'Supernatural' on The CW HD (& syndicated on TNT HD) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #31 of 2781 Old 09-15-2005, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just saw it today. Not too bad but it'll be interesting to see how they can keep up the "looking for dad" deal. A little dark for my liking, they could turn the lights up just a bit. I hope I wasn't the only one that wanted to smack the guy and tell him he ain't making his appointment.

I wonder if anyone else does this- do you sometimes determine if you watch shows based on how many "oh, come on"'s you say. Prison Break is starting to get my "oh come on" quota a little higher.

And it does seem like this season may have some decent new shows- at least some will get a shot with me if it's HD.

WatchHDTV.net- FREE HDTV tuning software
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked: 2166
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

The networks are sure kind to people like me who always miss the first episode of everything. I missed the first Lost and ABC ran it again. I missed Prison Break, no problem, they ran it again. It sure helps folks who don't hear about new shows until someone mentions them.

Heck, yeah. I would have missed this one if they hadn't. The same with Prison Break.

As far as picture quality, I can't time shift HD, so I watched it in SD. I didn't notice any particular seen being too dark. Dark, yes, but not too dark.

The reference to the X-Files was good. At least we don't have to worry about the show being ruined by a similar romantic involvement with the two main characters - that would be a MUCH different show, in this case.

So, this is what I'll be watching:

Monday - "Prison Break" (9P FOX), "Medium" (10P NBC)
Tuesday - "Supernatural" (9P UPN) , "Rescue Me" (10P? FX - When it returns - probably January)
Wednesday - "Lost" (9P ABC)
Thursday - "Alias" (8P ABC) "CSI"
Friday - "Malcom in the Middle" (8:30P FOX)
Saturday - ?
Sunday - "The Simpsons" (8P Fox), "Family Guy" (9P Fox) and "Desperate Houswives" (10P ABC)

Waiting for a new season:

"24" - Fox - Tuesdays 9PM - January
"The Shield" - FX
"Monk" - USA

Random other shows I like from the cable nets:

"Mythbusters" - Discovery
"It Takes a Thief" - Discovery
"Top Gear" - Discovery
"Inside the Actors Studio" - Bravo

New shows still to check out:

"Threshold" Fridays at 9PM - CBS - Starts 9/16
"Surface" Mondays at 8PM - NBC - Starts 9/19
"Invasion" Wednesday at 10PM - ABC - Starts 9/21
"The Night Stalker" Thursdays at 9PM - ABC - Starts 9/29
"Killer Instinct" Fridays at 9PM - Fox - Starts 9/23

Whew! Thank goodness I have two tuners. Too bad neither of them can record HD.....
post #33 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 11
[quote=
Whew! Thank goodness I have two tuners. Too bad neither of them can record HD.....[/QUOTE]

Who's your provider? I've got three HD DVRs through Comcast. Should help me sort things out for the next few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
We watched Bones and Supernatural back to back - both had a "Scully and Mulder" reference.
post #35 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 168
These screen logos have got to go...

The KTLA/DT one is still there during commercials....what a joke!

This show didn't impress me too much. Didn't anyone get annoyed by some of the regurgitated horror cliches and predictability? The production values visually and sound were very good though IMO.
post #36 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post

-snip-
This show didn't impress me too much. Didn't anyone get annoyed by some of the regurgitated horror cliches and predictability? The production values visually and sound were very good though IMO.

YES. The problem I have is that they missed a very important part of the Scully/Muldar interaction - the role of the skeptic.

To appreciate this show you must buy into the existence of the supernatural world from the beginning. No alternative explanation was possible for the "Woman in White" other than she was a vengefull ghost - so you have to believe in ghosts. As for whatever it is that nails blondes to the ceiling while still alive, then causes the ceiling to combust around them, I see no other possible explanation than some form of evil demon, spirit, or maybe the ghost of Jack the Ripper or some other serial killer.

Whatever. You have to buy into the whole "supernatural" world and swallow whatever they stuff in your mouth every week, or the show just doesn't work. As it didn't work for me.

I can suspend my disbelief and enjoy a well-defined supernatural genre like for example a vampire film. Even though I know vampires do not exist, I can immerse myself in a vampire story. But I'm NOT about to swallow whatever critter the scriptwriters can imagine just because they did so.

Having said that, I thought the other production values were very good. The special effects were very impressiive. The acting was not bad. The casting was OK.

