Battlestar Galactica on SciFi HD - Season 4 - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2041 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRobins View Post

I seriously doubt it but .....

Could this "love child" be Kelly (sp?), i.e., Starbuck's (alleged) kid?

The "love child" is Sharon's (Boomer) baby. Remember, they told her it died, but swapped it with a stillborn baby from someone in the fleet. The president told them that utmost secrecy was required. I think only Adama, the president, and Doctor know who the baby actually is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2042 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dervari View Post

The "love child" is Sharon's (Boomer) baby. Remember, they told her it died, but swapped it with a stillborn baby from someone in the fleet. The president told them that utmost secrecy was required. I think only Adama, the president, and Doctor know who the baby actually is.

What's-his-nuts-Starbuck's boy toy has an idea now as well, after Roslin gave him the secret wink / knowing stare.

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #2043 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNair View Post

I don't think Moore is trying to draw parallels between the American presence in Iraq and Cylons, but he is asking the audience to ask hard questions "What would we do in such a situation?" Would we resort to measures that we now find deplorable? I think it's clear Colonel Tigh is not the moral voice on the show. There really isn't one, but especially not Tigh who has repeatedly made bad calls throughout the course of the show. But you look at where Tigh stands now, and you understand how he got there, even though he's advocating things we find deplorable. That's what's great about this show. Nothing about it is so simple that you should say "Oh, they are criticizing the war in Iraq". No, just like they have done since the beginning, they are putting their characters in complex moral and political scenarios, where they need to make very difficult decisions, and they are asking the audience to shift their perspective in a way many of them are probably not comfortable with. That's why it's not that surprising that some folks have taken a really simplistic stance that the show is just criticizing the occupation in Iraq it's because the show is making them ask questions they are not willing to ask themselves, and they are lashing out.

There's a difference between using the show to criticize, and drawing parallels.

I think the parallels are painfully obvious (liberation, occupation, good intentions, human police recruits, torture and slaughter of innocents, insurgents, bombings and suicide bombings, "what did you think, that we'd be greated with... never mind"). And that's why it makes the "complex moral and political scenarios" in the show all the more thought-provoking. It was exactly those parallels were so powerful in the season opener - at least to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2044 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Liked: 10
Am enjoying the new season so far but one thing is bugging me... Those dang WWII era trucks they're driving around in on NC. What's with that? Even if you forgive the obvious time-period difference these trucks represent (intergalactic space-travel cs internal combustion engines) where'd they come from? The humans haven't been on NC long enough to refine steel or gasoline so they must have come from the orbiting spacecraft. So who's are they? The Cylons or the humans?

The producers did the same thing back in the episodes where Starbuck went back for the arrow when the resistance was driving around in Hummers. It just kind of makes the whole believability thing go out the window.

Erik
post #2045 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejunior2 View Post

Am enjoying the new season so far but one thing is bugging me... Those dang WWII era trucks they're driving around in on NC. What's with that? Even if you forgive the obvious time-period difference these trucks represent (intergalactic space-travel cs internal combustion engines) where'd they come from? The humans haven't been on NC long enough to refine steel or gasoline so they must have come from the orbiting spacecraft. So who's are they? The Cylons or the humans?

Those are classic Dodge Power Wagons, dude! That was the basic chassis used on just about every vehicle in WWII & Korea except tanks and Willys (jeeps).

Anyway, with respect, get over it. This is a basic cable show; what would you have them do? Have their limited art department fashion futuristic vehicles? They don't have the budget for that kind of stuff; this isn't a $100 million feature film like 'Minority Report' (which did have specially fabricated futuristic Lexus's. That's known as "product placement").

This is a military-style show which uses all the conventions of U.S. military tactics and nomenclature. Using real military vehicles just adds to the realism, IMO. And, besides, they don't really have any choice.
post #2046 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Anyway, with respect, get over it. This is a basic cable show; what would you have them do? Have their limited art department fashion futuristic vehicles? They don't have the budget for that kind of stuff; this isn't a $100 million feature film like 'Minority Report' (which did have specially fabricated futuristic Lexus's. That's known as "product placement").

