Battlestar Galactica on SciFi HD - Season 4 - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

The interesting thing about Tigh is how he's "grown" over the course of the series. He went from an XO who couldn't make a tough decision to a hard-boiled leader of the resistance. I thought it was a particularly interesting comment he made about when sending someone on a suicide mission, it doesn't really matter (from Tigh's point of view) whether it's a "hero's" death in a Viper or a suicide bomb. Dude's just as dead.

That's hard-core, man.

Not so much "grown" but come into his element I think. Tigh is not much of a political, ass kissing staff officer, but in this environment he is right at home as the "devil in the garden" that he spoke of in his monolouge.

There is a great deleted scene at SciFi of Tigh. It is something of ripoff/homage from Apocalypse Now were the MPs come to deliver orders to Tigh in his hotel room. Tigh is drunk, half naked, the room is wrecked, and when he answers the door he asks the MPs "What are the charges?" You can almost here The Doors playing in the background.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5882 Post(s)
Liked: 6452
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedwards View Post

Regarding the Cylons individuality - I think the Cylon models are designed with different levels of empathy. Some like Leoben are cold as hell. The Sharon model is so empathetic she thinks she's human, etc.

This is the coolest show on TV right now - I just wish I could watch it in HD.

DE

Yes, there was a scene in the first season where Six and diplomat-dude were talking about Sharon, and Six said that "her model has always been weak". Hmmm, Cylon slander.

Agree with your last statement. I hate TWC.
post #1983 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtop13 View Post

Battlestar going to NBC?!?!?!

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/20...%2F&frame=true

Also debunked today by Ausiello at TV Guide.

Didn't we have this rumor last year, too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

My $0.02:

Clearly Roslin represents the rare political figure that does not allow her ideology override her common sense. She's a liberal leader who will compromise her ideological leanings, but not her principals, for the greater good. She gives a free hand to Adama for military matters, but continues to steer the overall path of the society.

Fun stuff to think about.

I thought Roslin was almost blinded by her religion from making what should have been some straightforward decisions, e.g. following the arrow of Athena. (I'm not enough of a student of BSG to recall specific events but I do remember thinking several times she should forget about the gods and do what makes practical sense.) I agree she's the best influence the human race has going for it right now, but I think she does have a tendancy to be guided too much by her religious upbringing which forms her ideology.

See any parallels to current events here?
post #1985 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

Also debunked today by Ausiello at TV Guide.

Didn't we have this rumor last year, too?

yeah...but i was hoping this time it might actually happen...would maybe be a step closer to HD....but guess it's not meant to be...
post #1986 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

He went from an XO who couldn't make a tough decision to a hard-boiled leader of the resistance... Dude's just as dead.

I guess I just do not see the growth as you do. I see a man who did what he had to in combat the first war (not decisiveness), then moved to doing what he had to survive, to reinstatement under Adama, to (forget the order here) an XO who dared not make the "wrong" decision when in command, to an XO who did what he needed to do to save the ship, to a rebel leader doing what he needed to do. It is not hard to make those kinds of calls, when his back is against the wall and the options are limited.

COL Tigh could always be counted on after the fan was hit, but I will reserve judgement on growth as a decision maker until I see something where he has more demonstrable options and trade-offs to deal with.

But, I am probably biased...

v/r,
C-F

EDIT: Maybe swamphhh put it better with "in his element".

Rats, I did not previously know that the AVS Mobile Theme displays the text in the spoiler tags...
post #1987 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

yeah...but i was hoping this time it might actually happen...would maybe be a step closer to HD....but guess it's not meant to be...

SkyOne will start airing season 3 in the UK sometime in January, so we'll have an HD version then. I don't know when UHD will do it.

E
post #1988 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

I thought Roslin was almost blinded by her religion from making what should have been some straightforward decisions, e.g. following the arrow of Athena. (I'm not enough of a student of BSG to recall specific events but I do remember thinking several times she should forget about the gods and do what makes practical sense.) I agree she's the best influence the human race has going for it right now, but I think she does have a tendancy to be guided too much by her religious upbringing which forms her ideology.

See any parallels to current events here?

