Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 3355 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1306Likes

post #100621 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 36
One can only imagine what the price will be.. $29.99 for a game? lol - I wouldn't be surprised... can't see many takers for that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
NFL item. Bills/Jaguars game in London (week 7) will be shown world-wide only on digital platforms. Locally in Buffalo and Jacksonville. Not even Sunday Ticket will show it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #100622 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 05:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5945 Post(s)
Liked: 6546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim tressler View Post
One can only imagine what the price will be.. $29.99 for a game? lol - I wouldn't be surprised... can't see many takers for that!

I don't know that there would be many takers for that one [Bills/Jags] if it were broadcast free on a broadcast network.
DrDon likes this.
post #100623 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 2426
Pay?? For a Jags game??? ROFL!!!
joblo likes this.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #100624 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdinger70 View Post
Why does this thread (and seemingly only this thread) have posting problems?
Look at the post count. dad and I are working on starting a new thread since the huge size of this one is giving the server fits.
Nayan likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #100625 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Pay?? For a Jags game??? ROFL!!!
Its a Jag/Bill game on at 9:30 AM eastern, thats 6:30AM on the west coast. Almost certainly a low ratings game. I think the NFL is using this as a sort of feasibility and technical test. I bet that it'll be free, or at most a dollar. Any takers?
post #100626 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 2426
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Its a Jag/Bill game on at 9:30 AM eastern, thats 6:30AM on the west coast. Almost certainly a low ratings game. I think the NFL is using this as a sort of feasibility and technical test. I bet that it'll be free, or at most a dollar. Any takers?
I know it's an early game and last year's was a big thing in my house, with full on breakfast and mimosa's with my friends. I too think it's a test and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. And of course I'll be up to watch, because breakfast and mimosa's .

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #100627 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 11:46 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8985 Post(s)
Liked: 5759
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Look at the post count. dad and I are working on starting a new thread since the huge size of this one is giving the server fits.

But the old thread had over 25,000 posts. 2.5 times as many as the current thread.

EDIT: Whoops! I guess I looked at it wrong. I was off by an order of magnitude. It's 100K posts for the current thread. Wow!!

53TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 03-24-2015 at 11:57 AM.
post #100628 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked: 4101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But the old thread had over 25,000 posts. 2.5 times as many as the current thread.

EDIT: Whoops! I guess I looked at it worng. I was off by an order of magnitude. It's 100K posts for the current thread. Wow!!
LOL. And I had a public-school-math joke all ready to throw at you.
Nayan likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #100629 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 12:32 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3081 Post(s)
Liked: 2567
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Mar. 24, 2015

ALAN ARKIN: LIVE FROM THE TCM CLASSIC FILM FESTIVAL
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

What a nice evening. Alan Arkin is saluted tonight, first with an interview conducted specifically for TCM at their annual film festival, and then with a generous roster of his films. The interview starts at 8 p.m. ET, followed at 9 by the 1979 comedy The In-Laws, in which Arkin co-stars with Peter Falk. Other films follow, including one early thriller well worth recording and saving for later: 1967’s Wait Until Dark, in which he plays a very bad guy terrorizing a blind young woman, played by Audrey Hepburn.

JAMES BAKER: THE MAN WHO MADE WASHINGTON WORK
PBS, 8:30 p.m.

This new documentary profile looks at the career, and political tactics, of James Baker, who worked for several U.S. Presidents – running President Gerald Ford’s re-election campaign, serving as chief of staff (among other posts) for both Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, and even serving as chief legal counsel to George W. Bush during the 2000 election recount. Though Baker served on the Republican side, the title of this study suggests and recalls an era, apparently a distant memory already, in which opposing sides of Congress managed to get along, and get things accomplished. Check local listings.

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
ABC, 9:00 p.m. ET

Even more intrigue and distrust surfaces this week, as Agent 33, who still has the face of Agent Melinda May (well, most of her face, anyway), makes another appearance. Other agents, meanwhile, prove just as two-faced, as dynamics and allegiances are tested, and betrayed, once again.

IZOMBIE
CW, 9:00 p.m. ET

Rose McIver continues her star turn as the likable, well-meaning, brain-eating zombie in this clever new twist on the genre. What this new series established last week is that the undead heroine Liv, as she munches on the brains of cadavers in the morgue, temporarily absorbs their memories, skills and even some of their emotions. And this week, her new dietary organ donor gives her an unexpected case of heightened libido. I guess, even when you’re a zombie, it’s true: You are what you eat…

JUSTIFIED
FX, 10:00 p.m. ET

Tonight’s episode is titled “Trust” – and there’s not much of it between two of this week’s featured bad-boy backwoods characters. Walton Goggins’ Boyd Crowder and Mykelti Williamson’s Ellstin Limehouse don’t have much use for one another – or, at least, haven’t up to now. But with only a few episodes remaining in this great series, there’s no telling how things are going to end up, much less who is going to end up standing.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/
post #100630 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 PM

MONDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insights' Blog.
post #100631 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 PM

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
NBC’s ‘Night Shift’ grows to a series high
Posts a 1.6 in 18-49s, up 23 percent, with a big boost from 'Voice'
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Mar. 24, 2015

NBC’s “The Night Shift” is benefiting from airing behind the network’s top entertainment show.

“Shift” jumped to a series-high 1.6 adults 18-49 rating last night at 10 p.m., according to Nielsen overnights, growing 23 percent from last week.

The program’s previous high was 1.5.

Of course, the show got a big boost from lead-in “The Voice,” easily the night’s top program with a 3.3 from 8 to 10 p.m.

