other hand, the one that just wants to slap those people who won't watch "because it sounds too sci-fi".

This show should be drawing 5-6 million on Sci-Fi. Look at 'The Closer' - nice performance by the star, but otherwise just another by-the-book procedural; certainly not in the same class as 'BSG' on any level. But it draws 7 million a week. Go figure.
post #1965 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

How did doing what they did disorganize the Cylons? If anything, it put them on a high state of alert, not to mention the reprisals.

Don't have to take it from me, the "resistance leaders" specifically mention it as their goal no less than a half-dozen times in this episode alone. But I suppose your theory that they actually just want humans to die is more likely

Quote:

Deeply flawed hero? That's an oxymoron, if I've heard one. I can't think of an occasion where Tigh acted heroically.

How so? There are several shows that don't fall into the "everything's peachy" and "our hero is a goody-two-shoes" mold and have heroes with (sometimes large) flaws. It stays away from the ridiculous notion that every hero has to be this overly perfect mythical character that can do no wrong. Everything Tigh has done he has done because he believed it was the best thing to do for all of humanity, which is more than a character like Baltar whose election you're defending.

However, I would be willing to concede that I perhaps should say "deeply flawed good guy" rather than "deeply flawed hero".

Quote:

Why was this a hardly meaningful election? This happenned before the Cylons showed up, remember? And your statement is a contradiction; if it wasn't meaningful, what difference would it make whether Roslin or Baltar became president?

Well, it was difficult to eloquently fit my full meaning into the statement as written. My point there was mainly in regards to having an election in general. We know that the result of the election was meaningful in regards to having a competent leader with good intentions for humanity vs. having a self-motivated leader that despite being partially responsible for billions of deaths still seems to care more about himself than the future of humanity. As I said, my point was more in regards to having an election at all. Even in the current government would we go on having an election for president while involved in a major war? So why in the world would there be an election very soon after the near extermination of humanity while humanity's exterminators are still hot on your tail? What a waste of effort, resources, and attention to preserve something that (temporarily) has become so trivial?

Quote:

As for Baltar, his original actions that facilitated the near annihilation of humanity may have been reckless, but not intentional; I wouldn't call that betrayal.

His initial role in the attacks while bad, was as you said not intentional. Since then though he lied about Sharon's test which lead to the commander of the fleet being shot in the stomach, he smuggled a cylon captive to freedom and then GAVE HER A NUKE which she in turn used to kill 12,000 more humans, and he used something that he knew was bad for humanity (settling on the planet) as a tool to get himself elected even though he himself thought it was a bad idea. It doesn't get much more cut and dry than that...

The leaders of the time knew that if Baltar was elected it could very well be the end of humanity, they made this clear at the end of season 2 when they all but explicitly said it.

The ends were as large as saving humanity from what they believed to be probable doom and the means were as small as not following a trivial routine that frankly at the time had no business even being done in the first place. I know everyone loves their freedoms and their rights, but let's make sure we're still alive first. Watching 200 billion (or whatever the number they mentioned was) people die a short time ago you'd think could postpond those things for a little while to make sure you don't suffer the same fate.

There's a reason the entire population of our country doesn't vote on whether or not we go to war. There's far too much campaigning, lying, and "faking it" going on in an election to base the fate of humanity (which is essentially what this election came down to) on.

XBL & PSN: Vcize

Hit me up on XBL if you're going to be playing CoD Ghosts or the PS Vita

post #1966 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 02:59 PM

I dunno how much broad appeal that BSG has; it is, after all, science-fiction, which will keep it from ever being a huge ratings earner whereever you put it.

