post #19321 of 19392 Old 03-20-2019, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan123 View Post
I don't agree with your analysis about 4K being like 3D. 3D required special manufacturing techniques, new transmission protocols and special hardware on the user side. 4K really requires nothing so advanced and essentially every TV sold today can support 4K. Even if the display doesn't have 4K pixels, software can downscale it to the panel resolution. The genie is out of the bottle, they will not go back to manufacturing sub-4k displays.

As encode and decoding hardware become more powerful, we can expect bandwidth requirements to equal 1080i when it first appeared 20 years ago. Naturally as broadcast equipment is replaced due to age, they likely will support 4K end to end. Someday we will be receiving broadcasts in 4K.

Regarding the transmissions, in the US, several broadcasters have beta 4K channels such as Fox, NBC, & beIn which only broadcast during events. There are more than just niche providers, they just aren't full time yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
Ironically, they have the most 4K material among the traditional providers. I am a DIRECTV customer with no issues. Their "delivery mechanism" has the best PQ I've seen versus FiOS and Cox Cable and my equipment is old. The satellite path is becoming obsolete though. They are beta-testing an all-IP set top box that will mirror the sat lineup. Looking at getting a 4K TV. Plan to upgrade my DIRECTV equipment BUT it would be a bit crazy to invest any of my funds to do so... It'll have to be a "free" (2-year commitment) upgrade...
The dinosaur for them is that they can't bundle DirecTV with internet. In this day and age, that prevents them from offering a 21st Century product. Their On Demand mechanism is the most laughable thing I've ever seen in my life. I realize they can do this in the AT&T areas, not so much in Verizon territory.

The only way I'd even dream of considering them when they'd go all IP is if I didn't have to buy or lease equipment to do so, meaning no contracts. The template is being set for this by a lot of smaller cable companies going to an all-IP delivery system. See Fidelity Communications as an example in the Southwest (MO, AR, OK, TX, LA). Their new TV product is something where you hook in your Roku, Android TV, Apple TV, etc., and all the delivery is through BYOD. DirecTV probably needs to follow that template going forward, as everyone in the industry does. Pure streaming services are going to win in a landscape with proprietary boxes and expensive equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19322 of 19392 Old 03-20-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolesmagic View Post
The dinosaur for them is that they can't bundle DirecTV with internet. In this day and age, that prevents them from offering a 21st Century product.
True... one can bundle their wireless product with the sat service though. WHEN 5G wireless is widespread, this will be a game changer... it is at least several years away if not more. AT&T could eventually bundle wireless, TV (satellite or an all-IP product) and home internet [via 5G - no wires (coax or fiber)].

Quote:
Their On Demand mechanism is the most laughable thing I've ever seen in my life.
I agree. It's stuck in the late 90s. Since we sub to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and watch movies thru others like Vudu, Fandango, etc., DTV's On Demand is a non-factor for us...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #19323 of 19392 Old 03-20-2019, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
True... one can bundle their wireless product with the sat service though. WHEN 5G wireless is widespread, this will be a game changer... it is at least several years away if not more. AT&T could eventually bundle wireless, TV (satellite or an all-IP product) and home internet [via 5G - no wires (coax or fiber)].

I agree. It's stuck in the late 90s. Since we sub to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and watch movies thru others like Vudu, Fandango, etc., DTV's On Demand is a non-factor for us...
I had an HR34, so I needed a separate box to be able to access On Demand, and then I needed to download everything before watching. On a 25 Mbps Comcast connection, that would take usually hours. If it downloaded right at all. Selection was usually bad, and all the issues I had with recordings, I'd need to use On Demand to be able to see things.

When I switched to Fios, I finally felt I could use On Demand properly for the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19324 of 19392 Old 03-20-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had an HR34, so I needed a separate box to be able to access On Demand, and then I needed to download everything before watching. On a 25 Mbps Comcast connection, that would take usually hours. If it downloaded right at all. Selection was usually bad, and all the issues I had with recordings, I'd need to use On Demand to be able to see things.

When I switched to Fios, I finally felt I could use On Demand properly for the first time.
Yep... Some of the most popular stuff is already stored on the DVR, while the other things do need to be downloaded. It's NOT your Internet connection. I'm on FiOS' 100/100 and it still takes awhile to dl a movie. The connection must be slow on their (DTV's) end...

