Deadwood - Season 3 - on HBO in HDTV - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 239Likes

post #871 of 923 Old 06-01-2019, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Left me want more episodes. nuff said

TCL 65R617TBBA w/ MediaLight 6500k | Denon AVR X4400H set 7.2.4 | Outlaw 5000 (LCR & SR) | RSL CG3 5.2 system 5-NXG NX-Pro 103C (1- SB 4-Height FL, FR, RL, & RR) | Roku Ultra | Nvidia Shield (Plex Server) | Sony UBP-X800 | Panisonic DP-UB820 | Tripplite Isobar HTS10DBS | Octane XL700 seating | Makers Mark for attitude adjustments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 923 Old 06-01-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked: 3871
A very fitting bookend with which I will partake of again .. Kudos to HBO and Mr Milch ..

Now, if "Luck" could be re-introduced, that would be great ..
archiguy and John dhein like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #873 of 923 Old 06-01-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2929
Doesn't air until Sunday here.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 923 Old 06-01-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 305
OK, so has anyone moved on to the important stuff, like an actual count of the word c-s-ker and other such deights?
cardoski likes this.
post #875 of 923 Old 06-01-2019, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeskE View Post
OK, so has anyone moved on to the important stuff, like an actual count of the word c-s-ker and other such deights?
I loved it! The script was practically flawless and it plays out exactly as promised: simply the best extended episode of one of the best series ever made. But, I also saw a rumor on one of the boards that the movie was going to contain a number "Easter eggs" as an additional thank-you from the producers to the fans--and there was really nothing of that nature that I could immediately identify, so that was a little disappointing. And what, not even one quick shot showing a picture of the late Powers Boothe in costume as his Cy Tolliver character up on a wall somewhere??! C'mon, HBO! There wasn't even one stray plastic 21st Century water bottle that I could find! Still not sure of the significance of the use of that "Waltzing Matilda" song, since it's usually more frequently identified with Australia. Hmmm...I've gotta watch this one again!

Those who are familiar with the history of the real-life Al Swearengen know that the way this movie ends was not actually the end of him--he didn't die until years later, ironically hundreds of miles away in Denver, in an accident. So even though it was "fade to black" at the end of this movie, who knows...perhaps Ian McShane (who was one of the EPs on this film) could be interested to do one more film "post Deadwood" again playing one of the best bad-guy parts we ever remember!
shivaji, daryl zero and John dhein like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #876 of 923 Old 06-01-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
And what, not even one quick shot showing a picture of the late Powers Boothe in costume as his Cy Tolliver character up on a wall somewhere??!
If they had shown a portrait of Powers Boothe, even a quick shot, they would have to pay the estate some cash. Perhaps that was floated by the estate and the asking price was more than it was worth.

Bobby 

post #877 of 923 Old 06-01-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I'm just gonna come right and say it... I've never watched Deadwood.
Your life is less than it might be.
post #878 of 923 Old 06-01-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I'm just gonna come right and say it... I've never watched Deadwood.

I'll come right out and say something else - I envy you. You have a great item to pull out of the net and watch at any time. It is one of the best bits of entertainment I can think of in fictional Americana. So happy for you C-ck-s-cr!

Enjoy
LL3HD likes this.
post #879 of 923 Old 06-02-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Very good, so pleased, thought the flashbacks were very effective. A love letter to a brief but brilliant moment in TV history.
gwsat likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

post #880 of 923 Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1518 Post(s)
Liked: 1757
Just saw the movie tonight with my wife. We both loved the series and I think HBO deserves a bunch of crap for unceremoniously dumping the show.

I was holding back because I was worried that the movie wouldn't do the show justice but I have to say that we both really loved the movie and it reminded us of how much we loved the series.

I did think the stunt at barging into the wedding was pretty beneath the character and stupid bringing other lawmen in. That was never going to go well.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #881 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1922 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Enjoyed the movie. Not as good as the TV series, but man it sure was great to see everyone again. I was smiling a lot during it at just all the nostalgia elements. Great seeing everyone again, just reminded me how much I miss this show.

Loved that near the end they gave Garret Dillahunt a cameo during the mob scene. Hard to recognize him with that massive beard but very nice touch to give someone who was important in the regular series a chance to come bac.

Well done. I say they should make a few more movies!
adpayne and cardoski like this.

post #882 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4241 Post(s)
Liked: 3264
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Loved that near the end they gave Garret Dillahunt a cameo during the mob scene. Hard to recognize him with that massive beard but very nice touch to give someone who was important in the regular series a chance to come bac.
I missed that. That's hilarious.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #883 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
E

Well done. I say they should make a few more movies!
I caught that as well, he is great on FTWD
WilliamR likes this.

post #884 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I watched the movie last night and thought it was good not great.