This is a military-style show which uses all the conventions of U.S. military tactics and nomenclature. Using real military vehicles just adds to the realism, IMO. And, besides, they don't really have any choice.

Have to agree there...spend their effects $$ of spaceships and Cylon goodness. Not a buck rodgersesque truck that will only be seen in one or two eps.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #2047 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRobins View Post

I seriously doubt it but .....

Could this "love child" be Kelly (sp?), i.e., Starbuck's (alleged) kid?

I agree the love child they refer to is Hera. No way Starbuck's kid (Casey) is a LOVE child.

And, how do we know it's her kid? Leobon told her her ovary was saved, but he could be lying through his enamel. We have no proof that that is true, could be any kid. Could even be another cylon? a number we haven't met yet? Do they have to be adults? That way, if killed, she'd just download. Or, she could be the product of another human female and Leobon, or any male cylon.

Dedicated to keeping my 2 labs from chewing any of MY stuff.
post #2048 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

The producers did the same thing back in the episodes where Starbuck went back for the arrow when the resistance was driving around in Hummers. It just kind of makes the whole believability thing go out the window.

I guess you don't like the face that they use projectile weapons (guns) instead of lasers and atomic/conventional missiles instead of photon/quantum torpedos?

This just goes further to show the parallel evolution of Earth and the people of the colonies. While they are ahead in things such as space travel and FTL, they are equal on many levels.
post #2049 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervari View Post

I guess you don't like the face that they use projectile weapons (guns) instead of lasers and atomic/conventional missiles instead of photon/quantum torpedos?

This just goes further to show the parallel evolution of Earth and the people of the colonies. While they are ahead in things such as space travel and FTL, they are equal on many levels.

I love the show and also agree, there is no way that another planet in another galaxy would have Business suits, Pick up trucks, have food like mash pot and other Earth based foods.

Now with weapons tech, there is a high level of chance that most species would have some sort of projectile weapons before they get more laser like weapons. projectile weapons in space could be more powerful then a micro asteroid or piece of space dust.

But this show is not about ships or weapons or other tech. This great show is about people....

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #2050 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked: 3411
Quote:

Those are classic Dodge Power Wagons, dude! That was the basic chassis used on just about every vehicle in WWII & Korea except tanks and Willys (jeeps).

I think it's cool, like the phone type thing Adama uses to address the ship's crew, all that retro stuff adds character to the show, I don't see it being a sign of lack of production money(even though it probably is).
post #2051 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Remember this series is being shown on the cable network. It's considered a hit if they get two to three million viewers per episode.
I remember Enterprise was getting over twenty million viewers for a major network, with lots of ILM graphics and that series was cancelled for lack of viewers.
Budgets mean everything to Battlestar, that's why you see Hummers, guns and lot's of sets that look like the forrests of British Columbia.
post #2052 of 10191 Old 10-16-2006, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I think it's cool, like the phone type thing Adama uses to address the ship's crew, all that retro stuff adds character to the show, I don't see it being a sign of lack of production money(even though it probably is).

Don't forget those analog phones are on the Galactica because they got rid of digital stuff in the first cylon war. I think that was covered in the mini-series

Go study! j/k

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #2053 of 10191 Old 10-17-2006, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Those 2 1/2 ton trucks were left over from the Great Escape where the prisioners were taken out to a field and were told to stretch their legs and 51 were then gun down. True story.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #2054 of 10191 Old 10-17-2006, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=drsimnal]No one's posted about last night's ep??????? Didn't know cylons could dream, that was weird.