Robert F Corbin

post #19325 of 19392 Old 04-08-2019, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
So I’ve tried searching and I’ve gotten some conflicting info. I want to purchase my own modem, as Verizon is raising prices, to use with my FiOS setup. I have the triple play, with 2 distinct phone numbers and I use Google WiFi mesh with 2 satellites and 100MB up/down speeds. What modem(s) are compatible with that setup?
post #19326 of 19392 Old 04-09-2019, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturturro View Post
So I’ve tried searching and I’ve gotten some conflicting info. I want to purchase my own modem, as Verizon is raising prices, to use with my FiOS setup. I have the triple play, with 2 distinct phone numbers and I use Google WiFi mesh with 2 satellites and 100MB up/down speeds. What modem(s) are compatible with that setup?
You can buy the FiOS modem. I did that when I re-subscribed a year ago. FiOS sent me a new modem and it cost me $89. Wish I had done that years ago instead of renting it for $10 per month. I also use it with the Google WiFi mesh system.
post #19327 of 19392 Old 04-09-2019, 09:21 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8952 Post(s)
Liked: 5730
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghudson666 View Post
You can buy the FiOS modem. I did that when I re-subscribed a year ago. FiOS sent me a new modem and it cost me $89. Wish I had done that years ago instead of renting it for $10 per month. I also use it with the Google WiFi mesh system.
Verizon FiOS does not use modems. What you need is a router. I've been with FiOS since 2007 and I've always used my own router. A router is what connects to the Optical Network Terminal(ONT), not a modem.
dtv757 and jrref like this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #19328 of 19392 Old 04-09-2019, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
The Google Wi-Fi is providing the routing. My current Verizon device is a Gateway with the routing disabled. I currently have the G1100 Gateway. Verizon wants $200 for it, but I found a refurbished one for $105. I guess I'm trying to see if there's a compatible 3rd party model that's either cheaper or better.
post #19329 of 19392 Old 04-10-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
The Google Wi-Fi is providing the routing. My current Verizon device is a Gateway with the routing disabled. I currently have the G1100 Gateway. Verizon wants $200 for it, but I found a refurbished one for $105. I guess I'm trying to see if there's a compatible 3rd party model that's either cheaper or better.
Have you called FiOS and asked how much they will charge you for the router? You might have to play the "I am thinking of leaving FiOS" game. They sent me a new FiOS G1100 router that I own for $89 last year when I resubscribed.
dturturro likes this.
post #19330 of 19392 Old 04-10-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
They are such a pain with that game, I played it with them to get the Gigabit connection and my TV package which I was told was keeping my top 30 watched TV stations. I don't even watch 30 TV stations, let alone I am now without Discovery and NBC Sports. Ugh such a pain to deal with

Budget 9.2 setup Samsung 65" Plasma, Denon AVR-X4300H, KEF KHT3005BL 7.1, KEF Q-300, BIC America Formula F-12
post #19331 of 19392 Old 04-30-2019, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone know why Jimmy Kimmel and Stephen Colbert are no longer available On Demand?
post #19332 of 19392 Old 05-01-2019, 04:05 AM