“Voice” was off a tenth from last week.

ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars” and CBS’s “Scorpion” tied as the night’s No. 2 shows, both with a 2.0. “Dancing” was even to last week’s fast affiliate number, and “Scorpion” was flat to its most recent original episode two weeks ago.

CBS’s “2 Broke Girls” and “Mike & Molly” both declined 10 percent from their most recent episodes, to a 1.9 and 1.8, respectively.

Fox’s “The Following” rebounded slightly from tying a series low last week. Back-to-back episodes starting at 8 p.m. posted 1.2 apiece, up a tenth from last week.

Top show of the night in 18-49s:
NBC’s “The Voice,” 3.3 rating from 8-10 p.m.

Top show of the night in 25-54s: NBC’s “The Voice,” 4.2 rating from 8-10 p.m.

Top show of the night in total viewers: ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars,” 13.68 million from 8-10 p.m.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/nbc...a-series-high/

TV/Nielsen Notes
Making the case for ‘The Mindy Project’
Show draws low ratings but other factors argue for its renewal
By Louisa Ada Seltzer, Media Life Magazine - Mar. 24, 2015

It used to be so simple to figure out if a show was going to be renewed.

You looked at the ratings and, bam, if they were below a certain threshold, there’s no way the show was coming back.

But times have changed, and now programs such as “The Mindy Project,” which airs its third-season finale tonight at 9:30 p.m. on Fox, have a legitimate chance of returning despite downright dismal ratings.

“Mindy” has averaged a 1.1 adults 18-49 live-plus-same-day-DVR-playback Nielsen rating this season, including a mere 0.9 for last week’s penultimate episode.

Yet “Mindy” could still be renewed, and for three main reasons.

First, it has a strong digital presence. It’s popular on Hulu and Fox.com. While that’s not as important as live ratings, Fox can still sell that audience.

Second, it has critical cachet, something Fox has embraced in recent years with its comedies. While many of its new dramas have struggled, the network has a soft spot for smart live-action comedies.

And finally, the network simply needs content. Its comedy development has been weak the past few years, with only “Brooklyn Nine-Nine” and “Last Man on Earth” showing any promise.

Though the network could certainly cancel “Mindy” in hopes of finding something that draws better ratings, it’s safer to stay with a low-rated but critically adored veteran.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/mak...mindy-project/
post #100632 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM

Nielsen Overnights
James Corden’s ‘Late Late Show’ Debut Opens With 1.66 Million Tuned In
By Lisa de Moraes, Deadline.com - Mar. 24, 2015

James Corden’s unveiling as new host of CBS’s Late Late Show delivered 1.66 million viewers, according to preliminary figures – the franchise’s largest audience since November 14 of 2011 – as well as a 0.4 in adults 18-49, 0.5 in adults 25-54 and 0.2 in adults 18-34.

That’s a stretch from the number clocked by Late Late Show’s previous host Craig Ferguson, whose debut on January 3, 2005, clocked in at 2.1 million total viewers when the dust had settled.

CBS preferred to note that, compared to the September-December averages, Corden’s debut was up 13% in viewers (from 1.47 million), up 33% in adults 18-49 (from 0.3), up 25% in adults 25-54 (from 0.4) and even in adults 18-34. And, compared to the same night last year, Corden improved by 22% in viewers (from 1.36 million) and even in adults 25-54, adults 18-49 and adults 18-34.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/james-co...ut-1201397519/
post #100633 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:01 PM

TV Notes
‘Kevin From Work’ Gets Series Order as ABC Family Expands Comedy Slate
By Elizabeth Wagmeister, Variety.com - Mar. 24, 2015

ABC Family has ordered workplace comedy “Kevin From Work” to series, set to premiere this summer. The pickup is a step in the cabler’s expansion into more original scripted comedy.

“Kevin From Work” follows Kevin (played by Noah Reid, pictured with Paige Spara), a young man who professes his love to a co-worker Audrey (Spara) in a letter, before accepting another job overseas, thinking he’ll never see her again. When the new offer is rescinded, Kevin has to continue working with Audrey, despite her knowing his true feelings.

“Single camera represents the evolution of our comedy brand,“ Karey Burke, exec VP of programming and development at ABC Family, commented Tuesday. “‘Kevin From Work’ is an endearingly awkward love story — this time from the guy’s point of view.”

The half-hour laffer comes from Barbie Adler (“How I Met Your Mother”), who penned the pilot and will serve as writer on the series. Adler will exec produce with Aaron Kaplan of Kapital Entertainment (“Chasing Life,” “The Mysteries of Laura,” “Secrets & Lies”) and McG of Wonderland Sound & Vision (“Charlie’s Angels,” “The O.C.”). McG directed the pilot and will direct several episodes of the series.

The cast is rounded out by Matt Murray (“Rookie Blue”), Jordan Hinson (“Eureka”), Punam Patel (Second City, Chicago) and guest star Amy Sedaris.

“Kevin From Work” is one of two comedy pilots that were ordered earlier this year at ABC Family. The pilot for “Tough Cookie,” from “Awkward” creator Lauren Iungerich, went into production this January. The project has not yet been greenlit to series.

Also on the cable net’s comedy lineup, freshman series “Young & Hungry” returns for season two this spring, while “Baby Daddy” was renewed for season five.

“Kevin From Work” begins production in June.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/kevi...ly-1201459089/
post #100634 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:03 PM

TV Notes
Official: X-Files returning to Fox for 6 episodes
By James Hibberd, EW.com - Mar. 24, 2015

The truth is right here, and it’s amazing: After 13 years off the air, The X-Files is officially returning to Fox as a limited series.

Stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are back on board, along with creator Chris Carter.

“I think of it as a 13-year commercial break,” Carter said. “The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories.”

The only part of this huge news you might not like: There are only six episodes planned.

“We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn’t be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again,” said Dana Walden and Gary Newman, Chairmen and CEOs of Fox Television Group. “The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as The X-Files, and we’re ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they’ve been waiting for.”

The sci-fi procedural classic first premiered in 1993. It became one of Fox’s first major breakout hits and a pop-culture sensation that went on to last nine seasons and spawn two feature films. The show also earned 16 Emmys and helped pave the way for other prime-time sci-fi shows like ABC’s Lost and Fox’s Fringe. Once again, the series will follow FBI special agents Scully (Anderson) and Mulder (Duchovny) as they investigate unexplained cases.

Carter’s “six stories” comment seems to suggest the series will embrace the show’s original format of focusing on stand-alone mysteries rather than delving into the serialized alien conspiracy mythology that dominated some of the show’s episodes and its first feature film (at least, that’s what I want to believe).

The move follows Fox reviving another one of its hits, 24, for a shortened run last year. The X-Files deal has been in the works since at least January when executives told reporters at the network’s press tour presentation that they were trying to revive the show.

The X-Files will start production this summer. There’s no premiere date yet, and no word if other cast members from the original series will return.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/24/x-files-return
post #100635 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:10 PM

TV Review/Critic's Notes
Justified’s Unexpected Social Commentary Propels the Show to TV’s Elite Ranks
By Matt Zoller Seitz, Vulture.com (New York Magazine) - Mar. 24, 2015

With just a few episodes to go, Justified seems poised to join the elite ranks of dramas that went out on a high note; like a handful of other memorable crime dramas, including The Shield and Breaking Bad, it has spent its final season (its sixth) honing its themes and deepening the main characters, bringing back supporting players (including a dead one who appeared as a ghost) for on-point cameos, and casting a retroactive light over the whole saga. And yet it’s doing all this without sacrificing the no-fuss quality that made the show’s literary forefather, the late Elmore Leonard, such a joy to read. It has every right to be full of itself, but it never is. Like its hero, Raylan Givens (Timothy Olyphant), it moves with a sense of purpose even when it’s moseying along.

As always, the show blends Western- and gangster-movie tropes so deftly that it’s hard to tell where one picks up and the other leaves off. The main story is a land grab by the gangster Avery Markham (Sam Elliott), who wants to install himself as the master power broker of Harlan County, Kentucky, with his former flame Katherine Hale (Mary Steenburgen) by his side. Avery’s rivalry with the county’s resident would-be kingpin, Boyd Crowder (Walton Goggins), who’s plotted to liberate $10 million in cash from a vault in Avery’s pizza parlor, echoes traditional urban potboilers about criminal gangs fighting for supremacy, with the brutal and sarcastic Raylan and his U.S. Marshals colleagues handling the cop side of the cops-and-robbers equation. There are criminal informants — first Boyd’s fiancée, Ava (Joelle Carter), then all-around fixer Wynn Duffy (Jere Burns) — and colorful henchmen, some scarily eloquent (Garret Dillahunt’s Ty Walker), others endearingly dumb (Duke Davis Roberts’s Choo-Choo, a shambling giant with a freight-train knockout punch). But the boots and Stetsons and bolo ties and drawling put-downs and chaotic woodland gunfights keep the whole thing situated in the American Western’s head space. So does the constant talk of escaping the past and reinventing oneself, a desire expressed at various points by Raylan, Boyd, Ava, even Avery and Katherine, who are bonded by a tragedy that drove Avery underground and claimed the life of his former partner, Katherine’s husband. “The past and the future are a fight to the death,” says Ava, who loves Boyd and wishes she could stay with him but is scared of his selfishness and brutal temper. Intimations of classic literature keep sneaking in as well, including references to Shakespeare (Avery and Katherine are whacking enemies like a couple of cornpone Macbeths) and Herman Melville. At one point, Raylan taunts Boyd, his principal quarry, that they’re characters in “one of those classic stories where the hero gets his man, then he rides off into the sunset,” and Boyd warns that the obsessive lawman might actually be the hero of “that other classic, where a guy chases a whale to the ends of the Earth till he drowns for his troubles.”

Everyone on this show has trouble letting go of the past in some form: a past dream, a past love, a lifelong fantasy. “Doing what a man’s gotta do” fuses with its crime-thriller mirror, “Just one last big score.” Raylan’s boss, Art Mullen (Nick Searcy), warns Raylan that there’s always one more snake to kill, and if he insists on finding new ones, he’ll never settle down with his family; Ava fruitlessly urges Boyd to give up his desire for the $10 million in Avery’s vault and just pick up and leave town with her and start over somewhere new. It’s a compulsion, perhaps an addiction, embedded deep within the American mind — a concept suggested in a throwaway moment at a party announcing Avery as the town’s would-be new boss, at which Raylan picks up a tumbler of bourbon, then pushes it away, then picks it up again moments later and downs it.

