The 2007 Masters - Second Round Friday - In HDTV on Universal HD & CBS! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Please place all related comments for today's round in this topic.

It's very important to be specific with your info, including your location, station call letters, source - Local over-the-air reception / Cable Company / DirecTV (channel number) / Dish Network (channel number).

All Times ET. Today's schedule in 1080i HDTV & DD 5.1:

4pm - 7pm
The 2007 Masters Second Round
Live from Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA
On Universal HD & Select CBS Digital Affiliates

8pm Replay on Universal HD
11:35pm Highlights on CBS HD

From The Miami Herald
Quote:

THE MASTERS FIRST ROUND
Rookie shares lead at tough Augusta

BY JEFF SHAIN

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- One by one, some of the world's best golfers staggered off the 18th green and pronounced Augusta National to be in the toughest shape they ever remembered.

It mattered little to Brett Wetterich. He didn't know any different.

Playing his very first Masters round, the Jupiter pro fashioned a 3-under-par 69 on Thursday over Augusta National's fast and fiery track to join Justin Rose atop the leaderboard.

''I can't see how that would hurt me,'' Wetterich said after becoming the 17th Masters rookie to hold at least a share of the opening-round lead.

``Not seeing those [previous] things and not having bad thoughts of any [course] changes, it definitely doesn't hurt me any.''

There were plenty of bad thoughts to go around on a cloudless, cool day with just enough breeze to dry out whatever moisture had settled over golf's most scenic layout.

Combined with the bulked-up length added by Augusta National last year, Thursday produced all the test a top pro could want.

Tiger Woods, threatening to steal the day's thunder, instead came home with a bogey-bogey finish that dropped him four shots back with a 73.

''I threw away a perfectly good round of golf,'' said Woods, who has never broken 70 in an opening Masters round.

And he was one of the more fortunate ones. Phil Mickelson opened defense of his green jacket with a 76. Ernie Els shot a front-nine 42 on the way to a 78. Jim Furyk, No. 2 in the world, and U.S. Open champion Geoff Ogilvy posted 75s. Vijay Singh matched Woods' 73.

Of the nine players to break par Thursday, No. 20 David Toms holds the highest ranking. Toms and David Howell were one shot off the pace with 70s.

Thursday's scoring average of 76.19 was the highest at the Masters since the opening round of the 2004 event.

From The Masters.com
Quote:

Thursday's Masters Notes

PALMER BEGINS 71st MASTERS AS HONORARY STARTER
Arnold Palmer, one of golf's most charismatic and beloved figures, kicked off the 2007 Masters Tournament Thursday morning, striking his tee shot down the left side of the first fairway in his first appearance as an Honorary Starter.

Palmer, a four-time Masters champion, arrived early on a chilly, but sunny morning to perform his starting duties.

I thought somebody would tee the ball up for me, Palmer joked to the large crowd of patrons on the first tee.

Masters patrons, well-stacked around the first tee, leaned forward to see one of the most popular champions of all time renew a tradition of Masters golf at Augusta National Golf Club.

HAPPY WARRIOR
Gary Player completed the first round of his 50th Masters as optimistic as ever, pleased with his play despite an opening 83.

I had 15 very good holes, he said. I hit it well, putted it well, but just made two sevens and a triple bogey and that's how you get to 83. I hit it better than I have in five years.

CLARK SOARS
Tim Clark, who holed a bunker shot on the 18th hole in the final round last year to finish second, fired an opening round of 71. It was his fifth straight round of par or better at Augusta, but said his 71 felt like a score much lower.

It's really tough out there today, said the South African who went to college in North Carolina. I think two-under-par is about as low as you'll see. The winds are swirling and this is what they had in mind when they made the course changes a few years ago.

EARLY MAGIC
Just like in 2006, two-time Masters champion Ben Crenshaw made an early birdie in the first round and was on top of the leader board for a brief time. But the magic didn't last and he finished at four-over-par 76.

The breezes bothered your club selection a bit, but I missed a couple of six- or seven foot par putts and I got gun shy, he said.

Crenshaw had par putts hit the cup on Nos. 3-4 and lip out.

I just wasn't sharp with my putts all day long, Crenshaw said.

MOMENT OF SILENCE
Masters Chairman Billy Payne asked for a moment of silence on the first tee to honor two-time champion Byron Nelson who died last fall at age 94 before Arnold Palmer made his debut as the seventh Honorary Starter in Tournament history.

Earlier in the week, Nelson's widow Peggy visited the Tournament to honor her late husband.

LOCAL FLAVOR
Augusta native Vaughn Taylor recorded his lowest round in Masters competition, a 71, and made his first-ever trip to the media center.

I always dreamed about playing well, but I never dreamed about the press center, he said.

Taylor first attended the 1987 Masters when Augusta native Larry Mize chipped in on the second hole of a playoff with Seve Ballesteros and Greg Norman to become the first native son to win the Tournament.

