Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #21031 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My thoughts roughly echo those of both archiguy and TitusTroy.

LOVED the show.

Hated the finale.

Yes, I appreciate all those seasons of great entertainment but, the finale just left me so hollow.

I guess it's better to have loved and Lost, then never loved at all.

Clearly the writers got themselves in way over their heads and then ran out of creative gas and just threw in the towel and laughed all the way to the bank. No amount of revisionism is going to alter THAT timeline.

JMHO
Willie_Tee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21032 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I was a big Lost and GoT fan, and I think part of the problem is that the shows (particularly early on) were so good, that audiences expected so much, and while I don't think either ending was terrible, neither lived up to the anticipation and expectations that had build up culminating to it.

BTW - I started watching Lost as I stumbled upon it checking out OTA HD boadcasts on my new Sony XBR-910 CRT TV - A 34" TV that I paid $2,400 for!!!!! Blast from the past for sure!
CruelInventions likes this.

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic UB420, Apple TV 4K, JBL Studio 530’s, Dual Driver VBSS

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne, Roku Express (2019)
post #21033 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6368 Post(s)
Liked: 5858
LOST was one of the first shows I can remember that actually set an end date years ahead of time...GRRM mentioned that he hated the ending of LOST but endings to long running serialized TV shows/books are not easy...very hard to nail it...so many years of world building and mythology

but I do think LOST started a trend where showrunners started exerting more power over the network...nowadays the power has shifted to showrunners like Vince Gilligan, Jonathan Nolan etc to end a show when they feel the story has reached its natural endpoint versus going on with no end in sight even though they ran out of creative juice years ago (Walking Dead)
Zookster likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21034 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2411
I wish I could have a more favorable view of Lost overall, in spite of the last season, looking back 10 years later. But the second I saw the thread bump, my initial reaction was "Good lord, what new nonsense is being discussed now," rather than "Ooh Lost! I get to talk about my favorite show again!" Unfortunately, that's probably a good indication of how I'll feel about GoT in 10 years.
post #21035 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2694 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post

BTW - I started watching Lost as I stumbled upon it checking out OTA HD boadcasts on my new Sony XBR-910 CRT TV - A 34" TV that I paid $2,400 for!!!!! Blast from the past for sure!
I had the 34 inch XBR too. Forget what I paid for though, probably around that, with a stand that I still have.

In the end I gave it away practically just to get it out of my house and replace it with a 50-inch Panny plasma, which I still have.

So I would have watched Lost on that XBR.

Now, ironically, I'm balking at spending over $2 for a 65-inch LG OLED.
Mocs123 likes this.
post #21036 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 2411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I had the 34 inch XBR too. Forget what I paid for though, probably around that, with a stand that I still have.

In the end I gave it away practically just to get it out of my house and replace it with a 50-inch Panny plasma, which I still have.

Very similar path for me. I had the Toshiba 34" HDTV, then a few years later I sold it for $150 after I got a 46" Panny PZ800U, which still runs like a champ. Though I spent in the $1,200-$1,400 range for each of those two TVs, I'm balking at $1,300 for the 55" LG OLED. I think I'd be more inclined to pull the trigger if 4K content were as common as HD content was in 2008.
post #21037 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have access to Amazon Prime and some of the Hulu content is suppose to be 4K.

I could obviously subscribe to Netflix, though I'm not sure how many of their shows I'd dedicate hours and hours to.

I'll just in at some point but LG is making only incremental improvements and there is going to be more OLED competition, from brands using LG panels.

If they had all major live sports in 4K, I'd have jumped in already.
Zookster likes this.
post #21038 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 555
The Lost conclusion doesn't hold a candle to the complete and utter disaster that was Season 7 and 8 of GOT....D&D could NOT have been more lazy in their attempt to conclude the series.

I guess I just don't remember LOST that well...

I remember the ARGs between seasons and I remember getting an Apolo candy bar...they created this immersive experience outside of the TV show that I will always love. You could really tell they had a passion to tell a story in a new way but I understand that the finale rub people the wrong - I think, if I can remember, I was fine it. It wasn't disappointing or disastrous like Game of Thrones

Lost is like Battlestar Galatica for me - which I'm currently attempting to re-watch from start-to-finish - they were way ahead of their time for "peak TV" - they deserve our respect
StormCrow and Zookster like this.

