Battlestar Galactica on SciFi HD - Season 4 - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 10191 Old 10-20-2006, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NBC tried airing a couple eps. last year to try to increase viewerbase? They should put this episode on NBC. Air it right after Heroes. Every commercial break during Heroes show off this awesome cgi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 10191 Old 10-20-2006, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked: 1862
Ok, I guessed this from a mile away. Hera is now with the Cylons.

Good episode, but I still wish they would have stayed on the planet for the whole season.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #2103 of 10191 Old 10-20-2006, 11:23 PM

I too was hoping they would stay the entire season on New Caprica. Oh well, can't accuse them of dragging things out. Awesome action packed episode. Great show, keeps getting better. I may have to bump off Quantum Leap as my favorite sci-fi series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post

But the characters and writing is what makes it so special anyway.

Amazing show. I truly feel sorry for people who aren't watching it.

Man, I'm glad somebody said this.

Yeah, special effects were way up there, but the storyline and character development was something staright out of a Shakespeare tragedy and is what really drives this show. I don't see how Col. Tigh or Kara's characters will ever be the same after last night's events.

BTW, did anyone else get the sense that Ellen Tigh knew she was drinking the poison as a final act of contrition and to show Saul how much she really loved him?

OTOH, I thought Apollo's facial prosthetics looked particularly cheesy last night and were distracting. Time to get this boy on the Subway diet.

BTW II, I don't know if this has been mentioned before but Bravo (another GE/NBC microwave product) aired 2 eps of BSG during the past week. I agree, its time for GE to stop shoring up the Sci Fi channel and start showing the eps on UHD closer in time to the SciFi airings.

So say we all.

Chnace favors the prepared mind
post #2105 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I loved when Adama realized they were screwed when the FTL drive was down and said to the command staff, "It's been a privilege" Almos has a way of delivering even a emotionally weighty line like that with a quiet dignity. And Katee Sackhoff did a nice job at the end when she realized she'd been played by Leoben.

Starbuck and Tigh and going to be messed up for some time to come.

David Forbes

My theater
post #2106 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post

... I may have to bump off Quantum Leap as my favorite sci-fi series...

Heresy!

...and totally O.T.:

When Sam Beckett took a quantum leap where no man had gone before, it was an enterprise worthy of all the heroes of the past. That star was able to trek into places that reached from the inner mind to the outer limits. It could have been the threshold of an invasion, or a battle beyond the stars.

Quantum Leap will never be filed in some twilight zone of the forgotten.

We now return control of this thread back to you.
post #2107 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

BTW, did anyone else get the sense that Ellen Tigh knew she was drinking the poison as a final act of contrition and to show Saul how much she really loved him?

I don't know if you listen to Ron Moore's podcasts, but he touches on this a bit on his commentary for this episode. He doesn't actually give you the answer, but he suggests that it's open for interpretation.

I loved the way she had a chance to confess all her sins to Saul before her death. It was kind of like she knew it was coming, whether she knew he would do it right there or not. So, she felt like she had to tell him... everything.

Ellen used to be my least favorite character on the show, but this season has at least made me re-think how I felt about her. She really really loved the old guy. What she did was wrong (selling out humanity), but I can understand her motivations. It was sad to see her die, and I never would've believed I'd say that while I was watching Season One.

Having said all that, if someone was going to die, it might as well have been her. Or Cally.
post #2108 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Heresy!

...and totally O.T.:

When Sam Beckett took a quantum leap where no man had gone before, it was an enterprise worthy of all the heroes of the past. That star was able to trek into places that reached from the inner mind to the outer limits. It could have been the threshold of an invasion, or a battle beyond the stars.

Quantum Leap will never be filed in some twilight zone of the forgotten.

We now return control of this thread back to you.

My favorite QL episode was when he lept into that guy wearing the Starfleet uniform.

post #2109 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Ellen used to be my least favorite character on the show, but this season has at least made me re-think how I felt about her. She really really loved the old guy. What she did was wrong (selling out humanity), but I can understand her motivations. It was sad to see her die, and I never would've believed I'd say that while I was watching Season One.

This is the kind of stuff that separates a good show from a great show, imho.

- Jon
"010 Meh"
post #2110 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I don't know if you listen to Ron Moore's podcasts, but he touches on this a bit on his commentary for this episode. He doesn't actually give you the answer, but he suggests that it's open for interpretation.

Nah, I tried a LOST podcast once, and found it incredibly boring and self-indulgent, so I've tended to avoid podcasts generally ever since. How good are Moore's?

