Forum Jump: 
 239Likes

post #19291 of 19376 Old 02-24-2019, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I got rid of the phone part of my package and cut my bill by $41.03 Oddly, Verizon doubled my internet speed and cut pricing for that by $10

Added OOMA and it only costs me $6.37

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19292 of 19376 Old 02-24-2019, 06:17 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8897 Post(s)
Liked: 5687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I knew everyone would like the new boxes For those looking for more of the "cord cutting" types of services, I understand the cable companies will be offering a new service that will be more in line with that so if you are on the fence, hang on a little longer.
Will the video quality offered be better than what they currently have with their qam channels? Because the last few years FiOS has been racing to get to the Terrible quality that Comcast has. They aren't quite as bad as Comcast yet, but they are getting close.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk

53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19293 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1769 Post(s)
Liked: 3533
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I have also been quite disappointed in the PQ of FIOS:
especially after the anticipation of waiting years for what I thought would be much better PQ than DirecTV or Comcast: FIOS just not deliver
I wanted to update my earlier post which was based on the legacy stb: now enjoying FIOS on the new ONE box set to output 4K: now FIOS does indeed deliver excellent PQ
jrref and Tweeter2002 like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19294 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
I got rid of the phone part of my package and cut my bill by $41.03 Oddly, Verizon doubled my internet speed and cut pricing for that by $10

Added OOMA and it only costs me $6.37
Did you have triple play?

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #19295 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
Did you have triple play?
I've been toying with OTT Services like Directv Now and others for about a year or so. I kept my Triple Play all this time.

So, I am now cutting back because my two year contract is over. I have TiVo so it's hard to let go. So, the Phone Bill was the target for now. Instead of contacting Verizon, I bought into Ooma. I paid there rather expensive Porting Fee to keep my phone number and let them deal with Verizon. My surprise was that Verizon contacted me by E-Mail informing me that my phones services were canceled. They, also, made a new offer for a Double Play. They doubled my Internet Speed and kept my Tv package but my costs were as stated... over $40 less.
aaronwt likes this.

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
post #19296 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4102 Post(s)
Liked: 3658
Quote:
I wanted to update my earlier post which was based on the legacy stb: now enjoying FIOS on the new ONE box set to output 4K: now FIOS does indeed deliver excellent PQ
there's that big of a difference between the new 4K box and the legacy 7232 one?...how?...nothing has changed as far as how they are transmitting the signals...the box just has the capability to upscale to 4K
post #19297 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
there's that big of a difference between the new 4K box and the legacy 7232 one?...how?...nothing has changed as far as how they are transmitting the signals...the box just has the capability to upscale to 4K
I don't know how: but the difference is there to my eyes: perhaps the legacy box was part of the issue
anyhow I highly recommend those with FIOS check out the new box

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
LG C9 OLED owner

post #19298 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4102 Post(s)
Liked: 3658
Quote:
I don't know how: but the difference is there to my eyes: perhaps the legacy box was part of the issue
anyhow I highly recommend those with FIOS check out the new box
I have a 4K TV (LG C7) but am still using the 7232...I tried the Quantum boxes and didn't like it (no native passthrough option, no external storage capability, PQ also didn't look as sharp)...the new 4K boxes are getting good reviews but until they start offering some actual 4K content (4K sporting events, VOD etc) I'm content sticking with Legacy
Gillietalls likes this.
post #19299 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 10:24 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
How does having the 4K box change the picture quality from their 1080i/720P QAM channels? Or is the 4K box receiving linear programming over IP instead of QAM?

Because if it's still QAM channels, the quality will be the same. My FiOS recordings look equally as bad whether on a UHD TV, 1080P TV, or on a PC. No matter what device is playing back the mpeg file.

post #19300 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmon4u View Post
I've been toying with OTT Services like Directv Now and others for about a year or so. I kept my Triple Play all this time.

So, I am now cutting back because my two year contract is over. I have TiVo so it's hard to let go. So, the Phone Bill was the target for now. Instead of contacting Verizon, I bought into Ooma. I paid there rather expensive Porting Fee to keep my phone number and let them deal with Verizon. My surprise was that Verizon contacted me by E-Mail informing me that my phones services were canceled. They, also, made a new offer for a Double Play. They doubled my Internet Speed and kept my Tv package but my costs were as stated... over $40 less.
I am in a similar situation, which is why I asked. I currently have Triple Play and my contract ends in 3 months. I was willing to break my contract late last year if I liked Directv Now or YouTube TV. I never got around to trying out either service. Plus, I kept reading about how the DVR for Directv was not ready for prime time.