Josh
post #21039 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 4007 Post(s)
Liked: 2332
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Very similar path for me. I had the Toshiba 34" HDTV, then a few years later I sold it for $150 after I got a 46" Panny PZ800U, which still runs like a champ. Though I spent in the $1,200-$1,400 range for each of those two TVs, I'm balking at $1,300 for the 55" LG OLED. I think I'd be more inclined to pull the trigger if 4K content were as common as HD content was in 2008.
Quote:
I have access to Amazon Prime and some of the Hulu content is suppose to be 4K.

I could obviously subscribe to Netflix, though I'm not sure how many of their shows I'd dedicate hours and hours to.

I'll just in at some point but LG is making only incremental improvements and there is going to be more OLED competition, from brands using LG panels.

If they had all major live sports in 4K, I'd have jumped in already.

IIRC I started on my old RCA 36" HD monitor/TV. I then moved to a CRT front projector. A couple of models of those. I finished the series with a Marantz DLP. I think it was the VP400. A fun ride of displays.

Regarding LG OLEDs, Best Buy was running a sale recently. I am not sure if it is still going, but it was talked about in the OLED deals forum. They had open box units going for incredible prices. IIRC a 65" was $1200. I was looking at a 77" for $2200, but someone grabbed it before I could get it.

I picked up my current 55" OLED from Firstclasstvs on ebay. He said the best price you will get is when ebay does their deal of the day.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #21040 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Lost is like Battlestar Galatica for me - which I'm currently attempting to re-watch from start-to-finish - they were way ahead of their time for "peak TV" - they deserve our respect
I think that's fair.

But I have to give the nod to BSG all around. And it had the better finale of the two.

That said... IIRC, I feel like Lost had me more on the edge of my seat to tune in next week.
lax01 likes this.
post #21041 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7029 Post(s)
Liked: 8041
Quote:
I was a big Lost and GoT fan, and I think part of the problem is that the shows (particularly early on) were so good, that audiences expected so much, and while I don't think either ending was terrible, neither lived up to the anticipation and expectations that had build up culminating to it.
I think that's fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123
Quote:

I had the XBR-910 too!! The very best CRT TV ever made, along with the newer 960 & 970 models (same tube). And what a beast! That thing weighed around 200 lbs. It was a total bitch to move.

I kept it as long as I could, up to around 2011 or 12 I think. Then decided I needed to move up to the next generation, a big 55" flat screen. So I did the research and found the highest rated LCD was the LG LHX. Was a FALD with something like 240 zones of local dimming. Best contrast ratio & black levels ever for an LCD, rivaling the famed Kuro plasma, and was Best In Show at CEDIA in 2009. Problem was, it was so expensive to manufacture, LG made the calculation they could not sell it at the price point they needed to (around $4k) to make a profit on it. So they pulled the plug before it got into wide production. They still made a few hundred of 'em (nobody really knows) before pulling said plug and they were out there in the wild. I got lucky enough to find one for $2K, on QVC of all places.

So that meant I had to get rid of that XBR-910. Couldn't sell it by that time, the world long since having moved on from CRT's, so I ended up giving it away to my mother-in-law. She kept it up 'till a couple of years ago when she finally got a Visio 55 incher. At that point, we just took it to a recycling center, giving me a hernia in the process, and bid it farewell. Probably in some Indonesian landfill now.

So since I had the best CRT television ever made, followed by the best LCD TV ever made, I figured I needed to keep the streak going. I asked some of the gearheads on AVS what they recommended and the verdict was unanimous. One guy put it succinctly: "Go LG OLED and don't look back." So I got the 65" C9 back in December, an ebay Marketplace deal like Eric's. Paid $1700 I think. Good advice; the PQ on that thing is unreal.
Mocs123 likes this.
post #21042 of 21077 Old 05-23-2020, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3277 Post(s)
Liked: 4373
Ah, yes .. I fondly remember giving away my XBR-910 .. just to get rid of it ..

I them moved to a Hitachi 65" RPT Directors Series with 1080i .. it produced a stunning picture and took 4 guys from the dealer to get it in the house .. 'Magic Focus' .. it was the last and best of it's type ..

I always like to think that many of us here on AVS were Home Theater buffs before it even had a name ..
Mocs123 likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #21043 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 05:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
wow

Wow, just started watching Lost again with a friend that hadn't seen it, and I start getting post notices from the old forum. Only on season 1, ep. 4. Its been a long time. I too had an XBR910. It suddenly wouldn't turn on. It went out with the garbage, which you could do back then. Now they have to be recycled here in PA.

drkashner
post #21044 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7029 Post(s)
Liked: 8041
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkashner View Post
Wow, just started watching Lost again with a friend that hadn't seen it, and I start getting post notices from the old forum. Only on season 1, ep. 4. Its been a long time. I too had an XBR910. It suddenly wouldn't turn on. It went out with the garbage, which you could do back then. Now they have to be recycled here in PA.
Yeah, I had that problem too. It was a common issue with that model, a fly in its ointment. Had to get a TV repairman (remember those guys?) who was able to identify the problem. He came out to the house and replaced the power board or something, as the set was far too big & heavy to just lug into his store. No issues ever again after the repair.
post #21045 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Wow... six years and two months... that's gotta be some kind of record... guess this is the zombie thread that just won't die.