They seemed to push the dialog of the time a little more than they did in the series from what I remember as I don't recall having to try and think what the heck they were trying to say as much when I watched the series. I was a little disappointed we didn't get more of a classic Al and Wu conversation than we did as they were always hilarious.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #885 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
They seemed to push the dialog of the time a little more than they did in the series from what I remember as I don't recall having to try and think what the heck they were trying to say as much when I watched the series.
Having just rewatched the series, it's very much the same way. The dialogue is more Shakespearean than realistic, especially in Seasons 2 and 3.
JoeTiVo, gwsat, adpayne and 1 others like this.

Josh Z

post #886 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
***Never as great as the original series but a great walk down memory lane, you co#ks&c*ers.

Did I miss it or why didn't Al bring out the "Indian Head" in the box? With his physical condition, it certainly would have made for a great "heart to head" talk.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #887 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
Did I miss it or why didn't Al bring out the "Indian Head" in the box? With his physical condition, it certainly would have made for a great "heart to head" talk.
He disposed of it toward the end of Season 3. It was rotting, after all.

Josh Z

post #888 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoflashback View Post
***Never as great as the original series but a great walk down memory lane, you co#ks&c*ers.

After 10 years, there would not be much left of the "dirt worshiper".
post #889 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
He disposed of it toward the end of Season 3. It was rotting, after all.
***He should have gotten Doc to embalm it or preserve it in some way. Or maybe a new head every year from Mr. Wu? I loved Al's conversations with "the box."

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #890 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
I watched the movie last night and thought it was good not great.

They seemed to push the dialog of the time a little more than they did in the series from what I remember as I don't recall having to try and think what the heck they were trying to say as much when I watched the series. I was a little disappointed we didn't get more of a classic Al and Wu conversation than we did as they were always hilarious.
Its pretty apparent that David Milch had relatively little to do with the dialog or story. Sad, but maybe he was just not up to it. A couple of story lines were pretty contrived, in particular the Hearst and Utter story lines just don't ring true. As for the dialog, the reason it seems to stumble over itself is that David didn't write it I'm sure.
post #891 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Its pretty apparent that David Milch had relatively little to do with the dialog or story. Sad, but maybe he was just not up to it. A couple of story lines were pretty contrived, in particular the Hearst and Utter story lines just don't ring true. As for the dialog, the reason it seems to stumble over itself is that David didn't write it I'm sure.

I read David Milch announced to the cast and crew during taping that he has early stage Alzheimer's which might explain why there may have been a difference in the dialog even though I believe he wrote the movie several years ago which may or may not have included the dialog. Either way there was something noticeable difference about the dialog in the movie from the series.

-
Upgraditus is a real disease
post #892 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 12:40 PM

Yet, Milch is credited as writer .. it's been about 12 - 13 years since Season 3 .. and, Milch has early stage Alzheimer's .. a writer's style can change ..

Give the man a break ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #893 of 923 Old 06-03-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3847 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
I read David Milch announced to the cast and crew during taping that he has early stage Alzheimer's which might explain why there may have been a difference in the dialog even though I believe he wrote the movie several years ago which may or may not have included the dialog. Either way there was something noticeable difference about the dialog in the movie from the series.
A couple of the cast have stated that Milch wasn't around much for filming, just came through sometimes and watched.
post #894 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:

As Josh stated above your post, the dialog was exactly the same format as he used in the series. If you disagree, go re-watch an episode, and you'll see. It's been a long time since the series wrapped, so memories can fade.
Josh Z, gwsat and John dhein like this.
post #895 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
As Josh stated above your post, the dialog was exactly the same format as he used in the series. If you disagree, go re-watch an episode, and you'll see. It's been a long time since the series wrapped, so memories can fade.
I finished a re-watch of the entire series two days prior to watching the movie for the first of what I am sure will be MANY times.

I could not disagree more with RD. While some of the conflict was a bit contrived (If they had phone service in town, what did Hearst need Utter's land for?), the dialog seemed to me to be very much like that in the series.

From Jane atop a horse, I was right back in Deadwood.
gwsat likes this.
post #896 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A couple of the cast have stated that Milch wasn't around much for filming, just came through sometimes and watched.
Where?
post #897 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
I agree as well .. my re-watch was finished 2 weeks prior to the Movie .. I felt no real substantial difference ..

Uncle Willie

post #898 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
While some of the conflict was a bit contrived (If they had phone service in town, what did Hearst need Utter's land for?)
To expand telephone service further. We know they had service to Lead, maybe Hearst wanted to bring service to, or from, Sturgis....

Bobby 

post #899 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Fresh Air recently re-aired some archive interviews with Milch and the cast from the time of the show's original airing. Timothy Olyphant talked about how hard it was to memorize the dialogue because it would take him a while to parse it out and understand what his character was even saying.
Ben23 likes this.

Josh Z

post #900 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Writers aren't typically around on set much during filming anyway. He didn't direct the movie.

Josh Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page