Zurich Classic of New Orleans on TGC/CBS - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-20-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just flipped back to Friday coverage on VSGLF (Comcast, Lansing MI) and I'm getting no audio. Checked two seperate HDTV/STB combos. No audio during commercials either.

Was getting audio when coverage started earlier today.

Anybody else experiencing this?

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-21-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefbal99 View Post

Just flipped back to Friday coverage on VSGLF (Comcast, Lansing MI) and I'm getting no audio. Checked two seperate HDTV/STB combos. No audio during commercials either.

Was getting audio when coverage started earlier today.

Anybody else experiencing this?

Yes, no audio for twenty minutes, around 5 p.m. ET Friday (COMCAST, Maryland)
post #3 of 10 Old 04-21-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
All looks and sounds fine today on WCBS ch 80 and my local.

I was surprised to see that the Champions tour before this one was also in HD, although the guide didn't say so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-21-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3048 Post(s)
Liked: 2503
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Pretty good audio on WCBS-DT (both OTA and via TWC) here in NYC. The lack of star players has resulted in a pretty barren landscape of spectators. Not that I'm complaining since less people on the course = more colorful green grass sipping through my 1080p LCD TV. Also, the Champions Tour event that preceded the Zurich Classic on CBS was HD but not as crystal-clear and clean an HD signal as the PGA Tour event. Maybe CBS was using the feed from The Golf Channel HD truck and piping it through for the two-hour telecast.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-22-2007, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Pretty good audio on WCBS-DT (both OTA and via TWC) here in NYC. The lack of star players has resulted in a pretty barren landscape of spectators. Not that I'm complaining since less people on the course = more colorful green grass sipping through my 1080p LCD TV. Also, the Champions Tour event that preceded the Zurich Classic on CBS was HD but not as crystal-clear and clean an HD signal as the PGA Tour event. Maybe CBS was using the feed from The Golf Channel HD truck and piping it through for the two-hour telecast.

Interesting that WCBS-DT's Champions Tour match wasn't as clear as WCBS-DT's Zurich match (NYC area). Yes, CBS does relay the same signals delivered weekdays on TGC; (true 1080i on TGC/Versus, not on NYC's TWC yet.) Maybe the match differences are just between the truck gear/signals. Can't compare OTA versus NYC's TWC any more here since my HD tuner is on the blink. -- John

EDIT: Hadn't watched the Champions tour match until Sunday (just now). Looks like it's 16X9 upconverted 1080i, not true 1080i. It's not listed as HDTV at http://www.hdsportsguide.com/golf.php as well as on cable program guide.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

EDIT: Hadn't watched the Champions tour match until Sunday (just now). Looks like it's 16X9 upconverted 1080i, not true 1080i. It's not listed as HDTV at http://www.hdsportsguide.com/golf.php as well as on cable program guide.

Not all cameras were HD.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #7 of 10 Old 04-23-2007, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

Not all cameras were HD.

Watched a good chunk of the champion's tour match (1-3 pm ET) and concluded it was all upconverted 1080i. Seemed like a close call, though, because some shots (blimp, crane-mounted cameras) were very crisp [edited]. But believe the variations in camera image crispness was due to differences between portable camera lenses and the big high-MTF (modulation transfer function) studio lenses used for stationary cameras. (This article outlines lens MTF differences.) This lens variation was apparent here from many earlier upconverted-1080i matches (NBC, etc.), but it's also visible from CBS's all-true-1080i broadcasts, with the studio-type lenses delivering better resolution than the portable cameras. (Using NYC's TWC, a 8300HD cable converter, and a 9"-gun 64" RPTV.) -- John
post #8 of 10 Old 04-23-2007, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Watched a good chunk of the champion's tour match (1-3 pm ET) and concluded it was all upconverted 1080i. Seemed like a close call, though, because some shots (blimp, crane-mounted cameras) delivered very crisp shots. But believe the variations in camera image crispness was due to differences between portable camera lenses and the big high-MTF (modulation transfer function) studio lenses used for stationary cameras. (This article outlines lens MTF differences.) This lens variation was apparent here from many earlier upconverted-1080i matches (NBC, etc.), but it's also visible from CBS's all-true-1080i broadcasts, with the studio-type lenses delivering better resolution than the portable cameras. (Using NYC's TWC, a 8300HD cable converter, and a 9"-gun 64" RPTV.) -- John

Definitely a difference between SD and HD shots. Unlikely that CBS would show anything widescreen and completely upconverted.

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #9 of 10 Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
I didn't watch a lot of either tournament, but the Champs tour event was a mixture of SD and HD, like NBCs PGA Tour coverage.

This doesn't bother me one bit, I love the 16x9 picture and much wider views of the golf course.

I was also impressed to see some LPGA in 16x9 on VSGLF a few weeks back. That was a mix of HD and SD also.

Not perfect, but better than 4x3 SD

It's time to give props to WLNS for the HD crawl generator!!!

Now we need WHTV to go HD and Lansing's CW to get a separate transmitter so it isn't a digital sub.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-23-2007, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe hphase or another CBS insider, or someone at the site truck could pin it (mixed SD/HD? for Champions match) down. Interested, in part, since my cable converter, like many, is limited to <1300 effective lines (from HDNet anyway) and the upper limit is supposedly still ~1450 effective lines. -- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page