From Blade Runner. Do androids dream of electric sheep?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
post #2055 of 10191 Old 10-17-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyozero3 View Post

Don't forget those analog phones are on the Galactica because they got rid of digital stuff in the first cylon war. I think that was covered in the mini-series

Go study! j/k

No Adama would never let the techs upgrade any of the computer systems, network them together or upgrade the internal ships com system (phones)

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #2056 of 10191 Old 10-17-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

No Adama would never let the techs upgrade any of the computer systems, network them together or upgrade the internal ships com system (phones)

He wouldn't even allow them to do it during peacetime and just prior to Galactica's scheduled decommissioning. Hard Core. His first argument with Roslin.

post #2057 of 10191 Old 10-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Speaking of being written off the show...

What the heck are they going to do with Baltar now?

With Roslin and Zarek surviving the planned execution, I don't think they'll be in a forgiving mood about him signing their death order.

Does he stay behind and go over to the Cylon side completely? As their "pet" human?

For those who are more familiar with the old series - wasn't the Dr. Baltar character completely evil and in league with the Cylons?

I need to watch some of the old episodes...

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #2058 of 10191 Old 10-17-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedwards View Post

Speaking of being written off the show...

What the heck are they going to do with Baltar now?

With Roslin and Zarek surviving the planned execution, I don't think they'll be in a forgiving mood about him signing their death order.

Does he stay behind and go over to the Cylon side completely? As their "pet" human?

For those who are more familiar with the old series - wasn't the Dr. Baltar character completely evil and in league with the Cylons?

DE

I have heard Baltar will be in all of season 3. Read below for possible spoilers

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  

From what I have read, someone becomes a colonial prisoner who turns out a few episodes in the 2nd. half of the 3rd. season as a cylon. Could be Baltar!

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #2059 of 10191 Old 10-17-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Oh no, oh my goodness no.... They were horrible back then, imagine how pitiful they'd be now! Save your eyes!

But I think the "old" Baltar was a human and the leader of the Cylons. As to the "new" Baltar, he's a survivor. He may weasel his way back into the fleet, or go over completely to the Cylons. One of the more fascinating questions of this season is where they're going to go with his character.
post #2060 of 10191 Old 10-17-2006, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Oh no, oh my goodness no.... They were horrible back then, imagine how pitiful they'd be now! Save your eyes!

But I think the "old" Baltar was a human and the leader of the Cylons. As to the "new" Baltar, he's a survivor. He may weasel his way back into the fleet, or go over completely to the Cylons. One of the more fascinating questions of this season is where they're going to go with his character.

The old Baltar was also a weasel, and was forced to work for the Cylons to help the Imperious Leader exterminate the Human Race. He was a self serving rat who only wanted to protect his own skin.

Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #2061 of 10191 Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanpa View Post

The old Baltar was also a weasel, and was forced to work for the Cylons to help the Imperious Leader exterminate the Human Race. He was a self serving rat who only wanted to protect his own skin.

Only for the curious. You've been warned:

Spoiler  
In the original made for TV movie, the Cylons beheaded him with a, "I'm afraid you missed the point...". In the series, they stopped before the sword did him in and he eventually commanded a basestar and pursued the Galactica
post #2062 of 10191 Old 10-18-2006, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 47
[quote=Don H]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsimnal View Post

No one's posted about last night's ep??????? Didn't know cylons could dream, that was weird.

From Blade Runner. Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Actually, the original Philip K. Dick story from which the movie Blade Runner was developed was titled "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". Some editions of Dick's novel printed after the movie was released were re-titled "Blade Runner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep)" to capitalize on the movie's popularity.

