'Big Bang Theory' in HDTV on CBS - Page 133 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 900Likes

post #3961 of 4123 Old 08-21-2018, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 273
If an "employer" is willing to pay it, I say go for it ! Take it while you can ! I just won't feel sorry for someone that's "broke" in a decade. There's simply NO EXCUSE....
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 4123 Old 08-21-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith1 View Post
Amazing they were able to make that much an episode. The first time I recall cast members making that much per episode was the Seinfeld cast, and TBBT is not even in the same league of that show IMO.

To think the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers cast were getting paid in peanuts despite ranking in millions of dollars for Saban Entertainment, and he fired half the cast when they asked for a pay raise during the second season. Haim Saban is a billionaire today.

Hollywood morally sucks.
I did a check and $1MM in 1998 would be about $1.5MM today. So the Seinfeld gang still make considerably more.
phildaant likes this.
post #3963 of 4123 Old 08-22-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
I did a check and $1MM in 1998 would be about $1.5MM today. So the Seinfeld gang still make considerably more.
The back-end money is huge for these guys. They also have some producing rights, like Jim Parsons on Young Sheldon. Regardless, their ends are meeting quite well and they are set for life as long as they stay away from Hookers and Blow (unlike Charlie Sheen!).

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3964 of 4123 Old 08-22-2018, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Next year (2019) will be the last season .... unless people change their mind. According to news reports just moments ago....
phildaant likes this.
post #3965 of 4123 Old 08-22-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
Next year (2019) will be the last season .... unless people change their mind. According to news reports just moments ago....
I just saw this on http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/%e2...ons/ar-BBMiie6 ... I hope they do end it. Let's end it with its big bang.
post #3966 of 4123 Old 08-22-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is my favorite show although I do prefer the re-runs more (still plenty of Penny, but less Amy and Bernadette).
post #3967 of 4123 Old 08-23-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 1225
It’s probably past time to kill it. Last season was bland, to say the least.
phildaant and Tornado Red like this.
post #3968 of 4123 Old 08-23-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 2307
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post
I thought last season was better than Season 10.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #3969 of 4123 Old 08-23-2018, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3652 Post(s)
Liked: 2064
Quote:
It has entered that area like The Simpsons and other long running sit coms. You hope each season there are a couple of episodes that really make you laugh. Beyond that, most episodes will usually have a line or two that make you chuckle. It is enough to bring an audience back each week.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #3970 of 4123 Old 08-24-2018, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
The Big Bang Theory ending because Jim Parsons was ready to leave
By Lynette Rice, EW.com - Aug. 22, 2018

CBS and Warner Bros. TV made the decision to end The Big Bang Theory in 2019 because star Jim Parsons was ready to walk away from the hit sitcom, EW has learned exclusively.

With a reported salary near $1 million per episode, Parsons — along with his four original costars Kaley Cuoco, Johnny Galecki, Kunal Nayyar, and Simon Helberg — stood to make more than $50 million including profits if he agreed to stay on TBBT for two more years, which is what CBS was trying to negotiate.

But Parsons was ready to say goodbye to the ensemble sitcom that made him a household name. Since there is no show without Dr. Sheldon Cooper, next spring’s 12th season finale of The Big Bang Theory will mark the end of the longest-running multi-camera series in TV history.

EW has reached out to Parsons’ representatives for comment.

Twelve years is a long time for any actor to stay on a show, even if it leads to four Emmy wins, one Golden Globe, a voice-over role in the spin-off Young Sheldon, and choice gigs in film and on Broadway. But Parsons deserves the right to walk away, especially at a time when his character has, frankly, done and said it all. In the 11th season finale, he and his longtime girlfriend Amy (Mayim Bialik) finally tied the knot.

In a joint statement, Warner Bros. Television, CBS and Chuck Lorre Productions said, “We are forever grateful to our fans for their support of The Big Bang Theory during the past 12 seasons. We, along with the cast, writers and crew, are extremely appreciative of the show’s success and aim to deliver a final season, and series finale, that will bring The Big Bang Theory to an epic creative close.”

