Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 1656 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1306Likes

post #49651 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post

So now when tiger appears & sees his shadow does that mean 6 more weeks of winter ?

More like six more weeks of hearing about this stupidity...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49652 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Winter Olympics Notes
Olympic Roundtable Discusses NBC’s Coverage Thus Far

From Sports Business Journal’s 2010 Vancouver Olympics blog

NBC’s coverage has generated strong ratings, and media critics questioned by SportsBusiness Daily believe the network has done a solid job in producing the first week of the Games.

PROGRESS REPORT: St. Petersburg Times media columnist Tom Jones was the most effusive of our panelists with praise when it came to reviewing NBC’s coverage, as he gave the network an “A” for its efforts thus far. Jones felt NBC studio hosts Bob Costas and Al Michaels “have been solid,” and he had particular praise for the network’s willingness to show multiple events.

“The prime-time coverage, although some of it taped, has done a good job of bouncing from event to event and has kept the action moving,” Jones said.

Jones also “liked NBC putting labels on the screen — such as ‘Men’s Downhill in 14 minutes’ — to let viewers know what is coming up,” as well as the network’s analysts “for the events that aren’t particularly well known.” Jones felt the analysts have “done an excellent job analyzing their events, while explaining to novices the basic rules and strategies of the sports they are talking about.”

Less enthusiastic was Daily Variety reporter Brian Lowry, who called the coverage predictable. Lowry was not surprised by NBC’s decision to show newer Olympic sports, such as snowboarding, in prime time because they “appeal to a younger audience and because Americans do well in them.”

Lowry did say he had been impressed by how the network has “devoted some time to foreign athletes.” However that is “partially out of necessity, because the Americans don’t necessarily have medal contenders in some of the major events, such as the pairs skating.”

Meanwhile, the network’s emphasis on features during its Olympics coverage has been well documented, and though SportingNews.com’s Dan Levy did not necessarily find fault with this approach, he felt the network should “at least keep it to the greater Vancouver area.” Mary Carillo did a feature on polar bears from Manitoba during Monday’s broadcast, and Levy wondered, “What does that have to do with the Olympics, or Vancouver, B.C.?”

“Less of that, and more live coverage during the day, would be good,” Levy said.

APPROPRIATE HANDLING: All of the panelists felt NBC did a good job reporting on Nodar Kumaritashvili’s death during its Opening Ceremony coverage last Friday. Levy felt the network “handled the crash, and the news elements therein, very well.”

Lowry labeled the coverage as “appropriate,” given that the incident “certainly cast a pall over the start of the Games.” He also thought NBC was “wise” to use news anchor Brian Williams to handle the initial coverage. All three also agreed with the decision to air footage of the crash, with Jones noting the video was “more newsworthy than gratuitous.”

“The fact is, a man died, but the crash itself wasn’t terribly gruesome,” Levy said. “I appreciated the transparency of their coverage.” Jones noted NBC warned viewers before the footage, and he felt the video “showed viewers how the accident occurred and gave viewers a sense of what went wrong.”

Jones also said NBC by his count aired the accident “three times during the opening report, which to me was the right number. Any more than that would’ve been morbid or ghoulish.” Jones added, “I also thought they did a solid job of looking at just how dangerous the track was.”

DELAY OF GAMES: The panelists were not in agreement, however, when it came to NBC’s decision to tape delay many Olympic events, as well as how good of a job the network does at distinguishing between live and tape-delayed coverage.

Lowry felt criticism of NBC’s tape-delay policy was “overrated,” as “most people don’t sit down desperate to know who wins.”

“This is sort of the distinction between sports fans — who are accustomed to watching sports live — and the casual viewers who tune in for the Olympics,” Lowry said. “For them, it’s basically another variation on a reality TV show.”

Jones agreed the criticism was slightly misplaced, as NBC “doesn’t have a choice sometimes” when it comes to showing delayed coverage. However, he felt the network “could be more clear with what is on tape and what is live.” NBC sometimes designates that the coverage they are showing at a given time is “live,” but Jones felt they should go in the opposite direction, saying, “ I would like to see some sort of banner in the corner of the screen telling me if something is taped — something like ‘taped coverage’ or ‘earlier today.’”

Meanwhile, Levy was the most critical of the panelists in this area, saying, “It’s amazing how much money NBC spent on these Games, yet they still can’t seem to figure out how to package events on TV or online.” Levy expressed particular frustration with the fact that NBC is using multiple networks to televise the Games, “yet at any given time will have coverage on as few as one.”

