'Big Bang Theory' in HDTV on CBS - Page 137 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 900Likes

post #4081 of 4123 Old 04-23-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Yeah . . . I think I"m ready for this to be done. And it appears that the cast and everybody else is too.
rezzy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 4123 Old 04-23-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 805
My take on the show... during the first few seasons the cast was socially inept/nerds and the humor revolved around "ducks out of water" and the ability to relate to the nerd factor. As they assimilated into society and their nerdiness has been embraced over the years you are only left with the characters. The characters themselves and their story arc's aren't interesting enough to stay invested in. As such I largely lost interest years ago and at best have a passing interest in where they are today.
Ericglo likes this.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |

Last edited by Charles R; 04-23-2019 at 10:33 AM.
post #4083 of 4123 Old 04-23-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm in till the end, and none of y'all can ruin it for me.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4084 of 4123 Old 05-06-2019, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3442 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
The last episode wasn't bad. I am glad that they got rid of the Nobel competition story line. Really happy to see Kripki one last time.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #4085 of 4123 Old 05-07-2019, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1881 Post(s)
Liked: 2254
So guys, what would you do if you were in Sheldon's shoes (not Sheldon, but you) and you had all that information at your fingertips that could ruin him and help you secure the nobel prize. Would you use it?

Me.... Hell yeah! Doesn't the Nobel come with a lot of money too? I couldn't get the stuff published fast enough.

post #4086 of 4123 Old 05-07-2019, 04:32 AM

LOL, yeah I would burn him.

post #4087 of 4123 Old 05-07-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
The last episode wasn't bad. I am glad that they got rid of the Nobel competition story line. Really happy to see Kripki one last time.
Agreed. Kripki is awesome
post #4088 of 4123 Old 05-09-2019, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

How lovable 'Big Bang Theory' pals matured (well, not always) over the show's 12 seasons
By Bill Keveney, USA Today - May 9, 2019

The long-running success of CBS’ “The Big Bang Theory” might be explained as the Sitcom Theory of Evolution: survival of the ever-so-gradually maturing.

“The characters grew. It expanded the relationships and what the characters were capable of doing,” co-creator Chuck Lorre says of the top-rated comedy, which features a visit from Christine Baranski as Leonard's domineering mother in Thursday's episode (8 EDT/PDT).

A quartet of socially awkward scientist buddies – Sheldon, Leonard, Howard and Raj – and their ingenue neighbor, Penny, embraced adulthood in their own ways and, joined by Amy and Bernadette, found new friendships, marriages and careers over 12 seasons and 279 episodes. The one-hour series finale airs May 16.

“When the show began, Sheldon couldn’t touch people," but now he's married, Lorre says of Jim Parsons’ intellectually transcendent and socially obtuse physicist. Simon Helberg’s Howard “was this obnoxious, delusional playboy," but "he ends up as a devoted husband and father.”

The actors offer their thoughts on how their alter egos have evolved:

Johnny Galecki (Leonard Hofstadter)
Leonard, another brilliant physicist, went from a shy, insecure young man who pined for Penny, the unattainable girl next door, to a (somewhat) more confident suitor who married her.

“I read over some of my initial notes about Leonard when we were doing the pilot and how much I thought the character was focused not just on Penny’s looks and charm but on her being the portal for him to experience life in a way he was too afraid to at the time. She completely brought him out of his shell.”

Kaley Cuoco (Penny Hofstadter)
Penny began as a struggling young actress, socially savvier than her neighbors but without their book smarts. She grew as a person, building a solid career as a pharmaceutical sales rep and bonding with people who seem so different on the surface.

“Penny was the weird one in the group. She was more excluded than the other way around, (but) she definitely earned her spot with those guys,” Cuoco says. "She earned the right to roll her eyes and give them a hard time."

At the start, “Penny was a 21-year-old moving into her first apartment, and now she’s married and has a career. Her life has changed tremendously. But she still loves wine. That’s what stayed the same.” ("It's a better echelon of wine" now, Galecki jokes.)

Jim Parsons (Sheldon Cooper)
Quirky Sheldon made the biggest strides in finding his humanity – with the help of his friends and scientist wife, Amy – because he had the furthest to go. It didn't hurt professionally, either, as he and Amy are candidates for a Nobel Prize.

But Parsons revels in the ways his character hasn’t changed.