Episode 3 of GOT looked horrible on HBO last Sunday

Anyone else have issues with the picture quality on HBO with FiOS channel 899? Last Sundays episode of Game Of Thrones "The Long Night" looked horrible. The episode was very dark since the battle was at night so that would be a challenge for many 4K LED HDTVs but this was spectacularly bad in a different way. Fast moving scenes would look like they were stuttering and I think it is called macro blocking when the picture looks like an old retro 8 bit video game like Minecraft. I tried messing with the picture settings on my 2018 Samsung NU8000 TV but I really could not make it any better. Last night I rewatched the same episode using the HBO GO app in my TV and the picture quality was great so the problem is with the picture quality on channel 899. I have noticed this before on the AMC channel when watching the Walking Dead but not as bad. Not sure if the issue is with HBO or FiOS but I guess it is related to the compression that they are using for the TV signal that is affecting the picture quality. Very frustrating when you are paying a lot of money for FiOS and your A/V equipment and the picture looks like crap.
thos19 and AudiophileWalt like this.
post #19333 of 19392 Old 05-01-2019, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Anyone else have issues with the picture quality on HBO with FiOS channel 899? Last Sundays episode of Game Of Thrones "The Long Night" looked horrible. The episode was very dark since the battle was at night so that would be a challenge for many 4K LED HDTVs but this was spectacularly bad in a different way. Fast moving scenes would look like they were stuttering and I think it is called macro blocking when the picture looks like an old retro 8 bit video game like Minecraft. I tried messing with the picture settings on my 2018 Samsung NU8000 TV but I really could not make it any better. Last night I rewatched the same episode using the HBO GO app in my TV and the picture quality was great so the problem is with the picture quality on channel 899. I have noticed this before on the AMC channel when watching the Walking Dead but not as bad. Not sure if the issue is with HBO or FiOS but I guess it is related to the compression that they are using for the TV signal that is affecting the picture quality. Very frustrating when you are paying a lot of money for FiOS and your A/V equipment and the picture looks like crap.
Your eyes are not deceiving you. FIOS pq is horrible compared to streaming, as you found out. I dropped the cable portion a month ago and never looked back. I did not realize how bad, compressed, and grainy FIOS is until I cut the cord and went with YTTV.

Even when had I had HBO through FIOS, I would use HBO GO for GOT because the PQ was a night and day difference.
aaronwt likes this.

LG OLED55B8PUA
LG OLED65C7P
LG UBK90
ATV 4K
Samsung HW-N950

Last edited by PlasmaHiDef; 05-01-2019 at 05:48 AM.
post #19334 of 19392 Old 05-01-2019, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought it also looked bad in Harrisburg, but I think some of it was the nature of the darkness. It was almost universal in the complaints regardless of provider. I do think it shows Fios has compressed the signal more than we'd like, and it really took its toll on this episode. The cinematographer from GoT basically blamed cable and satellite for their high compression rate of HBO.
post #19335 of 19392 Old 05-01-2019, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I have done the comparison and HBO Go's stream now looks better than HBO on FIOS. Do yourself a favor and watch via HBO Go app (which you are entitled to for free as a FIOS HBO Subscriber) instead.

Owner: Sony XBR-55A1E, Oppo BDP-103, Kenwood VR5900, Meadowlark Audio Heron-i
post #19336 of 19392 Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
I have done the comparison and HBO Go's stream now looks better than HBO on FIOS. Do yourself a favor and watch via HBO Go app (which you are entitled to for free as a FIOS HBO Subscriber) instead.
The video quality from HBO Go has looked better than HBO on FiOS for several years now.
Dmon4u, ghudson666 and jrref like this.

post #19337 of 19392 Old 05-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Streaming for this past Sunday was not that great either. I bet HBO did not want to get slammed (as this was a HUGE episode) and they compressed the hell out of it.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
post #19338 of 19392 Old 05-02-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The video quality from HBO Go has looked better than HBO on FiOS for several years now.
I noticed watching General Hospital (wifey's show) on Hulu that the PQ is better than our local's OTA signal which does one 1080i main and three 16x9 480i subs...

Robert F Corbin

post #19339 of 19392 Old 05-02-2019, 04:29 AM

Sad that with all of todays technologies we are paying for overly compressed signals from FiOS (or any cable TV provider).
aaronwt likes this.
post #19340 of 19392 Old 05-03-2019, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

FiOS did an update this week and now my Cisco DVR no longer remembers the last channel when turned off. It keeps going back to FiOS 1 the news channel. I already tried a reboot as well as set to FiOS 1 news and back to Last Channel viewed. Anyone else?

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
post #19341 of 19392 Old 05-03-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
FiOS did an update this week and now my Cisco DVR no longer remembers the last channel when turned off. It keeps going back to FiOS 1 the news channel. I already tried a reboot as well as set to FiOS 1 news and back to Last Channel viewed. Anyone else?
That sounds like a feature, not a bug. How else would they get you to watch a channel you don't care about.