“Why don’t they have dedicated channels for skiing, sledding, skating, hockey, etc., with live coverage as it happens, recaps of events that already took place and even record-breaking moments from other Olympics with interviews from the participants?” Levy said.

FLYING HIGH: Both Levy and Lowry felt NBC would be able to maintain the relatively strong ratings it has seen for the Olympics thus far. While Lowry noted there is “usually some fatigue along the way,” he felt the Olympics were benefiting from a “real appetite for big events on TV right now — witness the recent ratings for the Super Bowl, Grammys and Golden Globes.”

As a result, Lowry felt ratings “will be pretty strong throughout — especially when they get into a marquee event like the women’s figure skating.” Levy also cited the power of figure skating, which “seems to drive an audience, so no matter what, the prime-time numbers should remain strong for NBC.”

Jones was less optimistic, believing the ratings will be dependent on each night’s lineup.

“NBC will get another big bump with the ladies figure skating and, perhaps, when some of the stars of these Games compete,” Jones said. “But I think we will see obvious peaks and valleys in the ratings for the rest of the Games.”

http://******/194NX
post #49653 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

James Cameron announced yesterday that 3D blu-ray "Avatar" will be ready for a November release.

On Thursday night, a spokesman for 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment notified the WSJ: "3D is in the conceptual stage and Avatar will not be out on 3D Blu-ray in November."

I think fox is bluffing & cameron let the "cat out of the bag".
There will be a bare bones blu in april.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49654 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa View Post

I am liking Julie Mancuso more and more.

I'm with you on that.

What's not to like?: (links are intentional so pics don't clutter the thread)

http://away.com/images/outside/20071...-mancuso-1.jpg
http://www.adrants.com/images/julie_...lange_girl.jpg
post #49655 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Winter Olympics Notes
Vancouver TV Schedule For Friday, Feb. 19
(All Times Eastern)

NBC
3-5 p.m. Women's cross country: 15k pursuit (live); men's figure skating: gold medal final (reprise)
8-11:30 p.m. Figure skating: compulsory dance (live); men's and women's skeleton: gold medal final (live); men's Alpine skiing: Super G; ski jumping: individual K-120 large hill competition
12:05-1:30 a.m. Medals ceremonies
1:30-5 a.m. Prime-time replay

USA
Noon-3 p.m. Women's curling: USA vs. Russia (live)

MSNBC
3-5:30 p.m. Men's ice hockey: Belarus vs. Sweden (live)
Midnight-3 a.m. Men's ice hockey: Finland vs. Germany (live)
3-6 a.m. Men's curling: Denmark vs. Canada

CNBC
5 p.m.-1 a.m. Men's curling: USA vs. France (live); men's ice hockey: Czech Republic vs. Latvia (live); women's curling: Denmark vs. Canada (live)
post #49656 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Thursday’s fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings – along with Media Week Analyst Marc Berman’s view of what they mean -- have been posted at the top of Ratings News -- the second post in this thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10367387
post #49657 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I didn't make it all the way around the dial, but NBC, CBS, and ABC all carried his press conference live with a short commentary period afterwards. By the time I flipped over to Fox it was over; it looked like Fox didn't bring national coverage, but my local affiliate covered it.

When was the last time the major networks all broke from regular programming to carry, of all things, a press statement? I would've expected ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and the like to carry it, but the major networks?
post #49658 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Winter Olympics Notes
Olympic Roundtable Discusses NBC's Coverage Thus Far

From Sports Business Journal's 2010 Vancouver Olympics blog

These guys are crazy if they think it is appropriate to show someones death on TV. I don't care how gruesome or newsworthy it is. It is wrong.

Also I bet all of these guys are from the East Coast and don't know anyone on a social network site from another country.
post #49659 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Overnight Nielsen Notes in the 18-49 Demo
NBC'S Olympics whack the competition
ABC's lineup of original shows slides 17 percent

By Toni Fitzgerald, MediaLifeMagazine.com staff writer, February 19, 2010

ABC won the opening night of sweeps two weeks ago, but last night against the Olympics its lineup took a hit.

The only Big Five network with an entirely new lineup, ABC saw top show "Grey's Anatomy" slip to a series low, four years after the sixth-year medical drama beat the Winter Games at the peak of its popularity.

ABC averaged a 2.5 adults 18-49 rating and 7 share, according to Nielsen overnights, down 17 percent from last week's 3.0 and tying for second for the night with CBS.

NBC's Winter Games coverage, including the U.S. men's first figure skating gold since 1988, was well ahead at 7.1/19.

