AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Zurich Classic of New Orleans on TGC/CBS (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/837189-zurich-classic-new-orleans-tgc-cbs.html)

jefbal99 04-20-2007 02:02 PM

Just flipped back to Friday coverage on VSGLF (Comcast, Lansing MI) and I'm getting no audio. Checked two seperate HDTV/STB combos. No audio during commercials either.

Was getting audio when coverage started earlier today.

Anybody else experiencing this?

dneily 04-21-2007 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

Just flipped back to Friday coverage on VSGLF (Comcast, Lansing MI) and I'm getting no audio. Checked two seperate HDTV/STB combos. No audio during commercials either.

Was getting audio when coverage started earlier today.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Yes, no audio for twenty minutes, around 5 p.m. ET Friday (COMCAST, Maryland)

jdspencer 04-21-2007 12:07 PM

All looks and sounds fine today on WCBS ch 80 and my local.

I was surprised to see that the Champions tour before this one was also in HD, although the guide didn't say so.

dad1153 04-21-2007 12:24 PM

Pretty good audio on WCBS-DT (both OTA and via TWC) here in NYC. The lack of star players has resulted in a pretty barren landscape of spectators. Not that I'm complaining since less people on the course = more colorful green grass sipping through my 1080p LCD TV. Also, the Champions Tour event that preceded the Zurich Classic on CBS was HD but not as crystal-clear and clean an HD signal as the PGA Tour event. Maybe CBS was using the feed from The Golf Channel HD truck and piping it through for the two-hour telecast.

John Mason 04-22-2007 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Pretty good audio on WCBS-DT (both OTA and via TWC) here in NYC. The lack of star players has resulted in a pretty barren landscape of spectators. Not that I'm complaining since less people on the course = more colorful green grass sipping through my 1080p LCD TV. Also, the Champions Tour event that preceded the Zurich Classic on CBS was HD but not as crystal-clear and clean an HD signal as the PGA Tour event. Maybe CBS was using the feed from The Golf Channel HD truck and piping it through for the two-hour telecast.

Interesting that WCBS-DT's Champions Tour match wasn't as clear as WCBS-DT's Zurich match (NYC area). Yes, CBS does relay the same signals delivered weekdays on TGC; (true 1080i on TGC/Versus, not on NYC's TWC yet.) Maybe the match differences are just between the truck gear/signals. Can't compare OTA versus NYC's TWC any more here since my HD tuner is on the blink. -- John

EDIT: Hadn't watched the Champions tour match until Sunday (just now). Looks like it's 16X9 upconverted 1080i, not true 1080i. It's not listed as HDTV at http://www.hdsportsguide.com/golf.php as well as on cable program guide.

Marcus Carr 04-22-2007 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

EDIT: Hadn't watched the Champions tour match until Sunday (just now). Looks like it's 16X9 upconverted 1080i, not true 1080i. It's not listed as HDTV at http://www.hdsportsguide.com/golf.php as well as on cable program guide.

Not all cameras were HD.

John Mason 04-23-2007 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Not all cameras were HD.

Watched a good chunk of the champion's tour match (1-3 pm ET) and concluded it was all upconverted 1080i. Seemed like a close call, though, because some shots (blimp, crane-mounted cameras) were very crisp [edited]. But believe the variations in camera image crispness was due to differences between portable camera lenses and the big high-MTF (modulation transfer function) studio lenses used for stationary cameras. (This article outlines lens MTF differences.) This lens variation was apparent here from many earlier upconverted-1080i matches (NBC, etc.), but it's also visible from CBS's all-true-1080i broadcasts, with the studio-type lenses delivering better resolution than the portable cameras. (Using NYC's TWC, a 8300HD cable converter, and a 9"-gun 64" RPTV.) -- John

Marcus Carr 04-23-2007 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Watched a good chunk of the champion's tour match (1-3 pm ET) and concluded it was all upconverted 1080i. Seemed like a close call, though, because some shots (blimp, crane-mounted cameras) delivered very crisp shots. But believe the variations in camera image crispness was due to differences between portable camera lenses and the big high-MTF (modulation transfer function) studio lenses used for stationary cameras. (This article outlines lens MTF differences.) This lens variation was apparent here from many earlier upconverted-1080i matches (NBC, etc.), but it's also visible from CBS's all-true-1080i broadcasts, with the studio-type lenses delivering better resolution than the portable cameras. (Using NYC's TWC, a 8300HD cable converter, and a 9"-gun 64" RPTV.) -- John

Definitely a difference between SD and HD shots. Unlikely that CBS would show anything widescreen and completely upconverted.

jefbal99 04-23-2007 05:02 AM

I didn't watch a lot of either tournament, but the Champs tour event was a mixture of SD and HD, like NBCs PGA Tour coverage.

This doesn't bother me one bit, I love the 16x9 picture and much wider views of the golf course.

I was also impressed to see some LPGA in 16x9 on VSGLF a few weeks back. That was a mix of HD and SD also.

Not perfect, but better than 4x3 SD

John Mason 04-23-2007 05:08 AM

Maybe hphase or another CBS insider, or someone at the site truck could pin it (mixed SD/HD? for Champions match) down. Interested, in part, since my cable converter, like many, is limited to <1300 effective lines (from HDNet anyway) and the upper limit is supposedly still ~1450 effective lines. -- John