Deadwood - Season 3 - on HBO in HDTV - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 239Likes

post #901 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-smith View Post
I watched the movie last night and thought it was good not great.

They seemed to push the dialog of the time a little more than they did in the series from what I remember as I don't recall having to try and think what the heck they were trying to say as much when I watched the series. I was a little disappointed we didn't get more of a classic Al and Wu conversation than we did as they were always hilarious.
Agree on the dialog, thought I was watching some C*cks*cker Shakespeare play for awhile there.
Enjoyed the movie overall.

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2409 Post(s)
Liked: 2043
I noticed yesterday that VUDU lists the movie as a pre-order and I'm sure other streaming services will follow suit.
post #903 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked: 3374
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Agree on the dialog, thought I was watching some C*cks*cker Shakespeare play for awhile there.
Seriously, did none of you watch the original show? Go to IMDb and view the "Quotes" pages of random episodes. Shakespeare with profanity is exactly what it always was, from Episode 1:

- "I may have f***ed up my life flatter'n hammered s**t, but I stand here before you today beholden to no human c***sucker, and holdin' a workin' f***in' gold claim, and not the U.S. government tellin' me I'm trespassin', or the savage f***in' red man or any of these other limber-d**k c***suckers passin' themselves off as prospectors had better try and stop me."

- "Having heard all that, and knowing, as you must, the injudiciousness of making an enemy of a man who could testify truthfully that five minutes before her marriage, he heard his daughter wish her prospective husband dead, and who won't shrink from lying as to what she admitted to him on his arrival in this cesspool as to her complicity in her husband's murder... I suppose you'd best take your swing."

- "The bald contempt of it! Why not come out five abreast cavorting and taunting 'E.B. was left out! E.B. was left out!'? C***suckers! C***lickers! Make your filthy gestures. Public service was never my primary career... Two come this way!"

- "Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?"

- "But I should say too that, in these rooms just this afternoon, such displeasure brought me near to murdering the sheriff and... raping Mrs. Ellsworth. I have learned through time, Mr. Tolliver, and as repeatedly seem to forget, that whatever temporary comfort relieving my displeasure brings me, my long-term interests suffer. My proper traffic is with the earth. In my dealings with... people, I ought solely have to do with n*****s. And whites who obey me like dogs."
JoeTiVo, shivaji, gwsat and 7 others like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Seriously, did none of you watch the original show? Go to IMDb and view the "Quotes" pages of random episodes. Shakespeare with profanity is exactly what it always was, from Episode 1:
Lol. I honestly don't remember it being so over the top. Maybe I was too drawn in to the profanity to notice. I plan on re-watching the series.
Josh Z likes this.

Benq HT3550/LG OLED65B6P /Panny UB820 4k Bluray/Apple TV 4k
Nvidia Shield/HDFury AVRkey/Samsung HW-K950 Soundbar
post #905 of 923 Old 06-04-2019, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Liked: 5831
Quote:

- "I may have f***ed up my life flatter'n hammered s**t, but I stand here before you today beholden to no human c***sucker, and holdin' a workin' f***in' gold claim, and not the U.S. government tellin' me I'm trespassin', or the savage f***in' red man or any of these other limber-d**k c***suckers passin' themselves off as prospectors had better try and stop me."

- "Having heard all that, and knowing, as you must, the injudiciousness of making an enemy of a man who could testify truthfully that five minutes before her marriage, he heard his daughter wish her prospective husband dead, and who won't shrink from lying as to what she admitted to him on his arrival in this cesspool as to her complicity in her husband's murder... I suppose you'd best take your swing."

- "The bald contempt of it! Why not come out five abreast cavorting and taunting 'E.B. was left out! E.B. was left out!'? C***suckers! C***lickers! Make your filthy gestures. Public service was never my primary career... Two come this way!"

- "Could you have been born, Richardson? And not egg-hatched as I've always assumed? Did your mother hover over you, snaggle-toothed and doting as you now hover over me?"

- "But I should say too that, in these rooms just this afternoon, such displeasure brought me near to murdering the sheriff and... raping Mrs. Ellsworth. I have learned through time, Mr. Tolliver, and as repeatedly seem to forget, that whatever temporary comfort relieving my displeasure brings me, my long-term interests suffer. My proper traffic is with the earth. In my dealings with... people, I ought solely have to do with n*****s. And whites who obey me like dogs."
Those are excellent examples of the magic of Milch's language. Here are a couple of others:

Trixie explaining to Sol why she went back to Al, whose whore she had been, when she wanted to leave Al: " I've lived most of my life a whore, and as much as he's her misery, the pimp's a whore's familiar, so the sudden strange or violent draws her to him. Not that I wouldn't learn another way."