But the deeper struggle in season six is the struggle for the soul of Harlan County — and it’s here that the show’s Western- and gangster-film mythologies subtly blend to create something that is, for Justified, quite unexpected: social commentary. There’s a low-level sense of continual upheaval: The world is changing, but the people are unwilling or unable to change with it. The characters are intoxicated by nostalgia and legend, but the show itself sees through them, even though its constant invocation of Kentucky’s past as a mining economy and the loving shots of dilapidated shacks and covered bridges suggest otherwise. Modernity is growing over tradition like kudzu, and from the very start, Justified has been hip to this process. The show’s main theme, “Long Hard Times to Come,” by Gangstagrass and T.O.N.E-z, lays rap over hip-hop backbeats over bluegrass guitar and banjo. Raylan wears a Stetson and is known for his quick draw, but he communicates with his girlfriend and their child via Skype and conducts most of his important business via cell phone, and when he teases a young wannabe gunfighter named Boon (Jonathan Tucker) by invoking John Wayne, the kid blankly says, “I don’t know who that is.” “He was a movie cowboy,” Raylan replies.

If any trace of Harlan’s authentic identity is to be preserved, locals will have to do the preserving. And that’s where Loretta McCready (Kaitlyn Dever), the onetime ward of the late Harlan weed dealer Mags Bennett (Margo Martindale), comes in. Avery repeatedly tries to terrorize her into selling her land, and she enters the fray to start her own marijuana empire, using Boyd’s gang as her security force. The intent is not just to make money but to keep it in the community and help her neighbors hold on to land that’s been in their families for generations. That’s the only way to preserve and extend what remains of tradition and keep the past alive. Loretta couldn’t be more different from Avery and Katherine, two carpetbagger capitalists looking to strip-mine Harlan’s economy without becoming a part of it. (They don’t even own homes there; they live out of luxury-hotel rooms.) Calling Katherine a “city mouse-ette,” Loretta urges her neighbors, “I will give you cash for your land, just like Markham, but the difference is, I don’t want to move you guys out … Throw in with me, we’ll make Harlan prosperous our own selves. Give this county back to the people the way we all know it should be.” This is not what most people mean when they use the phrase “grassroots capitalism,” but it’s the most perfect plot twist on a series filled with them. And it slyly positions Loretta as spiritual kin to the show’s many hard-charging macho sheriff and outlaw types. She won’t sell, won’t cut, won’t run. She’s doing what a woman’s gotta do.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/03/tv-re...al-season.html
post #100636 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM

TV Notes
Showtime Orders Paul Giamatti, Damian Lewis Drama ‘Billions’ to Series
By L.A. Ross, TheWrap.com - Mar. 24, 2015

Showtime has picked up Wall Street drama “Billions,” starring Paul Giamatti and “Homeland” alum Damian Lewis for 12 episodes.

The series, described as a complex and contemporary drama about power politics in the New York world of high finance, is written and executive produced by Brian Koppelman and David Levien (“Ocean’s Thirteen,” “Rounders”).

Andrew Ross Sorkin, author of “Too Big To Fail,” which served as inspiration for the eponymous HBO film, also writes and executive produces.

“The dynamic star pairing of Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis is matched by an equally exciting team in the writing of this show,” Showtime President David Nevins said in a statement.

“Andrew Ross Sorkin, one of the preeminent financial journalists of our time, has joined forces with Brian Koppelman and David Levien, two of Hollywood’s most accomplished screenwriters, to tackle an incredibly timely and buzzy subject,” Nevins added. “With this caliber of writing and acting, I think the show’s authenticity and insider look will have great appeal to a discerning audience.”

“Billions” is set to film in New York later this year and is slated for a 2016 premiere.

Giamatti and Lewis are joined by Maggie Siff, Malin Akerman, Toby Leonard Moore, David Costabile and Condola Rashad. The pilot was directed by “Divergent” director Neil Burger, who also serves as an executive producer.

http://www.thewrap.com/showtime-orde...ons-to-series/
post #100637 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:22 PM

TV Notes
Connie Britton Will Play Faye Resnick In Ryan Murphy's O.J. Simpson Miniseries
By Erin Whitney, HuffingtonPost.com - Mar. 23, 2015

Connie Britton is returning to the Ryan Murphy universe, but not for "American Horror Story" this time.

On Monday, Murphy announced via Twitter that Britton will join his upcoming FX miniseries "American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson." The "American Horror Story: Murder House" actress will portray Faye Resnick, who was a friend of Nicole Brown's and was staying in her condo days before Brown was murdered. During O.J. Simpson's trial, the former football star's defense team claimed that Brown and Ronald Goldman were murdered by drug dealers to whom Resnick alledgedly owned money.

Ryan Murphy ✔ @MrR PMurphy
Follow
Excited to announce my friend Connie Britton will play Faye Resnick in the upcoming FX miniseries The People v. O.J. Simpson.
1:01 PM - 23 Mar 2015

The 10-episode miniseries, based on Jeffrey Toobin's book, The Run of His Life: The People v. O.J. Simpson, will follow the real-life 1995 murder trial of Simpson. Britton joins Cuba Gooding Jr., who will portray Simpson, Sarah Paulson as head prosecutor Marcia Clark and David Schwimmer as Robert Kardashian.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...p_ref=tv&ir=TV
post #100638 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:33 PM

TV/Washington Notes
Radio and TV Martí, U.S. Broadcasters for Cuba, Face New Obstacles
By Lisette Alvarez, The New York Times - Mar. 24, 2015

MIAMI — The rat-a-tat Cuban-inflected Spanish of the two Radio Martí hosts ricocheted back and forth during “Revoltillo,” a show laced with humor that airs classified ads posted in Cuba on a Craigslist-style website called Revolico.

Recorded here but aimed at an audience in Cuba, where Internet access is severely limited and the local news media are tightly controlled and censored, the show presents snippets of life on the island, like examples of the recently unleashed zeal for private enterprise. So one of the hosts, as part of an effort to bolster Cuba’s fledgling independent businesses, recently promoted “Hilda in Havana,” who is offering desserts and decorations for events and restaurants. Next up was a listing from a Havana man peddling his churro cart.

