Will Comcast Ever Offer HDNet? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the previlage or misfortune of having to Comcast’s own HD channel, INHD 1 and 2. Initially I thought it was only logical and commendable for Comcast to have its own HD channel that it had total control over. However, after realizing how crappy both the programming and picture quality were, I wished I could have HDNet. Does anyone think Comcast will eventually add HDNet and HDNet movies to its HD package. Or is the whole point of INHD to not have to offer HDNet to its customers. I have heard both Comcast CEO Brian Roberts and HDNet founder Mark Cuban speak of this issue and its doesn’t sound promise. The Comcast CEO didn’t come out and say it but he pretty much implied that there is no way they are going to add it, at least anytime soon that is. And when Mark Cuban was questioned about not having HDNet on Comcast’s system, his answer was sort of like yeah I know, we wish it could be on there but its not and at least we have it on some other cable systems’s, I can’t remember which one’s he cited but I think it might have been Cablevision or Time Warner and some other smaller systems. I really think that not having a deal with Comcast is a huge blow for HDNet, I mean Comcast is the major player in cable and that’s a lot of subs that HDNet is losing. It definitely hurts HDNet a lot more than it does hurt HDNet. But I’m wondering if as HDNet becomes more popular and if it does become the premeire HD network as Mark Cuban is hoping for, will Comcast have no choice but to offer it to its customers. I mean if you’re a Dish, DTV, or cable customer who had access to HDNet, its gonna be difficult to give it up for INHD which is such a disappointment.

What does everyone think abou all this. Will Comcast simply try to create its own HDNet offering with INHD or will they eventually have to give in and offer the real deal to its customers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
HDNET is available on these cable system listed below

Adelphia Communications
Advanced Cable Communications
Alameda Power & Telecom
Antietam Cable TV
Armstrong Cable
Astound Broadband
Bend Broadband
Berkshire Cable
Black Hills FiberCom
Blue Ridge Communications
Braintree Electric Light Dept.
Bright House Networks
Bresnan Communications
Buckeye CableSystem
Cass Cable TV
Cebridge Connections
Cedar Falls Utilities
Charter Communications
CityNET
Click! Network
Comporium
Conneaut Telephone Co.
Coon Rapids Municipal Cable
Davidson Cable

Duo County Telecom
Easton Utilites
En-Touch Systems, Inc.
Everest
Fidelity Communications
Frankfort Plant Board
General Communication, Inc. (GCI)
Groton Utilities/TVC
HomeStar Entertainment Television
Insight Communications
Kuhn Communications
Madison Communications
McLeodUSA
Mediacom Communications
Midcontinent Communications
NewWave Communications
OneSource Communications
Plantation Cablevision
The Ranier Group
RCN
Service Electric TV
Spencer Municipal Utilities
Starpower
Sunflower Broadband
SusCom
Sweetwater Cable
Time Warner Cable
US Cable
Western Wisconsin Communications CoOp/WWCC
WOW!

[EDIT] Added Comporium (SC)

AVS Forum [email protected] Team Enter Team # 55280 when u download
post #3 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Also there is a petition online for Comcast to add Hdnet

which i found Here

AVS Forum [email protected] Team Enter Team # 55280 when u download
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I had no idea that HDNet was already on so many cable systems and even a few of the big ones. But I noticed many of them are pretty small regional cable companies. Lets hope Comcast gives in and adds HDNet.
post #5 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 06:18 PM

I wish Cox Cable would also add them to their HD Line-up.
post #6 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey Karl signed that petition (or someone signed his name) I wonder if Mark signed it
post #7 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

INHD and INHD2 have some worthwhile content, but not nearly enough. If they really think they are competing with HDNet then they need to put some more money into acquiring better content. Furthermore, they crop movies wider than 1.78:1 (something HDNet deos not do) which is a big black mark as far as I'm concerned.

My friend only a few miles away has Adelphia and he gets both the INHDs and HDNets. Curse him. :) I'm here in Comcast land.

At least I get the local Fox affiliate (Sinclair-owned), which he does not.
post #8 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked: 3405
And to pour salt on the wound, some Comcast systems don't even carry the INHDs.
post #9 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 71
INHD is not run by Comcast. INHD is run iby INDemand,the PPV/VOD company.

The biggest stumble seems to be Comcast wants to have it as part of Digital Classic while the costds would seem to neccessate a seperate HD only tier.