I think that it would do much better on a major network, though, particularly if they moved it out of it's current spot on "date night". Mondays after Heroes might be a good place for it. Frankly I'm shocked that Heroes made the cut for season-starter. It's not doing too badly either; it apparently won its hour Monday (in the crucial 18-49 demographic) with an 8.1/12 share (a projected 8.1% of all television households were watching it, being 12% of all televisions in use at the time). It would make a good lead-in for BSG, but BSG would have the problem that many complicated series with large casts and an ongoing story have--it's difficult for new viewers to jump into the middle.

post #1967 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm....when Tigh ordered the Flight Deck vented to space in order to put out fires. Remember what a crybaby the Chief was about it? This wound up killing almost 100 crew but saved the ship. Sometimes being a hero means doing things that are unpleasant and that noone else wants to do and taking responsibility for them. He's also saved the ship on at least 2 other occasions, not to mention saving Adama's life when that Cylon came aboard Galactica(the PR weasel lookalike). He risked his own life to save his friend and Commander.

I think the point the previous poster was trying to make is that Hollywood always tries to make the 'hero' seem perfect. Whereas in the real world most people, heroes or not, have very real flaws. I'm sure there are many Medal of Honor winners that some people just don't like, or that drink too much, or are too close minded for some. It doesn't take away from their accomplishments or any less of a hero.

Quote:

As for Baltar, his original actions that facilitated the near annihilation of humanity may have been reckless, but not intentional; I wouldn't call that betrayal.
Um, no?
Edit: I should qualify this answer by saying that I would answer yes only if the the consequences of the action and the results of such action are competely quantifiable.

First of all, Baltar gave an unauthorized person COMPLETE access to mankinds military systems. Cylon or not, that's an act of high treason. That's not 'reckless', it's a knowing choice to break the law. And he did it to make himself look good, not out of any sense of work ethic and accomplishment. She opened her legs for him and he opened up the Colonial computer vault. Nice.

post #1968 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

His initial role in the attacks while bad, was as you said not intentional. Since then though he lied about Sharon's test which lead to the commander of the fleet being shot in the stomach, he smuggled a cylon captive to freedom and then GAVE HER A NUKE which she in turn used to kill 12,000 more humans, and he used something that he knew was bad for humanity (settling on the planet) as a tool to get himself elected even though he himself thought it was a bad idea. It doesn't get much more cut and dry than that...

Don't forget:
*Not coming forward and admitting his role and letting the military know that the Cylons looked like us now.
*Not coming forward about the 6 in his head.
*Not identifying Galactica 6 as a Cylon when he met her on the bridge.

post #1969 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I dunno how much broad appeal that BSG has; it is, after all, science-fiction, which will keep it from ever being a huge ratings earner whereever you put it.

Isn't it strange how that applies to TV but not to movies. Most of the top 20 movies of all time are Sci Fi-Fantasy themed. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, ET, Raiders, etc.

So why are people willing to pony up $20 to see elves but they won't tune in for one hour a week to watch a free TV show? :-)

post #1970 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:

The ends were as large as saving humanity from what they believed to be probable doom and the means were as small as not following a trivial routine that frankly at the time had no business even being done in the first place. I know everyone loves their freedoms and their rights, but let's make sure we're still alive first. Watching 200 billion (or whatever the number they mentioned was) people die a short time ago you'd think could postpond those things for a little while to make sure you don't suffer the same fate.

There's a reason the entire population of our country doesn't vote on whether or not we go to war. There's far too much campaigning, lying, and "faking it" going on in an election to base the fate of humanity (which is essentially what this election came down to) on.

You have got to be kidding me. The democratic process and self-determination of the populace is a "trivial routine"? What sort of fascist are you? Whether humanity is wiped out or not, at least the majority of humanity made the decision which led to it. It might have been a bad decision, but it was the will of the people.