Her religious convictions helped them find the path to Earth didn't they? Sure beats jumping from place to place with no place to go.
post #1989 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgefamus View Post

She didn't start out being guided by religious influences--she was taking a particular medication to treat her cancer that gave her delusions which turned to to be uncannily true to parts of the scriptures that she hadn't seen. For instance, she knew the layout of the ancient City of the Gods on Kobol without ever having seen a map of it. Sending Starbuck after the Arrow of Apollo and going on a quest to find the Tomb of Athena and its map of Earth was precisely the right thing to do for her people. Once they found out that Adama had lied about knowing the path to Earth (and in fact was lying about his belief that Earth was more than a legend), the morale of what remained of the human race would have been destroyed. Mere survival is not enough; constantly running in terror from Cylon attacks, gradually losing people and resources as they go along with no clear goal and nothing to look forward to would be devastating.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #1990 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you to whoever changed the title of this thread!

Dedicated to keeping my 2 labs from chewing any of MY stuff.
post #1991 of 10191 Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 PM
RLJ

I am curious as to what Boomer will do (ocupation Sharon, not newly reinstated Sharon) since Cali was hauled away. She didn't look pleased. Will she eventually rejoin the fleet? If so, as a prisoner or as Lt. Sharon Valerri. The currently reinstalled Sharon is Lt. Sharon Agathon, So could be interesting how that plays out. But since Boomer was the one who actually shot Adama, would he accept her back, or just toss her into Sharon A's old cell?
post #1992 of 10191 Old 10-12-2006, 04:10 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I hope they came up with some sort of secret handshake for Boomer.
post #1993 of 10191 Old 10-12-2006, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Her religious convictions helped them find the path to Earth didn't they? Sure beats jumping from place to place with no place to go.

For frack' sake don't bring them here! We've got enough problems lol...

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #1994 of 10191 Old 10-12-2006, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I hope they came up with some sort of secret handshake for Boomer.

I have a few in mind :-) (Insert dirty old man comment here)

post #1995 of 10191 Old 10-12-2006, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Do cylons age? How long does a typical model last (the human-looking ones), barring unforeseen complications?

If they live a long time, all they have to do - assuming the ragtag fleet gets off New Caprica and restarts the journey to Earth - is wait them out - wait for the RTF to finally reach Earth, however long it takes (they'll be older and may be in no shape to fight), let them settle in for a year, then jump in with base stars and wipe everyone out.

Could that have been the real "plan" all along?
post #1996 of 10191 Old 10-12-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

I think we can be very happy it didn't/won't happen. What good is HD if the show is so compromised you don't want to watch it anymore? There is no way the show as it currently exists would survive on NBC -- it would be watered down and interfered with to an extent that it wouldn't be the same show anymore.

Now, if NBC wanted to rerun the current episodes, say the Saturday night after they ran on Sci-Fi, in HD, that would be awesome. But if they really wanted that, I assume Universal HD would be doing it already -- the goal is obviously to keep the Sci-Fi ratings as high as possible by making the delay between Sci-Fi and other reairings a long one.
post #1997 of 10191 Old 10-12-2006, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLJ View Post

I am curious as to what Boomer will do (ocupation Sharon, not newly reinstated Sharon) since Cali was hauled away. She didn't look pleased. Will she eventually rejoin the fleet? If so, as a prisoner or as Lt. Sharon Valerri. The currently reinstalled Sharon is Lt. Sharon Agathon, So could be interesting how that plays out. But since Boomer was the one who actually shot Adama, would he accept her back, or just toss her into Sharon A's old cell?

The one who shot Adama was killed by cali, so that unit has paid the price.

only 37 hours till the next episode....

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #1998 of 10191 Old 10-12-2006, 11:29 AM
RLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

The one who shot Adama was killed by cali, so that unit has paid the price.

only 37 hours till the next episode....