Quote:
Sorry, Haters: The Lost Finale Was a Powerful, Misunderstood Ending to One of TV's Boldest Shows
By Justin Kirkland, Esquire.com - May 23, 2020
If you think of Lost as a first draft for the superior series that come later—The Leftovers and The Good Place, namely—the missteps become more palatable.
https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...r-anniversary/
Wait, what now?

Lost was a "first draft" of The Leftovers and The Good Place? But definitely, definitely NOT a purgatory story? Seriously?!?

So Lindelost spends 5 years telling people he's doing sci-fi, then ends that with nothing remotely scientific, but instead he "decides to solve the mystery of what happens when you die?" Then he spends 3 years spinning a lot a religious nonsense about a "rapture-like" event, then ends that with a sci-fi explanation of the rapture.

Yeah, ok, fine, whatever...

Lindelost can paint a canvass fifteen shades of yellow and title it "Meditations on the Color Blue" if he wants, because hey, artistic license. But when he goes further and suggests that folks who look at it and see yellow instead of blue are basically just idiots who can't understand his genius, then I come back to more or less what I said six years ago: Lindelost is a jerk.

But today's world was unimaginable six years ago, and by today's standards Lindelost is a piker. I can't even say how many times I look at certain people on TV these days, and all I want to say is, "Stop wasting your breath." But I digress...

I thought Lost worked ok as a purgatory story, and I enjoyed the last season because that's how I looked at it then and I still do. But as sci-fi, the end really was dreadful, and the more people insist the island was "real", the less I care about ever seeing the first three seasons, which beyond the pilot episode, I mostly skipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I always thought exploring the idea of a super-advanced ancient civilization that perished in a tremendous natural disaster -- think Atlantis or the Pacific version known as Mu -- was the right way to go. That's precisely where it looked like they were going for awhile. The smoke monster, then, would not be "pure evil" (WTF?) It could be some form of nanobots, something that could plausibly exist in our real word, etc. That would have been an extremely compelling way to go with Season 6, and they could still have woven in all the personal connection & friendship stuff as well.
You should write that up. Couldn't be any worse sci-fi than what Lindelost did; he didn't even try. And if someone did come up with a decent sci-fi explanation for all the mysteries, it would make re-watching much more interesting, imo.

And finally, I've seen the first two seasons of The Good Place and I like it. It's a comedy and it's funny. The last season isn't on Netflix yet, so I suppose I should reserve judgment, but so far at least, it's nowhere near as pretentious as either Lost or The Leftovers, and I still have higher expectations of it than I ever did of Lindelost's work.

Last edited by joblo; 05-24-2020 at 07:35 PM.
post #21046 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked: 1124
Sorry, that article has zero credibility!

"The Good Place" is superior to LOST? Utter nonsense and a pathetic joke! Its not even fit enough to lick the boots of a single episode.

Whining about LOST is a favorite pastime of bloggers because the show literally has everything so they can complain at will.

LOST wasn't pretentious. It was groundbreaking and changed tv forever, countless other shows tried to copy it and none came close.

You'd have to be clueless or deliberately ignorant to not understand the ending. Which is what most people who complain about it are, lazy casuals who never paid attention, and this is a show that demanded attention.

The ending and the whole point of the show is literally spelt out in the scene between Jack and Christian. It was never about answers, its about the journey, the people you meet, aka the experience of watching the show, to remember and to move on. Everyone dies. All that matters in the end are the memories - the destination is the same for all of us.
nottenst likes this.
post #21047 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 7781 Post(s)
Liked: 17660
It wasn’t just the finale of Lost that was bad. That entire last season was terrible. It didn’t matter what kind of tv you had. But as bad as the Lost finale was, one word from another series finale reaches new depths in tv terribleness... Bran. Bran! F’cking Bran!!
slowbiscuit and Zookster like this.

post #21048 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
It wasn’t just the finale of Lost that was bad. That entire last season was terrible. It didn’t matter what kind of tv you had. But as bad as the Lost finale was, one word from another series finale reaches new depths in tv terribleness... Bran. Bran! F’cking Bran!!
What ?! S6 is one of the best! Did we watch the same show????