Now, it seems like things have gotten better for both services so I am going to give their free trials a shot. I refuse to sign another long term 2 year contract with Verizon, or anyone for that matter. I am looking to go internet only from this point on. If Verizon offered a killer deal on one of their internet only plans, I might reconsider the contract since I need internet for all streaming services.

Thanks for the info on Double Play. I will mention that in my negotiations with them. I am already on the Gig plan so they can't offer anything faster to me lol.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950
post #19301 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
I am looking to go internet only from this point on. If Verizon offered a killer deal on one of their internet only plans, I might reconsider the contract since I need internet for all streaming services.
Even DIRECTV has essentially given up on their satellite business. The birds will be in the sky for years to come but they aren't shooting off any more of them. Plus, they are beta testing a STB that is 100% IP to mirror their satellite channel line-up. This new STB will also have the ability to pull in local channels with an over-the-air dongle (to keep down costs?)...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #19302 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi All..

New Verizon FIOS customer coming from 20 some years of Comcast and I have 2 questions..

1. My current setup is Verizon box in the house -> CAT5 -> Linksys router WAN PORT -> Verizon Gateway -> Devices
- Internet works fine with the key being that I am not using the Verizon gateway as the first ingress from the NIC box or whatever it's called.

I do have to connect my Verizon TV Box network port to this as I can't seem to find away to change the SSID the TV box is using?

2. Trying to do my normal AV setup and I'm having no luck with this being what I tried:
Verizon TV box -> HDMI -> ARC Input on Pioneer Elite C-7030 -> HDMI out on Pioneer to TV

When I go that route it;s like the Verizon box doesnt pass the signal on to the receiver for proper switching.
Verizon told me to connect the Verizon TV box directly to the TV via HDMI and then use the HDMI out on the TV To the receiver for AV.

Any thoughts on what the right way to get this going is? Trying to leverage the surround system I Have and going TV first just seems very different then how I had Dolby Digital or whatever presenting out of my old comcast box.
post #19303 of 19376 Old 02-25-2019, 04:31 PM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwprof View Post
Hi All..

New Verizon FIOS customer coming from 20 some years of Comcast and I have 2 questions..

1. My current setup is Verizon box in the house -> CAT5 -> Linksys router WAN PORT -> Verizon Gateway -> Devices
- Internet works fine with the key being that I am not using the Verizon gateway as the first ingress from the NIC box or whatever it's called.

I do have to connect my Verizon TV Box network port to this as I can't seem to find away to change the SSID the TV box is using?

2. Trying to do my normal AV setup and I'm having no luck with this being what I tried:
Verizon TV box -> HDMI -> ARC Input on Pioneer Elite C-7030 -> HDMI out on Pioneer to TV

When I go that route it;s like the Verizon box doesnt pass the signal on to the receiver for proper switching.
Verizon told me to connect the Verizon TV box directly to the TV via HDMI and then use the HDMI out on the TV To the receiver for AV.

Any thoughts on what the right way to get this going is? Trying to leverage the surround system I Have and going TV first just seems very different then how I had Dolby Digital or whatever presenting out of my old comcast box.
Using the ARC(Audio Return Channel) it should work fine. If your TV and receiver is capable of working with DD+ over the ARC, then it should be the same as going through the receiver first.
Otherwise if it's only DD/DTS content, then it should also work fine over the ARC. I know my old 2012 1080P( and a 2015 UHD TV) set worked fine with DD/DTS over the ARC.

And my 2018 UHD TV works with DD+/Atmos over the ARC.

post #19304 of 19376 Old 02-26-2019, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

has anyone used their new ONE series client stb?
I am told it is wireless only: is it a 4k box?
I am looking for a second box for a bedroom

tia

LG C9 OLED owner

post #19305 of 19376 Old 02-26-2019, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Using the ARC(Audio Return Channel) it should work fine. If your TV and receiver is capable of working with DD+ over the ARC, then it should be the same as going through the receiver first.
Otherwise if it's only DD/DTS content, then it should also work fine over the ARC. I know my old 2012 1080P( and a 2015 UHD TV) set worked fine with DD/DTS over the ARC.

And my 2018 UHD TV works with DD+/Atmos over the ARC.

Yup..tried that ...