Quote:

I loved the way she had a chance to confess all her sins to Saul before her death. It was kind of like she knew it was coming, whether she knew he would do it right there or not. So, she felt like she had to tell him... everything.

Oh, I think she definitely knew it was coming, simply an issue of who would deliver the message.

Quote:

That's evidence of why the writing on this show is so good. Of course, if I had a cynical nature (which of course, I don't ), if you're going to be killed by your spouse after having made those kind of sacrifices (Dean Stockwell is no chick magnet ) than I can't think of a more potent parting mind-frak than to proclaim your love and sacrifices to make certain the Colonel's guilt will screw up the rest of his life.

Quote:

Having said all that, if someone was going to die, it might as well have been her. Or Cally.

I'd trade both for Ensign Ro in a heartbeat.

Chance favors the preferred mind
post #2111 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post

Nah, I tried a LOST podcast once, and found it incredibly boring and self-indulgent, so I've tended to avoid podcasts generally ever since. How good are Moore's?

They are self-indulgent sometimes, but he does give some interesting information. A lot of it focuses on why they made the decisions they made regarding cuts, changes in script/plot/story, etc. In this one, he touched on how tough it was doing the scene where Ellen dies, how difficult it was to inform the actress about it, stuff like that.

His wife is sometimes there and she can be distracting, but I still enjoy them for the extra bits of information I get. I suppose it's really only for people who have to hear every little detail available about the show. This is the only show that I'd bother to listen to its podcast.

It's neat to get his reactions just after the show airs, rather than having to wait for a DVD commentary six months later.
post #2112 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

At the current rate, and if there's no break between seasons, we should see season 3 on UHD around the second week of January.

E
post #2113 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This episode & Show deserves more national coverage. I have already watched it 6 times.

The Best Show on TV.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #2114 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It's not often a TV show or Movie can bring a tear to my eye, or make the hair on the back of my neck stand up, but last night's episode was the finest hour long tv show I've seen in a long long long long time.

The people with the Emmy's should be shot for overlooking what is the best show on TV today.

Everything was just so powerful and emotional. We knew Lee would come back with the Pegasys, but when the missles started flying and we saw his ship barrel into the battle... I couldn't help but cheer.

My only fear is that the first few episodes have been so powerful, everything else will be a let down.
post #2115 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracko View Post

My favorite QL episode was when he lept into that guy wearing the Starfleet uniform.

You mean Star Trek - Enterprise?
post #2116 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamphhh View Post

You mean Star Trek - Enterprise?

Yep. Just having fun.
post #2117 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post

That in-atmosphere jump was cool as hell!

That was the coolest, along with the Vipers shooting out through the flames.

I'm no expert....so your mileage may vary
XboxLiveID: archie68
post #2118 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post

Best frakin episode yet!!
I wish it was on DVD or HD right now... excellent SFX too!!!

Yeah, after hearing they had moved that In-House I was concerned the quality might drop off...not concerned anymore :-)

post #2119 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

Tigh did the necessary thing and the writers did a great job in creating that scene.

I think I felt more sorry for Pegasus, though.

Yeah, we all knew that was coming. She did get off easy. I felt bad for Tigh. He looks like a broken old man now. I hope they spend a little time bringing him back up to strength. It would be a shame if he showed up all shaved and full of strength next episode.

Pegasus lasted a LOT longer than I thought it would (as far as the series goes). Combat scenes were awesome.

post #2120 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I felt horrible for Tigh and for Starbuck, even though I think she was an idiot for believing that was her kid. I suppose if you're locked up for four months without any human interaction, you latch on to whatever keeps you sane.

Yeah. Although now that I know it was a human child, I'm glad she went back for her. Thought she was a fool at the time.

post #2121 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post

I too was hoping they would stay the entire season on New Caprica. Oh well, can't accuse them of dragging things out.

I'm so glad they are off that rock. The storyline had served a purpose and moved the show forward a year and a half. And getting them off that planet provided us with the best episode yet. But you can only drag that rebellion thing for so long. The show is about Galactica and the Fleet, and humanity's search for a new home. Glad they are getting back to it now that the New Caprica experiment is over.

post #2122 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great episode!

My only question is: why are these guys so afraid to use nukes against the Cylons?

Assuming Adama didn't give Baltar his last warhead (for the Cylon detector), when you're confronted with four Cylon base ships and you're going to die, why not nuke 'em?