Down the hall, employees burned DVDs with news and features about Cuba, often reported by journalists in Cuba: housing travails, the latest small-business ventures (public bathrooms in private homes, 25 cents for a quick stop, 50 cents for longer visits), dissident detentions, how to find the rare Wi-Fi hot spots.

Every month, nearly 15,000 DVDs are distributed in Cuba and circulated through flash drives, an end-run around Cuba’s knack for jamming Martí television and radio signals. The goal, as always, is for the Martís, operations of the United States government, to provide news and information about Cuba to Cubans without Cuban censorship.

But three decades after becoming a Cold War staple — regularly criticized for anti-Castro, one-dimensional slant and advocacy — Radio and TV Martí are at a crossroads, scrambling to stay relevant as the relationship between Cuba and the United States inches toward a thaw.

At their headquarters in Miami, the Martís try to keep pace with changing technology and habits on the island, greater competition and the longstanding concerns of federal watchdogs.

Their biggest challenge, as always, remains not just enticing Cubans with better programming, particularly at a time when there are better offerings; Cubans now use flash drives that are loaded with television shows and movies from satellite dishes and sold on the black market. Another obstacle is that Radio and TV Martí are illegal and often blocked on the island.

“The decision about what to do should not be based on diplomatic relations but on the lack of a free flow of information into Cuba — and that has not changed,” said Carlos A. García-Pérez, the director of the Office of Cuba Broadcasting, which is part of an independent federal agency that oversees Radio and TV Martí. “Our work is even more important now.”

No one disputes the success of the Martís in one respect: angering the Castro brothers, who have long viewed the transmissions as violations of international norms. In January, President Raúl Castro called for an end to the Martís as a condition for normalizing relations with the United States.

“The one thing that has kept it alive with policy makers is the absolute antagonism of the Cuban regime for this broadcasting venture,” said Helle C. Dale, who has studied the Martís for the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank.

But the Martís, with a budget of $27 million, have critics that include former American diplomats in Cuba. Opponents have long considered them taxpayer-funded relics controlled by Cuban exiles that too often slide into propaganda, which has damaged their credibility in the past.

The Cuban American National Foundation, a once-monolithic lobbying group of Cuban exiles, helped persuade the Reagan administration to establish Radio Martí in 1983. It started broadcasting in 1985, and TV Martí began in 1990. The foundation’s influence over the Martís remains strong, experts said.

Through the years, reports by congressional staff members and federal agencies, like the Inspector General for the State Department, have delivered stinging assessments; the most recent report came last summer. They have accused the Martís of “a lack of balance, fairness and objectivity,” of cronyism, malfeasance and, most recently, low employee morale. A frequent source of displeasure was the millions spent until recently on an aerostat balloon and a plane to try to transmit TV signals to Cuba. The project was a failure.

“There have only been costs, and zero benefits,” said John S. Nichols, a specialist in international communications at Penn State University who has studied the Martís. “And it became a flash point that caused some serious problems in the U.S.-Cuba relationship.”

In Congress, where the Martís have champions and detractors, Representative Betty McCollum, Democrat of Minnesota, reintroduced legislation this year to eliminate them.

While Obama administration officials support the Martís, they are eager to cut the Office of Cuba Broadcasting loose from the federal mantle.

In its budget for next year, the administration proposed consolidating the Office of Cuba Broadcasting and Voice of America’s Spanish-language programs, turning them into a nonprofit. The organization would be funded by federal grants, with federal oversight, but would not be part of the government. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, which gained prominence during the Soviet era and served as the model for the Martís, has long operated this way, as a “grantee.”

Supporters said the change would make the Martís more flexible. But Cuban-American lawmakers in Congress say the shift would weaken the government’s commitment to the broadcasts.

“Its mission must remain true to its principles from when it was founded by President Ronald Reagan in 1983 and to its aim at promoting freedom and democracy,” said Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, a Miami Republican.

Still, there is little danger that the Martís will lose funding altogether. “It is more important now than ever, especially as you get to this openness stage,” said Michael P. Meehan, a Democrat who until recently served as a member of the Broadcasting Board of Governors, the federal agency that oversees the Martís.

At the Martí headquarters, Mr. García-Pérez, who took over in 2010, said he had focused on diversifying coverage of Cuba and ramping up a Martí website. Most important, he said, is that the Martís are bringing more Cubans into the conversation through video, articles, texts, blogs and social media. Last year, Martí’s website drew 3.9 million visits, almost half from outside the United States.

Another goal was to lift journalistic standards, he said, particularly an attempt to offer more diverse views of Cuban life and United States foreign policy. Reporters now call the Cuban government to get its response for certain stories. There are still slips. In a 2012 Martí editorial, Mr. García-Pérez, speaking for the American government, called the cardinal in Cuba, Jaime Ortega, a “government lackey.” Mr. García-Pérez said he did not regret the word choice, which drew sharp criticism from some members of Congress.

The Martís also have expanded their cadre of journalists in Cuba who file videos and articles, with their names made public at great risk. Some of those interviewed by the reporters are also identified, a sign of diminishing fear. Citizens can post their own blogs and news items through features like “Reporta Cuba,” which often spreads news of detentions.

And Piramideo, a separate social network created by the Martís, allows Cubans to use cellphones or email accounts to gain access to a site that circumvents government restrictions. From there, they can send messages to hundreds of Cubans in Cuba about nearly anything.