Alma explains her quandary to Miss Isringhausen about Bullock's offer to leave the camp with Alma, although his wife and stepson are about to arrive:

Alma: We do love each other. Our being together ought not to seem so outlandish a proposition…

Miss Isringhausen: No, Ma’am…

Alma: …except for every other single thing.
Josh Z and cardoski like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #906 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
Dillahunt standing next to Jerry Cantrell

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	174
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	2576112  
JoeTiVo and adpayne like this.
post #907 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

My wife, a retired English teacher who had never seen the original, watched Deadwood, the Movie with me. She immediately commented on the Shakespearian quality of the dialog. "That's Deadwood!" I told her.
Josh Z, shivaji, gwsat and 1 others like this.
post #908 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Liked: 5831
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhopkins View Post
My wife, a retired English teacher who had never seen the original, watched Deadwood, the Movie with me. She immediately commented on the Shakespearian quality of the dialog. "That's Deadwood!" I told her.
Oh, yeah! Never in the history of television has there been a show, which despite being filled with coarse profanity, was often also moving and lyrically beautiful, and scanned in iambic pentameter. Will Shakespeare would have been proud.
shivaji and rkhopkins like this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #909 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6298 Post(s)
Liked: 6956
I do wonder just how much of the dialog in the movie was actually written by Milch? Had his progressive neurological disease progressed far enough to have made it difficult if not impossible to write in the unique manner he had before? I have not read any definitive answer to that.
mik2h likes this.
post #910 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I do wonder just how much of the dialog in the movie was actually written by Milch? Had his progressive neurological disease progressed far enough to have made it difficult if not impossible to write in the unique manner he had before? I have not read any definitive answer to that.

He may well have written the screenplay years ago. It just took time to get an investor to pay for the movie and get all the actors available to play the parts.

Bobby 

post #911 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked: 3374
Quote:
Really, I invite everyone to rewatch any episode of the original series - any episode at all - and then explain to me in what way the movie is not written "in the unique manner he had before."

Milch was only diagnosed with Alzheimer's last year. In an interview a couple months ago, he described it as "instances of imperfect recall and tardy recall and short temper." While it's certainly possible that he's lying to downplay the extent that the disease has already progressed, it is equally possible that, at this stage, he's still highly functioning most of the time, with occasional spells where he loses track of what he's doing.

Keep in mind also that the script was mostly written a couple years ago. Although he may have done more work recently to polish it off, a complete draft was delivered to HBO in April of 2017, which led to the production's green-light.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if additional writers did uncredited work to assist with the script, but that's no different at all than the way any other TV show or movie works. Milch was never the sole writer on the original series.
shivaji, gwsat, adpayne and 1 others like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #912 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1213
Poor banker chick, still pining for Bullock. You would think that she would have found a new love interest over those intervening years. As said by Josh, the dialog was spot on in comparison to the old series, though perhaps, just a tad mellowed with age.

Say it aint so, that Al has given up the ghost.
John dhein and mik2h like this.
post #913 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2163 Post(s)
Liked: 3315
Some of you may recall I started watching Deadwood a year or two ago and had to quit (midway through E3 of S1) after Al went on another one of his over-the-top F-capades that kept pulling me out of the action. With the release of the movie I decided to give it another go. I'm through E8 of S1, and this time around the language isn't nearly as off-putting as it was the first time. However, I'm not getting the best series ever 'vibe' that many here have come away with, or that I can't wait to view the next episode. With the discussion of William Shakespeare taking place, I'm beginning to think it may be a subconscious thing for me because I can't stand WS. In part, that may be due to my less than favorable opinion of British Royalty - too damn uppity and elite for my taste. The dialogue in the remake of True Grit was written very much in the WS style, which I thought was so un-John Wayne like, that I found the movie less than enjoyable, to say nothing of the aggravating voice that Jeff Bridges incorporated into the movie. Anyway, while Deadwood is good, I'm not feeling in any rush to finish it anytime soon.
post #914 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
More David Milch beat down ..

Count me happy that a great script was brought to life again by HBO, which I still consider a Love Letter to Fans .. after all, I'm sure the suits knew it was not going to really beef up the HBO Subscriber base ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #915 of 923 Old 06-05-2019, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Finally was able to watch the movie. While I enjoyed it, it really just made me sad that we’ll never see what happened in the 10 years that took place between the series and this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Josh Z and cardoski like this.
post #916 of 923 Old 06-15-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 68
My goodness. I didn't have the chance to rewatch the series prior to the movie, and couldn't watch the movie right away. It took a few moments with the opening scene with Calamity to get myself into gear, but once aligned, it was as though the intervening years since the show ended had never occurred. Milch did an absolutely fantastic job of bringing his characters forward, and giving us fans a well made conclusion to the story. His lyrical style is a wonderful thing to behold - I didn't realize how much I missed it until I watched the movie. Truly a stand out job by all involved.
JoeTiVo, Josh Z, gwsat and 3 others like this.
post #917 of 923 Old 06-19-2019, 05:23 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Oh, yeah! Never in the history of television has there been a show, which despite being filled with coarse profanity, was often also moving and lyrically beautiful, and scanned in iambic pentameter. Will Shakespeare would have been proud.
+1

MY wife is also a History+English/Literature teacher and got hooked on Deadwood when the DVD's came out. We watched the Movie this week.