GOOD NERVES
Bradley Dredge of Wales completed his first Masters round at three-over-par 75, but counted it a success.

It's everything I ever thought it would be, he said. I was nervous on the first tee, but nerves are good in competition. It gets the senses going and keeps you going.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone willing to send me HD screen captures, I would appreciate it.

Unfortunatly I have no way to record this in HD much less get any images from the broadcast. I hope fewer people have problems with the broadcast today as it sounded from yesterday's thread that it was a severe issue. I will be going home early from work today to catch some of the coverage.

Very interesting play so far from what I have read and heard. What some call the easiest major has shown it's teeth in dramatic force!
post #3 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 113
So far...looks and sounds great on UHD. No pops or clicks in audio. Sunshine brings the PQ up to the level of the stratosphere.

42" in the dining room. 50" in the bedroom. 86" in the living room. 65" in the family room. 70" in the family room. 106" in the family room "This is the voice of world control" Video Modes:EDTV-XGA-HDTV-4K HDR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 View Post

So far...looks and sounds great on UHD. No pops or clicks in audio. Sunshine brings the PQ up to the level of the stratosphere.

yup, been perfect on UHD here too

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Watching it live on WCBS-DT. So far it's perfect.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 113
The PQ today is phenominal. As good as I have ever seen it during a live sporting event.

42" in the dining room. 50" in the bedroom. 86" in the living room. 65" in the family room. 70" in the family room. 106" in the family room "This is the voice of world control" Video Modes:EDTV-XGA-HDTV-4K HDR
post #7 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 10

Looks like the projected cut has been wavering between +7 and +8.

ota, KIRO-DT
post #8 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Video went funky when Phil was deep in the woods, since then, the commentary has had a bit of an echo. The gallery and on course audio is fine.

Watching on UHD via Comcast in Lansing, MI

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I guess I'm the only one with crappy audio? The video looks fantastic, but the audio sounds like a low-bandwidth internet stream.

Comcast UHD feed from Nashville, TN
post #10 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have three HD sources for the Master's.
WBNGDT ch12 OTA - slight breakups due to multipath.
DirecTV WCBS (ch80) and UHD (ch 74). Looking and sounding (DD5.1) real good. Using HR10-250 DVR.

What I just found interesting is the commercial on CBS was full HD, but the same on UHD was pillar and letterboxed.
post #11 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

Video went funky when Phil was deep in the woods, since then, the commentary has had a bit of an echo.

That must have been one of their fiber lines he took relief from and screwed everything up when he stepped on it.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewcraft View Post

I guess I'm the only one with crappy audio? The video looks fantastic, but the audio sounds like a low-bandwidth internet stream.

Nope, I noticed it as well. I think they went to tin cans and string.

Panasonic TC-P65GT30 - Denon AVR-X4400H - Emotiva XPA-3 - Oppo BDP 103D - Front: Revel F228Be - Center: Revel C208 - Sides: Def Tech: BPVX - Rear: Def Tech: SR 8080P - Sub: Rythmik FVX 15 - DirecTV HR54
post #13 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WCBS-DT NYC FIOS NJ
Pat Summerall doing the vo for the sponsors on the late night show.

post #14 of 17 Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

icemannyr, thanks for posting those caps, you too DrCrawn!
post #15 of 17 Old 04-07-2007, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
great hd, thanks Augusta National, CBS, UHD, Directv.

HD HD HD I Need more HD, Yes I am a HD Addict :)
post #16 of 17 Old 04-07-2007, 11:20 AM

Watched some of the Friday coverage here; it was available on both a local CBS affil and UHD, both delivered by TWC-SC. PQ on both was excellent, audio was somewhat different.

WIS (Columbia) used their analog SD channel for normal network and syndicated afternoon programming but ran the Masters on the -DT side. This was a nice treat as they had "better" audio than UHD, for some reason. Both audios were decoded as "Dolby Digital" by our Denon, but the WIS-DT feed seemed to have more separation and definition. It was especially apparent during announcer lulls when the background natural sounds-birds, wind, crowd noise, etc- were very noticable. The UHD audio by comparison sounded almost "monophonic". And yes I know the CBS affils use a different DialNorm setting, but I don't think that was the difference.

Also noted that on the WIS-DT version, most of the commercials were HD and filled the 16:9 space while on UHD all the HD spots were letter/pillarboxed so there was black all around. Since the feeds otherwisw were identical and originated from the same place I can't figure out why the commercials were different, unless there were 2 separate commercial integration paths for the 2 different end users.

So once the program leaves the truck in Augusta, how is it integrated and distributed to both CBS affils and to UHD?

Mike
post #17 of 17 Old 04-07-2007, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, did you guys all see Tiger's check-swing on the tee at 13 during Friday's round? I don't know if they showed it during the normal coverage of Tiger since I was still at work, but I saw it in his highlights reel they showed about 1/2 hour before the end of coverage. Insane amount of power to try and stop!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page