~Dan

Don't you wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence? There's one marked "Brightness," but it don't work.
ÂGallagher
post #2123 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 03:30 PM

Glad I wasn't the only one cheering (uncharacteristic for me) when the cavalry (Pegasus) came back...Bear Mccreary did a nifty job with the music cues for the 'death of the Galactica'...dramatic pause...and then, whoomp whoomp and attack drum sequence for the Pegasus. The moment could have been very overplayed but it wasn't.

I'd figured with all the rumors flying this was when she was gonna bite it as it felt like this would be the price paid for rescuing the colonists, not to mention it should make for better plotwriting going forward. Moore's podcast on how even he decided to give it a send off that wasn't terribly realistic but satisfying was insightful, along with the fact the visual effects guys put up a "SAVE THE PEGASUS" banner on the Universal lot. A riot.

This, Resurrection Part II, and Captain's Hand are the three reference episodes I really, really, really want to see in HD (since I don't have UHD right now). My real regret about them taking the beast out is that we're very likely not to see any detailed capital ship combat going forward, which is why I bet the visual effects guys were pissed too.
post #2124 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteki View Post

I'm so glad they are off that rock.

Agreed; it was so cold and dreary looking, I got cold every time they showed the surface-dwellers. Best frakkin' show on TV...

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #2125 of 10191 Old 10-21-2006, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
One of the best episodes I have seen from watching 3 seasons of BSG... probably rivaling the original Mini-Series, Pegasus (1 & 2) and Resurrection Ship (1 & 2) episodes IMHO.

The action was really good but I thought the best scene of the episode last night was the one that showed Tigh with his wife expiring in his arms...
post #2126 of 10191 Old 10-22-2006, 06:08 AM

Quote:

Yeah, we all knew that was coming. She did get off easy. I felt bad for Tigh. He looks like a broken old man now. I hope they spend a little time bringing him back up to strength. It would be a shame if he showed up all shaved and full of strength next episode.

Pegasus lasted a LOT longer than I thought it would (as far as the series goes). Combat scenes were awesome.

from the previews of next week...Tigh definitely isn't clean shaven and his old self. Looks like he may be leading a group of vigilantes taking revenge against those that collaborated with the Cylons on New Caprica.

Definitely cool the way Pegasus took out two base ships.

So where did Baltar and number 6 go and did he maybe get on a Colonial ship somehow.

Also pretty neat the way Roslin took back the presidency (at least I think she did).

Ellen a Cylon????

By the way, I was a fan of the original (shows my age) and when I first heard about the new BSG, i was not too excited....starbuck a girl? Boomer a girl? But i was hooked at the initial miniseries and have not regretted the changes in the least.

I'm DVRing these episodes and will most likely burn them to DVD...

until next week....
post #2127 of 10191 Old 10-22-2006, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5935 Post(s)
Liked: 6531
Wow. Just watched this ep last night, and am still speechless. I'd like to say Best. Episode. Ever., but there have been so many.....

Every single emotion there is got dragged out of the audience last night, yet nothing felt over the top. This show is just so ridiculously well written and produced. And the effects, just....wow again. They had to have burned up a whole bunch of episode vfx budgets with last night's show. One amazing scene after another; you just got drunk with it all after awhile.

I really, honestly, feel sorry for people who say they like good TV but who aren't watching this show. They simply don't know what they're missing. Got to watch this again...
post #2128 of 10191 Old 10-22-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtop13 View Post

Definitely cool the way Pegasus took out two base ships.

So where did Baltar and number 6 go and did he maybe get on a Colonial ship somehow.

Also pretty neat the way Roslin took back the presidency (at least I think she did).

I thought it was three....1 as they first arrived, and two during their suicide ramming.

They hopped on a Cylon transport...so it looks like he's with the Cylons now for the time being.

She was the runner up...and since Baltar's entire administration wound up surrendering and collaborating with the Cylons, I don't think it would be a stretch to see her sworn in again.

post #2129 of 10191 Old 10-22-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I thought it was three....1 as they first arrived, and two during their suicide ramming.

They hopped on a Cylon transport...so it looks like he's with the Cylons now for the time being.

She was the runner up...and since Baltar's entire administration wound up surrendering and collaborating with the Cylons, I don't think it would be a stretch to see her sworn in again.

Peggy took out 3 Cylon BS.

---------------------------
Comcast of Lebanon PA.
post #2130 of 10191 Old 10-22-2006, 11:34 AM

yep...forgot about the first one when the Pegasus came in with guns blazing...the entire sequence was really cool...begging for HD....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page