Forum Jump: 
 250Likes

post #18451 of 19392 Old 02-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any chance we will ever get fox soccer plus in HD on Verizon FiOS? I'm paying $15 per month extra for this one single channel and we only get it in the worst quality squashed letterbox blurry SD. Now that the Australian rules football season is starting up again I'd love to see it in HD. Optimum cable offers it in HD as part of a much better value sports package but I can't switch due to family preferences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18452 of 19392 Old 03-02-2015, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Has any one been able to get Verizon to upgrade the Verizon router without paying or signing up for another contact? I think mine is still Wi-Fi g, not even n.
post #18453 of 19392 Old 03-03-2015, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
hey folks i'm guessing this isn't the right place to post this but if you could direct me to where I should move it I'd appreciate it - here goes:

I switched to FiOS a couple weeks ago due to being extremely happy with the service at my previous residence.

After the first couple days the volume on my Family room TV seems to be extremely glitchy. Here is my setup:

FiOS DVR = Arris VMS1100
AV Receiver = Onkyo TX-NR818
TV = LG LX9500

All connections are via HDMI, and everything is controlled via a Logitech Harmony Ultimate universal remote.

When I turn everything on (regardless of the order - I have switched up the order the devices turn on), I get picture and no sound. On every channel. On recorded shows. On SD and HD channels. But ONLY on this TV. Our other TVs don't seem to be affected by the issue.

This morning I went ahead and connected the Arris directly to the TV bypassing the Onkyo and I got sound. Now I know enough about AV setups that this doesn't really say anything about the cause of the issue (could be with the Onkyo and could be with the Arris).

I was hoping that someone could guide me through troubleshooting the Arris, as I am not about to go out and get another AV Receiver if I don't have to.

Also note that the volume comes and goes. After a while it will return, only to go away. If I turn everything off and then back on again it seems to work, unless it doesn't.

Previously I had DirecTV's HDDVR, and I haven't changed anything with my setup other than the DVRs. Same inputs, same HDMI cables, same everything. This is what makes me think that it has to do with the way that the Arris is setup.

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, , PS4, XBox360, Wii, FiOS

Den: Sony XBR-65X900E, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, FiOS, AppleTV v3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18454 of 19392 Old 03-03-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked: 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post
This morning I went ahead and connected the Arris directly to the TV bypassing the Onkyo and I got sound. Now I know enough about AV setups that this doesn't really say anything about the cause of the issue (could be with the Onkyo and could be with the Arris).

Does the Onkyo pass any other HDMI signals with sound, like a Blu-ray player? If so, it's a setting in the Arris. If not, It's the Onkyo. Unfortunately, Onkyos are known for failing HDMI boards. If it's the receiver, check this thread for repair: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...il-2018-a.html

If I'm understanding this properly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post
After the first couple days the volume on my Family room TV seems to be extremely glitchy. Here is my setup:

It was working and started getting glitchy? If so, it's the Onkyo. That's what they do when they fail.

Last edited by zeus33; 03-03-2015 at 10:27 AM.
post #18455 of 19392 Old 03-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Does the Onkyo pass any other HDMI signals with sound, like a Blu-ray player? If so, it's a setting in the Arris. If not, It's the Onkyo. Unfortunately, Onkyos are known for failing HDMI boards. If it's the receiver, check this thread for repair: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...il-2018-a.html

If I'm understanding this properly:

It was working and started getting glitchy? If so, it's the Onkyo. That's what they do when they fail.
I have had plenty of Onkyo products and unfortunately i'm familiar with the HDMI board failure process. Suffice it to say that issue is not unique to Onkyo but rather across the industry. I digress......when an HDMI board fails you (usually) see video issues as well but since there are no such issues i'm thinking that this is a handshake issue between the Arris and the Onkyo. There has to be an audio setting on the Arris that, when changed, will solve the problem.

I have another Onkyo receiver in the basement and i'll probably swap them out to see if the issue persists with both and if so that should also point the finger at the Arris.

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, , PS4, XBox360, Wii, FiOS

Den: Sony XBR-65X900E, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, FiOS, AppleTV v3
post #18456 of 19392 Old 03-07-2015, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 121
So how long will it be until Verizon sells off its East Coast FiOS TV / Internet service?
post #18457 of 19392 Old 03-07-2015, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
So how long will it be until Verizon sells off its East Coast FiOS TV / Internet service?

As soon as they can. Only problem is, who can afford to buy it? I would love Google TV to purchase it since Frontier is LOUSY!
post #18458 of 19392 Old 03-07-2015, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post
As soon as they can. Only problem is, who can afford to buy it? I would love Google TV to purchase it since Frontier is LOUSY!
Not going to happen. No one can afford to buy it, and getting that sort of deal by the MA and NY regulators would be near impossible.
post #18459 of 19392 Old 03-08-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9179mhb View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Not going to happen. No one can afford to buy it, and getting that sort of deal by the MA and NY regulators would be near impossible.
It's my understanding that VZ wants to keep their East Coast ops. They're dumping the "far flung" stuff...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #18460 of 19392 Old 03-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
It's my understanding that VZ wants to keep their East Coast ops. They're dumping the "far flung" stuff...