For the second straight week, "Grey's" finished behind "Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains" on CBS, though this time the two were not squaring off in the same timeslot. "Survivor" went back to its usual 8 p.m. slot after airing a two-hour episode from 8 to 10 last week.

"Grey's" averaged a 3.7 at 9 p.m., the night's No. 2 non-sports show behind "Survivor's" 3.9, also off from last week, and down 14 percent from last week's 4.3.

Meanwhile, Univision did better than usual for the night with its "Premio Lo Nuestro" music awards boosting the network to fourth among 18-49s with a 2.2/6. Fox was fifth at 1.3/4 and the CW sixth at 0.7/2.

As a reminder, all ratings are based on live-plus-same-day DVR playback. Seven-day DVR data won’t be available for several weeks. Thirty-four percent of Nielsen households have DVRs.

Also, ratings for NBC’s Olympics are approximate as fast nationals measure timeslot and not actual program data.

At 8 p.m. NBC was first with a 6.2 for the Olympics, followed by CBS with a 3.9 for “Survivor.” Univision was third with a 2.2 for the first of three hours of “Premio,” Fox fourth with a 1.6 for a repeat of “Bones,” ABC fifth with a 1.1 for “The Deep End” and the CW sixth with a 0.7 for a “The Vampire Diaries” rerun.

NBC was first again at 9 p.m. with an 8.3 for the Olympics, while ABC moved to second with a 3.7 for “Grey’s.” Univision was third with a 2.3 for “Premio,” CBS fourth with a 1.9 for a repeat of “The Mentalist,” Fox fifth with a 1.1 for “Past Life” and CW sixth with a 0.7 for a repeat of “Supernatural.”

At 10 p.m. NBC led with a 6.8 for the Olympics, with ABC second with a 2.8 for “Private Practice.” Univision was third with a 2.0 for the final hour of “Premio” and CBS fourth with a 1.7 for a repeat of “CSI.”

NBC was also first for the night among households with a 14.7 average overnight rating and a 23 share. CBS was second at 5.9/9, ABC third at 4.9/8, Fox fourth at 2.9/5, Univision fifth at 2.8/4 and CW sixth at 1.1/2.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ompetition.asp
post #49660 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:09 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

I didn't make it all the way around the dial, but NBC, CBS, and ABC all carried his press conference live with a short commentary period afterwards. By the time I flipped over to Fox it was over; it looked like Fox didn't bring national coverage, but my local affiliate covered it.

When was the last time the major networks all broke from regular programming to carry, of all things, a press statement? I would've expected ESPN, CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, and the like to carry it, but the major networks?

FOX Network had live coverage separate from FNC. Rick Folbaum anchored and there was a short Q&A afterwards. Your affiliate may have chosen to not take it since it was a Level 2 cut-in.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #49661 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I guess HD has come of age when even these events are covered with mega pixels. IMO the most memorable part was the failure of the primary camera feed in the middle! Maybe one of the mistresses pulled the plug.

Most all the networks were HD with the exception of FOX. E! wasn't in HD, but interesting in that the audio was nearly a second delayed from the video.

If Tiger is truly sorry, he can make it up to his fans by an unselfish act of kindness: Half off on Tiger trinkets!
post #49662 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
DTN

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

TV Notes
Did 'Cinderella' ratings outdraw the Super Bowl?

By James Hibberd in the The Hollywood Reporter LiveFeed blog, February 10, 2010

Super Bowl XLIV was the most-watched TV event of all time. CBS said so. Nielsen said so. And hey, The Live Feed said so.

But some say otherwise.

Because back in 1957, the broadcast television premiere of Rodgers & Hammerstein's made-for-TV adaptation of "Cinderella" is said to have drawn a record 107 million viewers.

This statistic has been around for decades. Modern references citing the figure can be found on reputable sites such as IMDB, NY Mag, PBS and USA Today.

Sunday's record-setting big game was seen by 106.5 million viewers.

So what gives? Did Julie Andrews twirling around in a ball gown in the 1950s really trump Sunday's mega-game?

Let's look at where that 107 million comes from.

Nielsen did not measure individual viewers at the time, so an apples-to-apples comparison is out. The number is apparently derived from combining one ratings service -- a company called Trendex -- that estimated a record 4.4 viewers watched "Cinderella" per TV set, with Nielsen's household rating of 49.1. You multiple the number of homes represented by that rating by the number of average viewers per set and get 107 million.

Now there's a few problems with this.

First, combining one measurement system with another is an awfully shady way to come up with reputable audience measurement. It might have been done back in the 1950s, but so was using your back to lift boxes instead of bending at the knees.