LG 65C6P FW: 05.30.70 | Onkyo TX-RZ730 5.1.4 | Oppo UDP-203 | Sony UBP-X700 | Xbox One X | Chromecast Ultra | Apple TV 4K
LG 55EG9100 | LG 60PK550 | Samsung LN-S4095D | Samsung UBD‑K8500 | Philips BDP7501 | Panasonic DMP-BDT110
post #19342 of 19392 Old 05-03-2019, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I believe that is a config setting in one of the menus -- for the "Power On Channel". There should be a setting for "Last Channel Viewed" or a selected default channel...Perhaps the update just returned the setting to its default?

Owner: Sony XBR-55A1E, Oppo BDP-103, Kenwood VR5900, Meadowlark Audio Heron-i
post #19343 of 19392 Old 05-03-2019, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_bernstein View Post
I believe that is a config setting in one of the menus -- for the "Power On Channel". There should be a setting for "Last Channel Viewed" or a selected default channel...Perhaps the update just returned the setting to its default?
Yes I change it to Last Viewed Channel and it doesn’t stick.

Last edited by gossamer88; 05-05-2019 at 05:13 AM.
post #19344 of 19392 Old 05-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes I change it to Last Viewed Channel and it doesn’t stick.
So I solved it by disabling the new promo layout one gets when you turn off and turn back on the DVR.

When enabled (on by default after the recent update), and you turn on the DVR it shows the FiOS 1 news channel on the promo page.

Last edited by gossamer88; 05-05-2019 at 05:13 AM.
post #19345 of 19392 Old 05-05-2019, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked: 3745
Game of Thrones looked much better last night...luckily it was primarily set in the daytime so no issues as far as overly dark scenes with black crush/compression artifacts
post #19346 of 19392 Old 05-07-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Game of Thrones looked much better last night...luckily it was primarily set in the daytime so no issues as far as overly dark scenes with black crush/compression artifacts
IMO: The last episode of the Game Of Thrones only looked better because the majority of the scenes were in the daylight but the nighttime scenes still showed the crushed blacks because the signal is so over compressed. I will use the HBO Go app on my TV when I rewatch it this week. Not taking a chance of using the app when the new episode is live since so many complain about the app crashing with so many users trying to watch it live.
post #19347 of 19392 Old 05-07-2019, 05:45 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quick question: My Fios contract runs out in June. Who compresses their broadcast signals more, Fios or Xfinity?

I know it used to be a no-brainer to go with Fios. But if I can get a better deal from Xfinity, and they are about the same quality, now...?

Home theater:
Samsung UN65JS850DFXZA
Onkyo TX-RZ900 Receiver
Kinergetics / Chiro C300, C500 Amplifiers
Mirage 3si, Mcsi, OM-R2, BPSS-210
Tivo Roamio, AppleTV, Playstation 4, Harmony 900, Oppo BDP-103D
post #19348 of 19392 Old 05-07-2019, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thos19 View Post
Quick question: My Fios contract runs out in June. Who compresses their broadcast signals more, Fios or Xfinity?

I know it used to be a no-brainer to go with Fios. But if I can get a better deal from Xfinity, and they are about the same quality, now...?
Xfinity at this point might compress more than even AT&T U-Verse. Fios might have declined in terms of PQ, but it's still better than anything Comcast offers. Comcast has downcompressed almost all HD channels down to 720p, and has bitstarved all of its HD channels on MPEG-4, so I hear.
markrubin, dtv757, thos19 and 1 others like this.
post #19349 of 19392 Old 05-07-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 4279 Post(s)
Liked: 5233
Stay with FiOS.
dtv757 likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #19350 of 19392 Old 05-07-2019, 09:57 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thos19 View Post

Comcast has worse quality. But FiOS is racing to get down to their level. They both look like ass.

The almost vomit inducing video quality FiOS has now is the entire reason I switched to custom TV and now watch 99% of scripted and reality broadcast and cable shows from streaming services. The only thing I still watch from FIOS is news. And it looks like ass. Like all their other channels do now. All the streaming services blow away the FiOS video quality now. That was not the case even three years ago.

As bad as FiOS video quality is now, Comcast is even worse. But it is shocking how much of a difference there is between the FiOS video quality and the shows I watch from ad free Hulu. Or even Philo which is only 720P. Or any of the shows I purchase from Amazon, Fandango Now, or Vudu. At this point I could never go back to watching those shows from FiOS. With all those waxy faces and very little detail in the video.
dtv757 likes this.

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-07-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page