STB box out via HDMI to ARC on Pioneer then Pioneer HDMI out to TV.
Verizon support says you cant run the STB to a receiver first and that it needs to be directly connected to the TV?
post #19306 of 19376 Old 02-26-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked: 5143
Quote:
has anyone used their new ONE series client stb?
I am told it is wireless only: is it a 4k box?
I am looking for a second box for a bedroom

tia
Yes it can be configured for wifi or wired and it's a 4K box.
markrubin likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #19307 of 19376 Old 02-26-2019, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Maybe just the way you worded it but STB does not connect to AVR ARC. ARC only goes between TV and AVR.
TV to AVR - ARC port
STB - some other AVR HDMI port

To test, use some streaming app on TV and be sure you get audio from AVR. Change AVR HDMI input to STB and you should get sound from AVR. TV is not part of this audio chain. ARC is only for sound sourced from the TV to the AVR. Internal streaming apps, OTA antenna, or if a device such as STB is connected to TV HDMI port.

Either connecting STB to AVR or TV Hdmi port will work. The difference is do you want the TV or the AVR to be the input switcher?

Quote:
Yup..tried that ...

Verizon support says you cant run the STB to a receiver first and that it needs to be directly connected to the TV?

Last edited by sjm817; 02-26-2019 at 06:57 AM.
post #19308 of 19376 Old 02-26-2019, 06:39 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Yup..tried that ...

Using the ARC you go to the TV first, not the receiver.

The STB will use one of the other HDMI inputs on the TV. It will send audio and video to the TV. Then the TV will use the ARC to send audio to the receiver. TVs and receivers have had this capability for many years now.

Sent from my Nexus 7(32GB) using Tapatalk

post #19309 of 19376 Old 02-26-2019, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes it can be configured for wifi or wired and it's a 4K box.
thanks

what I prefer to do is use a single box for both 4k and HD by using a device like the HD Fury Vertex or this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had some luck doing this with the Comcast X1 4K stb and the Vertex but it was fussy sometimes and required a reboot

LG C9 OLED owner

post #19310 of 19376 Old 02-26-2019, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the help!!!

So that seems different compared to how I had Comcast Cable setup which was out of comcast box via HDMI to SAT\CABL HDMI in on Receiver then HDMI out to TV.
This allowed me to switch between different inputs easily on the receiver.

If Im reading the above posts correct then the Verizon flow is:

Verizon STB HDMI out to TV
TV to any of the HDMI inputs on the receiver
post #19311 of 19376 Old 02-26-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 710 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Thanks for the help!!!

So that seems different compared to how I had Comcast Cable setup which was out of comcast box via HDMI to SAT\CABL HDMI in on Receiver then HDMI out to TV.
This allowed me to switch between different inputs easily on the receiver.

If Im reading the above posts correct then the Verizon flow is:

Verizon STB HDMI out to TV
TV to any of the HDMI inputs on the receiver
There are two ways to do it.

In both cases:
Connect the HDMI ARC port of the TV to ARC port of AVR (not any port)

Method 1: Connect STB to HDMI input of AVR
Use AVR to switch to STB input
Audio path is STB->AVR *
*ARC is not used for STB audio in this case. ARC would be used for onboard TV apps.

Method 2: Connect STB to HDMI input of TV
Use TV to switch to STB input
Audio path is STB->TV HDMI in ->TV ARC out->AVR ARC in
markrubin likes this.

Last edited by sjm817; 02-26-2019 at 12:31 PM.
post #19312 of 19376 Old 02-28-2019, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
The ORBI router will fix your problem because you can add a satellite and get full house coverage. No single wifi device is going to cover your house 100% with the configuration you described.
Quote:
I have the new boxes. The biggest pro is it can scale everything to 4k and it works very well. As good as my new Sony can do so the PQ is slightly sharper than with the old boxes. It has a voice remote which really works well. I was very surprised and the boxes are very small. It's using a 2 1/2 inch disk drive. Super quiet. Netflix 4K HDR app is now resident in the box but no YouTube HDR yet. Netflix works great and the HDR is accurate. No DolbyVision. The remote, non-DVR box can be connected via wifi.

Cons: If you are one of those people who has to have a clock on their cable box, no more clock. Also you can use the old remote but the new remote is minimized, way less buttons, probably since you press one button and say what you want. You can say "play last recording" or "what football games are on" or move forward three seconds".

My guess they are setting up for 4k broadcasts and streaming.

Some people are going to love the new boxes and some aren't is my guess.
The remote only or both box and remote can be wirelessly connected.

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
post #19313 of 19376 Old 02-28-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
[QUOTE=jrref;57621494]

But with all this, sometimes the installation is not done right or there is a problem with the fiber optic levels, or something not right with the cabling in your home, etc, and just like any other cable company, you may get a substandard picture. It also depends on which channels you watch. No all channels are at full bandwidth and there are still a lot of old STBs out there that Verizon is trying to replace for free preventing moving on to using newer codecs.[QUOTE]

How is can this be verified by calling tech support?