It's only the "Supernatural critter of the week" format that's a bust.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #37 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4995 Post(s)
Liked: 3987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post

To appreciate this show you must buy into the existence of the supernatural world from the beginning.

You don't have to believe in the supernatural in real life. You just have to accept that in the universe of this show supernatural events can happen. Just like we accept that in Star Trek faster-than-light travel is possible, explosions make noise in the vacuum of outer space, and the universe is populated with many alien species that look just like humans with bumpy foreheads.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #38 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX View Post

I watched it on WB-HD OTA here in D/FW, put it wasn't 5.1. Were you HD guys getting it in 5.1?

It was 5.1 here in Boston via Comcast cable, but I was unimpressed with the sound quality.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #39 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

YES. The problem I have is that they missed a very important part of the Scully/Muldar interaction - the role of the skeptic.

While I would agree that this twist added to X files made it unique, and improved it overall. I would argue that it is not mandatory for this show to be successful. Both brothers believe in ghosts because they saw their mother burst into flames on the ceiling as children. That would do it for me.

I would, at least suggest as an option, you can have this same basic contrast between the two brothers and the people they come upon during their travels. Surely, most common people they meet would be very much against the belief that it is a bad spirit causing deadly traffic accidents in the town square. As such, they would be somewhat opposed to helping two out-of-towners with their crazy ideas of exorcism.

Mulder and Scully had one thing going for them... ...they were FBI agents. This afforded them luxuries that these guys will not have. As an example, in the pilot, they got caught in a lie by the local fuzz and the one brother had to bust the other out of jail.

To sum it up, I would argue that the overall setup of the story does not doom the show to failure. As with any show, good writing will make the difference.

Hey, at least it isn't yet another show where a bunch of lawyers continually get a bunch of guilty clients off by continually breaking the law themselves... ...boy that would be an original show!

-Suntan
post #40 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I caught the replay of the pilot last night. Big thumbs up. The show had a quick, exciting pace, suspense, sharp humor, and wonderful PQ. The scene of the 'lady in white' getting pulled into hell was freakin amazing. I had a great time watching it, period.
post #41 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
If they saw what we assume they've seen in 15 - 20 years of "ghost hunting" - one would have to be an idiot to be a skeptic. The girlfriend could have been a skeptic, but something tells me she's now a believer.
post #42 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6734 Post(s)
Liked: 7578
I caught the replay of this one last night and wasn't impressed. Was expecting chills and thrills and, aside from the initial shocker, what I saw was a collection of trite horror cliches, a lack of sophistication, and a writing style that seemed to be aimed precisely at the 11-25 demographic. An X-Files for the Gen Z crowd without any of the chemistry or chills that made that show so memorable. I won't be back.
post #43 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

I caught the replay of this one last night and wasn't impressed. Was expecting chills and thrills and, aside from the initial shocker, what I saw was a collection of trite horror cliches, a lack of sophistication, and a writing style that seemed to be aimed precisely at the 11-25 demographic. An X-Files for the Gen Z crowd without any of the chemistry or chills that made that show so memorable. I won't be back.

I'm with you archiguy, I don't see how so many more AVS readers liked this show than enjoyed Bones.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #44 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually I very much liked both of them.

- Tom

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper Liquid Fluoride Thorium Reactors?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at www.trbarry.com
post #45 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Overall, I enjoyed this show (and will continue watching it), but did anyone else think the ending was a little cheezy? These guys are supposed to be experts on supernatural stuff, but it didn't appear that they had any clue how to fight the ghost except to try shooting at it. So they end up helpless, pinned behind a table, and then they just get lucky and the ghost kind of goes away on her own...

I also wonder how they will be able to gather the information they need each week to solve cases without having any "official" status. Mulder and Scully could interview people, conduct autopsies, etc. because they were FBI agents. These guys, to get the information they needed, impersonated FBI agents (I don't imagine they can do that every week), and talked to people like the dead guy's friends and the dead woman's husband. I had to wonder why these people would talk to complete strangers about these incidents without seeing some kind of badge.

Just my thoughts. Any other opinions?

BenQ W1070 | Denon AVR-X4200W | Sony XBR75X940D | LG OLED55E6P | Samsung PN51E7000 Plasma | HTPC
post #46 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran View Post

I'm with you archiguy, I don't see how so many more AVS readers liked this show than enjoyed Bones.