Solution: Add a letterbox SD version of HDNet for Comcast subscribers who do not have HD yet. This is a win win situation as it gives non HD veries a chance to sample the future,and it allows Comcast to pay the fees for HDNet without having to have a seperate HD Tier.
post #10 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 08:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Do a search in this topic for HDNet:

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=424081

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #11 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

as long as COMAST HD stays away from HD-LITE I am happy

NATIONAL TREASURE on COMCAST HD via STARZ looked great tonight in 2.35 to 1 aspect on my 96" screen powered via a AE700u front projector LCD hi def

THAT is what counts - GOOD QUALITY- better than real movies at the movie theater
post #12 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo21
My friend only a few miles away has Adelphia and he gets both the INHDs and HDNets. Curse him. :) I'm here in Comcast land.
I'm one of those Adelphia customers that gets both INHDs and HDNets. I wonder how long this will continue though, as Comcast will be taking over soon.
post #13 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 11:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf
Solution: Add a letterbox SD version of HDNet for Comcast subscribers who do not have HD yet. This is a win win situation as it gives non HD veries a chance to sample the future,and it allows Comcast to pay the fees for HDNet without having to have a seperate HD Tier.
Yeah, I'm sure Mark Cuban would agree to do that.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #14 of 141 Old 12-11-2005, 11:33 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf
INHD is not run by Comcast. INHD is run iby INDemand,the PPV/VOD company.

The biggest stumble seems to be Comcast wants to have it as part of Digital Classic while the costds would seem to neccessate a seperate HD only tier.

Maybe not run by, but Comcast owns a large part of it.

INHD and INHD2 are owned and operated by iN DEMAND Networks--the company′s shareholders are Comcast iN DEMAND Holdings, Inc., Cox Communications Holdings, Inc., and Time Warner Entertainment - Advance/Newhouse Partnership.

http://www.inhd.com/about.jsp
INHD - About INHD Networks
post #15 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 04:13 AM - Thread Starter

That’s very interesting. I was under the impression that INHD was Comcast’s attempt at offering its own version of HDNet, and its also interesting to note that several of the Cable companies have a stake in INHD. I guess its sort of a collective effort to put together a decent HD offering. Whey does the content on INHD suck, I mean there are definitely a few interesting programs but It wasn’t anything to brag about. I remember seeing Comcast CEO being interviewed a while back and someone asked him about HD. He said something like “I don’t really think of HD content as generating new revenue streamsâ€, or something to that effect. Essentially saying that HD isn’t going to be a money maker for them and it doesn’t seem to attract many customers since demand is relatively small. It wasn’t good to hear that and I think its obvious in Comcast’s slow transition to and addition of new HD channels. For sure though they will have to add some more HD channels in the coming year especially since both Dish Network and DirecTV are about to expand their HD programming. Not to mention the fact that there are a bunch of new HD channels coming next year. It definitely can’t happen fast enuf if you ask me and I’m sure a lot of you feel the same.
post #16 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mya23rd
Whey does the content on INHD suck, I mean there are definitely a few interesting programs but It wasn’t anything to brag about.
Judging a channel based on what programming they carry is all a matter of opinion. While some feel the way you do about INHD, others feel that way about HDNet.

post #17 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Could someone who has both INHD and HDNet tell us why you like INHD more? I'm stuck with the INHD channels and would like to appreciate them more. My impression is that HDNet works hard to find the most unusual HD programming available while INHD pretty much airs whatever HD programming is easiest and cheapest to get.
post #18 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl
Could someone who has both INHD and HDNet tell us why you like INHD more?
I don't necessarly like one or the other better, but INHD does carry 3 of the 4 major sports, NBA (NBA HDTV), NHL (OLN HD), MLB.

And you are right that HDNet offers a wide variety of interesting original programming.

post #19 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 10:12 AM

I have both with Time Warner in Memphis. I seem to watch more INHD than HDNet. I am curious if we will lose HDNet once Comcast takes over after the first of the year. Memphis is one of the markets switching from Time Warner to Comcast after the Adelphia agreement.
post #20 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
I don't necessarly like one or the other better, but INHD does carry 3 of the 4 major sports, NBA (NBA HDTV), NHL (OLN HD), MLB.
For me, this is the primary reason to have INHD as in my area, SF, these games are not available in HD from any other provider. All I need now is to have Comcast actually put INHD on my system. Roughly 15% of the SF bay area Comcast systems do not have INHD. We 15% cannot get these games anywhere at any price.
post #21 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 744
I get the INHD channels via Comcast and HDNet via D*. I agree wholeheartedly with KenH. I love them both but watch INHD more due to their sports programming.