Projector: VPLHW40ES + DIY 125" Screen AVR: CX-A5100 + B&K REF 200.7
Speakers: DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP2000(FL/FR), CLR2000 (C), DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY BP10 (RL/RR),
MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling ATMOS/DTS), (4) MONITOR AUDIO CT265FX (Ceiling R/L REAR SURR)
post #19314 of 19376 Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 165 Post(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked: 5143
[quote=Tweeter2002;57673786][QUOTE=jrref;57621494]

But with all this, sometimes the installation is not done right or there is a problem with the fiber optic levels, or something not right with the cabling in your home, etc, and just like any other cable company, you may get a substandard picture. It also depends on which channels you watch. No all channels are at full bandwidth and there are still a lot of old STBs out there that Verizon is trying to replace for free preventing moving on to using newer codecs.
Quote:

How is can this be verified by calling tech support?
The remote uses Bluetooth always and the remote box can be configured to use wifi instead of hard wired. The above comment is possible and is why some people have not so great experiences, but usually the installation goes well and you will be satisfied with the picture quality, especially with the new set top boxes.

The problem is there are some people, especially on AVS that want a perfect full bandwidth picture from cable. Although it's possible, the cable companies are handicapped because there is not enough bandwidth for all the channels that everyone wants. This is why they were looking at IPTV and it looks like their streaming services, in whatever form that takes place as we move forward, will be the solution. Verizon provides a Netflix app in the STB that works great, 4K and HDR full bandwidth.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #19315 of 19376 Old 03-05-2019, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi All..

I just went through a similar situation with 3 devices (BluRay player, Apple 4K TV, and new Verizon box (VMS-4100)) connected via HDMI 1,2,3 to a Denon AVR-1909 Receiver, with all video output via HDMI to Plasma TV, and all audio processed through receiver to DefTech Speaker 5.1 system.

After some trials and tribulations (and help from AVS Forum), I learned that the Verizon FiOS One Voice Remote sends an IR code to your receiver every time you power up on the remote, that assigns the VMS-4100 output to a specific input on your receiver. On the Denon Receiver, the Voice Remote assigns the Verizon STB/DVR to "VCR" (default for HDMI 3). I've briefly reviewed the Diagnostics / User Settings menus for the VMS-4100, and I don't see any way to defeat this. So, basically, you have to determine which input on your receiver the STB will be assigned to, and then connect your components accordingly.

After I reassigned the inputs on my receiver appropriately, everything seems to work fine,

good luck!
post #19316 of 19376 Old 03-19-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1405
Verizon finally having 4K set top boxes is excellent news. I've been thinking about switching to DirecTV just for those 3 4K channels they got. It would be nice to see some of the televised sporting events in 4K. Any news on if or when FIOS may get a dedicated 4K channel or two. Definitely too late for the NCAA Final Four, but the NBA playoffs are right around the corner. Wouldn't even mind catching some baseball games in 4K as well. Really don't want to go the satellite route...

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #19317 of 19376 Old 03-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
Verizon finally having 4K set top boxes is excellent news. I've been thinking about switching to DirecTV just for those 3 4K channels they got. It would be nice to see some of the televised sporting events in 4K. Any news on if or when FIOS may get a dedicated 4K channel or two. Definitely too late for the NCAA Final Four, but the NBA playoffs are right around the corner. Wouldn't even mind catching some baseball games in 4K as well. Really don't want to go the satellite route...
Regardless of what anyone says, there are no real actual 4K channels. There's one small company with 8 or so 4K channels, but those are much like the novelty HD channels that existed in the early 2000s. I think 4K is in a place largely like 3D, a novelty that has few real adopters. While many TVs sold with the capabilities, it never took off. 4K is experiencing many of the same problems thus far.

Any of the programming is being provided on a very small scale, and is being done so out of largely agreements the companies have with providers directly. There's nothing necessarily preventing Verizon from doing that, but no cable or telco has been given that option to even bring in programming. When it does come, it will likely be IP-only because of how much bandwidth it would take to provide over QAM. There's still no capability for OTA 4K either, which is part of what's hindering it being adopted.