Lots of great soliloquy-esque exchanges throughout the series.

Another great dialog-centric writer/producer/director is Aaron Sorkin (American PResident, West Wing, Sports Night, A Few Good Men, Moneyball, etc)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Sorkin

His shows and films are chock full of rat-ta-tat witty/thoughtful dialog exchanges among characters and extemporaneous soliloquy's.

The fast talking, rapid-fire exchanges are his hallmark, as he wants to cram as much dialog in the time allowed.
gwsat, cardoski and Ben23 like this.
post #918 of 923 Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6298 Post(s)
Liked: 6956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Another great dialog-centric writer/producer/director is Aaron Sorkin (American PResident, West Wing, Sports Night, A Few Good Men, Moneyball, etc)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Sorkin

His shows and films are chock full of rat-ta-tat witty/thoughtful dialog exchanges among characters and extemporaneous soliloquy's.

The fast talking, rapid-fire exchanges are his hallmark, as he wants to cram as much dialog in the time allowed.
He's currently involved in "To Kill A Mockingbird" on Broadway, starring Jeff Daniels as Aticus Finch. Opened to stellar reviews and sold out shows. He said he tried to follow the book as closely as he could but had to change a few things due to the demands of a theater production. I'd love to go up there and see it, but would probably have the same chance as scoring a ticket to "Hamilton".
post #919 of 923 Old 06-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
He's currently involved in "To Kill A Mockingbird" on Broadway, starring Jeff Daniels as Aticus Finch. Opened to stellar reviews and sold out shows. He said he tried to follow the book as closely as he could but had to change a few things due to the demands of a theater production. I'd love to go up there and see it, but would probably have the same chance as scoring a ticket to "Hamilton".
Daniels is Sorkin's goto guy- see The Newsroom.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1870479/

Daniels is our homeboy- been to his theater for several plays
https://www.purplerosetheatre.org/

Certain authentic quality about Midwest/Michigan actors like Daniels and the Frozen's/Good Place Kristen Bell
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0068338/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

post #920 of 923 Old 06-19-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Quote:
I caught it in late previews back in December. To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite novel and Aaron Sorkin is my favorite television writer so I kinda had to. I was lucky enough to get 3rd row seats (a work friend lives in NYC and walked to the box office for me to avoid the insane online sales fee). Jeff Daniels' courtroom seat was positioned right in front of me so that was pretty exciting. One of the biggest "artistic license" sort of updates was, in the book, Atticus is almost positioned a man of perfect perspective and moral fiber from start to finish. He is beyond reproach. In the play, he is actually forced to undergo a bit of a transformation, mainly with the help of Calpurnia. He starts out with the basis that all people have good in them. You just have to find it. By the end, he is forced to accept that some men are just evil, and they have to be dealt with accordingly. You cannot love someone out of believing that you don't have a right to exist because of how you were born.

Also, not sure if there have been many rewrites since, but Sorkin definitely borrows from past works here. The most obvious example being a portion near the end where Finch remarks, "Joy cometh in the morning," which was a key line President Bartlett used in a speech in The West Wing. I'm sure there were other examples, but I remember that the most.

I'm really sad I'm gonna miss Network (adaptation of the great Sidney Lumet/Paddy Chayefsky movie starring Bryan Cranston). I almost talked myself into that so many times, but I am trying to be careful with my budget. If I saw every show I wanted to, I'd be living in a box.

Anyway, sorry for the long sidebar. I enjoyed this fitting wrap-up to the Deadwood saga. As others mentioned, the writing did strike my fiancee and me as more "Shakespearean" than we remembered when we watched the show, but, as others stated, it was in line with the show. I guess we just forgot over the years. Ian McShane and Timothy Olyphant are two of my favorite people ever at this point.
archiguy, Tack and cardoski like this.
post #921 of 923 Old 07-08-2019, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked: 3969
I took the time over the weekend to watch a second time .. just allowing the Movie to flow over me rather than looking for this and that, actors, etc ..

At the end, it just seemed so poignant that I felt some real sadness for a minute .. saying that Goodbye to the fantastic Cast, (well, not goodbye, it's TV after all) .. Trixie holding Al's hand near the end was like the page turned allowing Al what was maybe one of the best lines out of so many over the shows History .. "Our Father, which art in Heaven" to which Swearengen replies, "Let Him %^$^ing stay there."

I could listen to Mr Milch dialog delivered by these folks all day .. poetry in motion .. the characters slipped right into their roles ..

The Movie not only served as a great Series Finale, but could easily be built upon if HBO wanted to ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #922 of 923 Old 09-13-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 5124 Post(s)
Liked: 4569
Deadwood: The Movie is being released on Blu-ray on October 8th...currently on sale for $15.99...

https://www.amazon.com/Deadwod-Movie...1&sr=8-1-fkmr0
post #923 of 923 Old 10-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 3919 Post(s)
Liked: 3185
The BD has a nice 15 min bonus short that's a sort of retrospective on Milch and the show. David is clearly struggling when seen on set, its very sad to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page