Second, 4.4 viewers per TV set? A Nielsen spokesperson was highly doubtful that number could be accurate. Families did gather around the TV set in the 1950s, but that would mean a fair percentage of them had households like Jon & Kate. Another fact which makes this less credible, in 1960, the U.S. population was 179,323,175 so to get 107 million viewers, that would mean 60% of America was watching -- not just those with fancy newfangled TVs.

Third, even if the 4.4 is accurate, at the time there were 49 million households in the country, but only 38.6 million households with TVs, according to Nielsen. If the 49.1 rating is right, then that meant that 18.95 million households watched "Cinderella." Even at 4.4 viewers per house watching, this only comes out to 83.4 million people.

So the idea that 107 million people watched "Cinderella" is, yeah, probably just a fairy tale.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/02/cinde...yth-.html#more

The Case for 'Cinderella' as All-time Most Viewed Broadcast

First of all, let me commend Mr. James Hibberd for having the inquisitiveness and journalistic integrity to prepare an investigative report on this story. History is important, and surely the record of all-time most-viewed broadcast is worthy of peeling at least one layer beneath the surface of press release cheerleading.

In search of more facts, I scanned through some microfilms from the 1950s of all publications that I could access.

At this point, it is worth reminding all readers that ratings in the 1950s were not as instantaneous as those of today. Reporting of the numbers took place over the course of a month, so I apologize to all Twitterites for my unconscionable length (I cannot afford a professional editor), but in this David vs Goliath dispute over historical truth, I pledge to leave no stone unturned.

Let me first say, in response to Mr. Hibberd's contention that "combining one measurement system with another is an awfully shady way to come up with reputable audience measurement".

No, Mr. Hibberd, there is no shadow of shadiness to cast upon these numbers. Back in the fifties, there were multiple, reputable audience measurement houses...A.C. Nielsen, Trendex, Arbitron, even Hooper were all in the number-crunching business. All were issuing ratings reports in that era, using differing methodologies, but largely coming up with roughly similar measurements. There was no monopoly on audience measurement in those days, and broadcasters as well as advertising agents used the multiple reports to establish audience levels to justify advertising rates. To characterize an entire decade's worth of numbers as "shady" just because instantaneous roll-up off of PeopleMeters was not available in that day would be to invalidate NFL attendance figures from 1950s-era games because scanner-technologies were not employed in ticket-taking. Or invalidating filmed championship games simply because referee review of slow-motion tape was not available. Just like NFL attendance levels and championship game outcomes were decided fairly in the fifties using the methodologies and rules of the time, so must television audience measurements, which were used, then as now, as the basis to charge advertisers, issue renewal papers to producers, and send notes of cancellation to the lowly-rated.

Here is a history of the reporting on CBS's 'Cinderella' as the most viewed broadcast in television history.

Sundays March 17th & 24th, 1957

'Cinderella' is recorded in kinescope during a full-scale "tryout" performance staged in New Haven, Connecticutt. This is the first time that CBS employed a recorded "tryout" run-through of a live broadcast. Based on this recorded version, Messrs. Rogers, Hammerstein, Lewine (producer) and Nelson (director) made minor changes of a "doctoring" nature to the production on an act by act basis, and a second "tryout" kinescope was recorded on Sunday March 24th with the changes incorporated. These two kinescopes added an additional $20k to the $350-375k estimated production cost, but CBS planned to amortize the extra cost over their planned two runs of 'Cinderella'. (Variety, pgs.21, 44, March 27, 1957 issue).
I have subsequently learned that a copy of the March 17th, 1957 "tryout" kinescope survived and was discovered in 2002 within a CBS tape archive in Hollywood. Those who have screened it alongside the March 31st kinescope (it has been re-broadcast on PBS) have noted the many changes that were made by the creators.

Sunday March 31st, 1957

'Cinderella' is broadcast live from 8:00-9:30 p.m. across the CBS Television Network, sponsored by Pepsi-Cola and Shulton. In their pg. 42 review of the production, Variety noted "CBS played it smart in pre-guaranteeing a smash audience of juves and adults alike in preempting perhaps the choicest time segments on the spectrum ('Ed Sullivan Show' and 'GE Theatre')..."

Though not attributing the decline to the Sunday-night 'Cinderella' effect, Variety reported on pg.8 that movie theatre admissions took a weekly hit, reporting Broadway grosses of $575,200 (25 theatres) vs the year-before $804,000 (24 theatres), and the key city grosses were also down to $2,539,700 (23 cities, 247 theatres) vs. year-before $2,998,200 (21 cities, 206 theatres).