I deeply believe if they could sell FiOS TV in entirety, they would today.
post #18461 of 19392 Old 03-08-2015, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. The only two that are questionable are Pittsburgh and Buffalo, but they sort of fit into the BOS-WAS FIOS operations. I believe that they want to keep VA, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, and MA, and in that context, Pittsburgh and Buffalo probably fit.
post #18462 of 19392 Old 03-08-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
I deeply believe if they could sell FiOS TV in entirety, they would today.
Why? Is it not profitable? They sure charge enough for it.
post #18463 of 19392 Old 03-08-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
Yeah. The only two that are questionable are Pittsburgh and Buffalo, but they sort of fit into the BOS-WAS FIOS operations. I believe that they want to keep VA, MD, DE, PA, NJ, NY, CT, and MA, and in that context, Pittsburgh and Buffalo probably fit.
Isn't their video hub near Buffalo?

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #18464 of 19392 Old 03-08-2015, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
They sure charge enough for it.
No doubt, but you are correct, I think they just didn't get the customer base they were hoping, very very competitive market.
post #18465 of 19392 Old 03-08-2015, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 155
They sure do charge a lot BUT they were literally less than half the price I was paying for DirecTV when I switch many years ago and far more reliable (in my opinion). I also felt that DirecTV has lost their edge due to bandwidth restraints. Back in the day DirecTV had an SD picture quality that was DVD Quality (and they boasted that) since the introduction of HD they started compressing the heck out of their SD Channels to the point that they aren't even worth watching anymore.

As for FIOS their prices keep going up and up with no relief for people that has been with them since the day they went live! Back in the day you used to be able to call up / threaten to cancel and they would do whatever it took within reason to keep you as a customer. Today they say ok we will cancel you, what day / date do you want to end your service. They have the attitude that they are "The Best" and cost more because they are the best (they have actually said this to me on the phone).

While that is arguably true it really isn't the best attitude to portray, they've had that attitude with their wireless for the longest time and now they are being forced to compete as others are killing them on price. They are lucky that the others around me aren't doing what they can to entice people away. Since I've started with them my bill has gone up about 40% since day 1 which is insane but I check with Crap-Cast and RCN (which they would have to pay me to go back to them) and they are pretty much the same price within a few $.

Yes you can play the game of switching back and forth between providers to get their new customer deals but even then they really aren't that great and worth switching. My friend is lucky enough to live with his g/f (which obviously has a different last name than he does) so every other year they drop the service and start it back up in the others name. He's even told them he doesn't want / need their gift card or whatever just give him the new customer price and they refuse every time so he just has to go without the service for a day at the most.

Now if we could somehow get Google Fiber here in MA, I would drop FIOS. My bill would go down a bunch and I would have 1Gb/Sec of Internet Speed!
Phantom Stranger likes this.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #18466 of 19392 Old 03-09-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I didn't know FiOS wasn't financially profitable for Verizon. They certainly do charge a lot, and I have no idea if it's equivalent to other carriers.

I dread renewal time, and it's upon me in less than a month. I usually get them to agree to keep the total bill the same, but the first time the new contract's bill arrives, it's been all mucked up, and it takes several calls/e-mails/forum complaints over two months' time to get it corrected.

But, based upon anecdotal evidence from visiting friends'/relatives' homes who have Comcast or DirecTV, the FiOS picture quality is better, so I'd rather stay with them than take the chance on switching.
post #18467 of 19392 Old 03-09-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Isn't their video hub near Buffalo?
Could be. I'm not sure where their VHOs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
They sure do charge a lot BUT they were literally less than half the price I was paying for DirecTV when I switch many years ago and far more reliable (in my opinion). I also felt that DirecTV has lost their edge due to bandwidth restraints. Back in the day DirecTV had an SD picture quality that was DVD Quality (and they boasted that) since the introduction of HD they started compressing the heck out of their SD Channels to the point that they aren't even worth watching anymore.
Who cares about SD channels? Also, DirecTV may not be as good as FIOS, but it's a heck of a lot beter than Comcast or most other cable providers, who are compressing the living crap out of their channels.

Quote:
Now if we could somehow get Google Fiber here in MA, I would drop FIOS. My bill would go down a bunch and I would have 1Gb/Sec of Internet Speed!
You must live in Framingham, Arlington, or an area near there? You are incredibly lucky to have 3 MSOs capable of 100+mbps. Google Fiber is never going to touch areas like that, as they already have plenty of competition. Also, FIOS is QAM-based, Google Fiber isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
I didn't know FiOS wasn't financially profitable for Verizon. They certainly do charge a lot, and I have no idea if it's equivalent to other carriers.
It is very profitable for them. The problem is that their investors have the attention span of a two year old, and want profits NOW with little investment, not 20- or 30-year telco investments. Also, McAdams and Shamwow are both idiots and are running the wireline side of the company into the ground chasing short-term wireless profits.
post #18468 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Weatherscan (ch 49) and The Weather Channel are gone this morning in Northern VA. No advance warning, which sucks because my two year old loves the music on 49.
Quote:
Dear Valued Verizon Customer,