The 12th and final season of The Big Bang Theory will debut Monday, Sept. 24 on CBS before moving to its regular time period on Thursday, Sept. 27.

https://ew.com/tv/2018/08/22/the-big...eady-to-leave/

post #3971 of 4123 Old 08-24-2018, 08:35 AM

LOL, it is Patrick Stewart all over again.

My guess is that now that Parsons has enough money he will look more to Broadway and the theater.

post #3972 of 4123 Old 08-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
I don't feel sorry that they reduced their salaries. I am sure the originals feel they make a good living.

The reality of living in LA is that the first years salary gave them a comfortable living. Now, they are set for life.
How much of the negotiated contract amount do the actor's get after the agent/manager cut/etc?

Whatever the answer, these values highlight the winner-takes-all/ lottery culture we have in the US.

Yes, these actors lucked out, as without BBT, they probably would have been minor character actors or left the business.

After Blossom, Bialik went and got her PhD in Neuroscience- yes, she really is what she portrays (career-wise, not character wise) on BBT
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayim_Bialik

and she probably would be just doing her day job had she not lucked out with BBT.

I've read many times how Europeans laugh at the amounts we pay actors (and CEO, sports players, etc).

Think about how much you have/think you will have in your 401s/IRAs/assets when you retire in your 50's or 60's (Or later for some)

...and Parsons gets $1M per EPISODE (not season)!?
(for about a week or 2 of work!)

Now put your heads down worker units and continue your toil!
Ericglo likes this.

Last edited by Rgb; 08-24-2018 at 11:55 AM.
post #3973 of 4123 Old 08-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Well, at least the workers in this case got a cut.

IIRC Mayim had been looking to get back into acting. Fortunately, she got the one off on BBT and it turned into a regular gig.

post #3974 of 4123 Old 08-25-2018, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Well, at least the workers in this case got a cut.

IIRC Mayim had been looking to get back into acting. Fortunately, she got the one off on BBT and it turned into a regular gig.
And I love that she is mentioned by Raj back in S1 to replace Sheldon on the quiz bowl team as “the girl who played TV’s Blossom”!
post #3975 of 4123 Old 08-27-2018, 04:04 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Agreed- funny how ~7 seasons is exactly right for most character dramas/comedies, unless your'e a Law & Order or MASH...

As for BBT, from a practical POV, we know the characters, they all developed relationships/married/kids and all the geek culture stuff (Star Trek, Star Wars, comic book culture, movie geek stuff, science geek stuff, being an astronaut, etc) has been said and done...

(and all the actors got their ka-ching)

Last edited by Rgb; 08-27-2018 at 04:38 AM.
post #3976 of 4123 Old 08-27-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Agreed- funny how ~7 seasons is exactly right for most character dramas/comedies, unless your'e a Law & Order or MASH...

As for BBT, from a practical POV, we know the characters, they all developed relationships/married/kids and all the geek culture stuff (Star Trek, Star Wars, comic book culture, movie geek stuff, science geek stuff, being an astronaut, etc) has been said and done...

(and all the actors got their ka-ching)
Seven seasons was right for MASH, too. It hung on too long. I can't watch the episodes after Radar is gone.
post #3977 of 4123 Old 08-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzen102 View Post
Seven seasons was right for MASH, too. It hung on too long. I can't watch the episodes after Radar is gone.
Definitely more maudlin as the later seasons progressed, but still many excellent eps re: acting/writing/drama/concepts.
post #3978 of 4123 Old 08-28-2018, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Kind of a slap in the face to the rest of the cast that they decide the show can't go on without Sheldon. Sure he as an integral part but to cancel the whole thing because of one person? This isn't the Sheldon show, they had a large ensemble of stars that could have carried this one, including Stuart taking on a larger role.
mike1812 likes this.

post #3979 of 4123 Old 08-28-2018, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 481
^ It kind of *is* the Sheldon show. But after 12 years I'm fine with it ending. In re-runs I mainly look for the first 5 or 6 seasons and don't bother with the later ones.
post #3980 of 4123 Old 08-28-2018, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Will they juice the commercial load, too? Episodes will probably be about 14 minutes of actual content.

While I'm in to the end just to see how it all wraps up, let's not pretend it hasn't been on fumes for some time now.
replayrob likes this.
post #3981 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 12:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Parsons is 45. He has found his footing as an actor and his voice as a human being in the last few years, not on BBT, but on stage and in films. If he's ever going to graduate to the big leagues, he must do it now.