Wednesday April 3rd, 1957

Variety reports in a front-page story the following headline CBS-TV Claims Over 100,000,000 Viewers for R&H 'Cinderella'. The story elaborates that the network estimates 107,000,000 viewers "based on Trendex ratings and audience composition information, projected to a Nielsen total audience level. Here is the math:
  • The actual Trendex national rating was a 43.3 average, broken down as follows:

8:00 p.m.
    'Cinderella' (CBS) 41.3
    'Steve Allen Show' (NBC) 16.6
    'The Original Amateur Hour' (ABC) 3.7

8:30 p.m.
    'Cinderella' (CBS) 42.5
    'Steve Allen Show' (NBC) 18.5
    'Open Hearing' (ABC) 1.9

9:00 p.m.
    'Cinderella' (CBS) 46.1
    'Alcoa Hour' (NBC) 12.6
    'Omnibus' (ABC) 2.4

• CBS projected a Nielsen audience rating of 61.5, based on historical Trendex-Nielsen patterns on similarly themed specials 'Peter Pan' and 'Jack & The Beanstalk'.
  • CBS projected a Nielsen household count of 24,200,000 tv homes.
  • Trendex reported an actual national audience composition of 4.43 persons/household.
  • CBS projected total viiewership calculated as follows = 24,200,000 * 4.43 = 107,206,000 viewers
(Variety pg.1, April 3, 1957 issue)

It is important to point out that the Trendex rating and audience composition was based on what were known then as live coincidental polling methodology whereby an agent from Trendex telephoned their sample base during the time the program was on, and asked what was being watched on television in their household, and asked who was watching. At this time, Nielsen was still using a mailed diary system to calculate their national household numbers, which were reported as two-week averages roughly a month after broadcast. At the time, I think Nielsen were in early stages of telephone-linked meters, but these were only deployed in a few urban markets.

CBS, and other broadcasters, would typically commission a Trendex rating for the first few episodes of a series (to establish the viewership patterns), but would usually order up Trendex's for all specials, sports telecasts and movies because of the need to give advertisers a more detailed viewership breakdown.

The reason broadcasters went the extra length to get Trendexes on specials/sports/movies was that they were the types of broadcasts that brought in extra viewers. It is also important to note that in the late 1950s, television ownership was not yet universal, and households were still being added in at the rate of a few million per year. As viewers of 1950s era television will remember, it was special broadcasts where a neighbour without television would be invited over (the Mertzes visit the Ricardos), or where radio-addicted grandparents would be invited over for supper and to watch a television special with their children while their grandchildren sat on the floor before them. Variety noted that the then record-high Trendex might have been influenced by big 'Cinderella' "color parties" in cities where CBS color broadcasting was enabled (at the time, CBS was broadcasting chiefly in black and white, however, they had heavily promoted 'Cinderella' being in color). The previous record for audience composition had been a 4.0 person average recorded by an episode of NBC's 'Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis'.

In the Wednesday April 3rd, 1957 issue of Variety, CBS took out a two-page advertisement on pages 36 & 37 with a left-full-page still from 'Cinderella' of Miss Julie Andrews posed singing with a mop in hand, and the following copy on the right-face-page:

"

ACT OF MAGIC
At the stroke of 8, Sunday night, nearly every home in the nation witnessed an act of electronic magic that only television can perform.

It presented Cinderella - a 300-year-old tale, infused with life and song especially for television by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II, two master magicians of the theatre, and gave it a new kind of opening night.

It was an opening night that television itself had never seen.

It was scheduled on 245 stations for broadcast over practically the entire continent of North America - the largest number of television stations assembed by a network for a single program.

It was watched by an audience of over 100 million - the largest number ever to view an entertainment program - enough, as some pointed out, to fill a Broadway theatre 7 days a week for 165 years.

By capturing and enthralling virtually an entire population simultaneously, it demonstrated again the medium's unique power not only to satisfy the public's increasing interest in television but also the advertiser's need for vast audiences.

It offered further evidence that even a fabulous program can attract still more spectacular audiences when it is broadcast over a network with the most popular program schedule in telvision."

CBS TELEVISION Though not signed, the advertisement had all the dignity and integrity of Mr. Frank Stanton, then-President of CBS, and Mr. William Paley, then-Chairman of CBS, two distinguished television pioneers responsible more than anyone else for CBS's reputation as the Tiffany of broadcasters and the top-rated broadcaster through most of the fifties.