Bones was awful. I mean come on, everything about that was cliche. And I mean everything. Mark my words: Bones will fail quickly and Supernatural will do very well this year.
post #47 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 137
@ Archi and Jimbo

What other TV shows are out on broadcast channels in genres even close to this right now?

I didn't watch Bones, but isn't it about a sarcastic male cop and a snotty criminal pathologist female that isn't very pretty? No thanks, been there done that in one form or another. And where in the world are they that they happen upon one unsolvable murder after another each and every day?

If nothing else, interest in this show only points out how few options there are for original storylines. Hopefully that show about the hurricane deposting aliens is good when it comes out...

-Suntan
post #48 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 02:54 PM

I really liked this, GF was a HOTTIE!
We had DD 5.1 here in ST Louis so it was a nice surprise.
Looking forward to more of this one.

Jamie

Jamie Crane
Great minds discuss ideas.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.
post #49 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

yet another thumbnail review:

actually i wish to point out a few inconsistencies that have been posted so far. OF COURSE the the storyline is incredible-so are past hit shows about vampire slayers, aliens with super-human powers battling mutated humans for our salvation, & i would add teens with perfect bodies, permanent tans & unlimited credit accounts!!! but its about how it's presented. so far SUPERNATURAL has good writing & characters that are likeable & believable. Dean says to Sam: "Of COURSE you should be afraid of the dark-you KNOW what's out there!!" common-sense in an UN-normal situation. its also what i like about Dean-a practical, even utilitarian approach to demon-hunting(LOL)!!! that & his wise-ass sense of humor!!!
BTW Suntan i agree that having a skeptic made X-FILES a better show but i don't think you saw that Sam is(was) a different skeptic. sure he knows about the netherworld but he was obviously ambivalent about the whole ghost-hunter life. i also got the sense we was a bit distant from his father while Dean is much more committed on a personal level. but seeing his GF become a human gas grill & Sam is now a skeptic turned zealot-now THAT should be interesting to see play out!!!
BTW2 neither brother actually SAW their Mom's immolation-Sam was a newborn, Dean never looked up at the ceiling. all their lives they've relied on their Dad's version of events. now they've seen for themselves. we saw the immediate change in Sam-how will the experience change Dean? more to look forward to!!!
sorry for the long-winded analysis-back to tech issues. good PQ here on WPIX-DT. liked the dark cast-some HD here seems over-saturated color-wise. good sound tho i had to keep it down(roomie had important biz call). nice subtle surround EFX when car crashed into abandoned house. problem i find with most broadcast 5.1 is ya gotta crank it for best effect(tho some won't call it a PROBLEM!) back to the real world(pretty scary in it's own right!!!)

jim

PS so whats wrong with names like Dean or Jess anyway???

"increasing vision is increasingly
expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #50 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma957 View Post

Overall, I enjoyed this show (and will continue watching it), but did anyone else think the ending was a little cheezy? These guys are supposed to be experts on supernatural stuff, but it didn't appear that they had any clue how to fight the ghost except to try shooting at it. So they end up helpless, pinned behind a table, and then they just get lucky and the ghost kind of goes away on her own...

I also wonder how they will be able to gather the information they need each week to solve cases without having any "official" status. Mulder and Scully could interview people, conduct autopsies, etc. because they were FBI agents. These guys, to get the information they needed, impersonated FBI agents (I don't imagine they can do that every week), and talked to people like the dead guy's friends and the dead woman's husband. I had to wonder why these people would talk to complete strangers about these incidents without seeing some kind of badge.

Just my thoughts. Any other opinions?

sorry Sigma but you asked for it LOL!!!

they did have a clue-or least a plan. dig up the body & destroy it. unfortunately the ghost had a plan too-ambush Sam. i find this plausible since it shows Murphy's Law applys to the netherworld(as did the ghost's fate.)
your second point reminded me that being ordinary guys means the bros have to use their wits(as do the screenwriters). no unlimited resources, no flashing a Fed badge & everything comes to them. like the real world works-with demons added. for them-like my former roommate(& Marine Gulf War vet) would say: "improvise,adapt, overcome". come to think of it their Dad is an ex-Marine isn't he? must've taught them well.
as for people opening up to them-you ever worked in sales? sometimes the trick is getting some people to shut up long enough to sign the papers!!! really its a matter of knowing the right buttons to push & people will often talk your ear off!!! Sam impersonating a reporter was(again) very plausible. watch local news-people WANT to be interviewed even if they don't like being questioned. i'm sure in future episodes they will run into people who tell them nothing & will have to find other sources.

jim

expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #51 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

@ Archi and Jimbo

And where in the world are they that they happen upon one unsolvable murder after another each and every day?