“My very favorite thing about Sheldon is him not getting it, not understanding when certain things are said,” he says. “I’m cleaning out my dressing room, as we all are, and I found these pieces of paper from a (Season 3) episode where I have taken Penny to the emergency room. And I remember the scene vividly, reading, ‘When was your last menstrual cycle?’ And her just glaring at me. I’ll say one inappropriate thing after another. … We’ve gotten a lot of gold from that mine of just not getting it.”

Simon Helberg (Howard Wolowitz)
At the start, Howard acted like a player, lived with his mother and came off a little creepy. Now he’s a former astronaut married to Bernadette and the father of two children – but he can still be a little creepy.

“It’s sort of like he got Febrezed. The stink is still there, but there’s something masking it,” Helberg says. “You can’t have characters just make hard, fast left turns. The luxury of 12 years is that you get to see these guys and women grow and affect each other and almost change in real time.”

Kunal Nayyar (Raj Koothrappali)
Astrophysicist Raj was so stunted he couldn’t speak to women unless he was drunk. Over time, he has become more confident, dating women and briefly becoming engaged to Anu.

"It’s great to have Raj grow, and it’ll be lovely to see how it ends,” Nayyar says. Raj and Anu now are “just kind of dating and seeing where it goes. I always think it will be fitting in the end if Raj realizes that before he’s able to love anyone, he has to love himself.”

Mayim Bialik (Amy Farrah Fowler)
Amy, originally closed off to romantic possibilities, flourished as she developed a relationship with Sheldon and friendships with the others, especially Penny and Bernadette.

Bialik, who has a Ph.D. in neuroscience, is proud of the show's representation of women in STEM fields, but she’s happiest about its appreciation and normalization of scientists.

“I love that Bernadette and Amy are both scientists who love what they do and thrive in the scientific arena, but ('Big Bang'), to me, (has) a genderless appeal,” she says. “These characters show there’s a full life out there. I think that resonates with a lot of kids and adults, especially if they’re in these fields.”

Melissa Rauch (Bernadette Rostenkowski-Wolowitz)
Viewers met Bernadette when she worked with Penny at the Cheesecake Factory while studying for her Ph.D. in microbiology. She has since gone on to a successful career in pharmaceuticals, marriage to Howard and motherhood.

“I love how they delved into Bernadette’s motherhood journey” and her evolving feelings about having a child, says Rauch, who has a young daughter. “I think that was so beautifully handled, those very real emotions.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...on/1126047001/

post #4089 of 4123 Old 05-10-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 754
S12 e22

No comments about this episode?
phildaant likes this.
post #4090 of 4123 Old 05-10-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
I thought last nights episode was one of the strongest of the season. Lots of laughs in it.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #4091 of 4123 Old 05-10-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I thought last nights episode was one of the strongest of the season. Lots of laughs in it.
I was at first getting wound up with Leonard's Mom but happy it turned out. She's still portrayed as a cold hearted analytical woman!
Dave Vaughn and phildaant like this.
post #4092 of 4123 Old 05-10-2019, 08:27 AM

Good episode. I thought they were going to send Raj off to England, but I guess he will stay. Stuart will move out.

post #4093 of 4123 Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 416
Quote:
Good episode. I thought they were going to send Raj off to England, but I guess he will stay. Stuart will move out.
That's what I thought too. But I sense some sort of twist coming. And good for Stuart.
post #4094 of 4123 Old 05-10-2019, 09:16 AM

Possibly. I hope they don't do a zany finale like Two and a Half Men.

I was thinking it was great that they brought back Leonard's mom one last time. I then remembered that we haven't seen Sheldon's mom in awhile. I wonder if they will have her on next week.

post #4095 of 4123 Old 05-10-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

When they brought back Leonard's mom I groaned. I really grew tired of her character. But they played it perfectly. Feigning interest in Leonard's work and then asking those questions with the multiple choice was laugh out loud funny. Then they throw that last moment in, VERY touching.

This episode cemented the fact that this show could have continued, and probably been even funnier, if they replaced Sheldon with Stuart full time. He rocks in this show and I find him way more funny then Sheldon at this point.

The creepy roommate was awesome. That last scene, now both turn to me and say it, awesome!

Agreed, one of the strongest episodes this season.
Dave Vaughn and mike1812 like this.

post #4096 of 4123 Old 05-10-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"That guy creeps me out. And that's coming from me!"