There was also a full page ad taken out in Variety by Kenyon & Eckhardt Inc., a major advertising agency of that era, that had packaged the Pepsi-Cola and Shulton commercials that sponsored 'Cinderella'. Kenyon & Eckhardt's full-page advertisement on page 65 extolled that "'Cinderella' was seen by over 100,000,000 people, according to Trendex". In their advertisement, Kenyon & Eckhardt expanded upon their various techniques for ensuring advertiser effectiveness in connecting with tv audiences, ending with their "four ways to measure tv effectiveness:

1. Delivering audiences at a low cost.
2. The ratings of the shows.
3. The ratings of the commercials (preference ratings measured in Schwerin tests).
4. The resourcefulness of the agency's tv research.

In the April 3rd, 1957 issue of Variety, in a back-page trailer to the front page story, the NBC research department took issue with the CBS ratings claims for 'Cinderella' in a text-box response titled "NBC's Deflater". They took issue with the 15 urban samples of Trendex where a total of 7,750,000 households using television (HUT) with 18,200,000 viewers living in those HUT homes (it is important to note that this HUT count did not represent all homes or population in the markets, just those who had already installed a television in their homes). NBC pointed out that Trendex had reported an audience composition of 2.7 viewers for 'Steve Allen Show' (under the normal 3.1 viewer average), while the ABC/independents audience composition was 2.0 viewers per set. Rolling them all together, and the total viewership on those 7,750,000 sets was 18,500,000 viewers, 300,000 more viewers than lived in those households using television, presuming 100% tune-in by the actual 18,200,000 viewers in those homes using television.

To deflate NBC's deflator, I would first point out that the Nielsen sample counted only Homes Using Television, and population living in those homes, but excluded those who had not yet installed tvs in their households (still a significant proportion of the 1957 population). The 1956-57 season-opening Homes Using Television (HUT) count of 38,900,000 homes saw a further 3,020,000 homes added during the year so that by the beginning of the 1957-58 season, when the household count had climbed to 41,920,000 HUT. It is almost certain that Trendex picked up on this galloping growth in television ownership...the Trendex sample was derived a randomized selection from listed and unlisted telephone numbers, not from a statistically-selected sample of households mailed a diary. The leap that Trendex picked up likely occurred because a number of homes got their first television hook-up specifically to view 'Cinderella'...anecodotally, I remember that whenever a major television event occurred, the television stores would be typically be sold out of all the good sets and antenna installations could sometimes be hard to come by as well.

Wednesday May 1, 1957

Variety reported in a page 26 story under the following headline R&H 'Cinderella' Tops the Nielsens. The story elaborateed that:

"At least part of CBS-TV's claims of an audience of 107,000,000 for its March 31 Rodgers & Hammerstein 'Cinderella' spec have been justified by the latest Nielsen Top 10 list covering the two weeks ended April 6. 'Cinderella' topped the list with an average rating of 49.1 and a total audience rating of 60.6. When CBS-TV research chief Jay Eliasberg got the overnight Trendex figures on the spec, he projected the Trendex to a Nielsen total audience of 61.5, only 0.9 points off the actual mark. Still in dispute, however, is the Trendex viewers-per-set mark of 4.43, and there won't be any final say on that since Nielsen doesn't cover audience composition. Hence, the Nielsen total homes mark 23,305,000 is in line with the CBS projection, but the actual number of viewers will never be finally determined."

(Variety pg.26, May 1, 1957 issue)

Here is the revised math, using the Nielsen finals (diary-based) with the Trendex actuals (telephone-incidentals):
  • The actual Trendex national rating was a 43.3 average
  • Nielsen final audience rating of 60.6.
  • Nielsen final household count of 23,305,000 tv homes.
  • Trendex reported an actual national audience composition of 4.43 persons/household.
  • Total viewership calculated as follows = 23,305,000 * 4.43 = 103,241,150 viewers

The difference of 107,000,000 - 103,241,150 = 3,758,850 viewers likely lies is in that 3,090,000 household gain that occurred between the start of the 1956-57 season and the 1957-58 season. Trendex picked up on this growth in HUT, but Nielsen only revised its HUT count at the beginning of each season.