Verizon’s agreements to carry The Weather Channel and Weather Scan have expired, and have not been renewed. In today’s environment, customers are increasingly accessing weather information not only from their TV but from a variety of online sources and apps. Verizon is therefore pleased to launch the new AccuWeather Network, which will be available on FiOS TV on channel 119/619 (HD) and on our free FiOS Mobile App starting March 10, 2015. Verizon will also provide the FiOS TV WeatherBug “widget” application, which features hyper-local weather, on FiOS TV channel 49. WeatherBug can also be launched by pressing the “widget” button on the FiOS TV remote.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Devin Clancy; 03-10-2015 at 04:39 AM. Reason: formatting
post #18469 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 04:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin Clancy View Post
Weatherscan (ch 49) and The Weather Channel are gone this morning in Northern VA. No advance warning, which sucks because my two year old loves the music on 49.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very upset with the TWC being cancelled. I watch during the big snow storms. The Boston coverage was great. They also do a tremendous job covering hurricanes and tornados. I have no idea why Verizon did this with all the garbage HD channels they carry. I imagine that TWC was asking for big fees to carry their channel.
post #18470 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Twc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw1 View Post
Very upset with the TWC being cancelled. I watch during the big snow storms. The Boston coverage was great. They also do a tremendous job covering hurricanes and tornados. I have no idea why Verizon did this with all the garbage HD channels they carry. I imagine that TWC was asking for big fees to carry their channel.
Verizon. Bring back TWC!!!
aaronwt likes this.
post #18471 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 AM

This is the first time I can remember Verizon dropping a major channel like this.

They have never pulled the "fight with a carrier and drop channels" thing that Time Warner and DISH do all the time. Doesn't seem like a good sign.

Also, the thing that replaced Weather Channel on 619 was showing weather for Rochester, NY, this morning with a Tivo. Maybe you get actual local weather if you have one of their cable boxes?
post #18472 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 218
I got an email late last night or early this morning from Fios saying they could not come to terms with TWC and they were putting another weather channel on 619. Going on 49 is going to be something weatherbug related for local info.
post #18473 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Sorry but IMHO, TWC is a waste of bandwidth. If I want the weather, I pull out my phone and hit the weather app. If gives me all the weather I could possibly want for all the locations I want that info for. With NO commercials to boot. As for local storms, the OTA stations in Philly cover them or should I say, over cover them with as much information as one could possibly ever want.
dturturro likes this.

Louder is NOT better!
post #18474 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Sorry but IMHO, TWC is a waste of bandwidth. If I want the weather, I pull out my phone and hit the weather app. If gives me all the weather I could possibly want for all the locations I want that info for. With NO commercials to boot. As for local storms, the OTA stations in Philly cover them or should I say, over cover them with as much information as one could possibly ever want.
I agree about the usefulness of the channel. But I don't like the idea that FIOS will just drop channels the way those other companies do. To me, not having to put up with that garbage was one of the benefits of Verizon as a company.
post #18475 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
I agree about the usefulness of the channel. But I don't like the idea that FIOS will just drop channels the way those other companies do. To me, not having to put up with that garbage was one of the benefits of Verizon as a company.
Does Al Jazeera offer a weather channel?

Whats it like in Qatar today?
post #18476 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Quote:
What would be your solution then? They don't want to pay what they were paying. Hence, it is gone.

Louder is NOT better!
post #18477 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I am truly missing that moving fairly large local weather radar screen that was on 49.

It was always a quick hit to check weather cells in the area.
jamieva likes this.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #18478 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
Exactly. I can't believe people are mad about that garbage channel going away. TWC today is not the TWC of years past, that's for sure.
post #18479 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
I am truly missing that moving fairly large local weather radar screen that was on 49.

It was always a quick hit to check weather cells in the area.
Agreed. The Weather Channel – so-called, but anymore, not really – may be worthless, but Weatherscan definitely is not.

I still have more TVs than internet devices, and switching on Weatherscan is still more convenient than opening up an app.

Keep taking these conveniences away with the argument that this, that, or the other thing is available on the net, and pretty soon there won't be a reason for TV at all, anymore, so might as well cut the cord and just get everything from the net. Lots of people have already reached that conclusion, and the pay TV industry seems determined to keep pushing more and more folks in that direction.
post #18480 of 19392 Old 03-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post
Agreed. The Weather Channel – so-called, but anymore, not really – may be worthless, but Weatherscan definitely is not.

I still have more TVs than internet devices, and switching on Weatherscan is still more convenient than opening up an app.

Keep taking these conveniences away with the argument that this, that, or the other thing is available on the net, and pretty soon there won't be a reason for TV at all, anymore, so might as well cut the cord and just get everything from the net. Lots of people have already reached that conclusion, and the pay TV industry seems determined to keep pushing more and more folks in that direction.
i'm going to miss "highway to hell" the program that tells about the wreckers that work the roads up in alaska.
rjv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page