-Suntan

They are right down the street from all the supernatural events that seem to occur daily.

It is not the worst show ever, my main point was that although I am a horror/UFO/Sci-Fi/fantasy junkie, Supernatural did not appeal to me, Bones entertained me.

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #52 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

PS so whats wrong with names like Dean or Jess anyway???

Jared Padalecki who plays Sam in Supernatural played Dean on Gilmore Girls.

Dean on Gilmore Girls competed for Rory's affections with Jess (Milo Ventimiglia).
post #53 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

i think that's called "tongue in cheek". the WB seems to go in for that. remember the SMALLVILLE episode where Jonathan Kent turns on his truck's radio & Waylon is wailin' the theme to DUKES OF HAZZARD?

jim

expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #54 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Moran View Post

They are right down the street from all the supernatural events that seem to occur daily.

I guess you missed the line that their next town (where Dad went) was like a 8+ hr drive? Not exactly "right down the street". This isn't Sunnydale, CA. I think we'll find them traveling to all parts of the country as the show progresses, ala Mulder & Scully.

Jon
post #55 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDntheCity View Post

will be a bit odd to see Jensen Ackles back-to-back in two different series

Almost back-to-back-to-back. He was a regular on the last season FOX's Dark Angel before jumping to Smallville a few seasons later. I didn't watch the entire pilot, but the Scully/Mulder reference was funny.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #56 of 2781 Old 09-16-2005, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Almost back-to-back-to-back. He was a regular on the last season FOX's Dark Angel before jumping to Smallville a few seasons later. I didn't watch the entire pilot, but the Scully/Mulder reference was funny.

actually I was referring to the fact that he was on a season 4 episode of SMALLVILLE that aired just before the re-airing of the SUPERNATURAL pilot on thurs. but you're right-just never watched DARK ANGEL. appropriately, in a way, it was the SMALLVILLE episode where Jason Teague is shot by Lionel Luthor & falls into a raging river.
i think Jensen was funny period in the pilot. wise-guy attitude AND an old-school metalhead!!-gotta love it. Sam's right tho-cassettes in this day & age? maybe Sam should tell Dean he could sharpen the edges of CD's & use them as weapons in an emergency!!LOL!!!!!

jim

expensive"- R. A. Janek
post #57 of 2781 Old 09-17-2005, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiehl View Post

I guess you missed the line that their next town (where Dad went) was like a 8+ hr drive? Not exactly "right down the street". This isn't Sunnydale, CA. I think we'll find them traveling to all parts of the country as the show progresses, ala Mulder & Scully.

I guess you missed the post I was responding to where this question was asked (in reference to Bones):

Quote:
And where in the world are they that they happen upon one unsolvable murder after another each and every day?

So I wrote (referring to Supernatural):

Quote:
They are right down the street from all the supernatural events that seem to occur daily

Now all this revolved around my supposition that I was surprised that more posters seemed to prefer Supernatural over Bones.

Cliff notes complete

Jimbo--------Bomb's Away
post #58 of 2781 Old 09-17-2005, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma957 View Post

These guys are supposed to be experts on supernatural stuff, but it didn't appear that they had any clue how to fight the ghost except to try shooting at it.

I don't think Dean really believed shooting the ghost would kill it. He was just trying to distract it long enough for Sam to drive the car into the house.

Josh Z

post #59 of 2781 Old 09-20-2005, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This show kinda reminds me of a cross between X-files and Freakylinks.

We were unlucky enough to get it in SD. Our WLMT shows UPN shows during normal time and the WB starting at 10. The engineer set it up for us to get the west coast feed in HD. But someone missed it this past week.

Grit N Grind
Glory Glory Man United
Go Cubs Go
post #60 of 2781 Old 09-20-2005, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Regarding the "darkness": it was absolutely beautiful in HD on my Sony XBR CRT. There were details in the shadows, the faces were well lit and natural, and overall it gave the show a creepy quality. It was the best "dark" show on TV that I've seen for showing off a good HD set...Not as good as the Master and Commander DVD...but good.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Wharfedale WH-2 (rears)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page