Adding in a percentage of the household gain, which occurred at the mid-season point (March 31st) gets us above 107 million and more likely in the 110 million viewer range. Let's assume that half of that 3,020,000 household gain had occurred by the time of the March 31st broadcast (a creditable assumption given that the 13-week spring season and 13-week summer season were not periods of maximum viewership or specials/movies/sports "stunting":
  • The actual Trendex national rating was a 43.3 average
  • Nielsen final audience rating of 60.6.
  • Revised household count:

Nielsen final household count of 23,305,000 tv homes.
    50% of 3,090,000 1956-57 season household gain = +1,520,000 tv homes
    Revised final household count = 24,825,000 tv homes

• Revised total viewership calculated as follows = 24,825,000 * 4.43 = 109,974,750 viewers

The February 7th broadcast of 'Super Bowl XLIV' attracted 106,476,000 live plus same-day viewers...the final viewer count also included those who watched the game up until 3:00 a.m. on Monday morning via their DVRs. This years 'Super Bowl' occurred in a year with static HUT but increasing DVR usage, so the live C3 (commercials viewed) viewer count for the 'Super Bowl' is likely to be somewhere in the 103-105 million range, perhaps approximating the final Nielsen times Trendex 103,241,150 viewer count for 'Cinderella'.

However, if one gives the 'Super Bowl' broadcast credit for their additional same-day DVR viewers, one has to allow for the likelihood that there was a significant HUT increase that occurred during the 1956-57 season. According to my revised viewership calculation of 109,974,750, occurring in a year where Homes Using Television or HUT grew by 7.7%, surely ascertains that the all-time live viewership champion is still the 1957 CBS broadcast of Rodgers & Hammerstein's 'Cinderella'.

Finally, I'm somewhat piqued that a journalist reporting on CBS's claim of all-time viewership for 'Super Bowl XLIV' by contacting Mr. Alan Alda for his comments on the finale of 'M*A*S*H' being surpassed (Mr. Joe Flint of The Los Angeles Times in his February 8, 2010 story "Alan Alda tips hat - albeit reluctantly - to Saints for breaking `MASH' ratings record") would have completely overlooked seeking comments from Miss Julie Andrews on being involved in what is arguably still the all-time most-viewed television broadcast.

Miss Julie Andrews, the star of CBS's 1957 broadcast of the fairy tale 'Cinderella', still the most-viewed broadcast of all time.
post #49663 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Tiger should apologize to his wife and tell everyone else to go pound sand. He's gotta start looking for new endorsements anyway.
post #49664 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

TV Notes
Daytime Media Ready To Ride the Tiger

Isn't this what got him in trouble in the first place?
post #49665 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I am liking Julie Mancuso more and more.

Actually it's Julia Mancuso and I agree with you.
post #49666 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Is that your original research, DTN?
post #49667 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:54 AM
DTN

Quote:

Is that your original research, DTN?

Yes, Fred, it is. Where applicable, I've attributed to Variety. My trusty librarian is still trying to track down 1957 issues of Broadcasting (the former Broadcasting & Cable) and Advertising Age as I'm sure they both weighed in on the 'Cinderella' viewership as well.

I originally challenged Mr. Hibberd on the morning after the 'Super Bowl' in the comments feedback to his original article (which may or may not have prompted his investigation and report), and I also issued several challenges to the overnight ratings and CBS press claims on the tvbythenumbers.com website, but not a soul there cared about it one bit. Until I came across Mr. Hibberd's piece on your website, I hadn't seen any other reporting on it. Mr. Hibberd's piece galvanized me into action to assemble factual research to support my carefully maintained record books for most-viewed (little old nobody me, the Guiness of truth in audience history, imagine?).

As you can no doubt detect, it irks me that a momentus record and achievement by Roger's & Hammerstein, Miss Julie Andrews and CBS can be so Orwellianly be swept under the rug like it never happened. I do hope this at least prompts Mr. Joe Flint to use the Rolodex of The Los Angeles Times editors desk to call Miss Andrews and, belatedly, seek out her comment.

Some one has to stand up for the legendary accomplishments of the Tiffany network and the enormous drawing power of television in the fifties. 'American Idol' audiences today seems like such a big thing to ratings commentators today, but to those who have watched television throughout its grand history, an audience of 30 million was 'Leave it to Beaver' on a good night.
post #49668 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

TV Notes
New Series Scorecard

By Marc Berman, MediaWeek

http://pifeedback.com/eve/forums/a/t...2672#852102672

these guys are morons. Top three are reality/procedural - that's a surprise. Community is one of the best if not the best new comedy of the year (behind Modern Family) and Life Unexpected is actually pretty good for a new coming of age drama.
post #49669 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Who are the morons? The viewers (or lack of them?)
post #49670 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Very, very, impressive work, DTN!

I hope you have emailed Hibberd (who is a responsible and reasonable reporter) as well as Flint.

I am not sure you have brought me totally on board, (that 4.43 viewers per household is hard for me to swallow) but your research is very, very impressive, to say the least.