How many people can receive or choose to pay attention to the Martís is unclear. Satellite dishes have made the Martís more available to Cubans, Mr. García-Pérez said. Past surveys have indicated that the overall audience is tiny — as low as 2 percent of the island’s population, although measuring audience size in Cuba is nearly impossible. Mr. García-Pérez said he knows that Cubans look and listen because they send email, text and call in to the programs and reporters.

In Miami, where gothic power struggles among exiles over the Martís still play out, there is some skepticism about the rush into digital communications at the expense of broadcast radio. Radio can evade jams more readily, and it is the most effective way to reach Cubans. Too much emphasis on digital media may doom the Martís, some say, because the vast majority of Cubans lack Internet access at home.

“In Cuba, there are no new platforms because in Cuba there is practically no Internet; that is not the way to penetrate,” said Roberto Rodríguez Tejera, director of Radio Martí during the Clinton administration. “It’s not the present; it’s not even the near future.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/25/us...ref=media&_r=0
post #100639 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 PM

Washington/Legal Notes
FCC sued over net neutrality rules
By Mike Snider, USA Today - Mar. 24, 2015

A telecom trade group and a Texas-based broadband provider have sued the Federal Communications Commission charging that it exceeded its authority in establishing net neutrality rules.

In separate filings in different districts of the U.S. Court of Appeals, USTelecom and Alamo Broadband asked that the rules be set aside because the agency acted beyond its authority. The net neutrality order, passed in a 3-2 vote by the FCC last month, is "arbitrary, capricious, and an abuse of discretion," the suits said.

AT&T and Verizon are among the members of the telecom broadband group. Alamo delivers fixed wireless broadband service in the San Antonio, Tex. area.

Legal action had been expected against the rules, which the FCC made public about two weeks ago. They do not go into effect until 60 days after they appear in the Federal Register, which hasn't happened yet.

Both suits do include statements that their challenges may be premature and are issued "out of an abundance of caution."

In a statement, the FCC acknowledged that it was "served today with two challenges to the Open Internet Order. We believe that the petitions for review filed today are premature and subject to dismissal."

It's no surprise the filings came as soon as they did, said Matt Wood, policy director for Free Press, an awareness group that supported the FCC's rules. "These companies have threatened all along to sue over the FCC's decision, even though that decision is supported by millions of people and absolutely essential for our economy," he said in a statement. "Apparently some of them couldn't wait to make good on that threat."

However, Wood thinks the FCC's basis for its action on net neutrality is "rock-solid."

The FCC cites its authority for the new rules in Title II of the Communications Act of 1934. However, the agency will "forbear" — or refrain — from using some of those provisions including pricing regulation and other parts that are less relevant to broadband services.

The agency recrafted new rules to address net neutrality, also called open Internet, because its previous 2010 order was tossed out of court in 2014 after a legal challenge by Verizon. The rules prohibit Internet service providers (ISPs), mostly large cable or telephone companies, from blocking or slowing transmission speeds of some content and from seeking payments in exchange for faster delivery, a practice called "paid prioritization."

At the Feb. 26 meeting during which the commission passed the rules, FCC chairman Tom Wheeler said, "the Internet is too important to allow broadband providers to make the rules."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...suit/70350070/
post #100640 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Nah, I think I'd want at least $10 for my time on that one.
Nayan likes this.
post #100641 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:42 PM

Nielsen Notes
How cable ratings stack up to broadcast
Eight of the top 25 shows in viewers 12-34 and 18-34 air on cable
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Mar. 24, 2015

Media buyers and planners are always curious to see how cable and broadcast shows compare against each other.

And the latest numbers suggest the lines between cable and broadcast continue to fade for younger viewers, especially Millennials.

Nearly a third of the top shows among viewers 12-34 and 18-34 air on cable.

Of course, AMC’s “The Walking Dead” has been pacing ahead of broadcast’s top shows for quite some time. But other cable shows are creeping up.

During the week ended March 15, eight of the top 25 programs among 12-34s were on cable, based on Nielsen live-plus-three-day-DVR-playback.

“Dead” was on top with an 8.3 rating, and the drama’s post-episode talk show, “Talking Dead,” ranked fifth with a 2.7.

In fact, AMC had three programs in the top 15, with “Better Call Saul” ranking 15th.

E!’s “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” ranked 12th with a 2.1.

And eight of the top 25 in 18-34s were cable programs as well. In addition to the three AMC shows and “Kardashians,” VH1’s “Love and Hip Hop” ranked in the top 20.

Interestingly, among slightly older viewers, adults 18-49s, the line between cable and broadcast remains a bit more visible. Only three cable shows rank in the top 25. Actually, just three rank in the top 39.

The reason may be that the younger generation has grown up at a time when cable and broadcast are becoming indistinguishable.

Cable has gained a wider audience over the past decade, with higher-quality content and greater distribution.

But even slightly older viewers are still more likely to stick to broadcast. They’re not as comfortable with the wider range of channels and tend to favor more traditional content.

While 18-49s are certainly more likely to surf to cable than older demos, when compared to younger ones, they’re fairly traditional.

[CLICK LINK BELOW TO SEE CHARTS]

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/how...-to-broadcast/
post #100642 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM

TV Notes
Jerry Maguire-Inspired Docuseries ‘The Agent’ To Debut On Esquire
By Erik Pedersen, Deadline.com - Mar. 24, 2015

It’s been nearly two decades since Jerry Maguire wrote that infamous mission statement that got him canned. Now Esquire Network is returning to the world of cutthroat pro football reps with The Agent, a 10-episode documentary series set to kick off in July.

With exclusive access beginning last fall, the series chronicles the journey leading up to the NFL 2015 draft: the relentless ambition, ruthless pressure and high stakes of the pursuit to secure that top pick. Some call it the hustle and grind, but it’s all about survival.