Tony
post #2063 of 10191 Old 10-18-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:

It's funny, I keep coming across these angry rants from fans of the old show who absolutely despise the new one. I remember seeing there was a marathon of the old ones on Sci-Fi once and I watched one of them briefly, and it was so obvious that it could not even touch the new one in terms of depth of writing, the quality of the acting, and the power of the drama. Sure, I didn't watch enough to be able to judge fairly, but it's funny that fans of the old show are offended that the new one is trying to be more than that one aspired to be. Sometimes purists have a point, but this is a case where purists are being dogmatic.
post #2064 of 10191 Old 10-18-2006, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Bear in mind that most of those old die-hard fans of the original have now come around and are as big a fan of the new series as you or I. Sure, there are a few hold-outs, but their numbers are now so small as to be statistically irrelevant, I should think. There sure wasn't anything in the old show that was worth getting nostalgic about; it was painfully juvenile and just plain awful on every level. They're probably pining more for their lost youth than anything else and that show might have been a big element of it, at least in their minds.
post #2065 of 10191 Old 10-18-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don H View Post

Those 2 1/2 ton trucks were left over from the Great Escape where the prisioners were taken out to a field and were told to stretch their legs and 51 were then gun down. True story.

I'm not saying they should blow the budget on some space-age transports. Why have trucks at all? They're not in that large an area and are confined to a rather small city. Just march the prisoners out of town or something.

Anyway, I remember thinking the whole "let them stretch their legs" scene was right out of great WWII movie too when I saw it but wasn't it 'Battle of the Bulge'?

Erik
post #2066 of 10191 Old 10-18-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm not saying they should blow the budget on some space-age transports. Why have trucks at all? They're not in that large an area and are confined to a rather small city. Just march the prisoners out of town or something.

Anyway, I remember thinking the whole "let them stretch their legs" scene was right out of great WWII movie too when I saw it but wasn't it 'Battle of the Bulge'?

It was both. The Battle of Bulge incident actually happened, although historical facts point to the fact that it was an unfortunate incident that escalated out of control. Someone resisted, then people began running, then the shots started firing. That's not me being an apologist, just pointing out what the historians have dug up.

The Great Escape incident happened and was an outright case of intentional slaughter to make a point about escapes not being tolerated.

post #2067 of 10191 Old 10-18-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

They're probably pining more for their lost youth than anything else and that show might have been a big element of it, at least in their minds.

That's it exactly. I was probably 10 years old when the original came out, and it was an EVENT. I still remember the stinking news broadcast cut in to show Carter, Begin, and Sadat sign the Israeli-Egpyt Peace Plan. What a crock?! World Peace? Over good TV? :-)

The series held fond memories for me, with the exception of Galactica 1980...that NEVER happened, understand!? Yes it was cheesy, yes the effects were bad, the acting worse. But it was the only thing like on TV at the time.

I remember hearing they were going to remake BSG and thought 'what a crock'. They've been remaking almost everything and most of the remakes have sucked, or have simply parodied the original.

I was very pleasantly surprised when the miniseries rocked, and VERY happy when it got picked up for a full season. I can't even watch the original anymore, it's lost even it's sentimental value :-)

post #2068 of 10191 Old 10-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies re: Baltar. I'm avoiding the spoilers for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDNair View Post

It's funny, I keep coming across these angry rants from fans of the old show who absolutely despise the new one. I remember seeing there was a marathon of the old ones on Sci-Fi once and I watched one of them briefly, and it was so obvious that it could not even touch the new one in terms of depth of writing, the quality of the acting, and the power of the drama. Sure, I didn't watch enough to be able to judge fairly, but it's funny that fans of the old show are offended that the new one is trying to be more than that one aspired to be. Sometimes purists have a point, but this is a case where purists are being dogmatic.

Agreed.

One of the many brilliant things about the new show - is that they found something in the old show that was worth saving. I never thought of it as anything other than a total cheese-fest, but clearly there was potential in the storyline.

So say we all!

DE

Calvin & Hobbes - Greatest. Comic. Ever.
post #2069 of 10191 Old 10-19-2006, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Thanks for the replies re: Baltar. I'm avoiding the spoilers for now.

Me too, but it's hard man, it's hard. Peter, you shouldn't have done that to us. It's like the apple in the Garden of Eden, sitting up there in its white box...
post #2070 of 10191 Old 10-20-2006, 08:01 AM

Any concern that the cutbacks that NBC/Universal announced this week will bring about the cancellation of this show? It's got to be pretty expensive to produce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page