Thank so much for sharing it with us.
post #49671 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Who are the morons? The viewers (or lack of them?)

they're giving them a letter grade, and not based solely on viewers. There's a Fox show that's a B right above a Fox show that's an F and they're only separated by a couple hundred thousand viewers. Giving thing a letter grade makes it seem like you're grading them subjectively.
post #49672 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

Marc always grades subjectively, based on the competition, how a show hangs onto is lead-in (if applicable), its trend, and more. He's got far more experience than we do, and I generally think his gut is about as good as anyone in the business.

But everyone is always free to disagree.

Bu to call his very educated opinions moronic, I would suggest, is a bit of overkill.
post #49673 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Club Gold

TV Notes
Fox cancels 'Past Life'

By James Hibberd in the The Hollywood Reporter LiveFeed blog, February 19, 2010

Reincarnation crime drama "Past Life" isn't coming back -- at least, not to Thursdays.

Fox is yanking struggling and widely panned series after last night's fourth-place performance, where it drew a 1.1 preliminary rating among adults 18-49. Instead, Fox will air three weeks of original episodes of "Kitchen Nightmares" in the slot (with "Nightmares" also continuing to air on Friday nights). "Bones" and "Fringe" repeats will take over March 18, with originals returning April 1.

Fox says the remaining episodes of "Past Life" will be burned off sometime later this season.

http://www.thrfeed.com/
post #49674 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:

Another Cable Helping for Food Lovers
The Cooking Channel, which is a replacement for Fine Living Network, FLN, a low-rated lifestyle channel, was announced last fall.

FLN is where Three Sheets wound up after MOJO went away. I wonder if Zane will get to continue when it becomes the Cooking Channel?

TiVo Bolt 500, TiVo Roamio Pro, 8 TiVo Minis, Cox Cable
post #49675 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there really enough of an audience for two cooking channels?
post #49676 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 AM
DTN

Quote:

Very, very, impressive work, DTN!

I hope you have emailed Hibberd (who is a responsible and reasonable reporter) as well as Flint.

I am not sure you have brought me totally on board, (that 4.43 viewers per household is hard for me to swallow) but your research is very, very impressive, to say the least.

Thank so much for sharing it with us.

You are welcome Fred. Until you are totally on board, I shall keep up my digging back to as much original source material as I can get my hands on.

When I get around to it, I shall send a note to both journalists; if you have a link to them, please forward my note to them at my behest.

I published my response here not to call into question either journalist but to provide food for thought (and a tight little case-study for any Professor of audience measurement), and perhaps prompt a few industry-connected types in audience research at the networks or on Madison Avenue to dig a little deeper into those dusty old files archived off in New Jersey.

I completely stand by my earlier praise and commendation of Mr. Hibberd for his scoop in The Hollywood Reporter reporting on this story; I have followed Mr. Hibberd's word faithfully at THR, as well as not too long ago when he was the voice of truth and seasoned perspective at tvweek.com. My contrary and dissenting points are offered only because I had more research at my fingertips, and I'm sure he would appreciate my facts-are-friendly counterpoints.

As for Mr. Flint, I hope he'll forgive my being facetious in taking issue with his report, which was likely based entirely on press release information given to him. I'm sure even Mr. Alda was unaware of 'Cinderella's greater viewership; Mr. Alda is above all a gentleman, and if he'd known the facts, I'm certain he'd have given Mr. Flint the direct line to call Miss Andrews for her comments on his story.
post #49677 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder View Post

Actually it's Julia Mancuso and I agree with you.

Yes very hot I agree where has she been all my life
post #49678 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Tiger should apologize to his wife and tell everyone else to go pound sand. He's gotta start looking for new endorsements anyway.

At least he still has EA.

The software publisher did announce a Tiger Woods 11 is coming to game systems later this year, including possible new golf club add-ons (I assume for the Wii edition & perhaps Natal & the PS3 "wiimote" as well).

If you love golf games, TW10 on the Wii is the S**T! You will never want to play a TW game w/ analog sticks again (or Wii Sports golf for that matter). Random strippers & jilted Nordic wives, however, are not unlockables in the game.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #49679 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverobertson View Post

Yes very hot I agree where has she been all my life

Skiing up at Lake Tahoe probably.
post #49680 of 100746 Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3183 Post(s)
Liked: 2757
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by URFloorMatt View Post

Halfway through Tiger's statement (after the 'main' camera went dark and they switched to the over-the-shoulder cam) I switched to Univision and Telemundo just for the heck of it. Yep, they both carried Tiger's statement with a Spanish translator. Herd mentality anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page