Starting in September, producers were given exclusive access to chronicle the journey of four agents — Jeff Guerriero, Peter Schaffer, Sunny Shah and Ed Wasielewski — leading up to the 2015 NFL draft. From contract negotiations, endorsement deals, recruiting, private clubs and training to meetings with scouts and veteran players in the NFL, viewers will get a rare look at the behind-the-scenes business dealings as the agents try to secure that top pick.

The Agent is executive produced by Mark Herzog and Christopher G. Cowen (CNN’s The Sixties) along with Vincent DiPersio and Josh Mamann. Mamann’s Media Verite originated the idea and he and DiPersio are repped by APA.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/esquire-...tv-1201397552/
post #100643 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Washington/Legal Notes
FCC sued over net neutrality rules
As a public service, I will provide a quick summary of the cable and wireless companies' argument against net neutrality.

"Content discrimination is so fun and profitable! This isn't fair! Bawww!"

Fin.

dturturro and drkashner like this.
post #100644 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
As a public service, I will provide a quick summary of the cable and wireless companies' argument against net neutrality.

"Content discrimination is so fun and profitable! This isn't fair! Bawww!"

Or maybe their argument is the same people who can't build a functional ACA website after spending a $1B shouldn't put their people (who can't be fired for incompetence) in charge of the Internet.
JoeTiVo, mnetop and ozark like this.
post #100645 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
That's apples and oranges, especially considering the FCC is not going to be building websites or anything of the sort. They aren't even going to be regulating rates. Mandating fair treatment of all legal Internet traffic and being able to penalise ISPs which violate that notion is a far cry from being "in charge" of the Internet.

The people who generate content are "in charge" of the Internet, and the whole point of the rules is to keep it that way, rather than letting ISPs be in charge of the Internet by being able to select which content people can access and which content they can't access.
Matt L, archiguy, Keenan and 4 others like this.
post #100646 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
... because breakfast and mimosa's .
Most Cruel! It's day 5 here: a wee bit of a rough morning ... and I'm running out of coffee. As they say, dying is easy, "comedy" is hard. ... Stay tuned???

PS: On the plus side: "Still breathing."
Nayan likes this.

Last edited by HDTVChallenged; 03-24-2015 at 03:05 PM.
post #100647 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 05:09 PM

TV/Technology Notes
Why Cable TV Beats the Internet, For Now
By Geoffrey A. Fowler, Wall Street Journal's 'Personal Technology' Column - Mar. 24, 2015

Are you ready to cut cable?

Probably not—yet.

That pains me to say, both as tech columnist and someone who watches enough TV to own a Snuggie. Many of us are rooting for the Internet to upend our indecent cable bills. Surely Silicon Valley’s brightest can figure out a better way to get us the stuff we want to watch. Why are we still paying cable for a “live” channel of back-to-back “Bewitched” reruns?

But after reviewing pretty much every available Internet TV service, streaming box and smart TV, I’ve yet to find a replacement that covers all the TV bases while costing less. Instead, I recommend “shaving down” your cable-and-broadband subscription and supplementing it with streaming services such as Hulu, Amazon and Netflix until this all shakes out.

There are reasons to be hopeful. I believe 2015 is the year the Internet becomes a serious alternative to cable. The PlayStation Vue service that made its debut last week breaks new ground by streaming big networks—if you’ve got Sony’s game console.

Cord-cutting is already a phenomenon among early adopters or people with narrow TV needs. But completely saying goodbye to cable doesn’t add up yet for the rest of us. Here are the four big reasons:

1) You need fast, affordable Internet…from guess who!

Getting TV over the Internet requires a download speed of at least 5 megabits per second. (Check yours at speedtest.net.)

College students and moochers may not have to worry about paying for fast Internet. But for many of us, the best deal comes from the likes of Comcast,Time Warner,AT&T or Verizon, which push TV-and-Internet bundles that make stand-alone service look pricey.

You may have more options than you realize. To check, enter your address at broadbandmap.gov and be sure to click “Show Wired.”

2) You’ll miss some popular TV.

Cable gets you accustomed to a never-ending buffet of shows. Streaming puts you on a TV diet—at least for current-season fare. Sling TV broke new ground earlier this year by streaming live channels from cable—but only about 20 of them.

So far, only PlayStation Vue can really compete with basic cable’s channel lineup. It offers between 50 and 80-plus live channels, including NBC, CBS and Fox. (Expect more channels to join soon.) But Vue is missing ABC—no “Modern Family,” no “Scandal,” no “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”

My dream TV would be downloadable a la carte, with app-like channels. Yet so far, only CBS and a few other networks are available for streaming without a cable subscription. Meanwhile, Sling TV and Vue bundle many channels together, including plenty you may not care for, just like the cable you’re eager to ditch.

Another way to get the shows you want is to wait for them—potentially for a long, long time. A cable-cutter who still can’t miss being part of the water-cooler chatter would need a live streaming service like Vue or Sling TV. Hulu Plus can fill in the gaps with some of the latest shows from Fox, NBC and ABC, if you can wait a day. Netflix and Amazon Prime may require you to wait a year or more for all but original shows.

There’s hope: Broadcasters and show creators are cooking up cable-free options fast. HBO Now launches in April for the new season of “Game of Thrones.”

3) Internet TV means juggling gadgets, too.

Assuming you can find the shows you want online, chances are you won’t find them all on one service. Or even one remote control.