And how dare you compare it to the garbage thats GoT from S6 onwards.
post #21049 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In fact I'll go on and say LOST has one of the best finales of any series ever. It was an amazing end and for any true fan, extremely emotional.

For those who wanted an answer to 439878912 'mysteries' and some complicated mumbo jumbo, this was not the show for you. The show was about the characters and people and every single one of them got a fantastic send off and closure.

Also the creators of LOST could've milked it for another 5 seasons like most of the garbage on US network tv, never ending shows with endless crap. Instead they had decided early on it was going to end and stuck to it even though the show had incredible ratings and was easily the most popular show.
post #21050 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked: 3369
That first season was television at its best. The mysteries, I still remember so many people discussing it the next day at work and with my friends. Crazy good stuff. Not sure we will have something like that again. Really did change the television landscape out there.
archiguy and curtlots like this.

post #21051 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They got people to come up with theories so you had the whole reddit thing and people making Youtube videos to spout theories.

I think there was an official podcast too.

Of course they do all those things with Westworld and some other shows, which put in easter eggs, alternate timelines and other puzzles to solve.

Really an unfortunate tendency in TV.
post #21052 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Just started to re-watch this and had forgotten how young Evangeline Lilly looked on the first season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lost.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	757.5 KB
ID:	2732150  
lax01 likes this.
post #21053 of 21077 Old 05-24-2020, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
Just started to re-watch this and had forgotten how young Evangeline Lilly looked on the first season.
I hadn’t, but thanks for the photo anyway.
post #21054 of 21077 Old 05-28-2020, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I enjoyed the 6th season and the finale up until about 5 or 10 minutes left in the finale. I still think that everything they did, especially what Widmore was trying to do was pointing out that an alternate dimension/timeline was created which they could link to - especially Desmond. Making it a Limbo just didn't make sense to me. I guess it could be that Widmore was just mistaken in what he was trying to do. Oh, well.
post #21055 of 21077 Old 05-28-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I always thought that Lilly and Josh Holloway (Sawyer) were the actors most primed for post-LOST success...hasn't really turned out that way...both actors have had solid careers post-LOST but they never became the breakthrough superstars a lot of people envisioned...Holloway is reduced to USA network and CBS procedurals while Lilly's claim to fame is her role in the Ant Man movies
post #21056 of 21077 Old 05-28-2020, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 5306 Post(s)
Liked: 4394
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblo View Post
So Lindelost spends 5 years telling people he's doing sci-fi, then ends that with nothing remotely scientific, but instead he "decides to solve the mystery of what happens when you die?"
I find complaints like this hilarious. Go back and watch the show's pilot episode again. The series was set up from Minute 1 as a conflict between science (represented by Jack) and faith (represented by Locke). That dynamic was built into the series from the very beginning, and was consistently applied throughout its six season run. The arc of the story was structured with a mid-point at the Season 3 finale where Jack begins to turn from science to faith, fully transitioning there by the end.

This is baked into the fabric of the show all along. It's literally what the show is about.
MikeKlim, TitusTroy and nottenst like this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
post #21057 of 21077 Old 05-28-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I find complaints like this hilarious. Go back and watch the show's pilot episode again. The series was set up from Minute 1 as a conflict between science (represented by Jack) and faith (represented by Locke). That dynamic was built into the series from the very beginning, and was consistently applied throughout its six season run. The arc of the story was structured with a mid-point at the Season 3 finale where Jack begins to turn from science to faith, fully transitioning there by the end.

This is baked into the fabric of the show all along. It's literally what the show is about.
excellent point...and the perfect scene that encapsulates this, which is one of my all time favorites from this show, was in the S2 episode where Locke and Jack are arguing about Desmond's pushing of the button...Jack is a man of science who doesn't believe that entering the numbers into the computer does anything while Locke is a man of faith who wants him to just believe in the power of the island...

post #21058 of 21077 Old 05-28-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forget, how did Locke get the use of his legs back? He thought it was a magical island that did it. Did that turn out to be the case?
post #21059 of 21077 Old 05-28-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I forget, how did Locke get the use of his legs back? He thought it was a magical island that did it. Did that turn out to be the case?
yes...he was in a wheelchair before he got on the plane...after the plane crash he was able to walk
post #21060 of 21077 Old 05-28-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

But did the series show why he regained the ability to walk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page