Louder is NOT better!
post #22 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 31
As someone not interested in sports, HDNet and HDNet Movies is vastly superior to INHD and INHD2. The variety, quality and presentation of movies is much better on HDNet Movies compared to INHD2. INHD is mostly repeats of the same old sports programming, whereas HDNet has a good mix of general interest programming, and finally, Bikini Destinations blows Bikini Bombshells out of the water.
post #23 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

A mod can add Millenium Digital Media (MDM) to the list, if necessary :)
post #24 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nope. Because they are too stupid and Incompetent to add anymore HD let alone HdNet. Crapcast only see High Definition as a fad and a cost. They are not capable of "big picture" thinking. All they see is that they will have to expand their bandwidth and their network and that costs money. Until leadership changes at Crapcast (Which is family owned, so hell will freeze before that happens, or a stockholder rebellion) no more HD for their customers. Crapcasts only savior will be D* eroding their market share with the new SATs enough that they have to finally except the reallity and make the necessary changes. You should hear their excuses in E-mails when I demonstrate the market penetraition of HDTVs sold and in US Homes. Not only are they ignorant to the facts, they are in complete denial. Its crazy how the largest cable opperator in the United States of America has no idea who their customer is and where the market is headed. Don't you have to know these things to run a successful business. It just goes to show you that in 2005, America is still suffering and living with Monopoly's.
post #25 of 141 Old 12-12-2005, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip
I get the INHD channels via Comcast and HDNet via D*. I agree wholeheartedly with KenH. I love them both but watch INHD more due to their sports programming.
But InHD doesnt "carry" the pro sports leagues. InHD is Pre empted by the sports leagues .

I know with the NBA and NHL at least, InHD is not allowed to promote that they "carry" either league.

Which in turn means, that when and if those leagues get carriage oftheir own TV nets, ie NBA TV in HD, OLN HD, then there wont be a need to pre empt InHD.

This isnt a knock on InHD, its just the way things are in a bandwidth limited universe.

On the flipside, all of our programming, is our programming. We create and license and pay for it all. Feel free to compare our programming to their own. We like the comparison.

And as far as comcast, call them early and often, sign the petition, email them. We continue to talk to them, but there is nothing new to report.
post #26 of 141 Old 12-13-2005, 12:03 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcuban

Which in turn means, that when and if those leagues get carriage oftheir own TV nets, ie NBA TV in HD, OLN HD, then there wont be a need to pre empt InHD.
And even less reason to even have InHD in my view, and the more reason to have HDNet.

Thanks for the carriage update BTW, to bad the news is, well, not really news... :D
post #27 of 141 Old 12-13-2005, 12:21 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
...all of our programming, is our programming. We create and license and pay for it all. Feel free to compare our programming to their own. We like the comparison...
As well you should, Mark!

With the possible exception of a few games on Cox's Channel 4 in San Diego, I have yet to see MLB done by anyone with the care and quality HDNet showed for the wonderful year and a half you showed us several games a week with impeccable quality.
post #28 of 141 Old 12-13-2005, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 744
My bad m. However, it gives us an opportunity to see the games in HD. I do enjoy all the original programming on HDNet as well as the NHL. Just wish you still had MLB. I am with Fredfa on that one!

Louder is NOT better!
post #29 of 141 Old 12-13-2005, 04:56 AM

Quote:
But InHD doesnt "carry" the pro sports leagues. InHD is Pre empted by the sports leagues .
In New England, Eastern Mass specifically, we often get Baltimore or San Diego games during the MLB season, as well as the Red Sox. The Red Sox games are pre-empted because they're actually on NESN HD, however the O's and Padres games and such often carry iNHD logos and score bugs.

You probably know more than most on the subject but it's not so clear that they "dont carry the pro sports leagues".

I'm not sure what the NBA TV on iNHD or OLN on iNHD would count as but it doesn't look like when those games are being shown there's any alternate programming for anyone.
post #30 of 141 Old 12-13-2005, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

I know with the NBA and NHL at least, InHD is not allowed to promote that they "carry" either league.
INHD often promotes the fact that they carry NBA, MLB, and NHL games. And they are regular programming that is listed on their web site. They do not preempt programming to show them. They ARE the regular programming.

But anyway, I agree that HDNet would be a welcome addition to Comcast, and it is probably the channel I want the most. I have signed the petition.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page