Streaming services are using deals with certain channels and gadget-makers to differentiate themselves. Want ESPN? You’ll need Sling TV on a Roku or Xbox. Want Fox News? Only on Vue with a PlayStation. Want HBO Now? That requires owning an Apple TV—a total of three pieces of hardware if you want them all.

No combination of devices is as easy as just changing the channel, or choosing shows saved on the DVR.

And saving shows to watch later is another problem. Streaming services like Amazon Prime and Netflix give you shows on demand (albeit often last season’s). The newer live services have more limits: Sling TV only lets you find shows from the past three days—and even then only on a few channels. Vue lets you record anything, but will only store it for 28 days.

There’s hope: The Apple TV streaming device is due for a major refresh. And Roku simplifies things with a universal search tool to find shows across lots of different on-demand services.

4) All this effort may not save you money.

Now, we do the math. The average cost of the video portion of a U.S. cable bill is $80 to $90 a month (including pay-per-view movies and premium channels), according to telecom analyst Craig Moffett. Broadband Internet adds up to $50 on top of that in a bundle, he estimates. Your price may vary, especially with discounts for the first two years, but let’s say the combo costs $130.

But cutting cable and buying Internet alone is more expensive, about $60 a month. It isn’t hard to match the cost of cable with Internet streaming services—and actually end up with less TV.

Get Vue ($50 to $70, depending on your package) and HBO Now ($15) and you’re already at $125.

Alternatively, a decent package of live and on-demand content could include Sling TV ($20), HBO Now ($15), Hulu ($8) and CBS All Access ($5)—you’re up to $108. And if you still wanted live broadcast networks, you’d need to get an aerial antenna.

Cable companies are onto this. Comcast is offering new customers Internet and 140-channel cable TV—including HBO—for $80 a month, with prices rising after a year.

Last year, I shaved my family’s Comcast plan from $213 a month to a $75 no-contract service called Internet Plus that includes broadband, basic local cable channels and HBO. Other cable companies have similar deals.

There’s hope: Now that Internet companies can make their own channel bundles, perhaps we’ll see some designed for specific interests that can save us money. Classic movie-lovers shouldn’t have to pay for baseball games they’ll never watch. Sports junkies who don’t care about nature documentaries shouldn’t pay for them, either. At some point, a smart company may figure out a way to make everybody happy.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-cabl...now-1427225376

Last edited by dad1153; 03-24-2015 at 05:13 PM.
post #100648 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Quote:
Nielsen Overnights
James Corden’s ‘Late Late Show’ Debut Opens With 1.66 Million Tuned In
By Lisa de Moraes, Deadline.com - Mar. 24, 2015

James Corden’s unveiling as new host of CBS’s Late Late Show delivered 1.66 million viewers, according to preliminary figures – the franchise’s largest audience since November 14 of 2011 – as well as a 0.4 in adults 18-49, 0.5 in adults 25-54 and 0.2 in adults 18-34.

That’s a stretch from the number clocked by Late Late Show’s previous host Craig Ferguson, whose debut on January 3, 2005, clocked in at 2.1 million total viewers when the dust had settled.

CBS preferred to note that, compared to the September-December averages, Corden’s debut was up 13% in viewers (from 1.47 million), up 33% in adults 18-49 (from 0.3), up 25% in adults 25-54 (from 0.4) and even in adults 18-34. And, compared to the same night last year, Corden improved by 22% in viewers (from 1.36 million) and even in adults 25-54, adults 18-49 and adults 18-34.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/james-co...ut-1201397519/
Is it possible that late night is in the best shape it has been in since Carson and Snyder?
post #100649 of 100746 Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 995
Quote:
TV/Technology Notes
Why Cable TV Beats the Internet, For Now
By Geoffrey A. Fowler, Wall Street Journal's 'Personal Technology' Column - Mar. 24, 2015

Are you ready to cut cable?

Probably not—yet.

Cable companies are onto this. Comcast is offering new customers Internet and 140-channel cable TV—including HBO—for $80 a month, with prices rising after a year.
Not just new customers either, I've been on a 'new customer' double play promo with them for years and my bill is just now hitting $100 a month for 50mb HSI and all channels + HBO.

Just gotta call and talk to retention when the promo expires. Given that HSI alone would cost $60+ a month, TV is cheap.
post #100650 of 100746 Old 03-25-2015, 01:20 AM

Business Notes
RadioShack's bankruptcy auction may include your personal data
By Benjamin Snyder, Fortune.com - Mar. 24, 2015

If you shopped at RadioShack before the company started closing its stores en masse earlier this year, your personal data could be up for bid in the company’s bankruptcy auctions.

More than 13 million e-mail addresses and 65 million customers’ names and addresses are included in the RadioShack auctions that began this week, Bloomberg reports. The data trove could also include information about shoppers’ buying behavior.

However, two separate legal challenges could prevent RadioShack from auctioning off customers’ data. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton argues RadioShack agreed not to sell customers’ data, while AT&T says some of the company’s data about shopping habits actually belongs to the telecom company, Bloomberg notes.

Whether or not RadioShack survives the bankruptcy process depends largely on whether a federal bankruptcy court approves what’s said to be a successful bid for the company’s assets by hedge fund Standard General. RadioShack said when it entered bankruptcy last month it planned for Standard General to take over up to half the company’s retail locations and turn them into stores for Sprint cellphones. The court’s decision on approving or rejecting Standard’s bid is expected later this week.

RadioShack’s sales dipped 16% in its last quarter with losses spanning 11 consecutive quarters. The company said in its Chapter 11 filing that it had $1.2 billion in assets along with $1.39 billion in debt.

http://fortune.com/2015/03/24/radios...nkruptcy-data/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page