As for the show continuing without him, how often does that work? After 12 seasons, nobody wants to watch some patched-up version of a show featuring a bunch of middle-aged actors playing younger characters limp into the sunset. And I doubt the actors themselves would want that as a legacy.

A purposeful, celebratory final season is exactly what this show needs. Let's hope they can pull it off, and then be happy they knew it was time to stop.
phildaant and NickTheGreat like this.
post #3982 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Kind of a slap in the face to the rest of the cast that they decide the show can't go on without Sheldon. Sure he as an integral part but to cancel the whole thing because of one person? This isn't the Sheldon show, they had a large ensemble of stars that could have carried this one, including Stuart taking on a larger role.

They could retool it 10 years after Sheldon disappears in a quantum physics experiment, but there's still an entanglement with Penny, who he's apparently with in the alternate timeline. Hey, it'd be better than any new comedy CBS is likely to come up with...
mike1812 and phildaant like this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #3983 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 09:46 AM
buz

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
As for the show continuing without him, how often does that work? After 12 seasons, nobody wants to watch some patched-up version of a show featuring a bunch of middle-aged actors playing younger characters limp into the sunset. And I doubt the actors themselves would want that as a legacy.
Actually, I think cast changes is what makes shows last longer, it gives the writers the chance to tell new stories. Think of some of the long running shows, and how they had sometimes massive cast changes over time. When ER finished after what about 15 years, was there anyone on the show from when it started and and when it ended?

MASH
Cheers
NCIS
ER
CSI
Dr Who
Law and Order
Bonanza

Those are just off the top of my head. But I do see your point as well, sometimes cast changes can be a deathblow if someone too important leaves.

Buz
phildaant likes this.
post #3984 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by buz View Post
Actually, I think cast changes is what makes shows last longer, it gives the writers the chance to tell new stories. Think of some of the long running shows, and how they had sometimes massive cast changes over time. When ER finished after what about 15 years, was there anyone on the show from when it started and and when it ended?

MASH
Cheers
NCIS
ER
CSI
Dr Who
Law and Order
Bonanza

Those are just off the top of my head. But I do see your point as well, sometimes cast changes can be a deathblow if someone too important leaves.

Buz
I see what you're saying, but I think sitcoms are generally different. There are exceptions, sure, but even those tend to be comedies that have an element of drama, where the premise is secondary to the character-driven storytelling. BBT has always been a straight-up sitcom.

As for Sheldon, I think it's just a fact that he is the distinctive character that the others react to, and are funny mostly in the context of those reactions. Without Sheldon, the show would need to fabricate an entirely new premise.
phildaant likes this.
post #3985 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 01:40 PM
PMA

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Parsons is 45. He has found his footing as an actor and his voice as a human being in the last few years, not on BBT, but on stage and in films. If he's ever going to graduate to the big leagues, he must do it now.

A purposeful, celebratory final season is exactly what this show needs. Let's hope they can pull it off, and then be happy they knew it was time to stop.
This
phildaant likes this.
post #3986 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cool

Quote:

He's 45? Wow, I didn't know he was that old (older than me!)! I agree. Let's just end TBBT with its big bang. I hope they don't end it like Seinfeld's crap ending.
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #3987 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
He's 45? Wow, I didn't know he was that old (older than me!)! I agree. Let's just end TBBT with its big bang. I hope they don't end it like Seinfeld's crap ending.
Nothing can be worse than How I Met Your Mother. I mean, the show was great, but the last season and last episode were terrible.
replayrob and phildaant like this.
post #3988 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Nothing can be worse than How I Met Your Mother. I mean, the show was great, but the last season and last episode were terrible.
Worse? Wow. I could not get into that series.
post #3989 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post

They all are up in age a lil to old for the parts they’re currently playing. Wardrobe and etc has been fooling us to believe these characters for a while. Parsons receding hairline created the whole storyline of the change in haircut and Galecki is paunchier than ever.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #3990 of 4123 Old 08-29-2018, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
Galecki is paunchier than ever.
Must be all that great cooking his wife provides. But you'd think that all of that great sex would offset the paunch.
gomo657 likes this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page