As a former DirecTV customer, I emphasize strongly no matter how much you might want "4K", don't get DirecTV. It's worse than you imagine. It's horrifically overpriced, the boxes are incredibly slow, and the delivery mechanism is a dinosaur on the path to being obsolete.
markrubin and Gillietalls like this.
post #19318 of 19376 Old 03-19-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post
Regardless of what anyone says, there are no real actual 4K channels. There's one small company with 8 or so 4K channels, but those are much like the novelty HD channels that existed in the early 2000s. I think 4K is in a place largely like 3D, a novelty that has few real adopters. While many TVs sold with the capabilities, it never took off. 4K is experiencing many of the same problems thus far.

Any of the programming is being provided on a very small scale, and is being done so out of largely agreements the companies have with providers directly. There's nothing necessarily preventing Verizon from doing that, but no cable or telco has been given that option to even bring in programming. When it does come, it will likely be IP-only because of how much bandwidth it would take to provide over QAM. There's still no capability for OTA 4K either, which is part of what's hindering it being adopted.

As a former DirecTV customer, I emphasize strongly no matter how much you might want "4K", don't get DirecTV. It's worse than you imagine. It's horrifically overpriced, the boxes are incredibly slow, and the delivery mechanism is a dinosaur on the path to being obsolete.
I don't agree with your analysis about 4K being like 3D. 3D required special manufacturing techniques, new transmission protocols and special hardware on the user side. 4K really requires nothing so advanced and essentially every TV sold today can support 4K. Even if the display doesn't have 4K pixels, software can downscale it to the panel resolution. The genie is out of the bottle, they will not go back to manufacturing sub-4k displays.

As encode and decoding hardware become more powerful, we can expect bandwidth requirements to equal 1080i when it first appeared 20 years ago. Naturally as broadcast equipment is replaced due to age, they likely will support 4K end to end. Someday we will be receiving broadcasts in 4K.

Regarding the transmissions, in the US, several broadcasters have beta 4K channels such as Fox, NBC, & beIn which only broadcast during events. There are more than just niche providers, they just aren't full time yet.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.30 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #19319 of 19376 Old 03-19-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post
Ironically, they have the most 4K material among the traditional providers. I am a DIRECTV customer with no issues. Their "delivery mechanism" has the best PQ I've seen versus FiOS and Cox Cable and my equipment is old. The satellite path is becoming obsolete though. They are beta-testing an all-IP set top box that will mirror the sat lineup. Looking at getting a 4K TV. Plan to upgrade my DIRECTV equipment BUT it would be a bit crazy to invest any of my funds to do so... It'll have to be a "free" (2-year commitment) upgrade...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #19320 of 19376 Old 03-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
I don't agree with your analysis about 4K being like 3D. 3D required special manufacturing techniques, new transmission protocols and special hardware on the user side. 4K really requires nothing so advanced and essentially every TV sold today can support 4K. Even if the display doesn't have 4K pixels, software can downscale it to the panel resolution. The genie is out of the bottle, they will not go back to manufacturing sub-4k displays.

As encode and decoding hardware become more powerful, we can expect bandwidth requirements to equal 1080i when it first appeared 20 years ago. Naturally as broadcast equipment is replaced due to age, they likely will support 4K end to end. Someday we will be receiving broadcasts in 4K.

Regarding the transmissions, in the US, several broadcasters have beta 4K channels such as Fox, NBC, & beIn which only broadcast during events. There are more than just niche providers, they just aren't full time yet.
Regardless of whether the TVs can support the capability, for a time, almost every TV had some sort of 3D capability, came with the glasses, etc. Yes, there were many obstacles to adoption, different standards between the various TV manufacturers, etc.

We're in an era where the screens are getting smaller and smaller, more people are watching things on the go, on tablets and smartphones, and less on larger TVs, and with traditional pay TV becoming less essential in the modern home to many families, I think adoption is going to be a steep learning curve. Add in the additional fees for getting 4K content on streaming services like Netflix, and I don't think we're going to see widespread adoption. In many ways, even HD wasn't that widely adopted. In Comcast areas where additional HD fees are required plus the box fees, there are plenty of people and places that I see running the SD channels to this day.

I'm with you that as equipment is replaced at the broadcast level, it will become more mainstream. But considering the consolidation of the broadcast spectrum to fewer and fewer channels, I'm skeptical that we'll see affiliates ever offer OTA 4K, since they're splitting their signals more and more ways with doubling up main channels, adding more subchannels, etc. I think it could very well become "Is the juice worth the squeeze?" situation when the audience is continuing to shrink, get older and less affluent, certainly for broadcast TV. Some station groups might, I doubt somebody like Sinclair will really invest. It wasn't that long ago in this market that they refused to broadcast news in HD (and this is a Top 50 market).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page