Actually, she was resurected and teamed up with Caprica 6 on old Caprica. The shell may have paid the price, but, the actual personality is still around and is the one that Jammer spoke with and then talked to Cali in her cell. So in that regard, that is why I asked if Adama would accept another Sharon, one that every knew, or throw her in a cell?
post #1999 of 10191 Old 10-12-2006, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If any of you watch The Office, you know who Dwight Schrute is. NBC.com has a blog written by Dwight, and in a recent post he talks about the burning question of, what would happend if BSG landed on the Lost island. Very funny, espeically if you are familiar with Dwight's character.
http://blogs.nbc.com/office/archives..._2006-w29.html
post #2000 of 10191 Old 10-12-2006, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLJ View Post

Actually, she was resurected and teamed up with Caprica 6 on old Caprica. The shell may have paid the price, but, the actual personality is still around and is the one that Jammer spoke with and then talked to Cali in her cell. So in that regard, that is why I asked if Adama would accept another Sharon, one that every knew, or throw her in a cell?

After a year of getting to know Caprica Sharon, Adama must fully realize that Galactica Sharon's shooting him was involuntary. Her greater offense is becoming one of the leaders of the Cylon people--she and Caprica Six were in the lead of the contingent who march into Baltar's office and accept the surrender of humanity from him.

Mike Scott (XBL: MikeHellion, PSN: MarcHellion)

"Think of the cable company as a group of terrorist (sic)." -- hookbill
post #2001 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

After a year of getting to know Caprica Sharon, Adama must fully realize that Galactica Sharon's shooting him was involuntary. Her greater offense is becoming one of the leaders of the Cylon people--she and Caprica Six were in the lead of the contingent who march into Baltar's office and accept the surrender of humanity from him.

Caprica Six and Sharon, however, are good Cylons who sympathize with humanity. They were partially successful in getting the Cylon to soften their views about the extermination of mankind. The experiment isn't going too well on New Caprica, but things would be a whole lot worse without their moderating presence.
post #2002 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
OMG...I've been on the BSG main boards (on Sci Fi's website) the past week and I must say it is very refreshing to find a dedicated thread like this where NO ONE is bitching about a liberal bias or agenda in the season opener. There was one person who even said he/she was going to sell their DVD sets and stop watching the show after. Talk about thin skin!!!
post #2003 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc022372 View Post

OMG...I've been on the BSG main boards (on Sci Fi's website) the past week and I must say it is very refreshing to find a dedicated thread like this where NO ONE is bitching about a liberal bias or agenda in the season opener. There was one person who even said he/she was going to sell their DVD sets and stop watching the show after. Talk about thin skin!!!

I'm a mix mash of political ideal (libertarian), but for frack's sake.... it a show about ROBOTS!

Some people just take stuff way too seriously. I'm glad to see we at AVS rarely do.
post #2004 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott View Post

Lesser of two evils I suppose. Her take is that 'humans need our guidance in order for us to live in peace' which unfortunately means living under their yoke and dictatorship.

If it weren't for her and Six, the Cylons would still be bent on total genocide.

post #2005 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3379 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
Quote:

Liberal Bias?? Let me guess the Cylons are the Republicans. I didn't really think the writers had a political agenda they were trying to get across.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #2006 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A little over 7 Hours to go!

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #2007 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post

Liberal Bias?? Let me guess the Cylons are the Republicans. I didn't really think the writers had a political agenda they were trying to get across.

I think they are drawing parallels to current events, but aren't making judgements about them. It encourages discussion. But to not watch a show based on assumed political messages? Sheesh!

post #2008 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

I think they are drawing parallels to current events, but aren't making judgements about them. It encourages discussion. But to not watch a show based on assumed political messages? Sheesh!

Indeed. I don't think Ron Moore has any bias with regards to this show. What he is doing is taking current events and turning them upside down and inside out in all sorts of interesting, creative ways. Too many people do too little thinking these days, and any show that makes one think about what's going on in the wider world is one that deserves attention.

Unfortunately, there are only about 2.2 million of us who are listening.

The ratings for a show this thought-provoking, yet with plenty of kick-a$$ action, are a source of great puzzlement to me. One would think since it has everything, including more buzz than about any other show on TV, it would easily be the highest rated show on cable. It should be.
post #2009 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Actually I'm surprised there weren't people here on AVS offended by the parallels. Maybe they just have kept their mouths shut because of the censorship here...
post #2010 of 10191 Old 10-13-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:

It is interesting how some are reacting. And some refuse to see the political allegory, like they're in denial about their favorite show questioning their ideals. Reminds me of this stubborn guy that wouldn't see the allegory in one of his favorite movies, The Matrix (conservatives= machines, humanist liberals = human resistance).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page