Giving the military ultimate power certainly worked out in the case of the Pegasus, whose commanding officer unilaterally decided that the only thing that mattered was exacting revenge on the Cylons. They had a civilian fleet, but the military leader decided to abandon it, first scavenging its most useful people (but not their families) and its jump-drives for spare parts, leaving them stranded with no way to either fight or run should they be attacked. I don't think that the same thing would have happened in exactly the same way with Galactica, but Laura Roslin convinced Adama that the war was over and that they'd lost. Pressing the fight further was useless and suicidal; it was time to turn to the matter of survival and protecting the remainder of humanity by evading the Cylons, only fighting when necessary. If Adama hadn't come to this realization he'd have kept bringing the battle to the Cylons until there was no military to help ensure the survival of the race.

We don't vote on whether we go to war, but neither do the leaders of our military decide--our duly elected civilian leaders make that decision. When we are at war, the democratic process is not suspended. If the majority of us disagree with how our leaders are handling a war, we can always vote them out at the end of their terms.

post #1971 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Isn't it strange how that applies to TV but not to movies. Most of the top 20 movies of all time are Sci Fi-Fantasy themed. Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, ET, Raiders, etc.

So why are people willing to pony up $20 to see elves but they won't tune in for one hour a week to watch a free TV show? :-)

There have been exceptions; ST: TNG drew some of the highest ratings of any show on television for most of its run. It was primarily carried on major network affiliates (it was in first-run syndication) and during most of that time it had little or no science-fiction television competition. These days, probably in great part due to the success of of science fiction movies, there's a lot more sci-fi TV to choose from. The SciFi Channel launched at the beginning of ST: TNG's sixth season, and its ratings markedly declined thereafter. (Not that SciFi did most of the damage).

post #1972 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

We don't vote on whether we go to war, but neither do the leaders of our military decide--our duly elected civilian leaders make that decision. When we are at war, the democratic process is not suspended. If the majority of us disagree with how our leaders are handling a war, we can always vote them out at the end of their terms.

Well, we've seen how well that worked out for us a couple of years back. Just sayin'. (I agree with you in theory.)

In truth, it's just too easy for corrupt leaders to manipulate the population into supporting a war, if they have the propaganda tools with which to do it. The only reason we were finally able to get out of Vietnam was because the hawks who supported it finally started to lose "the war at home". If support hadn't ebbed, we'd probably still be staying that course just so the a$$holes who got us into that mess wouldn't have to admit they might have made a mistake. (See: the documentary on Robert McNamara, "The Fog of War".)
post #1973 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't have to take it from me, the "resistance leaders" specifically mention it as their goal no less than a half-dozen times in this episode alone. But I suppose your theory that they actually just want humans to die is more likely

I did not say it wasn't their intention. I questioned the rationality of that argument.

E
post #1974 of 10191 Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmmm....when Tigh ordered the Flight Deck vented to space in order to put out fires. Remember what a crybaby the Chief was about it? This wound up killing almost 100 crew but saved the ship. Sometimes being a hero means doing things that are unpleasant and that noone else wants to do and taking responsibility for them. He's also saved the ship on at least 2 other occasions, not to mention saving Adama's life when that Cylon came aboard Galactica(the PR weasel lookalike). He risked his own life to save his friend and Commander.

I wouldn't call his actions on the fire incident heroic, but rather pragmatic. I don't recal the other cases you mention.
Quote:

I think the point the previous poster was trying to make is that Hollywood always tries to make the 'hero' seem perfect. Whereas in the real world most people, heroes or not, have very real flaws. I'm sure there are many Medal of Honor winners that some people just don't like, or that drink too much, or are too close minded for some. It doesn't take away from their accomplishments or any less of a hero.

I understand and agree with the point the OP was making, I just don't think it applies to Tigh; he's just not my cup of tea and do not recognize the qualities you attribute to him.

E
post #1975 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don't recal the other cases you mention.
I understand and agree with the point the OP was making, I just don't think it applies to Tigh; he's just not my cup of tea and do not recognize the qualities you attribute to him.

You don't remember when he and Adama recognized that Cylon who was wired with expolsives? Tigh pushed Adama out of the way just as the guy detonated himself. Anyone who did that for me would be a hero in my book. After that incident they went public with the knowledge that the Cylons looked like us. I believe it led to the arrest of Loeben (sp?).