Stuart is awesome.
Dave Vaughn, mike1812 and 18Hurts like this.
post #4097 of 4123 Old 05-11-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd personally love to Stuart get his own spin-off show. He has great comedic timing.
mike1812 likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #4098 of 4123 Old 05-16-2019, 05:32 AM

Tonight is the last night. CBS is pulling everything out. One hour finale at 8. Sheldon after that followed by a retrospective. SWAT at 10 should get big ratings tonight.

post #4099 of 4123 Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 PM

Not a bad way to close it out. Sheldon and Amy accept the Nobel and Penny gets pregnant. They didn't do anything over the top like Two and a half Men, which was probably a good thing.

I have noticed that the cast is every where. It kind of seems like Lost when they finished their series.

I must confess that I am more sad now thinking of this ending. I realized that I only watch a handful of sit coms. This one is over. Last Man Standing was put into mid season replacement. Modern Family ends next year. I may not have any sit coms to watch in the not to distant future.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

post #4100 of 4123 Old 05-16-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

When the song ended!

I did for a second have that "empty feeling" knowing that was the last episode. I really enjoyed how they wrapped it up. Sheldon finally was told how selfish he had been. It apparently worked. The only question was did Raj hook up with "Buffy"? To be continued!
WilliamR likes this.
post #4101 of 4123 Old 05-17-2019, 12:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 546
I had issues with the ending. Sheldon has made baby steps throughout the 12 season, I do not see him making a giant leap in 30 minutes. Suspending my belief on that point the ending was as good a way to end and I'd guess fitting.
post #4102 of 4123 Old 05-17-2019, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

I think everything they did was a fitting end to each character, including the elevator.

I am really going to miss this show. Sure it had its ups and downs, hits and misses, but I have enjoyed it immensely and it is sad there will be no new ones anymore. Not many sitcoms are as good as this one, it really struck home to the nerd inside me. Thanks to CBS and the showrunners for a great series. Kudos!

post #4103 of 4123 Old 05-17-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 416
They did a great job of wrapping everything up. I was hoping the elevator being fixed would be in the final scene, at least they did it.

And Young Sheldon did a great job of tying into the BBT finale.

I'm with Ericglo. Even though the show grew tired the last couple of seasons, I am still going to miss any new shows. We have been watching it, Life in Pieces, and a few sitcoms on ABC. Life in Pieces has been cancelled and the ones we watch on ABC don't produce many gut-busting moments.

Bazinga!
Dave Vaughn and Ph8te like this.
post #4104 of 4123 Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Overall, I think they wrapped up the series pretty well. Wonder if we will see any spin-offs popup over the next year or so.

As if I wasn't sad enough over BBT ending, the last few posts have informed me that my 2 other favorite shows are either cancelled (Life In Pieces) or pushed from the fall lineup (Last Man Standing).

Anyone have suggestions for new shows to feast my eyes on?
post #4105 of 4123 Old 05-17-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought they ended the show on a high note. Both of the episodes were LOL funny and I'm sad that they are going off the air. After 12 years, they're part of the family now. If you don't watch it already, watch Young Sheldon. It's absolutely wonderful and consistently good. It took about 5 or 6 episodes to get going in the beginning, but it's been hitting on all cylinders since then. Its finale did a great job of tying into Big Bang in its final scene as well. As for other sit comes, I haven't found any quality ones. I still watch Last Man Standing, but it lost a lot of its mojo the year it was off the air.

post #4106 of 4123 Old 05-17-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
I thought it was a great send-off. Perhaps second to Bob Newhart's.
post #4107 of 4123 Old 05-17-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
I thought it was a great send-off. Perhaps second to Bob Newhart's.
I love the last line that said something along the lines of "You should really wear more sweaters."

That was hilarious.

post #4108 of 4123 Old 05-17-2019, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
You mean the Chuck Lorre vanity cards?

The End
Sharp1080 likes this.
post #4109 of 4123 Old 05-18-2019, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Well done...thanks for the ride.

Peachtree City Golf Cart Rider
post #4110 of 4123 Old 05-18-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
I must confess that I am more sad now thinking of this ending. I realized that I only watch a handful of sit coms.
Until ~1 year ago, it was the only sitcom I watch (I watch next to nothing on 'network' TV). I do watch Young Sheldon now.

"I bet Sheldon will win a Nobel", said Dr Sturgis. The tie-in on Young Sheldon was neat. Did anyone notice, but I think young Bernadette was the girl that played Hailey (sp?) in TBBT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page