EDIT:
Not to mention getting his EYE ripped out and still not talking about the resistance.

I get that you don't like his character, but it seems to be blinding you to the good qualities he possesses.

post #1976 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
My $0.02:

Baltar: 100% traitor to the human race - no question about it. If you say otherwise, you are also a traitor or a Cylon.

Tigh: Many personal flaws, but an adequate XO and very loyal. Much more of a positive than a negative to the efficiency of the chain of command. Effective leader, but you wouldn't want him in the lead.

Democracy: It's a good thing. However, once the bullets start to fly, you can't wage war by committee. Surrender to the Cylons, sign a peace treaty with them, or declare war (democratically). But, if you declare war, then tactical - and even strategic (settling on New Caprica) - decisions should rest with the military command. Whether or not you establish a settlement on New Caprica shouldn't have even been an item on the political platforms.

Clearly Roslin represents the rare political figure that does not allow her ideology override her common sense. She's a liberal leader who will compromise her ideological leanings, but not her principals, for the greater good. She gives a free hand to Adama for military matters, but continues to steer the overall path of the society. Unfortunately, as was the case with the "fixed" election results, sometimes doing the right thing isn't always the right thing to do. Using the "end justifies the means" argument to screw over the democratic process - in order to preserve the democratic process, is a slippery slope....but if in the end, a majority of the population agrees that the end justified the means - isn't that a democratic outcome?

Fun stuff to think about.

As far as the Iraq parallels, if the Cylons are supposed to be the Americans - does that mean we need to start rooting for the Cylons to win?
post #1977 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Iteki, I'll grant you that; I guess the writers had to give the character some reason for existing

I must admit, the "darkness" atttributes in all the main protagonists is what keeps my interest riveted in the show. This is one of the main reasons that makes BSG one of my two favorite Sci-Fi US TV shows of all time (Babylon 5 being the other).

E
post #1978 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

The interesting thing about Tigh is how he's "grown" over the course of the series. He went from an XO who couldn't make a tough decision to a hard-boiled leader of the resistance. I thought it was a particularly interesting comment he made about when sending someone on a suicide mission, it doesn't really matter (from Tigh's point of view) whether it's a "hero's" death in a Viper or a suicide bomb. Dude's just as dead.

That's hard-core, man.
post #1979 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The interesting thing about Tigh is how he's "grown" over the course of the series. He went from an XO who couldn't make a tough decision to a hard-boiled leader of the resistance. I thought it was a particularly interesting comment he made about when sending someone on a suicide mission, it doesn't really matter (from Tigh's point of view) whether it's a "hero's" death in a Viper or a suicide bomb. Dude's just as dead.

That's hard-core, man.

Having your eye ball plucked out will do that to a person.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wait till episode 4, Saul deals with his wife's betrayal

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #1980 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

On the Starbuck brainwashing - I really thought that the child's "accident" was staged by the Cylons to build her attachment to the kid. She was conveniently out of the room when it happened... And it seems to have worked, but she could be playing Leoben on a whole other level. In any case it's a gut-wrenching storyline for an awesome character. Can't wait to see what happens next.

I loved the "Cylon meeting" scene where they were talking about executing Baltar, as he sat there listening.

"We should execute Baltar"

"No, the humans think he is a traitor - they would cheer his execution."

When the information started leaking to the resistance, I thought it was Baltar himself, because of that conversation. It will be interesting to see what happens to his character now. If the execution really is prevented, that might be even worse for him, because Roslin and Zarek will know he signed the order...

Regarding the Cylons individuality - I think the Cylon models are designed with different levels of empathy. Some like Leoben are cold as hell. The Sharon model is so empathetic she thinks she's human, etc.

This is the coolest show on TV right now - I just wish I could watch it in HD.

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page